• Published 23rd Dec 2012
  • 6,578 Views, 156 Comments

The Pink Haired Woman - Seran



A man finds a strange looking woman with a Butterfly tattoo and takes her in. her origin is unknown.

  • ...
23
 156
 6,578

Young and Old: Part 1

John and Fluttershy sat down at the table with bowls of cereal for breakfast. John, still dumbfounded by the dream, continued to take short glances at Fluttershy. She didn’t notice. Her mind was busy with the cartoons playing in the living room.

John kept thinking about the dream he had last night. The question that buzzed in his mind was if it meant something, or if it was just a figment of his imagination. The angels that visited last night knew more about her than John could make up. The thought made his head spin.

‘There is only one person who knows what this means,’ John thought to himself. ‘But how do I ask her?’ He began to plan how to start the conversation.

Seeing her busy with the television, he waited for a commercial break. Once the break started, John took a leap and let the words spill out.

“So… Does the full moon mean anything to you?” he stuttered, hoping to get a response.

Fluttershy turned to him with a light smile. “Yes… My friends say they’ll come pick me up in just twenty-six days.”

John was surprised by her statement. The fact that his dream was more than a figment of his imagination shocked him.

“Twenty-six days?” he whispered in surprise. “That’s quite some time.”

“Well, I know it’s a long time, but I guess I could wait to see my friends again.” Her smile showed her optimism.

John tried to hide his sadness. He looked at her with a feigned smile. “Well, that doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy the time you have here.”

“Thank you John,” she said. “I’m sure I’ll enjoy being here.”

After hearing her words, John smiled. He hoped he could enjoy the time she had with him.

“Also…” Fluttershy interrupted John’s thoughts. “Can you not eat meat while I’m here?” she quietly demanded. “I don’t want to see animals get eaten. I felt so sick last time and I don’t want to experience that again.”

John set down his spoon into the bowl with a frown on his face. With a heavy sigh, John looked her in the eye and said. “Can I still eat it when you are away?”

“Well, I would prefer you not eat it at all.” She quietly replied.

He fell silent as her irate eyes pierced through his head. He felt offended that she tried to keep him from living how he wanted. ‘I know she came from the heavens,’ he thought to himself, ‘but how does she not know what we eat?’

Fluttershy slid down her seat with a soft squeak in fear of what he could do. John suddenly felt like a bully staring her down.

A soft ringing sounded from John’s bedroom. John let out a sigh in relief as he saw an excuse to see this moment to end.

John headed over as fast as he could and found his phone in a pile on his desk. Without looking at the Caller ID, he answered the call.

“Hello?”

“Johnny?” called an elderly woman on the other end.

“Mrs. Alabaster. Good morning.” John replied with anticipation. “What can I do for you?”

“Yes well, I was hoping you could come by to help move some furniture.” Mrs. Alabaster. “My old entertainment center gave way and I need someone to build the new one.”

“You’re not hurt, are you ma’am?” John asked out of curiosity.

“Oh, no, thank the lord. I just was startled. Thank you for asking.” She said in a relieved way which made John know she was smiling on the other end. “But Patrick was so upset, he fell out of his chair when we were told it could not be repaired. By Job, I could hear him grumbling all the way to the store to fetch the new one.”

John chuckled under his breath. “Glad to hear Patrick is still lively.”

“Oh, well he’s trying to open the box as we speak and well...” She paused to listen to the muffled yelling of her husband in the other room. John could faintly make out damnation to all Swedish made furnishings. “He’s not too happy about it.”

“I’ll be over as soon as I can…” John paused to think about Fluttershy. ‘I can’t leave her here alone.’ He thought to himself, ‘and I can’t imagine what would happen when Mr. Alabaster sees her. Old men aren’t quite fond of the youth.’ He thought hard and responded. “Do you mind if I bring someone with me? I’m taking care of a friend.”

“Oh, yes. You can bring your friend Mary,” replied Mrs. Alabaster.

