• Published 20th Nov 2012
  • 8,270 Views, 333 Comments

It's The Thought That Counts - DerpyMuffins15



Twilight Lulamoon goes through life with Trixie as her sister!

  • ...
26
 333
 8,270

Vacation All I Ever Wanted

“Aunt Nightie!” The sisterly duo cheered as they rushed alongside the courtyard to greet their relative. The pair dropped their school bags off with the chauffeur standing nearby and surprised the waiting mare with a jumping hug, rustling against her warm coat.

“Heya kiddos!” The cream colored pegasus chirped in a soothing voice as she prepared for the assault. Her natural mane had streaks of sky blue running all the way to her tail, which she left uncut until necessary.

She towered above both fillies and hunched over to give them both noogies as she entrapped them in her agile wings. Her cutie mark displaying a golden lightning bolt that daggered across an ace of spades. “Long time no see you two!”

“What are you doing here, Aunt Nightie? We haven’t seen you since last year!” Twilight grinned as she tried to struggle out of the vice grip the wings had on her. “How have you been?”

“Just dandy, Twilight, thanks for asking.” She smiles, squeezing the polite filly with her wing. “Have you been staying out of trouble, Trixie?” Nighting asked with a cocked grin.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Trixie asked back, shyly staring at her Aunt.

“Oh nothing,” she giggled, Twilight accompanying her. Trixie grew red with anger and crossed her front hooves as their Auntie tried to reconcile. Nighting softly nudged her upset niece with a hoof, waiting to see the filly smile again.

“How about you spend the weekend with me in Cloudsdale?” Nighting offered with a wide smile. “Just you two, myself, and the poker gals; it’ll be fun. What do ya say?”

Twilight started politely excusing herself, remembering her schedule. “Sorry Auntie, but we kinda have a book report due Mon-”

“We’re in!” Trixie answered for them, completely forgetting that she was angry. While she ignored the annoyed stare Twilight shot her way, Trixie flashed herself out of the vice grip.

“But the book report!” Twilight protested as she teleported free herself. She unlatched her bags and magicked out two cinder block-size books. “We have to finish reading, “War and Peace,” by Saturday and the reading assignments are due on Monday! We can’t spend the entire weekend goofing off!”

“Didn’t you already read that book?” Trixie answered back, dismissing the matter altogether.

Twilight stopped in her tracks as her cheeks turn into a lighter mulberry. “So what if I have?” She answered, looking straight at Trixie.

“Problem solved then! You can do the book reports and I’ll go have fun with Aunt Nightie,” Trixie nonchalantly answered back. “It’s not like you’ve got plans for the weekend; we both know that Twi.”

Twilight opened her mouth to protest, but let it hang as nothing came out but stuttering. “...I-I... I’ll get right on it...” Twilight easily agreed, hanging her head low. She quietly walked into the carriage with their saddle bags; magicking out parchment and a quill as she entered.

“Thanks!” Trixie cheered, walking back to their watching aunt. “So, what do you want to do first Aunt Nightie?” Trixie squealed in excitement. “Jet ski? Climb a mountain? Yachting?”

The still pegasus stared at her niece in shock as the filly’s cheery smile turned into confusion. “Trixie... That was rather mean of you...” She managed to get out.

“What...?” Trixie answered. Her expression scrunched into a worried frown, frightened that she may have done something wrong.

“Don’t you think that was a little bit mean of you; what you said to Twilight just now?” Nighting said in a raised voice, scolding her a bit.

“... No...” Trixie answered honestly, but hesitated. She looked at the ground and inched backwards. “D-did I say something wrong?”

“It’s not if you did or not, but...” Nighting stopped to choose her words carefully, thinking of a nice way to teach Trixie a lesson. “You were very mean to Twilight when you said that and it hurt her to hear those words from her sister of all ponies.”

“But you always told me to tell the truth...” Trixie quickly added to remind her angry aunt, as she nearly teared up. She distanced herself from her conflicted aunt and glued her eyes to the asphalt ground.

“I know what I said,” Nighting said, cursing herself for not choosing better words with a lawyer’s daughter. “However there’s a difference between being honest and being mean, and there’s a time when you have to decide for yourself which is which. I know you're better than this, Trixie.”

“I-I’m sorry if I did anything wrong...” Trixie mumbled. She stopped her backward pacing and sat on her haunches with head hung miserably low.

“Hey, cheer up, kiddo,” Nighting assured, closing the distance easily and draping a wing over her niece. “Look, I don’t want to be tough on you, but what you said to Twilight was really mean. It’s not me you should be apologizing to,” Nighting said in a softer tone. She lifted up Trixie’s chin and directed her vision to the carriage.

“I’ll go apologize to Twilight now,” Trixie agreed immediately.

“Good,” Nighting smiled, releasing her niece from her wing. “I’ll meet you two back at your Mom’s place. Forgive me if I don’t ride with you two, but I’m gonna need to stretch my wings for a bit; be a good girl now, Trixie.”

Nighting backtracked from her niece and spread her wings to full expansion, leaping into the air before flapping the trained symmetrical appendages with powerful shoulder muscles.

