• Published 25th Nov 2012
  • 18,073 Views, 982 Comments

For Queen and Country - Gherkin



After disastrous events in Istanbul, 007 ends up in Equestria.

  • ...
74
 982
 18,073

04: Every Mare's Crazy For a Sharp Dressed Man

"There are dinner jackets and dinner jackets. This is the latter, and I need you looking like a man who belongs at that table."

***

The pearly white mare was finally starting to open her eyes. Good. Maybe now the situation wouldn't be quite as awkward. Maybe it would be worse. Bond shrugged. He just needed some new clothes, after all.

Rarity slowly opened her eyes, unaware of her surroundings. She sat up and, noticing the human sitting across from her, gasped suddenly, trying to back away in repulsion.

"It's okay," James reassured her. "I'm not going to hurt you."

"Wha... what..." The mare seemed to be recovering from some sort of shock.

"What am I?"

"No, I know what you are," she murmured slowly. "You're that, uh, human who walked into town this morning." She sat up straighter, blinking a few times to bring everything into focus. "No, I meant to say, what in Equestria are you wearing? That suit looks like it's been to Tartarus and back!"

Not quite the reaction I was expecting. Bond had to admit he was slightly taken aback. "Well, uh, I suppose that's the reason I came to you," he told her nonetheless.

"Well, it's good to see you have some sense in you," Rarity commented, now fully awake. "Luckily for you, you've come to the best dressmaker in Ponyville!" She paused for a second, eying up his size, before hopping onto her hooves and continuing. "I do fittings for stallions too, of course, but I don't get nearly as many male customers as I do female."

"Right." 007 nodded, taking it all in. "Sorry if this seems rude, but you don't seem to be at all frightened or intimidated by me. I thought you’d be slightly more apprehensive about an unknown creature. Everyone else was ready to burn me at a stake."

"The whole town's gone through some rough patches recently, so they were likely to jump to conclusions when faced with something unknown and quite possibly dangerous," she explained. "I, however, take pride in being welcoming to everyone and everything, no matter how unpleasant they may be." She grimaced, as if remembering a not too fond memory. James thought it wise not to ask.

“Well, it’s been nice meeting you, Mister...”

“Bond,” he answered. “James Bond.”

“Bond,” she repeated slowly, adjusting to the unfamiliar name. “I hope you’ll forgive me for thinking you have a rather strange name, but who am I to judge what your social norms are?”

“It’s fine, really,” James reassured her. “If I’m honest, the feeling’s mutual.”

Rarity nodded. “Of course. Now, down to business. I should have a collection of garments ready for you in a few hours. No payment required, of course. Not for someone who really needs it.”

Bond paused. “Wait, is that it? No measurements, or anything?”

“I sized you up the moment I laid eyes on you, dear,” she chimed.

“How the-” Bond caught his tongue before he could go any further. He paused for a second, before continuing. “Alright. I already have a suit, though.” He motioned to the clothes he was wearing.

“Please, darling. There are business suits, and business suits. You’re wearing the former, I specialize in making the latter.” She wore a smug look. “Besides, as I said, that thing is in pieces.”

007 rolled his eyes. “Fine then.” She nodded, and turned to trot out, into her work room, before he called out to her again. “Wait. Do you mind if I stay here for a bit? I need to catch up on some sleep.”

The white unicorn smiled gently. “Of course. There’s a spare bedroom upstairs if you want to use it.” With that, she disappeared into the next room.

He stood there for a moment, trying to judge the mare’s character. She was feisty, he knew that much, and was certain that she could more than take care of herself should the need arise. Given the way she was eager to make him clothes free of charge, he thought that she imagined it as more of a hobby than an actual job. Something fun to do that she made money from as well.

He stopped. Could all women immediately size him up when they met? His mind drifted back to the first time he met such a person. He remembered having a similar reaction to the one he'd had just now. Then he actually remembered the woman he was thinking about, and decided to snap back to reality. Some wounds never heal.

Stifling a yawn, he realized he was more tired than he had originally thought. Taking off his suit jacket, he made his way towards the staircase on the far side of the room, feeling more tired with every step. He couldn't help but realize that he had become more weary and less enduring since he arrived. Probably a by-product of the magic that brought him here.

