• Published 23rd Dec 2012
  • 6,576 Views, 156 Comments

The Pink Haired Woman - Seran



A man finds a strange looking woman with a Butterfly tattoo and takes her in. her origin is unknown.

  • ...
23
 156
 6,576

Can't be helped

The convoy moved south, passing the ever-growing sea of reporters and cameras. Focused, the driver headed out of town into a makeshift camp. The group rolled in as soldiers checked each vehicle for unauthorized persons. John remained silent as he was escorted into the large tent in the center of the camp. He had too much on his mind to care for what was happening around him.

The agents sat in their chairs, viewing a set of monitors with news reporters talking about Dewford.

Donovan entered the room first, calling out to his boss. “Director, we’re here.” He called out.

The further-most man turned around with a scowl on his face. The men stood straight in fear of what the director would tell them to do.

He rushed across the room to get in their faces. “You’d better have some good news,” he shouted in their faces. “We are up to our necks in reporters and the National Guard is still uncovering hideouts of the agency with even more crimes against humanity.”

John looked at him straight faced as the Director turned to him in confusion.

“Who is this?” he asked.

Michaels shook as he answered. “This is John Alvarez, Andrew’s younger brother, and the caretaker of our VIP.”

This is the guy who saved us from an international incident?” He looked at them questionably. As he scanned the physique of the short man who stood before him he couldn’t help but be surprised. “He doesn’t seem like he could hold himself in a bar fight.”

“Sir,” John replied, “I once ranked in the top ten shooters of the L.A.P.D., and was a decorated officer in my time.”

The Director Looked at him with fierce eyes, and the two agents gulped as they noticed the dark cloud between them.

“L.A.P.D.?” The director recollected, “North or South precinct?” he dug for information.

“North.” John replied

“I thought I remembered you.” The director said with a smile, “We spoke of your case in 2010 during a training exercise. You were named Juan back then, right?”

John remained silent.

“Yeah, your case, accused of murder with fabricated evidence and officers trying to pin your girlfriend’s murder on you. It was hard because no one liked you and you were such an easy target–” The director was interrupted by a fist striking him in the left cheek. The agents quickly grabbed hold of John, preventing him from causing further damage.

John looked around to see the agents staring at him in surprise. However there was one person, who sat in a chair and held her long pink hair to cover her face. The anger in John’s heart softened into remorse over what he did.

“What the hell is wrong with you?” Donovan shouted at him.

John did not know how to respond. His heart was still racing from the thrill of striking someone for insulting him. The two men pulled him aside and sat him down on the nearest chair.

John took deep breaths to calm down as the room raced around him, cleaning the wound inflicted on the man John mentally labeled ‘asshole’. The room fell quiet in his calming meditation, all for one spot that burned in the back of his head. He began to think of the strange, long, rose-colored hair, her sky-like blue eyes, those cheekbones and that perfect face. It was distracting him as he tried to come up with an excuse.

“What the hell was that for?” The director shouted at John.

“Sorry,” John answered finally.

“Sorry?” The director asked in fury. “That’s all you have to say? For assaulting a government official?”

John stared off into space with his brows angled.

“Director,” Donovan entered with an idea. “Perhaps he didn’t like how you spoke to him.” The director directed his anger towards him. “I mean, I wouldn’t want to be insulted while my past is being brought up.”

“Well if this baby didn’t like it,” the director said sarcastically, “perhaps he should have said something.”

“Assistant Director Bell,” a man said as he entered the tent. The crowd fell silent to the sight of an older man in an elegant dark blue suit with a golden trim. “I see you took my place while I was away again without my authority.”

The younger man sank into his own chest as the older man put him in his place. “Sorry Director Cortez. I didn’t mean to overstep my boundaries.”

“The boundaries are placed for a reason. You are Assistant Executive Director, not Executive Director.” He looked at the bruise left on his cheek. “I will let this slide, but one more time and I will see that you are demoted back to the field.”

Bell held his cheek as he left the room calling for the medic.

“I’m very sorry about that.” The real director apologized for Bell, “Bell gets power hungry. It’s a mystery how he got so far up the ranks.”

“And you are...?” John replied, confused over what had occurred.

“Executive Director Cortez, of the Colorado branch of the Federal Bureau of Investigation.”

John looked at him carefully, attempting to gain some trust visually.

“You must be Juan Alvarez,” he said with a smile. “I hope things are going well for you.”