Trixie watched as her aunt disappeared within seconds of taking off, creating an updraft that pushed her back enough to topple her. Moments later she heard a familiar boom, which she knew was the breaking of the sound barrier. Trixie wasted no time hopping into the carriage and shutting the door behind her as it began to take off towards home.

She looked to her right and saw Twilight patiently sitting alone, her head inches from a book and an enchanted quill automatically writing on several floating parchments. “Hey Twilight!” Trixie said heartedly, breaking the dead silence. She hopped onto the seat next to Twilight, trying to get her attention. “What you doing there Twi?” Trixie asked, waving a hoof in front of her sister’s face.

“Our homework, remember,” Twilight quickly remarked. She never lifted her eyes off the pages, using the hardcover book to cover her facade.

“T-thanks,” Trixie nervously replied. She rubbed the back of her mane, thinking of the best way to apologize to a bookworm. “Umm... Sorry, Twi...” She mumbled quickly. “You know... For that thing, at that place, with that pony, etc.”

Twilight quickly lowered her book, raising a brow of confusion. She clasped the covers of the book shut with a poof and stared at Trixie in bewilderment. “Was that an apology?” Trixie slightly nodded as she backed away uncomfortably. “Thanks... I guess?” Twilight replied. She reopened the oversized book and stuck her head into it again.

“Wait... That’s it?” Trixie asked, “No shouting or yelling at me for being mean to you?”

“There’s no point really,” Twilight half sighed and shrugged her shoulders. “You’re just being you; not much I can do about that.”

“Hey! What’s that supposed to mean?” Trixie asked defensively, growing red.

“You’re illogical, emotions are illogical; therefore there is no point in arguing with the illogical,” Twilight recited. She flashed out more parchment from her saddle bag, along with several more quills and ink wells, dipped each feather into the black ink, and began more scribing.

“What do you mean I’m illogical?!” Trixie shouted right into Twilight’s ear.

Twilight winced from the sudden increase in volume and pulled back, gently rubbing her sensitive ear. “You base your actions on emotions from past experiences and think that because someone doesn’t react to it in a certain way, it’s they who are strange.”

“English, Doc, English!” Trixie yelled, as she gripped both of Twilight’s cheeks and puffed them. “I can’t feel insulted if I can’t understand you!”

“Ugg, fine...” Twilight grunted, she set down the book and gently pushed Trixie down. “Simply put, you’re just not worth the troubles and headaches, Trixie,” she answered. “You’re rich, spoiled, and always get what you want. It’s just easier if I just go with it instead of against, since you’re the golden one here.”

“I’m... I’m not the golden one...” Trixie mumbled. She turned away from Twilight and looked at her unruly, stuffed saddle bags.

“Don’t worry about it; you’re just going through the five stages of grief. Everypony goes through each one at different rates so don’t get your hopes up so quickly. Others go through it slowly, taking months at a time, while others take quicker roads. First is denial.”

“I’m not the golden one.” Trixie scoffed, laughing it off.

“Then anger.”

“HOW COULD YOU POSSIBLY THINK I’M THE GOLDEN ONE?!” Trixie exclaimed into Twilight’s ear again.

The deaf filly rubbed her ears to muffle out more shouting, but heard nothing but a continuous beep. She sighed, magicking out a pair of earmuffs and put them on for her own safety. “Then bargaining.”

“Please Twilight, I’ll do anything!” Trixie gasped as sweat began beading down. “Just don’t say I’m the golden one! How about we trade places? Haha? You and me, you can be the golden one from now on!” Trixie whined, tearing up and hugging her sister’s waist.

“Depression.” Twilight continued, prying Trixie off to get circulation going again.

“Why bother anymore...? It’s not worth it... Why even bother with anything that doesn’t matter anymore...?” Trixie sighed, looking adamantly up into Twilight’s eyes. Resting her head inside Twilight’s lap — arms limply hanging — Twilight returned her a weirded out stare.

“And... Hopefully acceptance,” Twilight nervously muttered. She gently patted, Trixie’s mane, hoping her sister would get to the next stage and soon.

“Well... It’s can’t exactly be helped can it?” Trixie sighed, laughing a bit to herself. “It’s my fault that I allowed myself to become spoiled anyways... Sorry if I did anything mean to you in the first place, Twi.”

“Like I’ve said, don’t worry about it,” Twilight smiled. Her magic wrapped around the thick-layered book, levitating it over Trixie’s bare chest.

“Umm, Twi... N-no hard f-feelings? R-right...?” Trixie worriedly huffed, bringing her fore hooves up to protect herself.

“Yes, hard feelings and LOTS of them,” Twilight laughed, disconnecting her magic flow. The book stopped glowing in her aura, hanging in suspension before falling directly onto Trixie. She heard a loud thud, followed by Trixie’s forced breath out. What came next was something she hadn’t calculated. She heard a loud crack and screaming. Lots and lots of screaming.

|~|~|~|~|~|

“Three broken ribs and twelve fractured,” a doctor pony intoned. He attentively rubbed his chin and had a spectroscopy hanging limply around his neck. He stared at a lighted x-rays of Trixie’s ribcage with mild interest and turned to the filly. “Now, tell me again, what exactly happened?”

