• Published 18th Nov 2012
  • 3,805 Views, 92 Comments

Shaded Bubbles - Juggalomalice



King Sombra has infiltrated Ponyville to plot his revenge and Derpy lets him rent a room from her.

  • ...
4
 92
 3,805

Phase 01

Defeated, ousted, publicly humiliated, and last, but not least, the immense pain that comes with being crystallized and shattered. The momentarily feeling of nonexistence that accompanies death was a feeling he wished to never feel again and as he flexed his reformed and solid body King Sombra smirked, both at his genius foresight and his luck, both which rivaled the devil pony himself. To believe that crystal regeneration chamber he hid over a thousand years ago would actually work.

He examined the device, one of his last magical works before his banishment. The bright green emeralds which held life restoring magics now stood blacken and slowly crumbling to ash. It was sheer luck that even a faint wisp of his essence made it back here before it vanished with the rest of his body. The whole process of regeneration was new to him and though he lived, it was at a great cost. He could feel a great portion of his magic was gone and he knew not if it would return. Not to mention the lose of his kingdom and ,with it, his armies and sheer resources. The lost of his regalia was of little concern to him though. Though both crown and mantle were powerful magical items they were easily replaced. Indeed, he had made sure to store several of each as well as a numerous other magical devices and trinkets just in case the unthinkable happened.

And the unthinkable did happen. He was defeated, not once, but twice. He studied the dark crystal chamber, untouched and forgotten for over a thousand years. Everything was as he last left it. He approached the small dark crystal wardrobe and opened it. Several crowns and mantles laid before him, each preserved by the same magics which had preserved this room. He swiftly dressed himself, feeling uncomfortable in the natural nakedness of his body. A small depositary of gold and gems laid in the corner as well as a pair of dark lavender saddle bags. Despite all this, King Sombre knew he couldn't just stay in this small hole in the ground.

It had served it's purpose as a recovery place in case of an emergency, but it was ill equipped to house anypony. If he wished to continue living he would have to venture outside. Though his magic was weakened he knew he was still more than a match for any beast who wished to trifle with him and with access to the small, but impressive, magical arsenal he had hidden here he knew for a fact he would have no trouble. Yet despite all that, he knew it was not enough to take over a kingdom. Maybe a small village, but not his old home. The memories of the recent events flooded his mind once more.

“I WAS SO CLOSE!” He roared, as his black magics flared out like fire. “If only those blasted outsiders hadn't interfered. Those annoying ponies and that cursed pink ailcorn and most of all that wretched little dragon.” Of all those ponies that helped steal his kingdom away from him he hated that little dragon the most, for it was him that found and retrieved the crystal heart. I was him King Sombra wanted revenge against. Celestia, Luna, all those other annoying ponies, his whole kingdom. They could all wait. The dragon was first.

He put the purple saddle bags on. He knew they were far from stylish, but it was the powerful enchantments that was on them that he cared for. Enchanted with near limitless holding capacity he began pouring into them all the riches and magical items he could. Soon the chamber was bear of anything worth a shred of value.

He knew the interlopers weren't from the Crystal Kingdom, which meant they had to be from Equestria. It was many days to reach Equestria by hoof and in the freezing north was suicide. Then how did those ponies get here so easily? King Sombre placed his hoof to his chin in thought as he vaguely remembered some strange building which housed a metal-like worm just south of his former kingdom. Those ponies seemed to ride inside that creature's belly so perhaps he could ride it to Equestria. Yes, he would have his revenge. He would infiltrate Equestria incognito and would slowly exact his revenge on his enemies from the shadows. How difficult could it be?

“Yes, delicious revenge shall be mine at last!” He cried out, followed by his trademark evil laugh.

The drivers of the metal-worm, or “train” as they called it, gave him not the slightest bit of trouble in regards to him purchasing a ticket. They claimed that they never heard the name Sombra before and though this troubled the former king he did not dwell on it. It was all for the better that he not be recognized if he was to be incognito. As the King watched the frozen plains speed past him it never occurred to him that part of being incognito was not looking like yourself.

The “worm-riders” told Sombra that the closest town to Canterlot was Ponyville. A peaceful earth pony town that mainly exported apples. When Sombra asked them about a baby purple dragon he was thrilled when they told them that a dragon by that description happened to live there as well. It was all too perfect. A small village, which was home to his new mortal enemy and was just next door to the capital of the hated alicorn sisters. What more could he ask for?

It took one day to reach Ponyville from the frozen north. Sombra was amazed at the speed of the train-worm. Who knows what other feats it could accomplish if given proper training and incentive.

“Worm-Trainer.” Sombra called as he stepped off the train.

“Conductor, sir.” The train conductor corrected with a roll of his eyes.

“Do not jest Worm-trainer, for I did not see the slightest sign of an orchestra in there so you clearly conducted nothing. Anyway, I must congratulate you and your team. I had my doubts about this worm of yours, but it did it's job splendidly. For such a fine job of breeding, when I retake my kingdom and conquer Equestria, I will spare you a life of slave labor in my gem mines.” Sombra said, believing he was bestowing a great honor on the train-conductor.

