• Published 11th Apr 2013
  • 1,998 Views, 110 Comments

Tamed II: As Time Went On - PiercingZen



A lone Pegasus finds himself involved in a ten year old struggle that never died. He discovers there is more to reality than he could ever dream. Here begins the continuation of Tamed where old grudges are settled and new ones are created.

  • ...
10
 110
 1,998

Chapter IV - Bringer of Light

Act 1 - Broken

Chapter IV – Bringer of Light

Edited by Vertorm

*****

After making it to the Wonderbolts Academy, I began to remember some of the terrible memories I had with Spitfire. When she was there in front of me, giving ME orders, all I could feel was anger and frustration. I wanted to best her. I wanted to show her up. Middy could somehow feel my pain and she told me one day that she would take care of it. I never knew what she meant by that until a few years afterwards, but that’s another story.

While I was there, I met some obnoxious pony named Lightning Dust. She was a decent flier, sure, but she lacked leadership, humility, and most of all… friendship. Midnight wasn’t too fond of her either. For some reason, Twilight, Middy was extremely protective of me. She wasn’t like this at all when we met her… Or was she? Dust didn’t make it very far and she was forgotten in time. I, on the other hoof, made it. I began to get hints after about six months being there, but I was eventually given a giant test to prove my worth. I had to stop a horrible natural disaster caused by some rogue storms in Manehattan. Let’s just say I became famous in a day… and end it with that.

*****

Rainbow Dash and I set out early. My side was finally starting to feel better. I could make it to a full gallop without too much going wrong. However, she told me I should still take it easy, and that we should go slow. It’s not like I had much of a choice, because she was the only one who knew the way to Ponyville. I would just take off on my own but recentlyI’ve been feeling this tingling on the back of my neck. Every night, I can feel something watching me. I can hear sounds outside and breathing in my ear. Each night, I feel safer and safer when Rainbow Dash is around. I think it’s stalking me… It was still angry with me, and it wanted me…

“Daydreaming again, Red? Am I boring you?”

Fyre heard the mare speak to him, and he shifted his attention to her. “No no… I was just thinking. I…”

“Thinking about what?”

He chuckled to himself. “Why must you always be so nosey, Dash?”

The two smiled at each other. Rainbow Dash had finally told him where he was. They were on the outskirts of White Tail Woods, a forest just around a hundred miles west of Ponyville. Around five miles away from Dash’s home, Fyre thought about just leaving her right then, but he wanted to honor his word. He would treat her normally the whole way, even if it meant staying with her.

“I dunno. Is there a good reason I shouldn’t be? You know, honesty has its perks.”

“Yeah, well… maybe I’ll tell you everything when the time’s right. Let’s just get to Ponyville first.”

Dash snickered. “You’re the boss. Besides, anything you tell me would probably just get me steaming again.”

“Yeah, but I’m used to that by now.” Rainbow Dash didn’t respond. After a few seconds, Fyre gazed into the horizon and sighed. It was still pretty early in the day. The weather wasn’t bad and the temperature was perfect; he wondered how long that would last. They were walking along a river, which was the same river she had found him in. Could it have been as simple as following it?

Something was itching at Fyre’s mind… It appeared she wasn’t the only nosey one. “So why were you so affronted… when I mentioned Ponyville?”

Dash raised a brow and laughed. “Affronted? Well, let’s just say you can’t always trust your friends… to stay friends.”

“You were betrayed?”

“You could say that. What set me off even more is that they didn’t even understand how they betrayed me.” She stopped and stomped a hoof. “They knew very well why!”

Fyre stopped as well. Apparently he did have a knack for getting her riled up. “What did they do?”

The question was a bit too much for her. She gradually calmed down, snorting and shaking her head. “It doesn’t matter. Heck, by now they’ve probably forgotten me too.”

“Are you sure they’re even still there?”

Dash turned her eyes to him. “I… hadn’t thought about that.”

“You know… time doesn’t stand still. As time goes on… things change… ponies change.”

“Have I changed?” she asked him.

Fyre just said the first thing that came to mind. “Well, you look older.”

She was slightly taken aback. “Older?! Ha!”

“I-I mean you look a lot more, uh… refined.”

Dash just rolled her eyes. “I think I’m beginning to know why you’re injured in the first place, Red. You have a way with words.”

Fyre just decided to bite the bullet and keep his mouth shut. He stared at the ground as he walked, being wary of any movements by the colorful mare. For a while, all he could hear was the sound of running water, the birds chirping, and the gentle stamping of their hooves on the grass. That was until…

“Go back.” Fyre heard something whisper into his left ear. Immediately, he gasped and jumped, completely turning around.

“Who said that?” Fyre quickly searched for the source of the voice. “Dash?” He turned around in place…she was gone. “Dash?!”

He felt a tingling in his spine as a feeling of dread set over him. A familiar feeling of losing his sensations of touch… smell… and hearing. He felt something pull on his chest. He could only hear the buzzing of complete silence and his own beating heart. He closed his eyes and inhaled slowly.