“Reading,” Trixie answered, sitting straight up on a medical bed. She winced from trying to breathing, taking fast and shallow breaths to cause as little pain as possible.

“Unless there is some extreme sport concerning reading that you young ponies have just created, I’m having a hard time believing you here.” He replied, unpacking a roll of bandages with his magic.

“I told you reading was dangerous.” Trixie mumbled to Twilight, who was nervously creating a rut in the floor. “But nooooo, ‘reading gets you far in life,’” Trixie quoted. “What do you have to say now, Twilight?! Ow, ow, okay it hurts too much to talk... Ow, ow, ow...”

“I’m sorry, Trixie...” She sighed. Letting her head drop to inches from the ground, Twilight returned to her pacing.

“I told you so! Ow, ow, ow... Okay... Gotta stop talking...” Trixie cringed, delicately rubbing her chest.

“Well, if you two fillies are done,” he gestured, magicking a clipboard out. “Since both of you are minors, I’m gonna have to get a signature for this release from a parent or legal guardian.”

“Don’t worry, I’ve got Mom’s signature memorized,” Trixie said, taking hold of the clipboard with her magic.

“That’s highly illegal, Trixie,” Twilight complained, fighting Trixie’s hold with her own magic.

“Well, unless you want to be stuck here and not spend the weekend with Aunt Nightie, this is gonna be necessary Twilight,” Trixie retorted, yanking the clipboard towards her direction.

“I don’t want twenty-five to life in prison!” Twilight yelled, yanking the clipboard back.

“Just trust me for once!” Trixie angrily mumbled through clenched teeth.

“I trust you to make a mess of things that I’ll have to clean up later and take the blame for!” Twilight screamed, yanking the clipboard even harder. She heard a snapping noise of flat wood and saw that the clipboard was snapped in two. Her aura held one half as Trixie’s held the other, papers flying everywhere around them.

“This is all your fault!” Trixie yelled directly into Twilight’s face.

“MY fault?! How is this possibly MY fault?!” Twilight yelled back.

“If you had just done my homework like you always did, we wouldn’t be inside an ER with both of us arguing with each other!” Trixie shouted back.

“Oh so it’s my fault that you’re too lazy to do your own work?!” Twilight screamed, poking Trixie in the chest.

Trixie ignored the pain that came up and returned to their shouting contest. “I’m NOT LAZY!” She shouted, giving Twilight a shove back. “And it’s what sister’s do for each other! If I can’t rely on someone to help me once in a while, then what’s the point of having a sister at all?!”

“Really?!” Twilight asked, rolling her eyes. “When was the last time you did anything for me?! Last I checked if it weren’t for me, you wouldn’t even be in this school in the first place!”

“And if I hadn’t come along, you would be dead Twilight, probably in some gutter somewhere crying your eyes out! Heck if I hadn’t come along you wouldn’t even have a chance to go to this school in the first place!” Trixie rebutted.

“Now what’s THAT supposed to mean?” Twilight angrily asked.

“You... You...” Trixie huffed, trying to contain her frustration and anger as best she could. “You can be ungrateful sometimes, Twilight.” She said through clenched teeth, taking long breaths to ease the pain growing in her chest.

“YOU are calling ME ungrateful?!” Twilight repeated. “ME, your sister, who does all your homework, allows you copy during school assignments and cheat with tests. How is that ungrateful of me?! I risked being kicked out and YOU’RE the one calling me ungrateful?!”

“Now, fillies, if you two don’t stop this shouting match, I’m afraid I’m gonna have to call security and the both of you will be down at the police station. If you two don’t mind, I just need a signature, not necessarily a parent or legal guardian, just someone who isn’t a minor.” The doctor intervenes, cleaning up papers around the room with his magic.

“Pfft,” Trixie puffed at an out of line hair, “now what are we gonna do?”

“I don’t know...” Twilight sighed. “We’re underage and the last thing we want is for Mom to find out.”

“While you two sort this all out, I’m gonna have a nurse wrap some bandages on you. It’ll take a few months before those bones heal properly,” said the doctor pony as he exited.

“C’mon Twilly, you can do it! Use that big brain of yours,” Trixie cheered, hugging Twilight’s face.

She softly shoved Trixie away, minding her broken ribs. “Don’t call me Twilly. I hate that,” she grumbled.

“Sure thing, Twilly,” Trixie spited.

“Fine, whatever,” Twilight sighed, rubbing her temples. “Our biggest problem is getting someone’s signature that’s over eighteen.”

“No, our biggest problem is figuring out how to keep this from Mom,” Trixie reminded.

“That too,” Twilight sighed, adding another problem to her mental checklist. She hopped off the medical bed and began to pace again, starting a new rut in the ground. “You can always call Alfred.” She voiced with optimism.

“Are you crazy Twi?!” Trixie exclaimed. “He’ll tell Mom for sure! I’m having him spy on Mom while she has him spying on me!”

