• Published 20th Nov 2012
  • 5,157 Views, 97 Comments

Alternate Geoverse #1: To Learn Is Human - GeodesicDragon



A human is transported to Equestria after a near-death experience. His first contact is with a certain teacher and three of her students. From there a friendship blossoms into love. Part of the Alternate Geoverse.

  • ...
22
 97
 5,157

Acceptance

CHAPTER FIVE

Acceptance

As Cheerilee brought her lips to mine my mind went blank and I sat wide-eyed in amazement. The contact was surprising, but at the same time it wasn't unwelcome. I could see disappointment on Cheerilee's face so, realising what was wrong, I quickly returned her kiss — which elicited a squeal of surprise from the mare.

Eventually she pulled away from me and gazed into my eyes. A small smile spread across both of our faces as I rubbed the back of my head nervously.

"Well that," I coughed, "was certainly unexpected. I had no idea you felt that way about me. What made you act on your feelings?"

"It was what the Crusaders said earlier," Cheerilee replied, "that made me realise the truth. We have spent the last nine months living together, and I like to think that in that time we've got to know each other really well. You are quite simply the most wonderful person I've ever met."

"I'm the only person you've ever met," I said with a grin, "but I know what you mean. In the time we've spent together I have stopped seeing you as a friend and more as my female self. Like me, you are caring and courteous with a heart of gold. And all the times when you've helped me because I've been feeling homesick can attest to that kindness."

"And when the Crusaders thought we were together," Cheerilee said, "it made me realise how much I wanted that to be true. I love you, Geo, and I want you to call me your special somepony."

"I love you too Cheerilee," I replied, "and I want you to call me your special somebody."

Cheerilee nodded and the two of us shared another kiss. And in that moment, for both of us, nothing else mattered but being close and enjoying each others company.

***

The next day, for the first time, I woke up next to Cheerilee. The two of us had decided to share a bed, although we both agreed that it was too soon in our relationship for a 'full union'. We both awoke at the same time, both of us smiling broadly and sharing a tender kiss before going through the usual morning rituals.

We walked to the schoolhouse together, although we were a lot closer than usual. As we walked through the gates into the playground, the Crusaders were the first to approach us. It didn't take them long to work out what our close contact meant. Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle grinned while Scootaloo groaned.

"Ah knew y'all were together!" Apple Bloom said, "But... why did ya tell us you weren't? That means ya lied ta us! Why on—"

Cheerilee raised a forehoof to silence her.

"When you asked us the first time," she replied, "we weren't together. So technically we didn't lie to you. It was only after the three of you went home did I realise that I did love Geo, so I asked him how he felt about the idea of a relationship with a pony."

"I told her," I continued, "that I was fine with the idea. She responded to this by kissing me. I kissed her back and... well, here we are now. So thank you, girls, for making Cheerilee and myself realise that we were meant to be together."

The three of them gasped in delight and quickly stood up. They checked their flanks, but groaned when they realised that none of them had earned a cutie mark in matchmaking.

"Don't worry, girls," Cheerilee soothed, "you'll get them eventually. But at least this time when you got involved with my love life you didn't have to use a potion on me."

She smiled warmly to let them know she was joking. The three fillies laughed nervously as the bell rang, much to their relief, and they rushed into the schoolhouse as quickly as their little hooves would carry them. Cheerilee and I rolled our eyes and went inside to start the lessons for the day.

***

By the end of the day the whole town knew about the new-found relationship between Cheerilee and I. At first I thought the Crusaders had blabbed, but then I remembered how close the two of us had been walking on the way to the schoolhouse. That alone was enough to set tongues wagging, but I didn't care.

As we walked home later that day hunger stepped in and demanded to be sated, so the two of us walked over to Sugarcube Corner. I opened the door for Cheerilee — who was nearly blasted back outside by the force of a hundred cheering ponies.

"SURPRISE!"

By the look of things nearly every pony in town had turned up to this gathering, which had to have been organised by Pinkie Pie. The cheery mare rushed up to my side and reared up, wrapping her forehooves around my waist.

"I heard that you and Cheerilee were a couple now," she said quickly, "so I put together this special celebration party for you! Do you both like it? Huh, huh? Do you?"

She let go of me and returned to all fours, bouncing happily on the spot with a large grin on her face. All around us, the assembled guests looked on in anticipation. Cheerilee and I exchanged a smile and nodded, much to Pinkie's delight.

"I knew you'd like it!" she squealed, "Because I've never met a pony, or a human for that matter, who didn't like my parties!"

She disappeared into the crowd and vanished from sight, allowing everypony nearby to offer us their own congratulations. Within minutes the party was in full swing, and I was sitting with Cheerilee in one of the bakery's many booths.

"This," I muttered, "has to be the most acceptance I have ever been shown in my entire life."

Cheerilee giggled and nuzzled my cheek.

"Welcome to Ponyville," she cooed, "the friendliest town in all of Equestria. Ponies here are always willing to accept new things... within acceptable limits of course."

"It's a good thing you added that," I grinned, "because I was about to call you out on it."

I put my arm around her and brought her in for a hug. She leaned into me with a contented sigh as the Cutie Mark Crusaders trotted up to the booth, Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle both sporting large smiles while Scootaloo wore an expression that bordered both sweet and disgusted.

"Hi, Miss Cheerilee!" Sweetie Belle chirped, "Hi, Geo! Are you enjoying the party?"

"We are indeed, Sweetie Belle." I replied, "Pinkie Pie sure knows how to throw a good one. And what about you three, are you enjoying yourselves?"

"We sure are!" Apple Bloom said, "But we just wanted ta come by an' tell ya how pleased we are that the two of you are finally together. An' we're even more pleased by the fact ya got together 'cus of somethin' we said!"

"Yeah yeah," Scootaloo groaned, "it's really nice. Now can we go and get something to eat before Snips and Snails get it all?"

"Why, Scootaloo," I said with mock horror, "it would appear that you don't like our relationship."

"It's not that I don't like it." she quickly replied, "It's just that it's sappy, and if I want to be like Rainbow Dash then I need to avoid anything that's sappy."

Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle both sighed and facehoofed.

"Well at least two of us like the two of you being together." Sweetie Belle said, "We'll head off now. See you at school tomorrow!"

Cheerilee and I waved as the girls headed towards the refreshments while having a whispered argument about Scootaloo's attitude. Once they were out of sight I burst out laughing.

"Those fillies," I said, "never fail to make my day. They always know what to say or do to make me laugh."

Cheerilee giggled and leaned in closer to me. After a moment she spoke, her voice taking on a serious tone.

"Not everypony is going to be happy about this relationship," she said, "so do you think we should worry about that?"

I cast my gaze over the assembled party guests, all of whom were smiling, laughing and generally just having fun. I then returned my gaze to Cheerilee before kissing the top of her head.

"Not at all." I replied, "Not at all."

She smiled and we sat in contented silence for a while.

We were so busy enjoying each others company we failed to notice the pony standing at the door, with a look of seething anger clearly evident on their face.

Author's Note:

Before anyone asks, no, it's not Big Macintosh at the door. That would just be too obvious (not to mention clichéd). :facehoof: