• Published 17th Nov 2012
  • 8,170 Views, 95 Comments

Fluttermom - Alex12



Fluttershy and Macintosh just want a quiet life with their daughter. Guess how likely that is.

  • ...
20
 95
 8,170

Chapter 2

"Hey, mom! I'm home!" Scootaloo trotted inside, pausing to deposit the mail on the kitchen table.

"Oh, hi, honey! How was your day at school?"

Scootaloo grunted in disgust, dropping her saddlebags into the corner.

"Snips 'n Snails were being jerks again today. They think they're so cool just 'cause they've got their cutie marks already. Yeah, cutting manes. That's a real useful special talent," the orange Pegasus rolled her eyes. "Anyway, can I go watch the weather team practice? I heard Rainbow Dash has some cool new moves for cloud-wrangling."

"Well, did you finish your homework?"

"Aw, mom, it's really easy. I'll get it done this evening, I promise!"

"You know the rule, honey. No going out to play until your homework is done."

Scootaloo sighed dejectedly, picked up her saddlebags again, and headed to her room, pausing on the way to grab an apple from the fruit bowl. Fluttershy, meanwhile, made her way to the table and started going through the mail. Junk, junk, bill, junk, royal proclamation, junk...royal proclamation?

The mare flipped back until she saw the letter, unmistakably marked with the royal sunburst seal. Trembling, she opened it, a series of scenarios running through her head, each more terrifying and improbable than the last. Wildlife plague? Tax audit? Draft notification? Suspicion of treason?

To: Ponyville Wildlife Manager

From: The Royal Department of Public Relations, Event Management Division

This letter is to inform you that Her Royal Highness, Princess Celestia, will be visiting Ponyville for the 1000th annual Summer Sun Celebration. At these events, it is customary for the Regional Wildlife Manager to assemble a choir of local wildlife to sing the Royal Anthem. A fund of 250 bits has been earmarked for the assemblage and training of this chorus. Please be prepared to demonstrate this choir by the day before the summer solstice.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Sincerely

Red Carpet, Royal Event Manager

Fluttershy blinked, then reread the letter to make sure she hadn't misunderstood. This wasn't so bad. Three months to select and train some of the local birds to sing the royal anthem might have posed a problem for some ponies, but if there was one thing Fluttershy was confident in, it was her ability to work with animals. It wouldn't be easy, especially given her other duties, but it was doable.

That evening, Macintosh returned to the cottage after a long day's work with a smile on his face. That faded into a look of confusion when, as he opened the door, a flurry of feathered wings blew past him and into the evening sky.

"Oh, I'm so sorry about that, Macintosh. I was holding auditions, and I suppose we ran late, and then you must have startled them."

The stallion looked at his wife in puzzlement. By way of explanation, Fluttershy showed him the letter and smiled sheepishly.

"It was the birds. I thought I'd get an early start, but I didn't expect so many volunteers."

"Makes sense. Who wouldn't wanna help th' most gorgeous pony in Equestria out?"

Fluttershy blushed slightly at the compliment- even after all these years, she didn't feel she deserved them. Macintosh continued his train of thought, "An' that'd explain why th' Apple family reunion's gonna be here in Ponyville this year. Everypony wants ta get th' chance ta show off fer th' Princess."

Just then, Scootaloo walked in from her bedroom.

"Hey, Dad! I finished my homework, can I go watch the weather team practice? I'll be back by sundown."

"Well, Ah don' see why not, long as yer ma says it's okay an' yer back by dinner."

At Fluttershy's nod, the orange filly scampered out the door towards town. Fluttershy sighed.

"Somethin' wrong, love?"

"Oh, no, I just worry. I don't know if that Rainbow Dash is the best role model for her."

Macintosh smiled at that.

"Ah'm sure she'll be fahn. Ah bet it's jest a phase, ya know how foals are. Ah remember when Ah was that age, Ah wanted ta get offa th' farm an' never come back. An' even if it ain't a phase, well, we gotta let 'er find her own way."

Fluttershy smiled- they'd had this conversation multiple times before, but hearing Macintosh say it always comforted her.

***

It was the day before the Summer Sun Celebration, and the Apple clan reunion was in full swing. Over a dozen members of the extended family had made it to Sweet Apple Acres to trade news, recipes, seeds, and virtually everything else imaginable. Jonathan and Ginger Gold had left the previous week to help cousin Braeburn get the orchards in Appleloosa going, and several other ponies had been unable to make it for one reason or another, but that still left a crowd of Apples on the farm. It was this crowd that was making Fluttershy uncomfortable.

"I...I should really be with the birds. They're going to be singing at midnight, and I don't want to make the princess angry. I mean...they're doing very well, but I don't want anything to go wrong, and, and-"

"Come on, Mom! You've been training the birds every day for the past... however long it's been. They'll be fine! Besides, you're the one who's always telling me how important family is and how I gotta be nicer to Applebloom. This is the same thing."

Fluttershy blinked at that before smiling weakly.