“How does that work?” Twilight asked with part confusion and part interest.

“While Mom has Alfred spying on me, I have Alfred spying on her. He’s like one of those double agents,” Trixie explained. “If Alfred finds out about this, he’ll tell Mom for sure. Not even a Hearth’s Warming Eve bonus will get his loyalty that easily,” she sighed.

“Not everyone can be bought with money,” Twilight scolded, returning to her pacing.

“How else are you gonna bribe someone except with money?” Trixie scoffed.

“I’ve heard trust and friendship works pretty well,” Twilight suggested.

Trixie tapped her chin curiously, considering her sister’s words. “Nah...” Trixie said, shaking her head. “The quickest way to a pony’s heart is through their greed.”

“I’m sure that’s not the way the quote goes,” Twilight argued.

“Potato, tomato.” Trixie dismissed.

“I’m sure that’s not the way that quote goes either,” Twilight corrected again.

“Twilly, focus! We have bigger problems than if my quotes are right or not!” Trixie shouted.

“I know, I know, and stop calling me Twilly!” Twilight grumbled.

“Hello everypony. I’ve heard you needed bandages?” The greeting came from a snowy unicorn. She quietly walked in, reading from Trixie’s medical papers that were inside an aged folder covering her face.

“Yea, my sister Trixie over there,” Twilight answered, pointing a hoof in the injured filly’s general diction. “She has three broken ribs, twelve fractured, no internal bleeding thankfully, but mild bruising around and mostly in her mid-torso.” Twilight informed, getting the nurse up to date.

“Oh, this is quite a pleasant surprise.” She giggled, lowering the folder.

“Sil-” Trixie gasped, before an alabaster hoof was used to muffle the rest of the name. The unexpected nurse raised a hoof to her lips. Making a shush gesture, she pointed to Twilight who stared attentively against an opal wall.

“Please raise your hooves up, Miss Lulamoon. These bandages may hurt you for some time, but they will keep the ribs in line while you heal.” Silver informed in a higher voice. Trixie did her best not to giggle, raising her arms for Silver to bandage.

‘What are you doing here?’ Trixie mouthed to Silver.

‘My mom works here as a doctor and I sometimes help with the patients,’ Silver mouthed back. ‘What happened to you Trixie? You look terrible.’ She began unrolling the cloth-like bandage and softly wrapped Trixie’s chest.

‘I tried doing my homework for the first time. Twilight keeps saying it’ll help me in life but it nearly ended mine today. I keep telling her reading is dangerous, but noooo.’ Trixie said, rolling her eyes.

‘Reading got you three broken ribs and twelve more fractured?’ Silver asked, curious about the details.

‘Have you ever read War and Peace?’ Trixie asked.

‘Yea, it’s about the Neighpoleonic era, describing in detail the impact of Neighpoleon’s invasion of Russia through the eyes of five wealthy Russian families. The reading is due Money. Did you do it already?’ Silver asked back. ‘It’s barely Friday weekend.’

‘Well, Twi and I were sitting in our carriage, her doing her stuff and me beginning the reading so I don’t have to do it later; you know like the good student I am. Long story short, I was laying on my back reading and the book dropped on me.’ Trixie explained.

‘Why would you do that? Those books are as thick as a cinderblock.’ Silver cautioned. ‘And probably weigh just as much. You should count this as a lucky day, Trixie; nothing more than a few broken ribs and no internal bleeding.’

‘Believe me, Silver, I will. That’s why I will never read another book ever again as long as I’m still alive.’ Trixie promised with a beam.

‘Not exactly what I meant Trixie...’ Silver nervously grinned. She finished wrapping the bandages, tucking the open end into the bandages. ‘What’s Twilight doing?’ She asked worriedly as she looked to the other filly.

‘She’s thinking about whether or not I should forge our Mom’s signature so that we can get out of here.’ Trixie dismissed. ‘So, what does your mom do here anyways, Silver?’

‘Oh, she’s the head nero-doctor,’ Silver answered, surprised someone so young could already forge signatures.

‘When you say doctor, do you mean everything about neurology?’ Trixie asked to clarify.

‘That’s what her masters and PhDs say,’ Silver replied pridefully.

Trixie found herself posing a face with a mixture of impressed and skeptical at the same time. ‘That’s kinda impossible...’ She said.

‘I don’t see why,’ Silver retorted back.

‘Well, a normal neuro-physician has to spend at least thirteen years in medical school, another fifteen in order to be a neurosurgeon, and another decade to be a neuropsychologist. The earliest she could have started college would have been at age ten. If you add all that up, she should be at retirement age.’

‘Our family doesn’t let something like time slow us down, Trixie,’ Silver snickered with a hoof raised to cover her giggles.

“I’ll do it.” Twilight said after her long silence, drawing the attention of both ponies beside her. She continued her adamant stare at the wall, like it was the only thing she was interested in.

“Do what exactly, Twilly?” Trixie asked. She hopped off the medical bed and leisured towards Twilight whose forehead was leaned lazily against the wall.