He reached the top of the stairs and took a glance inside the first room on the right. It was simple, with a single bed and children's toys strewn all over the flaw. Bond doubted that Rarity had children, so he assumed it belonged to a sibling. He smiled slightly. The room felt like a impenetrable fortress of innocence; a safe and happy haven for whoever inhabited it. The only place that had made Bond safe when he was a child were the secret tunnels running underneath his family's lodge. They held some rather traumatic memories, too.

He decided to swiftly move on, feeling more tired by the second. A door was ajar at the end of the hallway. Peeking inside, he found that it was indeed the spare bedroom Rarity had directed him towards. Wasting no time, he threw his jacket on the floor, loosened his tie, and lay down. Millions of things were running through his mind, most of them beyond confusing, but exhaustion quickly took over as he drifted off to sleep.

***

The stallion sat behind his desk, waist deep in thought. A large, pungent cigar hung from his mouth, it’s strong odour permeating throughout the room. In his hooves were the latest reports from his men. The complications that had arisen the previous day were surprising, but otherwise irrelevant. It was a minor setback. They just needed time to plan.

A sharp knock on the door pulled his attention away from the report. “Come in,” he called, inhaling from his cigar. The door drifted open, revealing a unicorn mare.

“Good evening, Brute,” she said, trotting inside.

Brute Force smiled, and pulled a bottle of liquor from one of his desk’s drawers. “Ah, good to see you, my dear. Would you like a drink?”

“No, thank you,” the mare replied flatly.

“That’s a shame,” he commented, pouring himself a glass. “This really is some good stuff. Over a century old, if I’m not mistaken.”

“Very interesting. However, I’m sure you’re aware that I’m not here to discuss your taste in drinks.”

Brute took a sip and reclined back in his chair. “No, of course you’re not. Down to business then. I read your report about the escape. Five injured, one dead. We underestimated him." He stared into his glass, lost in thought. "Where did he go, Quill?”

Lavender Quill smirked. “He fell for it. I told him you’d kidnapped me; played the ‘damsel in distress’ card. Worked like a charm.”

“Yes, but where did he go?”

Quill leaned forward. “I sent him towards Ponyville, so it’s safe to assume he’s still there. We shouldn't waste time, though. A train for Canterlot leaves tomorrow. For all we know, he could be on it.”

Brute Force nodded and furrowed his brow, thinking. “We can’t take any risks this time. How many ponies have we got left after his little rampage?”

“Fifteen. It should suffice.”

“Then get them all ready. Tomorrow, we’re gonna get that son of a bitch back by any means necessary.”

Quill stood up. “Will do. I can also have a plan of attack ready by tomorrow morning, if you like.”

Brute smiled, flashing a set of crooked teeth. “Excellent. Good night, Lavender.”

The mare nodded, and swiftly left the room. Perfect, Brute thought, downing the last of his drink. There’s no way that bastard’s getting out now.

***

Refreshed. Yes, that was one word to describe it. James slowly opened his eyes and sighed peacefully. The last few hours had been a godsend. Some good sleep made him feel much better. Looking out the window, he deduced that he must have been asleep for most of the afternoon, as the sun was gently passing away beneath the horizon. He yawned slightly, and stretched, enjoying the satisfying feeling of his bones popping into place.

Now fully awake, Bond noticed a small pile of clothes and the end of his bed. There weren’t many; just a new suit and tie, a casual jacket and shirt, and some trousers. He didn’t know when he’d ever need to wear formal attire around here, as everypony seemed to walk around naked anyway, but he wasn’t complaining. Instead, he picked up a small note on top of the pile, that must have been left by Rarity.

Mr Bond,

I took great delight in making these for you, so I hope they are to your satisfaction. No payment required, of course. I thought it best not to disturb you when I dropped these off. You were out like a light, I must say. I’m afraid I haven’t got time to chat now, though, as my sister, Sweetie Belle, is here for the night. Feel free to stay for as long as you like.