"Alright, honey, you're right. I'll go. I do need to run through one last rehearsal with the birds, but that can wait until after lunch, I suppose."

***

"Now, why don't Ah introduce y'all ta the Apple Family!"

Fluttershy's eyes widened as she saw the strange unicorn. This must be the representative from Canterlot! As Applejack started rattling off names, she tried to slink away to assemble the birds.

"Big Macintosh an' Fluttershy, Applebloom, Scootaloo, aaaand: Granny Smith! Up 'n' at 'em, Granny Smith! We got guests!"

As the elderly mare made her way toward the visitor, Fluttershy gently nudged her husband.

"I should, um, I should go start making sure the birds are ready. For when she comes to check."

"If ya really think you'll need all that time. Ah'll come with ya. AJ kin keep an eye on Scootaloo."

The stallion made his way over to his sister and murmured into her ear for a moment before making his way back, pausing to snag a plate of Apple Fritter's apple fritters.

Later that day, Fluttershy was going through one final rehearsal, with Macintosh watching and listening appreciatively.

"A one, a two, a one two three-"

"Hello!"

"Eep!"

"Oh my. I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to startle your birds. I'm just here to check up on the music, and it's sounding beautiful."

"Oh, um, thank you. Um." Fluttershy landed in front of the purple unicorn and scuffed the ground nervously as she answered. Macintosh came over to put his foreleg over her shoulders as the visitor smiled awkwardly.

"I'm Twilight Sparkle. Didn't I... see you two at the farm?"

"Eeyup." There was an awkward pause as Twilight waited for more details, before realizing none were forthcoming.

"I'm sorry, I didn't catch your names before?"

"Ah'm Macintosh, an' this here's mah wife, Fluttershy." The Pegasus squeaked in agreement.

By this point, the avian choir had started to return to the tree they had abandoned.

"Well...um, it looks like your birds are back. So, um, keep up the good work!"

As Twilight made her way back toward town, Fluttershy noticed the unicorn's companion for the first time. She gasped and darted over.

"Is that a baby dragon? Oh my, I've never seen a baby dragon before! Oh, he's so cute! Um, he is a he, right?"

"Yeah, I'm a boy dragon. Sheesh. Some ponies." Hearing this, Fluttershy squealed in delight.

"Oh, he talks! I didn't know dragons could talk! You're the first dragon I've ever seen up close! You're not scary at all! What's your name?"

"I'm Spike." At this, Twilight cut in, levitating Spike onto her back and heading back toward town.

"Yes, well, Spike, we'd better be going. I'm sure Fluttershy has plenty of work to do, and we don't want to keep her from it."

"Oh, not at all! I made sure that everything was ready for the Summer Sun Celebration so everypony could enjoy all the cutesy-wootsey animals. So, Spike, what do talking dragons talk about?"

"Uh, what do you want to know?" At this, the lavender unicorn let out an exasperated sigh that went completely unnoticed by the other two ponies and the dragon.

By the time the quartet had reached the library, Spike had already given an in-depth lecture on draconic biology, as well as outlining his own life. Twilight finally managed to brush off the two ponies that had been hanging onto his every word by claiming that he needed his rest.

***

"That was amazing! I had no idea that dragons ate gemstones!"

"Eeyup!" Macintosh, while not as knowledgeable about wildlife as his wife, had still found the differences between dragons and more typical animals fascinating. The mood was broken, however, when Scootaloo came running up.

"Mom! Dad! There you guys are! I was looking everywhere for you! Can I stay up to see the Princess with you?"

The couple glanced at each other, communicating volumes without words.

"Ah don' see why not. Everypony else is. 'Long as ya behave th' rest of th' week. Ya promise?"

"Yeah, yeah, I promise! Thanks Dad! Oh, this is gonna be so cool!"

Scootaloo's excitement at being permitted to stay up all night to join in with the festivities didn't wane. The filly was almost bouncing up and down by the time everypony had assembled at the town hall, keeping herself in check only by telling herself that Rainbow Dash might see her if she started acting uncool. Not that her parents weren't uncool by themselves, but parents were different.

"Okay, honey, I need to direct the birds. You behave for your father now, alright?"

"Alright, mom. I'll be good."

Fluttershy flew off to the side balcony set up for the choir and began making her preparations, while Macintosh and Scootaloo found someplace to stand with a good view.

"Howdy, Macintosh! Howdy, Scootaloo! Mind if we stand here?" Applejack trotted up to her brother, Applebloom in tow. The stallion acknowledged his siblings with a nod.

"Nope, go 'head."

"Oh, boy, this is so excitin'! Ah mean, th' princess is gonna be here, an' there's all this food, an' there's gonna be games an' bobbin' fer apples an' oh, this is gonna be so much fun!"

Scootaloo sighed. Applebloom was technically her aunt, but nopony would never guess it from looking at them. She was about to say something in response when a spotlight snapped on, focusing on the lower balcony. Almost everypony shut up as Grey Mare stepped out from behind the curtains and began to speak.