“Stop calling me Twilly, and I’m just gonna have to tell the truth to Mom. There’s no way of us getting out of this without her knowing and it is my fault you’re even here in the first place,” Twilight sighed. “If you want to come visit me, I’ll be back at the orphanage,” muttered Twilight, trying to keep tears back.

“Back at the orphanage? What are you saying Twi? Why would I visit you there?” Trixie comforted, gently patting her on the back.

“Trixie... We’re in the ER. You have three broken ribs, twelve more fractured, and unless we get a signature for the release forms, the doctors are gonna call security and have us sent to a police station where they’ll detain us and then call Mom. She’ll kill both of us, ground us, and I still haven’t even read all the Daring Doo books yet...” Twilight sniffed, wiping a tear away.

“So what?” Trixie giggled. “Que sera, sera, amIrite?”

“You don’t even know what that means do you?” Twilight questioned.

“Nope, not at all,” she grinned. “We’ve been through worse Twi and we’ll get through this. The worse thing that could happen is we both share a grave.” Trixie joked, trying to laugh it off.

“This is serious Trixie... Either one of us goes down or both of us go down. Since I know you didn’t read the Titanic, only one of us can possibly get out alive.” Twilight moped.

“A captain goes down with her ship!” Trixie countered, nudging Twilight with her shoulder. “And things can only go up when you hit rock bottom.”

“Look... Trixie... I know you mean well, but there’s no getting out of this... It’s no longer we anymore... Just you,” she sniffed.

“And what if I said I have a way for the both of us to get out of this scratch free without Mom knowing? Come on Twi! It’s the weekend! We’re spending it with Aunt Nightie! That Never happens! Cheer up!” Trixie tried to cajoled.

“We need a literal act of Faust for that to happen, Trixie...” Twilight doubted, covering her face with both hooves. “And no one’s willing to just sign two fillies’ release form without asking questions or calling Mom first,’ Twilight mumbled as she laid face down on the unsanitized floors.

“Well, I may not be Faust,” Silver greeted, surprising Twilight into jumping out of her skin and instantly turning around, “but some ponies do call me a miracle worker.” She grinned.

“S-Silver?” Twilight gasped, trying to contain her heart rate. “What are you doing here?”

“Helping out a friend,” she smiled. “You’re a good sister, Twilight, taking the blame for everything. That’s quite mature of you.”

“T-thanks...” Twilight sniffed, beaming again.

“Told you I can get us out of this,” Trixie grinned, lightly elbowing her relieved sister. “You should never doubt the Great and Powerful Trixie!” Trixie cheered in her monologue.

“Alright, I won’t doubt you again,” Twilight smiled, giggled at the silliness.

“Now, just because I’m bailing you two out this time doesn’t mean you should go out and seek more trouble,” Silver warned, looking at Trixie in particular. She magicked the release form from a messy pile of gathered papers. Another flash from her horn and a quill puffed out.

“Thanks, Silver!” Trixie grinned, helping Twilight up. “See ya Monday!”

“Hopefully,” Twilight added, making Silver snicker.

“Just give the form to the mare sitting at the front desk and say you’re parents are waiting outside for you,” Silver directed, levitating the papers to Twilight. “If anyone stops you or starts asking you question, just say I sent you to get more IVs. Be careful you two.”

“We will, and thanks again, Silver,” Twilight returned.

The sisters walked to the doorway, looking both ways and journeyed down a straight hallway, filled with rushing ponies needing to get somewhere urgent. Silver stayed behind, watching as both fillies, turn a corner and disappeared.

|~|~|~|~|~|

“Trixie... What happened to you?” Their opal aunt asked. “I was apart from you for just thirty minutes...” Nighting sighed. “And why do you have bandages?” The athletic racer asked, recognizing the types of injuries that would need bandages in the first place.

“I was reading,” Trixie answered, stepping down from her aunt’s back. She took her first steps into the blissful clouds, feeling the soft textures under her hooves. She felt like taking a nap and anywhere would be a great place to. Before she knew it, a yawn had escaped her mouth.

“Reading got you bandages for your chest?” Nighting asked, skeptical of her niece’s story. “Unless there’s some extreme sport where reading requires you to bash each other with crystal hard books, the worse you’ll get is a paper cut.”

The patient pegasus gently lowered Twilight to the clouds from her back, nudging both drowsy fillies towards a separate cloud-home far from the norm of the central city of Cloudsdale. Finally at the wooden door, Nighting picked a pair of house keys from the fold of her right wing.

Once inside, Nighting softly pushed both her nieces into the living room and her wings and lit a candle for light. She sat the fillies onto her couch and began the troublesome work of interrogation. “Do any of you two want to tell me something before I start asking what happened?”

“Can we...” Twilight stopped mid-sentence, letting out a yawn and rubbing her drooping eyes, “Can we do this tomorrow, Aunt Nightie? Trixie and I are kinda beat after a whole week of school.” Twilight yawned again, softly falling into the puffy pillows of the couch and rolling into a ball. Trixie soon joined her, utilizing Twilight’s body as a pillow.

