• Published 17th Nov 2012
  • 8,158 Views, 95 Comments

Fluttermom - Alex12



Fluttershy and Macintosh just want a quiet life with their daughter. Guess how likely that is.

  • ...
20
 95
 8,158

Chapter 3

It was a few days after the Nightmare Moon incident, and Ponyville had more or less returned to normal. The library now had a full-time live-in librarian, Scootaloo and Applebloom were enjoying a somewhat greater level of popularity among their classmates for their role in the heroics, which almost balanced out being grounded, and some ponies had to work extra to make up for certain problems that the extended darkness had caused, but overall, everything seemed to have settled down with minimal fallout. For the most part.

Macintosh walked down the path, eyes peeled for a specific pony. Finally, he saw her, stretched out on a low branch. He coughed.

"Miss Dash? 'Scuse me, Miss Dash?" The polychromatic Pegasus looked up.

"Huh? Oh, hey, what's up, big guy?"

"Ah jest, well, Ah wanted ta ask ya a favor." The stallion pawed the ground nervously. "Ah mean, ya don't have'ta, an' Ah could pay ya for it, but, well, it's kinda..." He trailed off. Rainbow scowled.

"No. And I'm insulted that you thought I'd want to. I mean, Element of Loyalty." She turned and prepared to launch herself into the sky, as Macintosh tried to figure out what she was talking about. "And I think I'd better go tell Fluttershy what a scumbag you apparently are."

With a start, Macintosh understood.

"Nope, nothin' like that! Never!" He tried to inject some measure of just how unthinkable he considered the possibility into his voice. Apparently, it got through, as Rainbow landed and looked at him suspiciously.

"Alright, then what did you want?"

"Ah need ta learn how ta fight." Rainbow blinked, not expecting that response at all. Macintosh continued. "That manticore near killed me 'cause Ah didn't know how ta fight. Near killed mah family. An Ah got lucky Nightmare Moon wasn't payin' me any mind. Ah ain't dumb. Th' six of ya have those Elements, an' that means yer prob'ly gonna face more dangers. At th' party, Ah heard ya talkin' 'bout how ya had a black belt in some kinda Neighponnese fightin' style. Ah wanted ta learn."

Rainbow blinked again. She didn't know Macintosh very well, but she'd never heard him use that many words in one day, let alone one statement.

"Oh. Uh, sorry about the misunderstanding. And calling you a scumbag. I thought...never mind." The Pegasus scowled and muttered something about how it wouldn't have been the first time, before continuing in a more normal voice. "Anyway, I'd love to teach you, but, well, it won't work. It's a Pegasus style. You'd need to be able to fly." She looked apologetically at him. "I mean, I can help get ponies in shape and stuff, but," the Pegasus prodded Macintosh's muscular shoulder for emphasis, "you don't need that."

"Oh. Sorry ta bother ya, then." As the stallion made to leave, Rainbow perked up with a realization.

"Hey, wait, hang on! Maybe I can help you. I mean, I can't teach you karaudo-fu, but I maybe I can still give you some pointers. Come on! Let's go to the gym!"

Less than half an hour later, the pair was standing in front of the striking bag. Rainbow was wearing her workout gear, and a whistle for some reason, while Macintosh hadn't put anything on.

"Alright. Hit the bag as hard as you can. I wanna watch your form."

Macintosh struck. Whipping around like lightning, his front hooves thumped on the floor as his rear legs lashed out.

WHUMP!

With a burst of sand, the bag exploded under the force of the blow. Rainbow's jaw dropped.

***

"My Hero, by Sweetie Belle. My hero is my big sister, Rarity. She works very hard making dresses and clothing, but she is still always happy to spend time with me. Also, she was very brave when she went out to fight Nightmare Moon. She faced down a river serpent without being scared, and-"

"Hey, that's not how it happened!" Scootaloo interrupted the white unicorn's recital. Cheerilee looked sternly at the Pegasus.

"Scootaloo, we raise our hooves if we have something to say. Now, Sweetie Belle is reading her paper, and you should listen. There will be time for questions afterward."

"But-" Scootaloo cut herself off at the teacher's look. "Fine."

Later, after school had let out, Sweetie Belle ran to catch up with Scootaloo.

"What did you mean, that's not how it happened? Rarity told me she dealt with a big river serpent."