"Fillies and gentlecolts, it is my great pleasure as mayor of Ponyville to announce the beginning of the Summer Sun Celebration! In just a few moments, our town will witness the magic of the sunrise, and celebrate this, the longest day of the year! And now, it is my great honor to introduce to you the ruler of our land, the pony who gives us the sun and the moon each and every day, the good, the wise, the bringer of Harmony to all of Equestria... "

The birds burst into song as the spotlight refocused on the upper balcony and the curtains opened to reveal...

"Princess Celestia!"

Nothing.

A wave of murmurs swept through the room as ponies were wondering what had happened. The pony that had opened the curtains trotted over to investigate.

"She's gone!"

Nearly everypony gasped in surprise, then again in shock as some sort of blue mist began to rise from the floor. The birds that had comprised the choir, demonstrating finely honed survival instincts, fled, and as the mist continued to flow upward, their conductor did as well, diving down to hide behind Macintosh's comforting bulk. Applebloom and Scootaloo were clinging to each other in fear, and Applejack had shifted into more defensive stance.

Suddenly, there was a flash of light, and the mist solidified into the form of a mare- an alicorn, black as obsidian, with a mane the color of the night sky, wearing archaic-looking armor. Her gaze swept regally across the assembled crowd as she spoke in a mocking tone.

"Oh, my beloved subjects. It's been so long since I've seen your precious, little sun-loving faces."It was at this point that Rainbow Dash cut in.

“What did you do with our Princess?!” The brash blue Pegasus charged toward the intruder, but was quickly enveloped in the dark blue glow of the alicorn’s telekinesis, halting her movement.

“Am I not royal enough for you? Don't you know who I am?” She flew up toward the trapped Pegasus, making eye contact briefly before continuing around the auditorium, leaning in toward those nearest her to emphasize her points. “Does my crown no longer count now that I have been imprisoned for a thousand years? Do you not recall the prophecy? Did you not see the signs?”

“I did. I know who you are. You’re the Mare in the Moon. Nightmare Moon.” This was from the lavender unicorn from Canterlot, stepping forward from the crowd to face the alicorn. Another wave of gasps rippled through the room at the revelation.

“Oh, somepony remembers me, excellent. Then you should also know why I have returned.”

“You’re here to…to…” Twilight cut herself off with a gulp, as if the very prospect of Nightmare Moon’s plan was too terrifying to verbalize, as the alicorn began laughing evilly in confirmation. This was enough for the pink Earth Pony standing next to her, whose babbling had up until this point been ignored, to come to the logical conclusion based on centuries of accumulated Nightmare Night stories.

“She’s gonna eat us! Everypony run!” Pinkie Pie then followed her own advice and fled, as did the majority of other ponies in the auditorium. Fluttershy only paused long enough to grab Scootaloo before fleeing, not stopping until they and Macintosh were locked safely in the cottage.

***

"Mom, I'm sure it's fine. If she were gonna eat us, why would she show up in front of everypony like that? Why wouldn't she just dig in when everypony was watching the stage? It's what I would do...I mean, uh..." Scootaloo could tell that her attempt at persuading her mother to come out from hiding under the bed was failing miserably. "Dad, come on, help me out here?"

"Eeyup." Macintosh knelt down and looked under the bed. "Come on, love. Ain't nopony gonna get in here. Ya don't have'ta hide."

Fluttershy shivered and squeaked in response. Macintosh thought for a moment.

"Well, alright then. If ya don' wanna come out, Ah guess Ah'll jest come in." The stallion stood, put a hoof beneath the bed and lifted. The weight of the bed was no match for his muscles, and tilted upward, exposing the yellow Pegasus. With this, Macintosh stepped forward and curled protectively around his wife, before lowering the bed over them both. As a hiding spot, it left something to be desired, since the legs of the bed weren't actually long enough to reach the floor with Macintosh's bulk underneath, and there was a clearly obvious bump betraying the presence of the two ponies. Scootaloo rolled her eyes and groaned. Just then, there was a knock on the door.

"Oh, she's coming for us. Scootaloo, hide!"

Instead of listening to her mother, the orange filly made her way to the door. Although she was almost certain that it wasn't Nightmare Moon, it was still best to check.

"Who is it?"

"It's me, Applejack! Now could ya open up?"

"Yeah, no problem." Turning, Scootaloo yelled toward her parents' bedroom. "It's just aunt Applejack! You guys can come out now!" Then she opened the door, to see not only Applejack, but also Applebloom and some other ponies standing behind them. Applejack spoke first.

"Howdy, squirt. Ah jest wanted ta drop Applebloom off here. Where's yer folks?" As Applejack was asking, Macintosh and Fluttershy made their way from the bedroom, looking sheepish. "Ah, there ya are."

It was at that moment that Scootaloo realized that her aunts weren't alone. Four other ponies were behind her- that Unicorn from the Palace, Pinkie Pie, another unicorn that she vaguely remembered seeing around town, and Rainbow Dash. Rainbow Dash!? Oh no, Rainbow Dash was going to see how uncool her parents were and then she'd never take her under her wing!