“Alright, fine, but first thing tomorrow we’re all sitting down and talking about what happened.” Nighting conceded, picking up both fillies with her strong wings. She hopped up a set of stairways, taking care as to not disturb the fillies. Making her way past her bedroom door, she laid both onto her only bed.

“Goodnite,” Nighting cooed, laying each one on either side. “Sleep tight,” she continued, tucking both of them in with a warm blanket, “And don’t let Nightmare Moon bite.”

She blew gentle kisses on their foreheads, walking towards the door and blowing out all but one of the room’s candles. Nighting took the remaining candle in a holster that gripped to her hoof, trying not to spill any wax.

She gently closed the door, leaving just a crack open to let in a streak of light. Taking a quick peek back, Nighting saw both Twilight’s and Trixie’s already slowed breathing. She proceeded downstairs, pulling out an extra blanket from a nearby table with her mouth and headed to the couch.

Nighting gently placed the candle holster onto a table, making sure not to spill any hot wax. Nose-diving onto the makeshift bed, Nighting hoofed her pillow for more fluff.

The tiring mare shoved her hoof into the cushions, pulling out a deck of cards and shuffled the pile. Making sure it was well mixed; she cut the deck and shuffled again. She pulled the first four cards, all of them aces of each house.

Sighing, she set aside the cards and pulled more. All face cards, she drew. Looking at her lightning bolted cutie mark on her flank, she sighed at the dumbfounded luck her special talent endlessly provided. “Luck of the draw as always,” Nighting said to herself.

She added the cards back into the deck and shuffled again. Nighting drew, getting the same cards as always, aces first, face cards next. “Maybe I should try the lottery next,” she sighed as a tired yawn came out. Nighting set the deck down and rested on her side, using a wing as covering.

Pulling the blanket over herself, she blew out the candle and watched the grey puffs of smoke slither from the dying ember. Rustling until she got into a more comfortable position, she felt like she was sleeping on Lincoln logs. A few moments of sleepless rustling later, Nighting gave up on natural methods of sleeping.

She kicked off the blankets and walked behind the couch to the kitchen counter. Nighting might not have a home as big or mighty as her sister-in-law, but one that kept you dry and warm was more than enough in her book. Half-limping to the medicine cabinet, she reached for the top shelf, picking up a bottle of sleeping pills.

“Some sleeping pills and then off to bed,” she groaned. Slumping away, Nighting remembered she didn’t have anything to down the medicine with. “Okay, some sleeping pills, whisky, and then off to bed,” she groaned as she made the round trip.

Grabbing a half-emptied bottle of whiskey, she uncapped the sleeping medicine and took a hoof-full. She gulped the pills and finished the rest of the whiskey. Walking back to the couch, she crashed into the soft landing pad before snores erupted from her.

Half her body covered with a blanket and leaning on the edge of falling off, Nighting was unaware of two fillies watching behind a corner. Both had the top of their heads sticking out, watching their aunt’s actions.

“Alright, Aunt Nightie’s out cold,” Trixie whispered to her partner in crime.

“I-I’m not sure this is such a good idea...” Twilight doubted.

“Come on, Twi! Just think of all the spells Mom put into this book!” Trixie cajoled. “Don’t you want to be able to read in the dark?”

“Well...” Twilight thought, “It does sound pretty cool. I won’t be alerting anyone and I can stay up as long as I want without needing a candle.”

“Exactly!” Trixie shouted, unexpectedly.

“Shhh!” Twilight hushed, putting her entire hoof into Trixie’s loud mouth. They stood on edge as both sisters turned to the source of oncoming rustling. Nighting moved around on the couch before more soft snores erupted again. “That was close,” Twilight said, breathing a sigh of relief.

Trixie spat out her sister’s hoof and headed back up to their rooms, followed closely by Twilight. Once in, they softly closed the door and cast several dozen soundproofing spells each. Twilight cast an alarm spell in case their aunt awoke and Trixie put up illusion spells to make it look like they were both asleep.

“Alright, that should be enough,” Twilight huffed, wiping a drip of sweat from her brow. She followed Trixie onto their beds as she took out the mysterious book. Thinking she heard a voice, Twilight spoke her concerns again, “I still don’t think we should be doing this.”

“We won’t get caught, Twi,” Trixie whispered. “Trust me and besides, we’ve put enough spells to fool a unicorn.”

“I don’t know...” Twilight hesitated, watching the door. She shifted her hooves nervously, making enough noise to wake somepony were it not for their spells.

“Just calm down, Twilly,” the jejune filly assured. “Have I ever steered us wrong before?”

“Yes!” Twilight answered immediately, “Several dozen times! A day! And stop calling me Twilly!”

“Shhh!” Trixie hushed, just as loud. “Alright, alright, but this plan is foolproof!” Trixie tried to reassure her.

“How?” Twilight asked, skeptic.

“Since we can only unlock one page at time, that’s exactly what we’ll do,” Trixie explained.

“THAT’S your master plan?!” Twilight angrily shouted.

“Shhh!” Trixie exclaimed. “This is the only plan we’ve got so unless you have better idea, this is the best shot we’ve got.”

