• Published 18th Nov 2012
  • 8,194 Views, 452 Comments

Top Gear: The Worst Diplomats in the World - Blue Tunes



When a portal to Equestria opens up, The Producers decide that a new Top Gear Special is in order...

  • ...
24
 452
 8,194

Barter (Part 2)

Twilight Sparkle was having a long day. With the news that an extra-equestrian species of highly advanced apes had been discovered, the pedantic purple pony powered through textbooks and tomes like a knife through butter, to no avail. None of her books referenced, even briefly, the species her mentor had described. Her current understanding of the creatures was currently restricted to their bipedalism and apparent technological marvel, and it seemed that further studies would need to be withheld until she could get her hooves on relevant reading material.

'Or a live specimen' she daydreamed as she set down Mythological Marvels; A Field Guide.

"Any luck Twilight? You locked yourself in your room for so long I almost thought you were dead." Her assistant's voice jolted the unicorn from her musings, and she shook her head a little to clear her thoughts.

"No Spike" she replied, downcast. "The closest I've managed to come is Minotaur creation myth, and the beings described just don't match up with Princess Celestia's description from her letter. I'm afraid we're just going to have to wait."

---

"Well this is nice" James commented over the radio as his Jeep rolled easily over the grassy fields, the suspension easily compensating for every potential bump. "The countryside sort of reminds me of Italy".

"Less olives though" Hammond chimed in, also relatively comfortable in his Land Rover, though he was still a bit miffed about the color scheme.

"Errmmffaargh" agreed Clarkson, who was having a decidedly worse time of things. The deceptively soft-looking grassy fields were playing havoc with the underside of his Aston, every rock and pebble felt like a boulder, and the larger man's back was quickly becoming a casualty to the cause.

"All right there Jezza?" James asked with mock concern.

"Course he is" Hammond replied cheerfully. "Clarkson can't get enough of the Vantage. I can't believe I didn't think to bring one myself." He stopped and pondered for a moment "Or maybe a Lamborghini Gallardo? We should really be showing these aliens automotive technology at its finest."

"And I can't help but noticing that he has leather interior" James said, grinning from ear to ear. "It must be absolutely luxurious to drive."

"Shut it." Clarkson grumbled, his voice shaking with his car as he passed over a particularly nasty patch of grass.

"One thing I forgot to mention to you in our last letter" Hammond said. "The producers supplied a backup car for this trip as well."

"And at this rate I might just take it." Jeremy replied hopefully. "What is it?"

"A Pontiac Aztek" Hammond managed to choke out before descending into a fit of laughter.

"Sod off and die" Clarkson groaned. "They didn't."

"They most certainly did" Hammond replied with glee.

"It's the dual suspension version. It would be more comfortable than your Aston" James added.

"I will [REDACTED BY THE BRITISH BROADCASTING CORPORATION] until your legs fall off" Jeremy threatened, his voice grim.

"Well... that... will have to wait" Hammond interrupted, his face a little green. "Because according to that sign we just passed, we're here."

---

"Twilight, if you keep this up, you'll end up going straight through the floor into the basement" Spike said testily. "And I'm going to have to fix up the floor again."

Twilight looked down guiltily. It was true, her pacing had once again begun to wear grooves into the floorboards. "Sorry Spike, but I just can't stand sitting around Ponyville waiting for word on a species that..."

---

"Well we might as well give them a proper Top Gear greeting." Jeremy commented, his mind finally wandering from his terrible suspension and the nightmarish thought of driving that thing across an entire country.

"Clarkson..." James warned.

---

"For all intents and purposes we know nothing about, when I could be off on the diplomatic mission myself learning new things. I just wish that there was some way that I could meet one of them..."

---

"I don't think they've spotted us" Clarkson muttered as his car crept down a side street.

---

"Think about it Spike, two intellectuals of different worlds conversing about anything and everything!"

---

"Let's do this"

---

"I'm sure there's much we could learn from each other."

---

"HELLO PONYVILLE!" The sound of the V8 roared through the sleepy village as Clarkson planted his foot on the accelerator, revving the engine, and causing both Hammond and May to face-palm. The two quieter television hosts parked on either side of the Vantage and sat back to watch the drama unfold.

---

"What on Equis was that?" Twilight wondered aloud as she trotted over to the balcony to look down upon the street, gasping as she spotted the source of the disturbance. Three great metal beasts sat in the middle of the main road, the central one, a gleaming grey, its sleek body far removed from the rustic surrounds of the Ponyville houses was the source of the noise.

And what a noise it was. Like a threatened timberwolf, it's growling sent a shiver down the purple pony's spine. But it seemed motionless, and even as she watched, the noise stopped, and a new one took its place. Yelling, and lots of it.

"Clarkson, what the bloody hell are you thinking?" a rather posh voice called out exasperatedly. "This is an alien population center, not a Top Gear live show!"

Twilight gasped as the side of one of the metal beasts swung out, but was then struck dumb by what stepped out.

Rushing upstairs, she retrieved a quill and parchment, and began hurriedly writing, the text barely legible as her jumbled mind made a mess of the telekinesis. One sloppy letter later and she was back downstairs, panting and spluttering, parchment hovering inches away from Spike's nose.

"Send... Princess" the young mare managed to gasp out, and in a quick spurt of green flames, the letter was gone.

"Now..." she turned, parchment and quill at the ready, towards the door. "It's time for some questions... human."

Author's Note:

I will say that this one wasn't as much fun as the others to write, but it's an important chapter insofar as that it sets the scene for a rather important part of the story. Next chapter we'll see the lads try their hand at spruiking their goods. Until then, I hope you like it and as always, stay classy Fimfiction.