As this was running through the filly's mind, Applejack was talking to Macintosh and Fluttershy.

"Nah, turns out she's not plannin' on eatin' anypony. She wants ta make it night forever, but she ain't a cannibal." Fluttershy let out a sigh of relief upon hearing that, as Applejack continued. "O'course, that ain't much better, unless she's got some kinda magic ta make plants grow at night. Anyway, Twilight here figures she knows how ta stop 'er, an' we're gonna help 'er. But Ah can't jest leave Applebloom at the farm with jest Granny Smith ta keep an eye on 'er. Ah was hopin' Ah could drop her off with you two until we get this whole thing settled."

"Oh, certainly! You know we're always happy to look after Applebloom!"

"Thanks, Fluttershy. Hopefully we kin get this all sorted out quick an' be back ta normal before too long."

Just over an hour later, both fillies were set up in Scootaloo's room, put to bed by Fluttershy. This wasn't the first time Applebloom had stayed over, but it wasn't a common occurrence. The two of them knew each other, of course, but hadn't conversed much, the awkwardness of their relationship causing some discomfort. The fact that they both enjoyed needling each other about it only reinforced this. However, this did nothing to prevent whispered conversation from taking place.

"Scootaloo, what're ya doin'?" Applebloom asked.

"Nothing!" The Pegasus tried, and failed, to look innocent.

"Are you tryin' ta sneak out?"

"What? No, of course not! Why would I do that? I mean, Nightmare Moon is out there, right? It's dangerous out there." Scootaloo smiled weakly at this.

"Right." Applebloom's tone of voice left no doubt that she was unconvinced. "Then why were ya tryin' ta open the window?"

"Oh, I, uh, I just needed some fresh air, that's all."

Applebloom didn't say anything, but her expression made it clear what she was thinking.

"Oh, alright, fine. I wanted to watch Rainbow Dash kick Nightmare Moon's tail. I mean come on, how awesome will that fight be!?"

"Ya do know Nightmare Moon is an alicorn, right? Like Princess Celestia? Ya really think Rainbow Dash can take 'er on alone?"

"Of course not! That's why she's got the others with her. I bet that pony from Canterlot is some kind of super-wizard or secret agent or something, and Applejack is almost as strong as Dad, and who knows what Pinkie Pie can do."

Applebloom considered this reasoning for a moment before nodding.

"Ah guess that makes sense. But what if one of 'em sees ya an' gets distracted durin' the fight? Or what if one of 'em catches ya? We'll both be grounded fer weeks!"

"Oh, please, " Scootaloo snorted, "when have you ever heard of that happening? The young sidekick always tags along unknown to the heroes, and distracts the bad guy. That's how this works!"

"Ah dunno, Scootaloo. Ah don't think real life works like that."

"We'll be fine. Besides, I bet if we do help beat Nightmare Moon, we could get evil princess-stopping cutie marks! So come on, are you in? Or are you a wimp?"

"Well..." The Earth Pony hesitated for a moment before responding. "Alright, Ah'll help. But if we get caught, it was yer idea."

"Yeah, yeah, that's fine." Scootaloo casually waved the possibility aside. "Now, here's what we're gonna do..."

***

Fluttershy was worried. This was not an abnormal state for the timid Pegasus, but this time, her worry was justified. What if Applejack never came back? What if that scary alicorn killed her, or the group got lost in the Everfree Forest and killed by one of the many hazards there? What if Equestria really was plunged into eternal darkness, dooming everything to wither and die? Macintosh had done the best he could to soothe his wife, but it was clear that he was worried too, and for much the same reasons. The mare spoke up.

"I'm going to check on the fillies." Macintosh quirked an eye up at her, and she tried to explain. "They must be scared, with all this going on. I shouldn't have left them alone to begin with."

Macintosh nodded at this. He suspected that neither of the fillies was much worried about the situation, but he understood Fluttershy's fears. As she left the main bedroom, he sighed. How was he supposed to handle this? Normal, everyday problems he could manage, but this, something completely outside his ability to do anything about? Something that could destroy everything he loved, that he was powerless against? That terrified the stallion.

Fluttershy's scream instantly cut off his musings, and he was out of bed and running toward Scootaloo's room in an instant.

"They're gone! Oh, Macintosh, they're gone! Nightmare Moon must have eaten them! Oh, I should have been more careful. I should have stayed with them! Oh, I'm a terrible mother!" With that, she burst out crying.

Macintosh pulled her into a hug, patting her gently, as his eyes swept the bedroom. Scootaloo and Applebloom were indeed gone, the open window providing an obvious entry point for the villainous alicorn, but something didn't feel right. Before he could verbalize his misgivings, however, something small and black flew in through the window and started squeaking frantically. Fluttershy raised her head from her husband's chest to look at the bat.

"W-what was that?"

The bat repeated the chittering, making just as much sense to Macintosh as it had the first time, but by this point, he was used to his wife's strange ability to understand animals. Fluttershy broke into a weak smile.

