• Published 8th Jan 2012
  • 3,109 Views, 360 Comments

Memories of Zephyr - Zephyr



Do you ever asked who Zephyr is? This is his story, find it out!

  • ...
6
 360
 3,109

Chapter 8

Author's note: 8th chapter is revisioned! Have fun reading!



"I can't believe, it's over! I finished the academy!" I shouted in happiness.

The two years of the academy was over, we made it as ones of the best, and immedietly got assigned into the real squadrons of the Royal Guards.

"Yeah! We all made it! Time to get drunk!" Yes, Will always wanted to say this.

"OhguysthisissosuperIcan'tbelievewedoneititwassofastandawesomeand-" Gemmy, as she used to, got high by the events. I made her stop, by poking her flank.

"Gemmy we know. And Will is right, I have some apple cider for this." I smiled at them mischeviously.

"Whohohoo, guy, I knew you will surprise me!"

"Apple cider? Really? I tried it once and I got WHOOOOO, and then everything slowed down, and..."

Will tilted his head and whispered to me. "She won't get from it, I hope?"

"....." I seriously thought about it. Getting her drunk was a funny idea, but... what if she brakes the rules of physics?Again?

"Zeph, tell me you are not... Oh nooo..."

I know what I want.


We slowly walked out from the building of the Academy, leaving it finally behind, forever. The evening sun was more beautiful than it's used to be, nothing could ruin our happiness now.

"I will see what happens, Will..." He facehoofs.

"And I know what will happen. Uhh.. I hope you have enough energy to stop her." He shaked his head in defeat.


We headed to our apartment, we bought it about 3 months ago: we have enough money by winning a lot of races and competitions.

As we arrive, a mailpony lands next to us. He asks me. "Uhm, are you Mr. Verve?"

"Yes I"m. Is there a mail for me?"

"Yes, and if I'm correct.. yeah, there is two other for your friends too!" He says as he pulls out three letters from his mailbag.

"Mail? For us? What happened?" Will's surprize is natural, except for the bills, we didn't got any mail.

"One way to get it know! Oh, thank you sir for the letters!" I say to the mailpony as I take the envelope from him.

"Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh!!!"

"What is it Gemmy?" I ask her, this reaction is unusual.

"Read it!"

I do as told.
It's the notification from our assignment.
Gemmy became a Heavy Supporting Specialist... her ability with lasers has payed off.

"Oh. Wow. Who thought? But mine is better." Says Will.

"Hm, what is it?" I ask him, raising an eyebrow.

"I became a Captain. I command several squads. Like yours."

"Wait what? My squad?"

"Check your letter!"

I opened it. And it's true. I got instantly promoted to Sergeant. And, Gemmy is in my squad.

"Wat."

"Ooooh, that look on your faaace!!!! Priceless, priceless!!! Gemmy, get me my camera!" Will almost couldn't hold back his laughter, and after Gemmy giving him his camera (from nowhere, how she do it?), he made a photo from me.

"I will put this on the wall. In extra size. And now excuse me, my lungs gonna explode if I don't laugh now."

He inhales deeply, then errupts in the strongest laughter I have ever heard from him.


So, that's how we got into active service as official Royal Guards.


Same day, in our apartment, around 10. Or 11. Whatever.



I just drank the fifth bottle of the cider, Will was at the seventh, but Gemmy... she drank fourteen. Fourteen.
I can't imagine how she did it, and she wasn't higher than she used to. Even she became more calm and clear headed.

"Uhmm... Gemmy... I... I wanted tho.... uhm, ask you som-thing." My speaking became faulty and slow, I can't handle alcohol.
She looked at me with a smile.

"What is it Zephy? Hmm?" Maybe because of the cider, but I saw her more beautiful then usual.

"I-I dunno how to ask you, so I will just spit it out."

She frowned, she had no idea about what was coming.

"So... nononono, maybe Ah shouldn't..."

"Oh come on Zeph, dude! *hick* I want to hear it too!" Will had bigger alcohol tolerance than me, but he got dizzy for now.

"Okayokayokay... Gemmy... I want to... I want to..." I whispered in her ears.
She looked at me. I made a hopeful smile. But her expression went sad, and she frowned yet again.

"No, Zephy. I.. we can't. That wouldn't be good."

I blinked at her, then looked down to the floor. She lowered her head and left the room, leaving me and the confused Will behind.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Will asked me in a friendly tone.

"Nho. Well, yeah..." I stopped and took a deep breath. "You know that Ah like her..."

"Yeah. Everypony know this."

"Thank you Captain Obvious. Wait, you ARE a captain! Hehe... so, I asked her if me and her... you know..."

He sighed and put a hoof on my shoulder. "Zeph. Bud. If a mare says no, don't ask her again. You just wasted your time and energy."

"..."


We never talked about this again.


Several months later.



That evening was exactly like the others. I entered duty at 7 pm, Captain Will told me where I need to patrol and I got my squad ready to took off at 8 pm.

"Evening Zeph, this time there will be a slightly change, I assigned Rendan to you and you will patrol at the Everfree tonight." Will changed a lot, he became more serious than ever. Looks like the duty really changes the stallion.

"Rendan? You mean that Rendan? With the mecha wings?"

