• Published 18th Nov 2012
  • 12,913 Views, 616 Comments

What Choice Do I Have? - chaos2012



Twilight is destined to be the one to destroy Equestria, and she will do anything to stop herself

  • ...
54
 616
 12,913

The Darkness Inside

Rainbow Dash stared at the table in Sugar Cube corner she sat at as she contemplated everything going on inside her head; Twilight had gone to Canterlot to talk with the Princess, and it just so happened that Pinkie Pie had a doozy that had something to do with Canterlot. 'It can't be Twilight, can it?' She said to herself.

Looking up, she looked back and forth between all her friends that came as soon as they could when they heard a about the doozy, which had ended nearly half an hour ago and hadn't reappeared yet. "Well, what do you all think it could be?" She asked.

"Do you think something bad has happened to Twilight!?" Spike nervously shouted. "What if she is in trouble?"

"It could be anythin' sugarcube, We shouldn't jump to any conclusions yet." Applejack chimed in as she trotted over to the excited dragon, "Y'all shouldn't start makin' yerself freaked out before ya know what it is."

"But what if something is wrong with Twilight? We aren't there to help her!"

"Spike, now don't worry about Twilight. If something is supposed to happen in Canterlot, I'm sure the princess can handle it."Rarity said with a smile.

Spike however didn't take her advice. "I can't stop worrying about it. It has to be something with Twilight just like the last time this happened."

Rainbow tilted her head in confusion. "Wait, what do you mean like last time?"

"The doozy." Spike glanced around to all the confused looks. "Don't you realize something? The only other time that Pinkie had a doozy shake it was because it was with Twilight. Now that there is another one, what else could it be?"

"Oh Spike, it could be anything!" Pinkie exclaimed."my pinkie sense is not set on one thing remember? It is never made for one thing. If something is going to fall, my tail can't tell what is going to fall, silly!"

Spike grunted, "But you have had that happen to many things. Your doozy happened once and it had something to do with Twilight. Now that it happens again, it just so happens to be in an area where Twilight is. That has to mean something right there."

Rubbing her chin, Rainbow sat quiet for a moment as she thought about that statement. "That is a good point. Maybe there is something going to happen with her."

"Um... What can we do about it then?" Fluttershy whispered.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, unless we were there, we wouldn't know what the problem was."

Rainbow's eyes shot open with excitement at hearing those words."Hey, that's it!"

Applejack lifted an eyebrow at the now happy Pegasus. "Uh, what's it?"

"We should all go to Canterlot and make sure Twilight is alright."

Liking the sound of that idea, Spike cast a large smile, "I agree with Rainbow, let's go right now!"

"Wait, y'all wanna just rush over there right now? It's gonna be night in a few." Applejack stated.

"Why not? If there is a doozy like Pinkie felt and it is where Twilight is, I want to go and make sure that she is fine." Spike got down from the chair he was in and stood up to face all the girls. "Anyone else want to go?"

"I'm going." Rainbow said as she got up as well.

"Now darling, maybe we shouldn't just rush over there right now..." Rarity interjected, "If Twilight wanted to be alone with the princess, perhaps we shouldn't go barging in on them even if we felt something might be a little off."

"I don't care if she said she wanted to be alone, I am going to go and make sure myself." Rainbow demanded. "I didn't check on Twilight before when she wasn't feeling good, so I am going tonight whether you all do or not."

Spike cast an even bigger grin at seeing the change in Rainbow Dash from earlier. Now he could see why she was the element of loyalty; she was determined to go and stick by her friends even in times where it seemed one should stay away. "You won't be going alone Rainbow, I'll be coming too and-

BURP!

The sudden belch from the small dragon expelled a patch of green fire, quickly turning into a small scroll as it floated down to the ground. "Huh?" All the girls said in unison.

Spike knelt down and picked up the paper that appeared from his mouth and unraveled it. His eyes quickly scanned the letter as a perplexed looks spread across his face. "It looks like we are all going to Canterlot. Now."

---

Luna sat with a frown across her muzzle as she watched her sister receive a response letter back from Spike on her request for them to rush to Canterlot immediately. "It seems they are on their way as we speak." Celestia said.

"Tia, you know this is insane what you are asking me to do, right?" Luna grimaced, "The chance of this working is nearly impossible."

"Please Luna, I need you to do this..." Celestia pleaded, "it could be the only way to save her."

"You are asking me to go into her subconscious mind and try to suppress the dark magic inside of her body. Then, once I have done that, you want the element bearers to voluntarily use the elements of harmony on Twilight, correct?"

"Yes, that is exactly what I am asking of you to do."

Luna chuckled at the logic of the plan. "Celestia, do you even realize how rediculous this sounds? First, the bearers would never choose to use the elements on their own friend. Secondly, how do you expect me to just go into her mind and suppress the darkness? That cannot simply be forced."