"Really? Oh, thank you, Batholomew, I was so worried about them! Where did they go?"

More chittering, and Fluttershy's face fell.

"The Everfree Forest! Oh my goodness, oh my goodness, we have to find them! The Everfree Forest is dangerous, especially at night!"

Pausing only to write a note out in case the fillies returned before their caretakers, Fluttershy and Macintosh set off.

Twenty minutes later, the duo was deep within the forest when a scream split the air. Two voices responded in stereo.

"Applebloom!" Macintosh took off, galloping toward the source of the noise, with Fluttershy following at his hooves.

After what felt like an eternity, but was actually only a few minutes, the couple burst into a clearing and saw the fillies. They also saw the reason for the screams, as both Scootaloo and Applebloom were rushing back and forth, frantically evading the swipes of a manticore. Acting on instinct, Macintosh charged, spinning at the last instant to lash out with his hooves. Had the blow connected fully, the stallion's years of applebucking would have ended the battle right there. However, the manticore had noted the interlopers, and shifted to meet them, turning what would have been a solid hit into a glancing blow. The creature roared in anger and pain. The scorpion tail stabbed out, and Macintosh was forced to dive to the ground to narrowly avoid the wicked stinger.

While this was going on, Fluttershy had darted in and grabbed Scootaloo and Applebloom, pulling them out of harm's way.

"You two just stay here. I need to go stop this." An instant after the words left her mouth, more ponies entered the clearing, momentarily distracting the manticore.

"Hold on there, Applebloom! We're comin'!"

"It's alright, sis! Fluttershy is right here!"

"Ah gotcha. Mac! We got this!" With that, Applejack jumped up onto the manticore's back. "Yeehaw! Ya can't get me here!"

"Wait!" Fluttershy called out, but her quiet voice was drowned out by the sounds of the fight.

The beast snarled, roared, and reared, but the orange pony hung on. She was too close for the manticore to risk trying to stab her, and it wasn't flexible enough to reach her with its claws. However, such a state of affairs couldn't last. A mighty shake dislodged Applejack and sent her flying.

"Wait!" Fluttershy's second attempt, like the first, went unheard or unheeded.

A volley of pebbles surrounded by a blue telekinetic glow struck the beast, accompanied by Rarity's exultant cry. Before the manticore could collect itself, a rainbow streak blew past it, and started whirling around, beginning to form a cyclone. This was interrupted by a lucky swipe by the manticore's tail, slamming the Pegasus into the ground.

"Rainbow! Are you alright?" Twilight cried out.

"Ugh. Yeah, yeah. I'm fine." The Pegasus hauled herself up and turned to face the manticore. "Now come on, let's show this fleabag who's boss."

The five mares lowered their heads and charged at the beast. The charge was brought up short, however, when Macintosh stepped into their path.

"Nope."

Just then, Fluttershy's soft, soothing voice drifted past the stallion, and the rest of the group saw she was approaching the manticore.

"It's okay. It's alright. I'm not going to hurt you. I understand. This was all just a big misunderstanding, wasn't it? Just relax. I can't help you if I don't know what's wrong."

Clearly hesitant, the manticore offered his paw to the pink-maned Pegasus, showing a large thorn jammed into the sensitive tissue between the pads.

"Oh my, you poor little baby! I can see why you would be upset. Now, this might hurt for just a second."

With that, Fluttershy leaned in, grasped the thorn between her teeth, and pulled. The beast let out a tremendous roar, and Macintosh had halfway crossed the distance separating them before the manticore began licking his wife.

"Oh, you're just a big kitty, aren't you? Yes you are! Yes you are!"

Giving one more lick, the manticore bounded away into the forest, leaving the ponies alone. Twilight approached the Pegasus.

"That was amazing! You should come along with us- there are probably a lot more creatures living in this forest, and surely you could help us get past them."

"Oh, um, I'm very sorry, but we actually only came because the fillies snuck out into the forest. We're going to go back home where it's nice and safe." Just then, Scootaloo and Applebloom made their way over.

"Wow, mom! That was awesome! How did you know about the thorn?"

"I didn't. Sometimes, you just need a little kindness." Fluttershy paused for a moment before fixing her daughter with a stern look. "And why were you two out in the Everfree Forest at night?" Scootaloo looked down, shamefaced, scuffing the ground with a hoof.

"I just wanted to watch the fight. I mean, I thought maybe if we could help out or something, we could get our cutie marks."

"Yeah, an' it's not like it's safer inside, really. Ah mean, plants can't grow without sun, an' if it's nighttime forever, we'll all starve!" Overhearing the conversation, Applejack cut in.

"Ya may be right, Applebloom, but ya still ain't comin' with us. Go on back with Mac an' Fluttershy. We can't have ya distractin' us. The Everfree Forest is too dangerous for fillies ta go wanderin' in."

Macintosh walked up to stand beside Fluttershy. His breathing was still labored, and his left side was scraped up from the battle.