"Yes, he will support you with scouting."

"Cool!"


20 minutes later the Squad was ready.
There was Gemmy, my best sharpshooter, Silver Blizzard, an unicorn stallion who cared about defense, Jagged Boulder, an earth pony stallion, he was the front soldier, and Honeydasher, the pegasi mare. She was the scout.
Oh, and now there was Rendan too, he helped her in scouting.

My job as the squad leader was to coordinate all of the moves.
After getting in the armor, we headed out to the patrolling area.


50 minutes later, near the edge of the Everfree.


"So, Rendan! I heard about you a thing or two!" I said friendly.

"Really?" Hm. Interesting pony. He had white coat, a red-white striped mane and tail and red eyes. Also, his wings were mechanical.

"Yeah, some ponies from my squad keeps telling 'things' from you."

"Let me guess, it's Honeydasher?"

"Yup! She almost idolize you."

"Heh, tell her that she can stop it, I'm a married stallion."

I shook my head and smirked. Suddenly our conversation was interrupted by a scream.

"Dasher?" I asked from noone, searching the source of the most likely mare scream.
Then I heard her scream again. All of us run to Honeydasher, but we were late.

At least 8 bandit attacked her. She had no chance.

"Squad, formation!" I ordered, coldly. We had to keep calm if we wanted to win this fight.
The bandits formed up too and after a few seconds they charged us. Jagged immedietly done what he is best at: he charged at them, shouting his battlecry, and tackled two bandits.

"Silver, protect him!"

"Yessir!"

He generated a force field around Jagged so he can't be harmed: the diversion was successfull.

"Gem! Now!" She levitated three crystals before her and shoot her magic trough them. The beams hit two bandits and killed one.
But the bandit's leader knew what to do: He ordered two of them to try and kill Silver so he can't protect Jagged.
When I saw they approaching, I shouted to Rendan.

"Rendan, Quick, help Silver Blizzard!"

He looked at me. I saw fear in his eyes. He followed my order, tackled one of the bandits and began to close-quarter combat with him.

"Gem, concentrated fire at the leader!"

"FIRING TEH LAZERS!" She shouted. I don't understand her, how could she act like this in mid battle?...

But her shooting was succesfull, she hit the leader. But nothing happened to him... shield magic.

"I need to take him out by myself... Gem, watch over the others! I kill the leader..."

And I attacked him. He was a jetblack unicorn in silver battle-armor. I was about to reach him, when he stopped me in my flight, with a force punch - unicorns...
I crashed in the dirtroad, creating a mini crater.


The battle raged around me, Jagged and Silver done their best job: Jagged succesfully attacked three bandits at the same time while Silver defended him with shield magics. Gemmy furiously shooted her beams at two other bandit: both unicorns. Her attack was almost useless. I wanted to see what Rendan does, but when I tried to look around I felt a sharp pain in my side.
It was the leader. He kicked me in the ribs.

"Get up you worm! And they call you the elite! Pfeh!" He spitted on the ground.

I got on all four.

"You can still give it up now. You don't have to die." I said, but this just made him angry.

"GRRRAAAAHH!!!!" He charged me with his horn. I dodged him in the last second and kicked his head. This made him dizzy for a few second, so I left him alone and flown to help my squad.

When I was on the ground, the fight went worse than I tought.
Silver was on lying on the ground, a slowly growing patch of blood was around him.

Without his help, Jagged couldn't handle the outnumbering and rapidly lost his fight. He fall to the ground right before my eyes and I couldn't do anything. I wasn't fast enough.

Gem fought them the most heroically. She shooted them without stop, but they got closer to her. Too close.

"Gem! Teleport away!" I shouted at her, still dashing to her.
I saw her face. Her expression was mixed. Fear. Sorrow. And anger. She looked back to the bandits. All of the remain 3 (expect the leader) attacked her.

She brought out her flawless diamond from a pocket in her armor and concetrated her power. Her eyes began glow in white as she gathered the pure energy in a beam. Then she shooted it.

She vaporized the bandits. Nothing remain from them. I just looked at her, mouth agape. She just smiled at me. Then, like from nowhere, the leader teleported next to her and pierced trough her armor with a magic blade.
The time stopped as I saw her gasping for her last breaths. She fell on her knees, then on the ground. Dead.

"What?..."

"And now you follow her!" The leader created a magic bow and arrow and shooted it at me.

I flown up, but the arrow hit me on my chest. I didn't felt pain. All I felt wass pure anger.
I charged him. He immediately created a force field, but I flown trough it, like it was nothing, and tackled him.
He fell on his side. I pinned him and began to punch his face, just like Jetster's long time ago.
And I would punched him to the death, but something happened.

I felt... a warm, but unpleasant sensation in my left side. I stopped punching him and looked down. He stabbed me with a magic dagger.
I felt the iron like taste of my blood.
The leader pushed me off of him and shook himself.

"That was an exciting fight, worm. I shall leave you alive. Or not." He coughed.

"We will... *cough* get you...*cough-cough* you can't hide foreverhhhnnnghh..." I said to him, slowly drifting off into the blackness of unconsciousness.

"Hah. Just try it." He said as he got up and turned away from me.


I saw him slowly trotting away into the Everfree before I blacked out.