John was surprised that she knew who he was talking about. But after some thought he remembered that most of the town had already heard rumors about ‘Mary Posa’.

“We’ll be over soon. Just give us time to finish our breakfast.” John replied, hoping they had enough time before Mr. Alabaster broke something important.

“Alright now, hurry up.” She answered with a tone that let John know she was smiling.

John hung up and walked back to the dining room, happy that he was going to get some extra money. However, he worried what a conservative couple like them would say about Fluttershy. Her appearance alone was enough to raise questions.

Putting on a smile, John looked at her. “Hurry up with your breakfast,” he said. “We’re going to visit someone.”

“Umm, who?” Fluttershy asked.

“An elderly couple I’ve done some jobs for. They want me to go over as soon as I can.” John answered.

Fluttershy looked at him with a confused look. She then smiled and replied, “I hope they’re friendly.”

“I’m sure you’ll like her.” John stuttered as he thought of the eminent fight they will have.

They finished up their breakfast and headed out. Fluttershy hesitated to get in the car, fearing the worst. John had to open the door to get her in. Along the way Fluttershy wondered about John. A few blocks down, she finally came to ask him. “Umm, John?”

“Yeah.” John replied.

“What did you mean by doing ‘jobs?’” Fluttershy asked, still bracing herself.

“Well, it’s nothing illegal.” He chuckled, “I just do housework and errands for anyone who needs it. Mostly it’s been the elderly.”

“Why do you do it?” she continued. “You don’t seem like somepony who would do something…” she paused as she saw him become irritated. “I’m sorry,” she apologized. “I’ll stop now.”

“I started doing this when I moved here.” John answered in a sigh. “Being a millionaire is nothing if you have nothing to do.”

Fluttershy looked away, hoping that she didn’t say something to anger him. She glanced back at him time and time again, hoping to see his expression change for the better. All she saw was a blank look ahead.

The car came to a stop and John got out of his seat, saying only one thing. “We’re here.”

Fluttershy stepped out to see a house with a beautiful garden leading to a porch with a swing. She watched in awe as the petals glistened from yesterday’s rain. As she walked down the brick path, she slowed down to take a long look at the beauty.

John ignored the flowers and raced to the porch. He fell silent at the door before he spoke, letting out a sigh to start off.

“Listen, Fluttershy.” He started. “I just want to warn you about Patrick Alabaster.” he explained, “He’s very conservative and loud about it. There’s a chance he will be aggressive towards us” He paused for a moment. “If he does anything to you please don’t argue with him, and just let me know. Understood?”

He heard no response. Worried about where she was, he turned around to see her playing with a cat. Confused about where the cat came from, John worried that the cat carried fleas or other pests.

“Let him go!” John ordered. Fluttershy shot up and let out a light yelp. The cat proceeded to retreat under a truck.

“Oh my, you scared me!”

“What’s wrong with you? You can’t play with a stray cat! You could catch some disease!” John declared like some nervous parent.

“I’m sorry,” she shook as she replied. “The cat just came up to me, and…” She hid her face behind her hand. John could hear a soft squeaking coming from her.

John sighed in shame. He walked up to her and tried to calm her down with a reassuring hand on her shoulder. Fluttershy winced once she felt a finger brush up against her. John immediately retreated, letting out another sigh. He worried he had broken her trust.

“Look, I’m sorry I yelled at you,” John apologized, looking away from her, “We’ve been taught not to pick up stray animals and… I guess it stuck with me well after all these years.”

John looked at her from the corner of her eye. He could see her slowly coming out from behind her hand. John reacted quickly and let out a smile as he caught her looking at him.

From the door he could hear the soft voice of an elderly woman. “I thought you were somebody else,” said Mrs. Alabaster. “I didn’t expect you to be yelling at my door.”

John rolled his eyes at Mrs. Alabaster’s statement. “We had a bit of miscommunication.” He explained.