“It’ll take all night though!” Twilight warned.

“I know, that’s why we’ll take turns,” Trixie continued. “Since you did the first page, I’ll do the next and vice versa. Presto, after a few hours, we’ve got ourselves a completed spell book.”

Twilight let out an exhausted sigh, still feeling the effects of her previous endeavors. “What if Aunt Nightie wakes up?”

“We’ll burn that bridge when we get there,” Trixie dismissed.

“It’s ‘We’ll cross that bridge when we get there,’” Twilight corrected. “Why would you burn a perfectly good bridge?” She questioned.

“Same difference,” Trixie argued. Getting an angry glare from Twilight, Trixie forced a smile and tried to appease her tired sister. “Why don’t you get some Z’s Twi? I’ll take first watch and try to unlock as many pages as I can.”

“Alright, but don’t stay up too late,” Twilight cautioned. She stiffed another yarn and inched her way to the fluffy pillows. She curled around them, creating a cocoon for herself from two pillows and two layers of blankets.

“I know, Twilly,” Trixie dismissed again, flipping through the pages of the spell-bound book. “Don’t call me Twilly,” comes the muffled response she heard come from the bulged pile. “I don’t get why you hate that name so much.”

“I just don’t like it, okay?” Twilight answered under the covers.

“Whatever floats your boat, Twi,” Trixie agreed. She directed her attention to the book, studying the invisible runes tucked between the seams of the pages. Flipping through more pages, she found all of them to be enchanted in the same way, but with different spells each time.

Paranoid much, Mom? Trixie cursed to herself. Channeling more mana into her horn, the magic conductor glowed like the sun, enlightening the entire room. Half her focus then directed for several dozen more illusion spells, dispersing the light as quickly as it came.

Half exhausted from the mirage spells alone, Trixie decided to take a breather. Hiding the book under the cushions Twilight was using, Trixie exited their rooms for some fresh air. She tiptoed down the stairs, thanking Faust they did not creak like wooden ones.

Her shadow rounded the corner just as she did and Trixie peered through the living room and saw her Aunt was still knocked out cold. Like a serpent, Trixie slithered across the puffy cloud floors towards a stocked fridge. Making a small noise as she opened it, Trixie peered back at the couch.

Nighting was sound asleep, dreaming of heart’s desire. “Phew,” Trixie breathed as her cover was not yet blown. She gently cracked the fridge door wider, letting the yellow light shine through the opening.

Trixie scanned through the contents of the fridge, finding it stocked with her wildest dreams. It was filled to the brink with c-h-o-c-o-l-a-t-e, chocolate. Her second favorite thing in the world if she had to narrow it down. Carefully levitating a black-forest cake out, she set it on the counter.

Unable to reach the towering shelf, Trixie blinked herself on the countertop. Next to her cake rested a container of jellybeans, or what seemed to have been candy in the form of pills. Unable to read the label in the dark, Trixie silently opened the canister.

Try as she might, no matter how hard she twisted the cap, it wouldn’t come off. More exhausted than she was before, Trixie forwent the magical attempt and settled for her teeth. She clamped her entire maw on the cap, twisting with all her might. It wasn’t long until she felt her teeth start to ache, letting go of the pressure before she hurt herself.

Trixie would have even resorted to banging the cap on the counter if it wouldn’t have awoken her Aunt the moment she did. She was far from a quitter (if her persistence to defy her mother at all costs said anything on the matter) and jelly beans or no jelly beans she was going to get the cap opened.

Trixie lit the tip of horn, barely enough light for view, but enough to read the labels. The tiresome filly facehoofed as she saw the warning on the cap. According to the labels, the bottle was foalproofed. Extinguishing her light, Trixie pressed down on the cap and twist, this time it came opened easily.

Finally! Trixie triumphantly cheered. She gulped down the entire bottle, which didn’t have much more than a few jelly beans left. Trixie chewed on the tiny pills, expecting a burst of fruits, but instead she tasted something bitter enough to make her tongue fall out.

She quickly coughed the horrible tasting jelly beans out into the sink, trying her best to forget the horrible, lasting aftertaste. Several minutes of silently couching the disgusting treat out, Trixie felt her head go woozy. She began swaying back and forth before her knees buckled and she fell onto the thankfully soft, cloud floor.

With her vision rapidly growing foggy, Trixie tried to fight against the drug’s effect, but to no avail. She drifted in and out of consciousness, desperate trying to get back into the bedroom, lest she be discovered. Come on body! Work with me here! Trixie screamed in her head.

Before long, Trixie couldn’t even keep her eyelids open. Finally succumbing to the drug’s effects, Trixie fell asleep instantly, but not before she saw a pony’s shadow from around the corner. Trixie closed her eyes for the final time, falling into slumber altogether.

|~|~|~|~|~|

Beep…

There it was again, that insistent sound that kept going no matter how hard she tried to zone it out. Trixie didn’t know where it came from, but she had been listening to it for the last hour or so.

Beep…

Trixie couldn’t quite put her hoof on it, but she was sure she had heard the annoying beep somewhere before, somewhere recent. Unable to do anything else but think, she set her mind trying to remember the events that led her here.