“Whatever you say, Mac.” The conductor replied with another roll of his eyes. He was growing tired of talking to this insane unicorn and his flamboyant mane which looked like it was magically cut and paste out of Teen Pony magazine.

“Why do you refer to me as this Mac pony? I told you before that my name is King Sombra!” he roared back.

“Sure thing King Mac.” the brown earth pony replied as he boarded the train as it took off to it's next destination.

“Sombra! King Sombra, you addle minded wrench!” the kingly unicorn yelled at the departing train. “I can't help but feel like he was mocking me, but who in their right mind would mock me, King Sombra?”

He briefly looked over the town before him. Ponyville looked very much like the Crystal Kingdom did before he took over. Bright, green, happy and disgusting. The sheer blindly bright color of... everything was a pain to his eyes which, after 1000 years, were accustomed to darkness and shadows. Yes, he couldn't wait to take over this runt of a town and it didn't look like anyone here could stop him if they wanted too.

“One step at a time Sombra.” He said to himself in an attempt to control his excitement. “Remember you're incognito. The first step I need to take is to establish a permanent base of operations and from their I can slowly integrate myself into the society weaving my evil plots right under their noses. I'll need directions to a suitable place though first.” He plotted out loud attracting the attention of several ponies passing by as he scanned the crowds for a suitable peasant to suit his needs. “You there, ridiculous looking drunk mare! I require a word with you.” He called out to a mulberry coated earth pony with a cutie mark of grapes and a strawberry. She turned to face him with a somewhat inebriated expression.

“Me?” She asked with a slight slur.

“Yes, you. I require lodgings for the night and perhaps longer. Direct me to this towns inn” He demanded.

The mare gazed at him with a confused look. “In, but you're already 'in town'. What else do you want to be in?”

“What? An inn woman, lodgings, a place where I pay money in exchange for services and a room to sleep for the night.” Sombra explained.

“Oh, like a hotel!” The mare exclaimed. “Why didn't you say that the first time?” She said as she gave him directions to the nearest one.

The hotel he found was of average quality offering nothing that would make it stand out from any other you would find on the side of the road. He approached the front counter to speak with the desk clerk, a bored looking blue earth stallion who seemed more interested in the Ponyville paper than his potential customer.

“Hello,” Sombra began in a bad attempt to be inconspicuous, “I am... huh... Somber, “he struggled as he barely realized he hadn't thought of an alias, “And I am a normal everyday unicorn who would like to rent a room.” The king seem quite content with his acting performance.

The earth pony didn't even bother to look away from his paper as he tapped a sign next to him and in a melancholy voice read off what it read, “No vacancy.”

Sombra found himself slightly put off by the employee's unwillingness to look at him. “Come now, I just got into town and have no where to stay. Surely you have something available?”

“No vacancy.” The pony repeated with a tap of the sign.

A vein throbbed in Sombra's forehead as he forced himself to remember that he was incognito and couldn't afford to make to much of a scene. “Well could you at least check when a room would be available or at the very least give me directions to another hotel?”

“Do I have to tap the sign again?”

“But you don't seem to want to help...” Sombra was cut off by the distinct sound of a hoof tapping the sign. “ARRRRHGGHHH! Be that way!” Sombra roared as a flash of black light filled the room. Shortly afterward Sombra was seen leaving the hotel lobby. Being the incredible and generous king that he was he left the hotel a parting gift, despite the staff's rudeness. Yes, a lovely crystal encased pony statue now decorated the lobby greatly enhancing the flavor of the room.

King Sombra visited inn after inn only to be told the same thing over and over again. “Sorry, we don't have any rooms open for a normal everyday unicorn. Maybe if you were someone important or royalty we could free one up.”

“Important or royalty you say?” Sombra growled through clenched teeth before he pounded his hooves onto the desk in front of him. “Just who the hell do you think I am?! I am King Sombra, conqueror and rightful ruler of the Crystal Kingdom. I brought darkness and ruin to ponies everywhere. So great was my threat and power that I, A MORTAL BEING, incited the wrath of not one, but TWO, deific beings and even with their power combined they still couldn't kill me! Is that important enough for you?” He shouted out loud having disregarded the concept of subtly.

“You're King Sombra?” The pony across from him asked.

“Yes.”

“Never heard of you.” she said, shooting a metaphysical arrow straight through Sombra's ego.

“Never heard of me? But I was the pony of nightmares. You know, fear and eternal slavery and all that stuff.” He said, almost pleading with the pony across from him to remember his great and evil deeds.

“Nope, doesn't ring a bell.”

“I made a whole kingdom vanish.”

“Sorry.”

“I see.” With that Sombra slowly walked away with his head head down. The gravity of the situation was barely starting to sink in. He didn't need to be incognito. No one knew who he was to begin with. He suddenly felt the heavy weight of time on his shoulders. It wasn't even two weeks ago when he freed himself from his imprisonment and he was already yesterday's news. No, ponies at least remembered yesterday's news. He was over a thousand year old news. Not even a footnote in the history books.