“Well, I’m glad you’re here.” Mrs. Alabaster continued. “Patrick is at his end with the instructions. You should get in there before he breaks something.”

“Right,” John replied as he headed towards the door. He soon stopped to turn his head and asked, “can you watch her for me?”

“Why certainly,” Mrs. Alabaster replied. “I have been meaning to give Angela her medicine. She was in the garden last I saw her.”

John let out an embarrassed smile and headed in. The first thing John noticed was a pile of wooden planks and a bowl filled with screws and bolts. In one corner of the room, a man paced the floor, cursing and damning the complicated instruction manual.

John rolled his eyes, deliberating over how difficult this was going to be.

_______________________________________

Fluttershy and Mrs. Alabaster had taken a seat on the porch, holding Angela down for her medicine. With the cat on Fluttershy’s lap, Mrs. Alabaster applied the drops on its shoulder. Mrs. Alabaster looked at the young lady in her presence, inspecting her long rose quartz colored hair. She looked down to see Angela calm and submissive in the hands of this woman.

“You have quite a way with animals.” Mrs. Alabaster complimented as she listened to the purring of the cat. “She’s not that calm with most people when they hold her.”

“Oh, well, I care for animals for a living back home.” Fluttershy smiled as the cat laid on her lap. “It’s just something that comes natural to me.”

Mrs. Alabaster smiled and took a deep breath. “Must be nice taking care of animals,” she said while looking at some birds feeding from her bushes. “Where is it that you are from?” She asked politely.

_____________________________

“What?” John asked in surprise as he held the board down and inserted the next piece.

“Your little friend. You know, the one the whole town is talking about.” Mr. Alabaster explained while screwing the pieces together.

John was hoping he didn’t have to explain this again. “She’s from California, like me.”

“Yeah, but what part?” he asked again. “I have some friends from Sacramento and others from Bakersfield,” he explained. “I just don’t see where she would come from that pink hair would be acceptable.”

John was upset he hadn’t thought this all the way through. ‘Where can I say she is from?’ he thought heavily, ‘I can’t say she’s from my town. It’s not a very safe place for someone her… personality.’

“Well?” Mr. Alabaster waited for an answer.

“She’s from Ventura County.” John said in an outburst.

“Ventura County?” he replied. “Like in that Beach Boys song?”

John was surprised he knew it at all. “Yeah, she’s from a small farm community where she takes care of cattle and other animals.” He ad-libbed his way with the little information he got from their first encounter.

“Farm community?” Mr. Alabaster pondered. “Care to say which one?”

At that moment John remembered a trump card Martha had given him. “Unfortunately I’m not at liberty to say. I can not reveal the home of someone under witness protection.”

“Witness-protection,” he replied curiously. “That was a lot of information to give out.”

John regretted not thinking about that in the first place.

________________________________

“I’m from Cale… Cala…” Fluttershy couldn’t remember the story John explained to her.

“California?” Mrs. Alabaster corrected.

“Yes.” She looked away, ashamed that she may have ruined it for herself.

“And what do you do there?” Mrs. Alabaster continued.

Fluttershy finally got to a topic she liked. “Well I take care of animals. From the critters in the forest, to the pets townsponies bring to me.”

A raspy inhalation came from Mrs. Alabaster. Her eyes widened as she slumped forward, holding her arm tightly and shivering.

“Oh my, are you okay?” Fluttershy panicked. “Mrs. Alabaster. Should I get help?”

“No, no, dear.” Mrs. Alabaster shook off her fit. “It was just an old ghost catching up to me.”

“Should I call John?” Fluttershy insisted, “Or maybe your husband?”

“No, I’m fine. It’s just,” she looked to the side and took a deep breath, “would you mind telling me something?”

“What’s that?” Fluttershy waited for the question.

Mrs. Alabaster turned to her and with a smile asked, “can you tell me how Equestria is doing?”

Author's Note:

IT has been over a year since I started posting this story. So to celebrate you can ask me about the story, or other things you wish (as long you don't ask about spoilers.)