"Oh, the snake was all crying and stuff because his mustache got cut, and Rarity cut off her tail and did some kinda magic thing to make that into his mustache instead. It wasn't like she fought him or anything." Sweetie Belle slowly nodded as Scootaloo continued. "I mean, can you imagine her, of all ponies, fighting? She'd be all like," the filly put on a poor imitation of Rarity's voice, "'My stars, darling, I couldn't possibly do something as barbaric as fighting. It would just ruin my mane!'"

Sweetie chuckled, easily imagining her sister saying exactly that, before realizing something else.

"Wait. How could she have cut off her tail? It didn't look any different when she came home."

"It grew back after they used the Elements. I dunno why. Anyway, I gotta get home. If I'm not home in time, Mom'll freak out, and I'm already grounded."

"Okay. Bye, Scootaloo, see you in school tomorrow!"

***

The next day, Fluttershy headed into town to pick up her animal care supplies and file some paperwork. As she was making her way back, saddlebags bulging with medicines and dragging a small cart full of food, she found her path blocked by a pair of Unicorns, a baby dragon, and an over-excitable Earth Pony. They were all positioned in just such a way as to completely block anypony who might have wished to pass through.

"Listen, Rarity, Pinkie," Twilight's voice was apologetic, "I haven't decided yet who I'm going to give the extra ticket to."

"YOU HAVEN'T!?" Two voices asked in stereo, as both Rarity and Pinkie Pie leaned forward excitedly toward Twilight, who was slowly backing away from the pair. Fluttershy quietly interjected.

"Um, excuse me. Can I, um, may I just-" Rarity cut her off, a note of disbelief in her voice.

"You? You want to go to the Gala?"

"What? Oh, no, I just wanted to ask if I could get through here. If it's not too much trouble, I mean. I'm very sorry to interrupt. I mean, I don't even know what gala you're talking about, so..." The Pegasus trailed off.

"Darling, we're talking about THE Gala. Only the most sophisticated and elegant event of the year, the-" Pinkie interrupted Rarity's rhapsodizing with a squeal of excitement.

"The biggest party in Equestria! It's the Grand Galloping Gala! There's streamers and balloons and ice cream and all sorts of fun! Duh! Why wouldn't anypony want to go?"

"Ugh!" The exasperated sigh came from Twilight, who had been standing back and listening to the exchange. "Fluttershy, I'm very sorry, I know you want to go to the Gala, but like I just said, I haven't decided yet who I'm going to give the extra ticket to."

"Oh, no, Twilight. I'm not asking you to give me a ticket. I mean, I'd love to go- Canterlot Castle has the most wondrous private gardens, and the night of the Grand Galloping Gala is the only night that all the flowers are in bloom, but I couldn't possibly go." The Pegasus's voice was simultaneously wistful and apologetic.

"What do you mean? It sure sounds like you want to go."

"Oh, I do! I would love to go. But I couldn't, I just couldn't. If you gave me your spare ticket, Macintosh still wouldn't have one, and I'd just feel guilty."

"Oh, how romantic!" Rarity placed her hooves together and sighed, overwhelmed by emotion. Fluttershy continued, ignoring the fashion designer.

"No, Twilight, it's for the best. Give the ticket to somepony else. I'll just be on my way." The yellow Pegasus eased the wagon through as the other ponies obligingly moved aside for her, and headed back to the cottage, disappointment written in every line of her body.

Later that day, Fluttershy was finishing up some of the endless paperwork that was absolutely necessary for wildlife management. Just as she placed a stack of papers ("Five Year Analysis of Amphibian Reproductive Trends") into her Completed tray, there was a knock on the door.

"Just a moment!" The Pegasus hurriedly shuffled her desk into a semblance of order, then went to answer the door. "Yes? Oh, hello, Applejack!"

"Howdy, Fluttershy!" The orange Earth Pony grinned brightly at her sister-in-law. "Ah just wanted ta drop by an' see how you were doin'. Ah heard 'bout how ya don't want Twilight's Gala ticket 'cause ya couldn't take Mac with ya, an' Ah think that's mighty fine of ya. So Ah had an idea. If we could get some spare bits, Mac could maybe take a vacation, and the two of ya could enjoy yerselves a bit. Ah figure if we can convince Twilight to give me the ticket, then Ah could go ta the Gala an' sell real Sweet Apple Acres apples! That'd make us more'n enough money fer mah brother ta have some time off with his lovin' wife. So whaddya say?" This was all delivered in a single breath that would have made Pinkie Pie proud, accompanied by a proffered hoof.