He found himself sulking under a tree in the nearby park slowly listing his greatest accomplishments throughout his life. The greatest moments of his life suddenly meant nothing to anypony else. Not even worth writing in a book. At least in the Crystal Kingdom his name still struck fear into the citizens, but here...

As if to prove his point, at that moment a ball bounced up to him chased by a pink little filly. As the little filly approached, Sombra gave her an evil and frightful snare in an attempt to scare her off. The filly stopped for a few seconds in shock at the unexpected action, before she laughed and picked her ball up. “Weirdo.” She mocked.

“My name use to strike fear in ponies everywhere. Parents would whisper my name to make rambunctious children go to bed early and now... now I can't even scare a little girl. I'm so pathetic.” He hung his head low. His kingly pride all, but shattered. He hadn't been in this town for a day and he already wanted to destroy it. Just level it to the ground. His thoughts of wanton destruction were interrupted by the appearance of a muffin entering his field of vision, as if being offered to him.

“This town denies me so much and now it denies me even my desire to be left in solitude.” He growled as he glared at the offending hoof. He was greeted with the smiling face of a gray pegusus with wonky yellow eyes and blond hair. The more he stared at the mare in front of him the more her eyes drifted apart.

“Huh?” Sombra said to himself as he felt his own eyes drift apart in a vain effort to “look” her in the eyes. He shook his head, shaking his eyes back to their original and rightful place. “What are you doing?” He demanded of the mare.

“Oh sorry.” She apologized, “I didn't mean to bother you. It's just you looked kind of down and I thought maybe I could do something to cheer you up. Then I remembered that whenever I feel sad I eat a muffin and I feel better. So I thought I would give you a muffin, but then I was worried that maybe you wouldn't like muffins, but then I said “Everyone likes muffins”. And why wouldn't they? They're so soft, fluffy, and the come in every flavor and...” She looked at the black coated unicorn to find him giving her a scrutinizing glare. “What I'm trying to say is that I really like muffins and I thought maybe you would too.”

Sombra grudgingly accepted the muffin. Though he hated the idea of being a charity case he was much to depressed to flat out deny the strange mare and her offering.

“It's blueberry, one of my favorite. So why are you all sad?” She asked.

Sombra sighed, “I just realized what it's like to be forgotten and just disappear.”

“Oh, that's a terrible feeling to have. I can understand how you feel. The same thing kind of happened to me once.” She confessed with a somewhat troubled face.

“How could you possibly understand how I feel?” Sombra asked doubtfully.

“Well I'm not sure if it's the same, but sometime ago I kind of did something wrong and it made a lot of ponies really mad. Some of them were really mean about it too. I was trying to help, honest, but they didn't like me. I... I almost disappeared myself.” She admitted as she lightly teared up at the memory. “I just don't know what went wrong.”

Intrigued by her sincere story Sombra found himself asking, “So what happened?”

The cross-eye mare immediately picked up at the question. “My friends, that's what happened. All my friends came out to defend me and that's when I realized how loved I was and that no matter what happens I would always be remembered.”

“Well that's where we differ. I don't have any friends so I guess we'll just end this silly sham of socialization.” He stood up and began to walk off.

“Then I'll be your friend!” The mare blurted out.

Sombra wasn't born yesterday. He was an educated unicorn and knew a great deal about magic and many other fields. He knew that if he just walked off now he would be done with this silly filly and never have to see her again. It would save him a headache at the very least. Even though he knew this, he none the less found himself stopping and staring back at the pegasus with a smirk on his face. “That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard in my life,” He said in between a laugh.

The pegasus smiled when she saw his face. She wasn't as dumb as a lot of ponies thought she was. She knew that some ponies said mean things because they couldn't always be honest with themselves. She was fairly certain this unicorn was one of them.

“See if you're my friend that means I won't forget about you and if you have a friend you don't have to be sad about being forgotten.” She reasoned to him.

Sombra just stared at her for several long agonizing seconds. “Is it really that easy?”

“Eeyup.”

“You're crazy.” He said before he burst into a fit of laughter, his new pegasus friend joining him. Her bright and bubbly laugh ringing together with his booming evil laugh. She didn't question why lighting struck every time he laughed.

“Oh, how rude of me. We're friends now yet I haven’t introduced myself. My name is Derpy Hooves, one of Ponyville's elite mailmares.”

“My name is Sombra. King Sombra to be exact, former, but rightful, ruler of the Crystal Kingdom. I was busy looking for a place to stay here in Ponyville, but no one seems to have a vacant room for me to use.”

“Oh, in that case I can rent out the spare guest room in my house to you.” Derpy offered.

“You would do that?” Sombra asked with confusion. “You don't even know me.”

“Sure I do. You're my new friend that I just met today.”

“But, I...”

“Do you want the room or not?”

“Yes.” He quickly answered.

“Good, then follow me and I'll show you my house. I know a lot of ponies so once you get settled in I'll even help you look for a job.” Derpy said cheerfully. Ponies were like muffins to her.

And she has never met a muffin she didn't like.