It’s these moments in life… when I don’t feel safe. When suddenly things begin to change and my nose begins to bleed. I can feel the sun moving… and the earth turning. I can feel… everything. Only recently have I begun to understand what this could all mean… and it frightens me.

“Daydreaming again, Red? Am I boring you?”

Fyre opened his eyes and turned to face Rainbow Dash. “No… I was just thinking about something.”

“Thinking about what?”

He scoffed. “Why can’t you mind your own business?”

*****

That night, we had made it over halfway to Ponyville. Rainbow had fortunately brought provisions Just hay and water, but I wasn’t complaining. I could see the alluring presence of the moon. It lit up the ground around us and protected us. I knew I was safe as long as it was there. There was not a cloud in sight…

“Let’s stop here, Red. We’ll sleep under this tree.” Dash motioned towards a fairly giant, lone tree next to the river. “I’ve actually napped here a couple times.”

Fyre looked around the massive tree. “I guess there are worse places to rest.” He smiled at her.

“Yeah, well, since you don’t like clouds…” She looked around the sky briefly. “And there doesn’t seem to be any… we really don’t have much choice.”

The stallion trotted over to the tree and sat on his haunches. “Looks that way.”

In a few seconds, Dash joined him next to the tree. She laid down her bags and began digging through them. “Hungry?” She tried to offer him something, but Fyre just stared at the moon in silence, She didn’t ask him again after waiting for a few seconds. Instead, she looked up at the moon as well. “You like the moon, huh?”

“It’s been a great help to me these past few years,” he replied. “It’s pretty much the only thing I can count on.”

Dash turned her head towards him. Her face was cringing with worry. “Do you not have anyone…? Other than her?”

“Do you?”

“I do now.”

“Is that your pick up line? I’ve heard better,” he sighed.

“Fyre… You’re doing it again.”

His gaze was still on the moon. “You know at this point? I could just leave you. You’ve told me where Ponyville is… What reason do I have to be around you now?”

“You don’t ever change, do you? You’re so eager to be alone, never trusting anyone.”

“What do you know?” Fyre received a gentle shove from Dash when he spoke.

“I know that even if you are so cold and bitter on the inside, you can actually be a nice guy. Part of me believes you enjoy being pleasant… even if it’s against your will.”

Fyre laughed at that one. His eyes finally fell upon Dash’s. “You’re a laugh, Rainbow Dash. I love how you think you can just… change somepony in a couple nights. How you think you can redeem yourself by agreeing to help me.”

“Well…” Fyre could see the frustration building up inside her again. “I gotta try, you know? Just because I did some stupid things when I was younger… It doesn’t mean I want Equestria to alienate me!”

“Equestria didn’t have to do anything… You alienated yourself.” His remark made Dash grit her teeth. He could see her eyes well up. “Are you going to attack me now? That is how you resolve everything isn’t it? Violence?”

“How can you just sit there and talk to me like this?! Huh?! Don’t you even care at all? Do you want me to leave you?”

“What if I did?” Fyre had to look away to say that. He wasn’t sure why.

“You… You really don’t hate me, do you? It’s not what I did… You just don’t like being around anypony.”

“And what if I don’t?! Is that so bad!? What if I want to be alone?! Why does it matter to you anyways? If I’m so unpleasant, why not just leave me alone? You said it wouldn’t be any feathers off your wings!”

“That was before…”

“Before what?! Don’t be so cliché… Don’t say its love or that you have some kind of strange connection with me, because there’s nothing I want more than for you to just go away. The only pony I care about… is my sister.”

Dash didn’t respond for a while; she couldn’t. She slowly stood up. Fyre watched her with aggravated eyes. She finally said something in a quiet voice. “Good luck finding her then… I’ll see you around.” With that, she began walking away from him. She didn’t even take her bags with her. Fyre watched silently as she left… Eventually she disappeared from sight entirely.

“Good riddance…”

*****

A few hours later, Fyre was trying his best to sleep. He would always reach the point where he was about to fall asleep when a sudden gust would wake him back up again. He tried lying in every position and against every side of the tree he could. The wind was relentless. It was about three in the morning when he finally gave up. He dug into some of the food and water that Dash had left him. It was bland and tasteless, but it filled him nonetheless. Afterwards, he just sat and stared into random pits of darkness in the distance. His mind was still high on anger and frustration. Eventually, he decided to continue on his way to Ponyville. He didn’t bother taking the bags since he would reach the town before he got hungry again.

About fifteen minutes of trotting later, he could feel his weariness beginning to return. He really needed to sleep. His legs became heavier with each step and he struggled to keep his eyes open.

“I can’t… Too tired.” He muttered to himself right before plunking unto the ground. His legs were thanking him almost immediately. He didn’t realize how worn out he was. His side began acting up again, returning like a horrible memory. He chuckled and tried to drag himself with a hoof. “Come on… Get up.” He put one last strain of effort into his whole being before he gave in.

Nothing can stop me… Nothing can stop me. I will make it. I just have to…

“Hey…” Hearing the voice made his heart leap. “You gotta stop doing this to yourself.”