"Luna, please..." Celestia begged as she trotted up to her sister, "The power is supposed to be inside of a section of her mind that cannot be accessed by normal means. You can go inside her mind and use your magic to try and-

"And what, fight it inside her brain!?" Luna snapped, "You really don't understand the complexity of the subconscious, do you? I cannot simply go in and destroy the magic that sits inside of her. For her to to take control of her own self, she must overcome that by herself. I cannot forcibly manipulate parts of the mind for any reason, because my power is to guide, not control."

Looking to her right, Celestia gazed into the cage where her student lay asleep in chains. Her heart ached in pain at having this situation ever happen to her. She felt helpless and weak that she couldn't do anything. "There has to be something you can do. She must be in complete control for her to use her own element as the others prepare-

"Then why don't you wake Twilight up and reason with her?" Luna sneered, "I'm sure she would listen to you and allow herself to be tested on."

Celestia clenched her eyes and turned away. "She wouldn't want to listen to me after what I tried to do to her. That is why I need your help, Luna."

"Why is it that you need to do this? Why can't you just do what is necessary right now when we have the chance?"

"We can't do that Luna. We don't know if the prophecy will just stop if we kill her. It could very well just happen again if we don't stop it now with the elements."

Luna lifted an eyebrow at her sister, "Is that the only reason you won't have her killed? Or are you just too close to her that you can't do what you should?"

Celestia opened her mouth to speak, but she held her tongue and turned away as she realized to herself that her sister was right; she loved Twilight too much to do what she should have earlier that evening. No matter how much she wanted to protect her world however , her heart was being torn in two different directions on what she could do to not only save her world, but to save the pony she had become so close to.

"I'll do it."

Celestia jerked her head back at hearing her sister say those words. "What?"

Luna tepirted herself past the iron bars of the cell door and reappeared standing over Twilight. "I will try this plan that you have. Perhaps if I could help her in suppressing the power inside, then perhaps there is a chance that it could be successful."

A single tear of joy fell from Celesitia's eye seeing this. "Thank you Luna."

Luna however did not smile back as she lowered her head, touching her horn to the unconscious unicorns forehead. "Do not thank me yet, Tia. If I cannot get her to accept my help, then I will finish what you started."

Celestia gasped, realizing Luna's true intention. "Wait, no!"

Her plead went ignored as a bright blue flash was emmited from the tip of Luna's horn and enveloped the two inside the cell.

---

Passing through her field of magic, Luna found herself passing into the subconscious barrier of ones mind. To her shock, she fell into a swirling mass of pink and purple energy, large charges of electricity and static shooting in all directions inside. As she dropped into the pathway, she immediately felt herself being resisted by the energy. 'What is this strange force?' Luna grunted to herself.

With normal passages, she easily travelled into a mind with no trouble at all. Even just through telepathy from the castle, the transition was usually smooth, even relaxing for her to do as she entered the dreams that all ponies experience when they are asleep. The usual barrier around the mind was almost as if she was swimming through a stream of flowing blue aura, the passage way so simple for her to enter it was no trouble whatsoever.

This however, was unlike anything she had felt before. Even with her horn physically touching Twilight, which increases the strength of her magic, the strong force being exerted from the energy was nearly pushing Luna out and away from the interior of the mind. The princess of the night had to physically force her way through the mess, but the electricity that filled the entire path was striking her with unbelievable force and almost caused her to lose focus and leave altogether.

Feeling this magic, Luna understood why she couldn't sense whatever nightmares Twilight claimed to have had in the past; the level of energy inside of her mind was blocking anything from passing in or out. "I have never felt this much resistance before..." Luna said as she used her own magic to slowly push the incoming mix out of her way, "Perhaps it is already too late for her."

The next moment, Luna burst through the final wall of magic that stood in her way and finally entered the subconscious area of the mind. Taking in several deep breaths, she allowed herself a moments rest after that troubling ordeal she went through. When she opened her eyes to see what was going on inside of Twilight, she felt confusion. "What?"

All in front of her was blackness as far as she could see. There was no form of light at all, yet the princess could still see her own hooves below her. "What is this place?" She said to herself as she scanned for anything.

The dream state of ponies was supposed to always have scenarios or memories playing out in very detailed visuals for the mind to be stimulated while resting. This here was a seemingly endless void of nothing. It was unlike any subconscious she had entered in her life. "Is this how it has always been for her? Or his her magic blocking me out altogether from seeing her dreams?"

The sudden sound of heavy breathing sent the princess into a defensive feeling. Flipping around, she prepared to see something horrid rushing her through the darkness, but instead saw a purple form curled up into a ball several feet away. Curious, she slowly trotted over to it until she stood over it. Being so close, she saw the horn protruding through the messy purple and pink mane hanging down, the young mares face hidden in her hooves.