Fluttershy spent a moment disentangling what Applejack had just said, and a further moment considering the offer.

"I don't know. I mean, Twilight seemed, um, awfully frustrated. I don't know if she would want anypony trying to convince her."

"Hm. Ya know, ya might be right. She was awful hungry when she yelled at us." The cowpony frowned in thought before perking up suddenly. "That's it! Ah'll bring her some fresh food an' won't mention Gala tickets at all! That's sure ta convince her ta help out! Thanks Fluttershy, that's a great idea!" The blonde-maned pony rushed off to implement the plan, leaving the deflating Pegasus standing in her doorway.

"But...that's not....Um. Oh dear."

*Bzzzzzzz*

Fluttershy's ears perked up at the familiar humming noise approaching.

"Hey mom!" Scootaloo appeared, buzzing up the path on her scooter. "I brought a friend over! You said I couldn't go out, but you didn't say anything about having other ponies here, and Miss Cheerilee has us doing a project, and so we figured we'd do it here!"

Sure enough, clinging tightly to Scootaloo's back, eyes tightly shut, was another filly, a white Unicorn with a two-toned purple mane.

"Is it safe yet?" This was from the other filly, as Scootaloo slowed to a stop just outside the cottage. The Pegasus filly rolled her eyes as she responded.

"It's fine, Sweetie Belle. We're here. We weren't even going all that fast." She turned her attention back to her mother, suddenly looking more apprehensive. "So is it okay?"

"Of course it's okay, honey. After all, it's for school. Now come on in and have a snack, and then you can get started."

A few hours later, Macintosh returned to the cottage. Shortly afterward, Sweetie Belle left so as to be home before nightfall. Dinner was eaten, the animals that needed it were put away for the night, and the family prepared for bed, despite the protestations of a certain filly.

"But mom! I'm not tired!" This was immediately contradicted when Scootaloo yawned hugely. Fluttershy simply fixed her daughter with a Look, a much less powerful variation of her infamous Stare. The orange Pegasus wilted under her mother's gaze, coupled with the fact that she really was exhausted. Within half an hour, the whole family was asleep.

***

Scootaloo thrashed helplessly against the alicorn's telekinetic grip. A sibilant voice hissed from a fanged mouth as a wickedly serrated horn came a hairsbreadth from the filly's neck.

"You should never have come along, little foal. All you are is a failure, and your failure is going to cost you your life."

A pair of slitted eyes, glowing green, pierced the Pegasus, and her struggles redoubled as she felt the magic holding her shifting, preparing to plunge her onto the dark goddess's horn. Just before the spike penetrated flesh, however, a wave of indigo light swept into view. The darkness, the sensation of telekinetic grip, and the coal-black alicorn faded away. In place of the nightmare, Scootaloo found herself floating in an indigo void.

"H-hello? Is anypony there?" The filly asked, unsure which possibility would be worse.

"Do not fear, little one." The voice started off as omnipresent, but quickly coalesced into a single source. At the same time, a pony seemed to fade into view- a regal blue alicorn with a mane like midnight. "I mean you no harm."

"Wh- Who are- Princess Luna?"

The mare nodded at Scootaloo's guess, before responding, her tone heavy with sorrow.

"I apologize for what my darker self did to thee. I cannot express my regret enough to have damaged thee and thine loved ones so."

The Pegasus shrugged, forcing a smile onto her face.

"It was no big deal. I'm fine. You-"

"Nay." The Princess shook her head firmly. "Thine nightmares these past nights show that thou art not fine. Thou hath the resilience of youth, true, but thou art not healed. Dost thou understand?"

Scootaloo wasn't sure how to respond to this. Since being threatened by Nightmare Moon, she had been having nightmares. As she was trying to figure out what to say, the Princess spoke up again.

"My power is but a fraction of what it once was, but I can, nay, I must help thee. For the fault of thine night terrors rests on my back, and thus, my duty is doubly clear." The alicorn's eyes blazed white, and her horn glowed indigo. When she spoke again, her voice carried an odd resonance, as if reality- or at least the dream-reality they were currently inhabiting- was echoing her words.