“Sir,” John was still annoyed, “today I was shot at, my brother almost died, my house was destroyed and I was arrested for defending this woman, who I just met. Do you think it’s going well?”

“That’ll do,” Cortez continued to smile. “But at least you all made it out alive, and with a great accomplishment.”

John glared at him as he tried to think of what positive outcome this all had. The only one that he thought of was pointed out.

“We’ll be sure to pay for any damages to your house while you were deputized by Agent Alvarez.” He replied resting his hand on John’s shoulder to assure him.

“And where will we be staying until then?” John asked as he swept his shoulder clean.

“I’m sure we can accommodate you in a hotel until your house is fit to live in.” The Director was trying his best to calm the man down. “And I see your reason to fight is sitting behind you.” He tried to change the subject.

John looked behind him to see Fluttershy becoming nervous over the outcome of the conversation. He ignored the Director and walked over to her. John pushed himself to find out what to say to her. His mind was full of conflicting thoughts. He had to pick one to say to her.

Ultimately he bent down and embraced her. “I’m glad you’re okay.” He said to her with a smile on his face.

“Where were you?” Fluttershy asked. “I haven’t seen you since the fight.”

“I was at the hospital with my brother,” John replied, “I’m sorry for anything I said to you. I shouldn’t have made fun of you like that.”

Fluttershy was confused over the words John had just used. She slowly patted him on the back, trying to encourage him to let go.

After a hearty reunion, the Director patted John on the back as and headed to the podium. He looked as a new man entered the group. Earl was brought in, surrounded by three guards. He was sat down next to Fluttershy and John, keeping the ‘heroes’ together.

“Alright, let us begin.” The director said as he pointed out to the crowd.

_______________________________________

It was ten at night. The meeting was over, concluding with an interesting patriotic speech by Earl. The three were taken back to their neighborhood, with accommodations to stay in Earl’s guest room, which was filled to the roof with supplies for a day he would never see.

Outside the house were three news vans recording as they gave final words before signing off. The group arrived at the house next door and several of them rushed the SUVs trying to get information out of the agents.

When the agents opened the back doors, the news teams swarmed to get an image of who was in the back. The one they noticed the most was Fluttershy, with her almost neon pink hair glowing in the dark.

With question after question, John grew more irritated with how uncomfortable Fluttershy became because of them. However, the agents called out to the crowd and encouraged them to step back. The group was safe to enter the home. John took one look at the house next door as he walked in. The damage was too much for him before, but now he was calm.

“Alright, I’ll get to setting your beds,” Earl said as he walked into the hall.

Fluttershy sat down on the couch and looked at her hands. She felt uncomfortable with what had happened today. The fighting, the yelling between brothers, and most importantly, how John acted around her after the fight made it extremely awkward.

John took a seat in front of her and relaxed, closing his eyes. His mind was active with the strange things that had occurred to him. He still couldn’t comprehend what had happened today, even though it happened to him. As he sat there looking at her an idea kept coming into his head and he tried to come up with a reason to either follow through, or abandon his feelings.

“John?” A quiet voice called out. John opened his eyes and saw the woman looking at him with worry.

“What is it now?” he replied annoyed.

“Did I do something wrong?” she asked.

Shocked by the statement, John opened his mouth but words refused to come out. All he did was look her in the eye with a quizzical look.

“Well, you seem annoyed, and… well, you were worried about your house and your brother earlier…” she tried to get him to talk.

“Fluttershy,” he responded, “there are a lot of things that annoy me. But you,” he tried to get the least hurtful words out. “You remind me of someone I used to care about. I don’t know why, but I feel I need you in my life. I’ve tried to get rid of you, tried to find a way to push you as far away from me as possible. But that would hurt me more.”

Fluttershy was confused about what he was saying. To her it seemed like one thing was about to be said, but it scared her.

“I know five days is too soon, But I just want to tell you, I…” he stopped as he thought deeply into what he was going to say. Looking at her face, she grew worried over what he was going to say. Her eyes pushed John to change his words. “I- I- I care for you, and I don’t know why. I just don’t want to see you hurt. But I don’t want to be hurt when you leave. I may not know exactly what you are, but you made me happy while you stayed with me.”

Fluttershy smiled, a tear came to her eye as she thought of the heartfelt words he told her. John kicked himself over how close he came to tell her. He didn’t want to hurt her, but he also didn’t want to be hurt.

‘Maybe it’s time I see a therapist,’ he thought to himself. ‘I need a second opinion on this.’