Luna could however hear the sniffling coming from Twilight as she lay in a fetal position below her. Confused, she reached a hoof out and poked the crying form. "Twilight?"

The moment the glass shoe touched fur, Twilight screamed out as she jumped up. Luna yelped and fell back a few steps before catching herself, locking eyes with the purple unicorns own. The magenta eyes of Twilight were filled with tears, dripping down her cheeks as she stared up at the blue alicorn before her. "P-princess?"

Luna went to respond, but was caught off guard as she felt Twilight leap forward and latch onto her chest. "Twilight, what are you-

"Princess, please help me!" Twilight cried out, "I can't make it stop."

Luna stared down in shock, "what? Can't stop what?"

"I can't make the voice go away! I don't want to hurt anypony!" Twilight buried her face into Luna's neck as she cried. "Please, tell me what I can do."

"You, don't understand the dreams that are happening to you?"

I... I see myself as a monster as I burn everything in my way. I hurt ponies for no reason. I keep hearing a voice talking to me, telling me that I will be the one to destroy Equestria and that it was my destiny. Please help me! I don't want to do that!"

Despite still having the urge to end everything right then, Luna had a horrible wave of pity and sorrow pour over her as she felt Twilight cry into her fur. Her mind was now at war with itself in just this small time coming into Twilight; one half wanted to push forward and simply end the prophecy that was before her and prove she was not weak at heart. The other half, though, was in pain at seeing this unicorn terrified of everything that was happening to her. 'She really doesn't know what is happening to her.'

Luna then thought back to when she arrived in Ponyville that nightmare night festival after she returned from the moon. Of all the ponies that feared and rejected her, Twilight was the only one that looked past what she was and went on to help her win the hearts of the fellow citizens of the town. Seeing how that Twilight was willing to do that for her, then she should try and help her in return.

Wrapping one of her forelegs around, Luna pulled Twilight closer to herself. "Don't worry, I'm here to help you Twilight. It will all be alright."

"I don't know what is happening to me. I feel like I can't control myself anymore." Twilight leaned back and wiped away the tears from her eyes. "It is hard to tell what is a dream and what is real anymore."

"Your mind is at war with itself, Twilight. You must overcome the darkness inside of yourself if you are to ever take control of your emotions and fight the thoughts that are coursing through you."

Twilight sniffled and looked down in sorrow. "Princess Celestia hates me for what I am. She... She tried to kill me. And-

Twilight suddenly froze and looked up to Luna in terror. She stared for what seemed like minutes before her eyes narrowed into a cold glare. "You..."

Luna sat back in confusion at the sudden change in Twilight. "Me? What are- oomph!" She gasped as Twilight kicked her stomach as she for Ed her way away from the princess.

You tried to kill me too, didn't you!?" Twilight screamed in anger, "I remember now, you came in that room and shot me as well. You are just like her!"

Watching int terror, Luna stood up and watched as a dark red aura began growing out from The now enraged unicorn. "listen to me Twilight, I wasn't trying to-

"That's what you are here for right now, isn't it? You are here to kill me!" Twilight's horn suddenly became enshrouded in bright flames, "I won't let you do that to me!"

A massive wall of flames blasted out from Twilight's horn so fast that Luna had no time to defend herself. The fire struck the princess with so much force, in just a fraction of a second, she felt herself launched outward, passing back through the thick barrier of the mind before being physically shot across the prison cell she was inside and slamming into the side wall.

"Luna!" Celestia screamed as she watched her sister slump to the ground. Quickly teleporting inside, she dropped Down and knelt by Luna's side. "Are you alright?"

Crawling off the ground, Luna shook her head to clear her head. "She forced me out of her subconscious. Nopony should be able to do that."

Both alicorns looked over to the still unconscious form of Twilight in the cell. From the unicorns body, a wave of red magic erupted outwards, nearly engulfing both sisters before they teleported outside of the iron bars. From the other side, they used their wings to shield their faces from the incomprehensible heat radiating out from the cage. Luna winced as she felt her feathers singe at the tips, several of them burning up in quick flashes.

After several intense seconds, the swirling mass of red aura suddenly dissipated inside of the cage, leaving behind the now bleach white unicorn on the ground. Both the mane and tail were completely engulfed in fire that danced up in the air. To the princesses horror, the chains wrapped around Twilight's ankles began smoldering from the heat before turning into molten metal and drizzling down her coat onto the floor. Celestia felt her heart double its pace as she watched her once beloved student finally descend into the darkness. "No... The transformation is complete."

Twilight lifted her head off the ground and opened her eyes, her dark red irises burning with anger and hatred. "You tried to kill me... Now I will return the favor."

Author's Note:

AHH!

Well, I am sorry if this chapter has a lot of mistakes. I had to publish this before my editors got to it because of what my schedule will be like the next few days. Also, for those confused what this prophecy they have been talking about, I will explain that soon

Hope you enjoyed this.