"Scootaloo Windfall Apple. As the guardian of the Realms of Dreaming, I bless thee. For e'ermore, thine dreams shall be joyous, and thou shalt be protected under my aegis within the Realms." The glow faded, and Luna's voice returned to a more normal tone, though now it was somewhat more weary.

"'Tis all I can grant thee for now, young Scootaloo, but know that thou art owed a debt that shall be paid."

As she spoke the last, the alicorn faded away once again. Scootaloo snuggled deeper into the covers, enjoying sound sleep and pleasant dreams for the first time in days.

***

The next morning, after Macintosh had left for Sweet Apple Acres and Scootaloo had headed off to school, Fluttershy was making her way around the front of the cottage. She was ensuring that all the animals in her care were well-fed and in good health when she saw a familiar purple pony walking up the path. Twilight perked up when she saw that her friend was up and about.

"Good morning, Fluttershy!"

"Oh, hello, Twilight." The soft-spoken Pegasus trotted over. "What brings you out here?"

"I actually wanted to give you these." A pair of golden tickets levitated over to Fluttershy as Twilight continued. "I realized that giving only one of my friends a ticket to the Gala would make everypony else unhappy, and would make it seem like I was favoring one of you girls over the others. I didn't want to disappoint anypony, so I sent the tickets back to Princess Celestia and explained the situation. She sent back tickets for all of us. Now you and Macintosh can both go!"

The yellow Pegasus gasped.

"Oh, Twilight, you didn't have to do that!"

"Fluttershy, you and Macintosh are my friends. You deserve these tickets." The Unicorn paused for a moment before continuing, slightly more sheepishly. "Besides, Princess Celestia was the one who sent them. I'm just the messenger."

***

A few hours later, Macintosh returned to the cottage, moving much more carefully than usual. Fluttershy, who could tell immediately if even a creature as small as a mouse was injured, had even less trouble when the injured creature was pony-sized, let alone one she knew as well as she did her husband.

"Oh my! You're hurt! What happened?!" Even as she was asking, the mare supported him as best she could and led him to a chair. Macintosh chuckled softly, wincing as he did.

"Ah underestimated AJ, that's what. This mornin' she bet me she couldn't harvest all th' Golden Delicious an' get 'em in the barn by lunch. Ah still say gettin' Twilight ta help was cheatin', but a bet's a bet. Th' loser had ta put on one of Granny's girdles an' walk down Saddle Street."

Fluttershy's eyes widened at the mental image this produced as Macintosh continued.

"Eeyup. Turns out Ah'm a mite too big ta fit. Didn't stop AJ from tryin' ta force it, though." The stallion winced in remembered pain. "She cracked a couple ribs. Ah'm stuck on light chores 'til Ah'm better. Shouldn't be more'n a few days."

While the stallion was talking, Fluttershy got to work. She retrieved the towel-wrapped bag of frozen peas from the ice box that she kept for just this sort of situation and placed them on the injured ribs.

"Now you just hold this there, and I'll brew up some nice hot chamomile tea for you. I hope-"

Whatever the yellow mare hoped for went unsaid as, with a thumping of hooves and buzzing of wings, Scootaloo bounded into the kitchen.

"Hey dad! Sorry I didn't hear you come home!" The filly went to hug her father before noticing the ice pack and slightly pained expression. "Are you alright?"

"Ah'll be fine. Nothin' serious. It ain't important. How was yer school today?"

"It was awesome!" Thus diverted, the orange Pegasus began talking enthusiastically about her day. "We're learning about the water cycle, and Miss Cheerilee got Rainbow Dash to come in and talk about the weather! And we had a group project, and..." Scootaloo continued happily describing her day.

Two bowls of tea and a large salad later, Macintosh went to bed, with Scootaloo and Fluttershy following shortly after.

The next morning, Macintosh attempted to get out of bed before being pushed back in.

"What-?" The stallion's question was cut off by a kiss. Once she was satisfied that her husband would let her speak, Fluttershy pulled away.

"You're hurt, dear, and you can't strain yourself, or you'll just make it worse. You're staying home today. I'll go and help Applejack."

"But Ah...but..." The stallion wilted at the expression on his wife's face. "Eeyup. Alright. Ah'll stay home. Yer right. Ah'd try ta do too much too soon."

"Of course you would. And I love you for that. But you need to heal. You just stay here and I'll bring you breakfast."