James smiled at the mare’s generosity. Still, he thought it best not to impose, so he decided to head back to the library. Slipping on a pair of trousers and the casual jacket, he made his way downstairs and bid farewell to the unicorn, before stepping out into the brisk early evening air. The agent inhaled deeply, savouring the fresh air, of which he was unaccustomed to. London was all smog and pollution; here he could smell flowers, and fresh grass, and candy, and other such innocent things. It was a welcome relief.

The walk back to the library was uneventful, but relaxing. Rarity had mentioned, while he was on his way out, that Twilight had told her that he was welcome to join the librarian and her assistant for dinner. Realizing that there was no food at his hotel room, and that all of the shops and stalls had closed down for the day, he saw no other alternative. Reaching the front door of the oak tree, he knocked and waited for an answer.

“Come in!” came Twilight’s voice from somewhere inside. “Honestly, James, you don’t need to knock.” She appeared from another room as James stepped inside. “Rarity told you then? Good, the hay fries are just about done.”

Hay fries? You must be joking. Closing the front door behind him, 007 followed the lavender unicorn into the kitchen, where he found the dragon, Spike, already sat at a table.

“They look good on you,” Twilight commented, nodding towards James’ clothes. “I told you Rarity was a natural.”

“She didn’t even need to take measurements,” Bond told her. “Not many people can take someone’s size just by looking at them, much less a being they’ve never seen before.”

“Well, it is her special talent,” Twilight mused, putting piles of the so-called ‘hay fries’ onto three plates. “I hope this is alright for you, James. You didn’t mention your eating habits earlier.”

“No, it’s fine.” James moved through the kitchen and chose a spot at the table. The seats were small compared to what he was used to, but he supposed that was because ponies obviously had such smaller bodies. Honestly, he was surprised they had chairs at all. “Humans are omnivores," he explained. “We’ll stomach just about anything.”

“Omnivores?” Twilight picked up the plates in her aura of magic, and levitated them down onto the table. “As in, you can eat meat as well as other foods?”

"Most do," he said, after thanking her for the meal. "Although some choose not to. I guess it's a choice of preference."

"So, what kinds of meat do you usually eat?" Twilight asked tentatively, popping some fries into her mouth.

"Pork, steak and lamb are the staples, I'd say."

The mare gasped in shock. "Are you saying you slaughter innocent cows, pigs and sheep?" she asked accusingly. "Don't they try to fight back, or say something?"

Bond looked up. "Say something? How could they? They're animals."

Twilight paused. "Wait, so cows and sheep don't talk in your world?"

007 nearly spat out his food. "They do here?"

The unicorn nodded slowly, confused by his bewildered reaction. James' eye twitched slightly. Things keep getting stranger by the minute.

"Humans are the only sapient life on Earth," he explained. "And we make sure any livestock we have live good lives."

“Right...” Bond could tell that Twilight wasn’t comfortable with the idea, but she didn’t hold it against him. After all, what right did she have to argue with his nature? Bond made a mental note, however, to inform her that she needn’t change any of her usual eating habits to accommodate him in the future.

The meal was surprisingly tasty. A little bit of salt went a long way, it seemed. James certainly hadn’t expected to end his day eating hay when he woke up that morning. Then again, he hadn’t expected to end up in a world inhabited by technicolour talking ponies that morning either.

The rest of the evening was mostly uneventful. James spent most of it making idle conversation with Twilight and Spike after dinner. They mostly talked about each others worlds, as Twilight was always eager to learn something different, even if it seemed insignificant. She seemed a bit put off when he brought up some of the more bloody aspects of Earth’s history, so he made a mental note to dance around the subject should it be brought up in any conversations with others.

It was about ten o’clock by the time he reached his hotel room again. He wasn’t nearly as tired as before, but he figured a bit of sleep never hurt anyone. The first order of business for the following morning would be to pick up some food and supplies, but, for now, he was going to rest. For some reason, he felt that tomorrow was going to be an even more unusual day.

Author's Note:

Sorry about the long update wait and shorter chapter, guys. Writer's Block, along with this beauty kind of put me off writing for a while. Still, the next chapter shall be an explosive, action-packed one. Expect it within a week or two.