“I can do… whatever I- hrk!” He felt something press down on his muzzle, silencing him.

“Stop talking already. You’re like a broken record…” The voice wasn’t Dash’s. It was sly and heavier. The force on his muzzle was immense, as if a tree had just fallen on him. “I’m still not happy about what you did to me. Nothing would make me happier than to just… put a little more pressure…” He felt it press harder and harder on him. “You know what I mean?”

Fyre muffled a response in his constricted state.

“We’re gonna try this again… Consider this… your final answer. If you get it wrong… Well… you know.” It lifted off and freed him. Fyre felt a bit of energy return as he pulled himself onto his legs. He looked around and saw it.

“You are a pony…”

“I was told I can trust you. Right now I’m not so sure it was true.”

“You’re so… young.”

“Was I being lied to?!”

“No… because I now know somepony… who knows Twilight Sparkle.”

Fyre could feel every hair stand on end when he saw the grin that was on her face.

“Who?”

*****

Rainbow Dash closed the door behind her as she returned home. Her chest felt heavy and she felt like she was about to give in at any moment. She descended to the floor and squeezed her eyes shut. Her cheeks were damp from tears. Dash hadn’t realized how much Fyre’s words had upset her. With a sniffle, the pegasus rose to her feet again. She trotted upstairs to the second floor where her bedroom was, passing through the doorway and turning to a large mirror on her right.

“That stupid egghead actually got me crying… Ha! I’m such a joke…” She wiped her eyes clean with a hoof and looked at herself in the mirror. That’s when she saw it, lying on her bed. Dash gasped and swiftly turned around. Her cyan wings unfurled as she crouched down slightly. “Who’s there?!”

On the bed was something she had never seen before. It was a pony, but its muzzle was covered in a metallic mask, and a cloth hood was draped over its head. A disheveled violet mane covered one side of its face and two purple eyes stared intently at her. The rest of the body was completely covered in a mess of brown and black cloaks and scarves. Dash could see a purple tail trailing behind it and she could tell it had wings, but they were covered in the mess.

“Just an old friend…” it answered her. It was as still as stone while upon her bed. She wondered how long it had been there.

“An old friend of mine would at least knock…”

“I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t let me in.”

“You got that right… What do you want?”

“I was told by somepony that you would finally be the answer I’ve been looking for… after all these years.”

“An answer, huh? An answer to what?”

There was a brief pause before it asked, “What do you know… about Twilight Sparkle?”

The question stunned Rainbow Dash. Her jaw slightly dropped. “Twilight? No… This just can’t be a coincidence… I haven’t heard her name in ten years.”

“Ten years… What an ill-fated moment in time.”

“What do you want to know?” She was willing to speak with it, but she didn’t lower her guard for a second.

“I want to know where she is.”

“Where she is? I’m sorry to disappoint you… but Twilight Sparkle is dead.”

“No, she isn’t.”

“What?!” Her guard was dropped then. “Don’t lie to me! I know for a fact she’s dead!”

“Believe what you want… I know the truth.”

“If you’re so certain, why not ask Princess Celestia? I’m sure if anypony knew where she was… it would be her.”

“Canterlot… The first place mentioned… would be where she resides.”

Rainbow furrowed her brow. “What are you talking about?”

“Twilight Sparkle is in Canterlot… Finally…! The nightmare will end.”

Dash wasn’t sure what the pony was going on about, but she felt it in her gut that this pony was some kind of sign of something horrible to come. Slowly it began to rise from her bed and it stepped down onto the ground in front of her.

“Where do you think you’re going?” Dash jumped in front of the doorway to block the exit. The pony just stared at Dash for a while, and then it turned its head to the window.

“I’m going to find Twilight.”

“What are you going to do when you find her?” Rainbow felt the ground beneath her rumble. She could feel the air being sucked out of her lungs. Suddenly the pony was right in front of her in a flash.

“Kill her!”

Those words set Dash off. Immediately she lunged forward and tackled it. Both of them tumbled for a moment before an incredible force shot Rainbow Dash out of the window. Crashing through the glass, there were multiple stings of pain in her back. She righted herself in the air immediately and turned her attention to the house. She couldn’t see her.

“You really are nothing without her…” She heard the whisper from behind. Dash bucked behind herself, yet hit nothing but air. She quickly turned around and looked desperately for it.

“Why don’t you stop being such a coward, huh?!”

The taunt seemed to work as the pony appeared right in front of her again. “Come to Canterlot,” it whispered. After a brief pause, it spoke again, “Sorry for the glass.” It was such a strange thing to hear from it. It almost sounded genuinely concerned. Before Dash could respond, the pony darted away from her with a speed unlike anything she’d ever seen; it was gone in an instant.

After a few moments, Rainbow recovered and she could feel a pain in her backside. She turned her head to spot three large shards of glass protruding from her flesh. She gritted her teeth and slowly made her way back to her room. There was only one thought on her mind at this point.

Twilight? You’re alive?