Two hours later, after Scootaloo had left for school and Fluttershy had headed over to Sweet Apple Acres, there was a loud crash as something solid slammed into the cottage door. Macintosh, who had been doing some light reading (A Comprehensive Guide to Solar Magnetohydrodynamics, by Princess Celestia) answered, and found Rainbow Dash picking herself up off the ground, rubbing her forehead.

"Ow. Buck me, what is that door even made of?"

"Reinforced oak."

The Pegasus jumped, not having noticed the door opening.

"Yah! Oh, it's you. What are you doing here, big guy?"

"...Ah live here."

"Oh, right." Rainbow Dash said sheepishly, only just noticing where she was, "Sorry about the crash. I wanted to practice some new tricks without anypony seeing, and, well, I kinda zigged when I should have zagged, clipped a cumulus, and, well..." She shrugged, as if the events leading from there to the current situation were self-evident.

"Eeyup. Are ya alright?"

"Only one way to find out!" With that, the brash Pegasus leapt into the air and executed a dizzying corkscrew, before zooming back toward Ponyville. Macintosh watched after her for a few minutes to make sure everything was okay before turning around and going back inside.

Half an hour later, a knock sounded at the door. The stallion once again put his book down, got up, and opened the door to see Rarity at the threshold.

"Oh, good day, Macintosh. Is Fluttershy in? I wanted to apologize for my boarish behavior yesterday."

"Nope."

The fashion designer waited a moment for further explanation, but none was forthcoming.

"I see. Then where is she?"

"Sweet Apple Acres."

***

"Good afternoon, Fluttershy!" The indigo-maned mare smiled brilliantly at the Pegasus. "I'm so glad I caught you. I wanted to apologize for my dreadful rudeness toward you yesterday. I was hoping I could make it up to you with a visit to the spa? I go every Tuesday, and it's ever so much more relaxing with somepony else."

Fluttershy swallowed nervously. She'd lived in Ponyville for almost a decade, but she still didn't know many ponies outside of the Apple family. For somepony to invite her to go somewhere was a novel experience, and Fluttershy didn't care much for novel experiences. The shy pony's first instinct was to refuse.

On the other hoof, this wasn't some random pony she'd just met. Rarity had helped save Equestria, just like Fluttershy herself had, she couldn't be a bad pony. Besides, a visit to the spa did sound nice. Before she could dither further, the Pegasus forced herself to answer cheerfully.

"Of course I'll come! Um…as soon as I finish here. I mean, um, I promised Applejack I’d help, since Macintosh is hurt, and we’re not done yet, and…" Fluttershy trailed off just as Applejack trotted up.

"Howdy, Rarity! Decide ta get yer hooves dirty fer once, or didja need somethin’?" The Earth pony smiled to indicate she was joking. Rarity explained the situation, and suggested that Applejack accompany her as well.

"Nah. Ah ain't really one fer all of that fru-fru stuff. Fluttershy, you go on- it's mah own fault Mac's laid up, no reason you gotta work harder for that."

"R-really?" Fluttershy looked at the orchards, stretching off into the distance, countless apple trees bearing fruit, "Are you sure you'll be alright?"

Applejack snorted. "Fluttershy, ya know Ah love ya like a sister, so don't take this the wrong way, but yer not really cut out fer apple-buckin'. Besides, Ah bet ya already put in a full day's work takin' care of all the critters, even before comin' here. Go ahead, Ah'll be fine."

"Oh, okay, um, if you say so." Fluttershy privately resolved to keep coming back to help her sister-in-law until Macintosh was back on his hooves. Applejack may have been insistent that she didn't need anypony's help, but that didn't apply to family.

Fifteen minutes of inconsequential small talk, primarily from Rarity, later, the Unicorn and the Pegasus entered the spa. Once they were ushered into the back and situated, Rarity turned to her companion.

"Now darling, I simply must know what you treat your mane with. It looks truly gorgeous." The fashion designer turned on a dazzling smile, an effect which was muted when one of the spa ponies slathered her with facial cream.

"Oh, um, I just use regular shampoo. I don't do anything special with it."

Fluttershy could have sworn she heard a record screech to a halt as her statement registered.

"You WHAT?!"

Author's Note:

I'll bet you thought this story was dead, didn't you? Well, IT LIVES!

It's just hibernating.
I didn't post on the SB forum the way I normally do because it's lagging something fierce for me.