"Fluttershy, love, Ah ain't sure goin' back is the best idea. Ah'm beat up already, and Ah know how dangerous the Everfree Forest is, 'specially at night. How many o' the critters'll smell blood?"

"Oh my goodness! You're hurt!"

"It ain't bad, but Ah dunno if goin' back is safe." The stallion hung his head. "Ah already showed Ah can't protect us properly."

Fluttershy looked at the ponies surrounding her, from the despondent Macintosh to the hopeful Twilight, the excited Scootaloo, and the apprehensive Applejack. She leaned into her husband, as if for support, before replying in a very small voice.

"You're...you're right. We have to go on." The yellow Pegasus inhaled deeply, as if steeling herself, before looking at Twilight. "I mean, if that's okay with you."

"That's great! Thank you, Fluttershy!"

Macintosh put his head over his wife protectively, and murmured into her ear.

"Ah'm sorry, sweetie. Ah tried ta be the strong for ya, but Ah just wasn't good enough. Ah mean, who ever heard of the knight getting beaten, an' then the duchess saving him?"

"Don't say that, dear. You were very brave. I could never have faced him the way you did. I can't imagine what would have happened if you hadn't been there."

Scootaloo pretended to gag at the display of sap her parents were putting on, making Applebloom snicker, though both stopped at a stern look from Applejack. Rainbow Dash cut in.

"Yeah, yeah, alright. Are we just gonna hang around here all day, or are we gonna get moving?"

Not long after setting off again, the nine ponies entered a particularly dense patch of forest, with the foliage overhead so thick that even the dim light of the moon was blocked.

"Oh heavens! I can't see my hoof in front of my face!"

"Well, gee, Rarity, ya think that maybe ya ought ta keep yer hooves on the ground then, rather than in front of yer face?"

"It's a figure of speech, Applejack."

"Eeek!"

"Oh, sorry, mom. I thought you were further ahead of me."

"Argh! The castle could be right in front of our noses, and we'd never even see it!"

"Um, Miss Twilight? Ah know this is probably a silly question, but, uh, don'cha have some kinda light spell or somethin'?"

The smack of hoof striking forehead was clearly audible.

"Of course. Thank you, Applebloom."

With that, Twilight's horn lit up, bathing the area with violet light.

"AAAAAAHHHHHHH!"

The light went out, but now, the darkness was not complete. Monsters were now visible, ominous red lines showing shapes. Vicious-looking claws, angry-looking eyes, and mouths with entirely too many teeth were all in abundance. Acting on instinct, the group huddled together, as if mere numbers would stop the horrors. All but one member of the group, anyway.

"Hahahahahahaheeheehaha!" Pinkie Pie was standing in front of one of the apparitions, giggling happily and making silly faces. "Blagh! Worp! Heeheehaha!"

"Huh? Pinkie, what are you doing!? Run!"

"Oh, girls. And boy, I guess. Don't you see?"

Suddenly, the area seemed to become brighter, and music seemed to start playing, somehow bypassing the ears entirely and going directly into the brain.

"When I was a little filly and the sun was going down..."

"Tell me she's not..." Twilight's expression shifted from terrified to unamused in an instant as she tried to understand Pinkie Pie's antics.

"The darkness and the shadows, they would always make me frown..."

"She is." Rarity, as a lifelong resident of Ponyville, answered Twilight's question in a tone that could best be described as 'dull surprise.'

The rest of the ponies watched with varying degrees of surprise as the pink Earth pony danced and sang.

"Just laugh, and make them disappear! Ha! Ha! Ha!"

With a poof of smoke and magic, one of the menacing forms was revealed to be merely a tree. The other ponies all gasped as they realized what had happened. As Pinkie continued to sing, the rest joined in the laughter.

By the end of the song and the dismissal of the illusionary monsters, all nine ponies were rolling on the ground, laughing happily. The joyful mood persisted even as the party pulled themselves together and continued on their way.

An hour later, after having encountered and pacified an unhappy river serpent, the group reached their destination. The ruins of an ancient palace loomed in the darkness, backlit perfectly by the full moon. Unfortunately, a large chasm separated the party from the remnants of the castle. At some point in the past, there had been a rope bridge spanning the crevasse, but now it dangled uselessly from the anchor posts. Twilight smiled.

"There it is, the ruin that holds the Elements of Harmony. We're almost there. We just need to find some way to cross this gap."

"Hah! No problem!" Rainbow Dash fluttered her wings, then leapt off the edge and into the chasm. Grasping the end of the rope in her mouth, the cerulean Pegasus flew across. Just as she landed on the other side, a thick bank of fog rolled in, obscuring vision and blocking sound.

"Huh. Is it normal for fog to move that fast in the Everfree Forest?"

Nopony knew the answer to Twilight's question.

"Well, I guess we'll just have to wait. I hope Rainbow doesn't take too long finding something to tie the bridge to."