Beep…

After concentrating for what seemed like forever, Trixie remembered she had to do something, something important and that she couldn’t be discovered or else. No matter how much she tried, however, her mind was still too foggy to remember properly.

Beep…

Now it was just annoying. She didn’t care how tired she was or how numb her everything was, Trixie had a new mission: to find out what that sound was and stop it from ever beeping again.

Beep…

Trixie groggily opened her eyes, blinded by the sudden rush of light. Her eyes hurt to keep opened, so she squinted until they adjusted. Correcting herself, there was no light at all, just a headlight just above her head. Next to her were several dozen machines, all of their strange lights blinking.

Beep…

Trixie tried to move her arms, only to find that a small tube was attached to it. Barely able to move anything, she twisted her head for a better view. Apparently, she had been stabbed with a sharp needle and was now being fed some kind of strange looking water from a bag.

Beep…

She tried to groan, but found her throat to be desert dry. Trying to lick her chapped lips, she found even her tongue was dry. How that was possible she didn’t know.

Beep…

She heard the annoying beep continue and if it happened again, she swore she would rip her ears off just so it would stop. Twisting her head to the other side, Trixie found where the sound originated. It was from a machine that was playing a racing game. Across the screen, a single line would dash across before it hit a bump and returned to going straight.

Beep…

She had had it. Trixie looked to where the machine was hooked to and found a wire directly connected to her hoof. Trixie ignited her magic, but only found dead sparks to come out. She would have screamed from the splitting headache the attempt caused her if not for her bare throat.

Beep…

It was now down to her headache and the machine as to which would drive her more insane. Trixie decided it would be the machine. No matter how much her body screamed, Trixie tore off the machine’s clamp from her hoof.

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep…

Somehow she had made it worse for herself. Instead of a beep every few seconds, the sound was now constant. On the bright side, she heard the hurrying clatter of hoofsteps coming her way. The first face she saw was Twilight’s, eyes bloodshot and lines beneath like she had been pouring her eyes out and hadn’t slept in days.

“Trixie!” Comes Twilight’s muffled voice.

The numbed filly stared at her sister, only able to hear a few of the words being shouted her way. She heard her name being shouted again, wondering if it came from the same pony.

Trixie saw a white hoof near Twilight, calming pushing her sister back. She heard her name again, this time by a different voice that mentioned Twilight’s name as well.

Wherever she was, she hoped it had food. Right now she was starving, like she hadn’t eaten in a day. She dumbly lowered her head to see where Twilight had gone, watching as her familiar friend grabbed hold of Twilight. Trixie couldn’t remember more after that. Her consciousness was blinking again, and she drifted off.

|~|~|~|~|~|

“So let me guess,” Rarity questioned, “Those weren’t jelly beans you were eating?”

“Wish they were though,” Trixie innocently giggled. “I was feeling really hungry that night and had a strange craving for sweets. Turns out I was shoving down my Aunt’s sleeping medicine.”

Rarity stayed quiet for a bit, trying to hold back a goofy face. Restricting herself even more, Rarity held up a hoof to muffle laughter that tried to burst through. “So, you mistook your Aunt’s sleeping pills for jelly beans?” Rarity questioned, trying to keep a straight face.

“I-I’ll admit it... It wasn’t my best moment,” Trixie mumbled, trying to hide the embarrassing shade of red on her cheeks.

“N-no problems, darling,” Rarity reassured, stilling keeping her giggles in. “W-would you like some jelly beans?” She offered, taking a small plastic bag from one of her shopping bags out. “I can promise you won’t fall into a coma from these...” Rarity giggled.

“I would love one, thank you very much,” Trixie scoffed, snatching the bag.

“Don’t be too hard on yourself, Trixie,” Rarity reassured, finally controlling all her giggles. “We all have our faults during life, and it was quite mature of you to share such an embarrassing story with some pony you’ve never met before.”

“Thanks,” Trixie returned, gobbling a blue jelly bean.

“Oh and Trixie?” Rarity smiled.

“Yea?” Trixie asked, chewing the soft candy.

“Twilight is a really good sister to you,” Rarity admitted. “Taking full blame for everything, especially during the hospital, that’s quite brave of her.”

“I know,” Trixie grinned. “That’s just how she is.” Trixie raised her champagne glass as Rarity raised hers.

“So what happened exactly when you came to?” Rarity questioned after a small sip of her white wine.

“As usual Twi was crying her eyes out and Aunt Nightie was trying to calm her,” Trixie recalled. Trying to pour herself more wine, she found that the bottle was emptied quicker than she thought.

“And the whole Twilly thing?” Rarity asked intrigued. “Why does she hate the name so much?”

“Now that is a long story,” Trixie exclaimed. “But maybe for another time...”

Author's Note:

Vacation gotta get away~! Hey guys, I'm back again. Sorry if these updates seem random at times, but you know life. And just because I don't reply to comments doesn't mean I don't read them. With summer coming, updates should be more frequent, or as frequent as it can get. DerpyMuffins, signing off~ Au revoir.