"Relax, sugarcube. Rainbow may not act like it, but she'll get the job done. Ever since she's been the weather manager fer Ponyville, all the weather's been dead on time. Ah mean, yeah, Winter Wrap-Up always takes too long, but that ain't her fault."

"Besides, this is Rainbow Dash we're talking about! She'll be back before you know it! I mean, she is the best flier in Ponyville. A little fog won't be a problem for her."

"Alright, I believe you." Twilight said, chuckling at the naked hero-worship in Scootaloo's voice. "So, I suppose we just have to wait."

A few minutes later, the fog dispersed, and Rainbow returned, flying triumphantly over the now-fixed bridge.

"See! I told you it'd be no sweat." She fell back into her previous place, flying alongside the group as they walked single-file across the bridge. "I mean, yeah, some weird ponies tried to get me to stop, but I think they were crazy or something. I mean, they thought they were better than the Wonderbolts! And then they wanted me to be their captain. Hah! No thanks! And they wanted me to choose between you and them! As if I'd ever abandon my friends to help a bunch of crazy ponies who think they're hot stuff!"

Twilight stopped in her tracks.

"Hold on, Rainbow. You mean there were other ponies here?"

"Uh, yeah. That's what I just said. They called themselves the Shadowbolts."

Twilight started walking again, somewhat faster now as she neared the end of the bridge.

"And they just left when you told them no?"

"I... guess. I wasn't really paying attention."

"Of course." Twilight's tone was resigned. "Everypony, keep an eye open! Those ponies might still be around, and they might try something. We can't afford to fail, especially since we're this close."

A chorus of assent rose from the rest of the ponies.

A few minutes later, the group had finished crossing the bridge and entered the ruins of the ancient castle. Almost immediately, they found what they were looking for. A pedestal with five arms radiating out from the center, stone spheres resting on each of the arms. While they looked ordinary, the stones radiated an aura of power, somehow tempered by benevolence.

"The Elements! There they are! Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, could you bring those here?"

"But there's only five!" Pinkie Pie piped up. "Where's the sixth?"

"Well, the book said 'when the five are present, a spark will cause the sixth Element to be revealed.' I'm not sure what that means, but I have an idea. Stand back. I'm going to try something."

The lavender unicorn closed her eyes and began to focus as the rest of the group backed away. Applejack gestured them out of the chamber as Twilight's horn began to glow.

"Alright, come on, y'all. She needs ta concentrate."

"Yeah! We gotta make sure none of those Shadowbolts come and try to mess her up!" Scootaloo exclaimed. "I bet they're, like, working with Nightmare Moon or something!"

Unnoticed in the darkness, a blue-tinted mist flowed into the room past the ponies and enveloped the Elements, engulfing them in a miniature cyclone. Twilight opened her eyes and yelped in surprise.

"The Elements!"

Reacting quickly, she leapt into the whirlwind just before it collapsed into nothing, taking her and the Elements with it. The remainder of the group reached the spot just a moment too late to do anything about it. Consternation erupted.

"Oh no, what do we do, what do we do?" Fluttershy was just beginning to get worked into a panic when Applejack's firm voice cut through the din.

"Alright, alright, everypony, calm down. Panickin' never helped anypony."

"Look!" All eyes turned to Rarity, who was pointing out the window at one of the castle's towers. Brilliant lights were clearly visible.

"Well what are we waiting for? Let's go!" Rainbow Dash took off, with the rest quickly following.

Just over a minute later, the ponies entered the ruins of the tower to see something none of them expected. Instead of a magical battle, or the aftermath of one, Twilight was talking to Nightmare Moon.

"The spirits of the Elements are right here!"

"Where? Ah don't-mmph!" Scootaloo covered Applebloom's mouth before she could ruin the dramatic moment. Twilight continued talking, describing how Applejack, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, and Rarity each embodied a specific element. As she did so, the shards of stone that were lying at Nightmare Moon's feet rose up and surrounded the pony she was describing.

"You still don't have the sixth Element!" A note of fear crept into the alicorn's voice. "The spark didn't work!"

"Oh, but it did. A different kind of spark." Twilight turned around to address the rest of the ponies. "I felt it the moment I realized how happy I was to hear you! To see you." The unicorn's voice took on a softer tone.

"Really? That's what she's going for?" Scootaloo whispered to Applebloom. "We get it. She's the last Element, no need to get all emotional about it." The other filly chuckled. Twilight continued talking, oblivious.

"It creates the sixth Element. The Element of...Magic." As Twilight said this, the glow from the shards redoubled. A brilliant light filled the room, and when it cleared, she was wearing a golden tiara. The other mares were similarly wearing necklaces, each marked with their Cutie Marks.

"Clever. Very clever, little mare, but you've forgotten something." A blue telekinetic glow enveloped Scootaloo and dragged her to the alicorn. "A confrontation like this is no place for a little foal!"

Everypony else gasped.

"That's right. You may have your precious Elements of Harmony, but you don't dare use them!"

"Argh! Let me go, you big bully!" Scootaloo flailed ineffectually against Nightmare Moon's magical grip.

"And give up a hostage? Now why would I do that?" An evil smirk crossed the dark goddess's face as she turned her attention to the six mares opposing her. "After all-"

"You think I'm a hostage? Fine." Scootaloo set her jaw in what she imagined was a firm and tough expression as she looked over at her mother. "Zap her anyway! It's a good magic doohickey! It probably won't hurt me much!"

The alicorn's face twisted in fury for a moment, before regaining the evil grin. "That's not what I was referring to. I simply meant that if I detected any buildup of power, any signs of the Elements activating, I would break your neck."

Scootaloo gulped. Suddenly, imitating Hairy Trotter didn't seem like such a good idea.

Macintosh reacted on instinct. Nightmare Moon was ignoring him completely in favor of gloating over her victory to the mares. He charged the goddess, spun at the last possible moment, and lashed out as hard as he could with his hind legs.

The alicorn broke off mid-gloat with a grunt of pain as the blow connected. Had she been mortal, bones would have been broken. She was still sent reeling momentarily, her focus disrupted completely. The glow around Scootaloo faded, and the filly dropped to the ground and scampered off, pride bruised, but otherwise uninjured.

"Oh, the stallion rushes to help. How touching." Nightmare Moon picked herself up, sheer menace filling her voice. "Futile, but touching. You may be strong, but you can't possibly hope to defeat me."

The stallion glared at her, then made an expression that might be called a smirk. "Don' need ta." He jerked his head toward Twilight and the others. The alicorn glanced over just in time to see an arc of multicolored energy surge toward her. Now that Scootaloo was out of the way, the Elements were free to work.

"What? No! NOOOO!"

Polychromatic light enveloped her, and all nine observers felt a profound sense of peace overtake them. A brilliant flash engulfed the room, blinding but somehow not painful. Then, just as quickly as it started, the light show stopped. Macintosh's heart almost did the same when he saw what had happened. All six bearers of the Elements of Harmony were splayed on the ground, eyes closed. A corner of his mind noted that they were wearing necklaces, but his primary concern was for his wife.

"Fluttershy! Are ya alright?"

"Oh. Ohh. Oh. Macintosh." The Pegasus shook her head as she got up. "I...yes. I'm alright."

Similar statements were coming from the rest of the group as they got up.

"Wow! That was awesome! I'm sorry I ever thought you guys weren't cool!" Scootaloo was practically vibrating from excitement. Before she could continue, however, a shifting of light caught everypony's attention. The sun was visible through the window, rising to announce the start of the new day. Of more interest to the ponies, however, was the ball of light that entered the chamber and resolved into the figure of Princess Celestia. Everypony knelt, except Twilight, who ran up to the Princess in delight.

"Twilight Sparkle, my faithful student." The Princess’s voice was warm, like sunlight on a warm spring day. "I knew you could do it."

"But…but you told me it was all an old pony tale."

"I told you that you needed to make some friends, nothing more. I saw the signs of Nightmare Moon's return. I knew it was you who had the magic inside to defeat her, but you could not unleash it until you let true friendship into your heart. Now…" The Princess looked mournful for a moment, before turning. It was only then that the group noticed there was another pony in the room, who was just now beginning to stir as Celestia approached "If only another will as well. Princess Luna!"

The blue pony looked up and, upon seeing who was addressing her, gasped.

"It has been far too long since I have seen you like this. Time to put our differences behind us. We were meant to rule together, little sister."

"What?!" All eyes locked onto the Pegasus filly. "She overthrew you! She was going to kill off everything! She threatened to kill me! And you're just, just making her a Princess?!" Scootaloo suddenly remembered who she was talking to, and shrank down, blushing. "I…uh, I just meant that, uh, it seems…kinda sudden! Yeah, that's all!" Before anypony else could respond, however, Luna herself spoke up.

"You speak the truth, young one. We were...not ourselves at the time. We humbly apologize."

"My sister was not in control of herself these past thousand years. An evil force had taken control of her body and mind. Only the full power of the Elements of Harmony, wielded by six appropriate ponies, could dispel it."

Thus mollified, Scootaloo quieted down.

A couple of hours later, the festivities in Ponyville were in full swing. Princesses Celestia and Luna had departed for Canterlot, Twilight had decided to stay in Ponyville with her new friends, and all was right with Equestria.

"But I helped save the world! If we hadn't gone, there'd be no Element of Kindness, and it would still be nighttime! Shouldn't I be allowed to join the party?"

"Oh, alright, pumpkin." Fluttershy sighed. "You can go to the party today. But starting tomorrow, you're grounded. Your father and I were worried sick!"

"Eeyup."

"Oh, fine. I'm sorry I snuck out into the Everfree Forest."

The family smiled at each other, before heading out to enjoy the celebration.

Author's Note:

Sorry about my slow pace of updates, everyone. I'm trying to get faster and better, but between school, work, and having a life, it can be tough sometimes.
All comments, criticisms, suggestions, observations, declarations of undying love, death threats, or any other input you can give me is greatly appreciated.