• Published 18th Nov 2012
  • 12,902 Views, 616 Comments

What Choice Do I Have? - chaos2012



Twilight is destined to be the one to destroy Equestria, and she will do anything to stop herself

  • ...
54
 616
 12,902

Darker Self

Away from Ponyville to the northeast, the great capital of Canterlot stood as a symbol for peace and for happiness for all those who saw it. The great castle in the back of the city overlooked the many buildings and the land that surrounded itself. It's gold and white color shined magnificently in the light of Celestia's sun.

At the top of one of the many towers, two figures were standing on a balcony overlooking a large part of equestria. One was the sun princess herself. Her bright white coat glistened as if she had just come from the spa and received the best form of treatment. Her long mane and tail shifted and flowed in the air, it's many colors sparkling as they swayed in the sunlight. She smiled over to her companion, "Do you like the view from up here?" she pleasantly asked.

The other figure was of a much shorter stature than the alicorn next to him. In fact he was much smaller than the standard pony, as he wasn't a pony at all. The small adolescent dragon was covered in purple scales over most of his body except for his stomach and chin, which was of a light green tint. He had a line of green spikes running from the top of his head, down his spine and the center of his tail. He turned smiled up at the princess, his small lips opening to reveal the small but sharp teeth inside his muzzle, "Yeah. This is amazing from up here. This is what I do miss about the castle, Princess. You're so lucky that you get to be up here all the time."

Celestia walked over to the edge by Spike, "Do you not enjoy Ponyville?"

"Of course. It's just that I grew up here, and it is was always so nice. I mean, you're the princess, you get to have this view all the time."

Celestia grinned at that statement. Her horn began to glow with her yellow aura as she levitated her golden crown off of her head, "Well, if you want to feel like royalty, all you need is to wear this."

Spikes eyes widened to the size of dinner plates, "What!? No no, I can't wear that! That is only for you."

"Oh Spike, it is only a piece of jewelry." she chuckled as she lowered the crown to Spike’s level.

Reaching out with his claws, he gripped the base of it. To his surprise, it was quite light despite its metal frame and size. Still unsure, he looked up to make sure she approved, which she did with a quick nod. Sighing, he lifted up the head piece and set it on top of his cranium. Surprisingly, it fit nearly perfect around and in front of the spikes on his head. He grinned as he stood there with the crown on him, "I have to say, this does make you feel awesome."

Celestia giggled at his amusement before lowering herself into a playful bow, "Oh the great Prince Spike. You are too great for me."

Spike stood up tall and stuck out his chest, trying to make himself look bigger than he was, "Prince Spike, I could get used to that."

Both of them laughed for several minutes at their role reversal before composing themselves and Spike handing back the golden crown. Celestia smiled as she levitated it back on top of her head, allowing it to settle down in her mane. "It has been wonderful having you here Spike."

"Thanks Princess, but I'm curious..." Spike Questioningly asked, "Why did you say we had work to do, but when I arrived all I did was hang out and relax?"

Celestia grinned at the little dragon, "I just thought that it would be nice to allow you two to just relax and take some time to revisit your old home. It's a shame Twilight said she got sick and couldn't come."

Spike felt much of the happiness that he had disappear at that moment, "Yeah, it was." he said as his head lowered.

Celestia noticed the change in Attitude, "Is something the matter, Spike?"

Spike sat quietly for a moment before talking again, "It's... Twilight."

Mildly concerned by Spike’s statement, the princess knelt on the ground to lower her eyes to spikes level, "What is the problem? Is she alright?"

"I... I don't know. For the last few months she has just been acting like something is really bothering her."

Celestia raised an eyebrow to this, "Really? She has never mentioned this to me in the past."

Spike frowned, "She doesn't talk about it with anypony. She just keeps it bottled up inside of her."

Celestia pondered on her thoughts for a moment, "Perhaps it would be best for Twilight to come here. If she isn't feeling well, I should try to see if she will open up to me."

"Yeah, Maybe that would be the best for her. I don't like to see her upset like this." Spike responded.

Celestia stood up, "Alright. Tell Twilight that she should come here as soon as possible for me to talk to her when you arrive back in Ponyville..." she paused as she looked back at the clock, seeing the hour hand set at one, "...which is in ten minutes."

Spike suddenly jumped up in the air, "Ten minutes!? I forgot what time it was! I have to get all my stuff packed, but if I do that I'll miss the train and-"

The loud thud of a brown suitcase dropping on the floor stopped Spike in the middle of his sentence. Looking down, he saw that it was his. Surprised, he turned to see one of the butler unicorns standing above him. The light blue stallion sat poised with his head in the air, "All of your belongings are ready for departure, sir."

Spike sat still as Celestia walked by his side and brushed him with one of her wings, "I have already notified the train to wait for your arrival. Now go and tell Twilight what I asked of you."

---

Ponyville library had been sealed shut from the inside. Every door and window was locked with a deadbolt, the blinds had been pulled down and shutters closed tight do block out any possible view for ponies from the outside street to peer into the wooden interior.

Inside of the library, darkness was all that could be felt. All the lights in the main lobby were shut off. The blinds halted any sunlight from entering through the glass and flooding the lobby to give its warm rays. Nothing was moving on the first floor, giving off an eerie silence that rang through the still air. The only sign of life that could be detected was from the small trickle of light coming from the small opening at the bottom of the closed door atop the stairs.

Through the locked door at the top of the steps, the bedroom also had all of the windows blocked and the lights turned off. The only form of light came from the single candle that was lit on the dresser in the dark room. The small flame flickered from the wisps of breath coming from the purple unicorn

Twilight Sparkle sat in the chair at the wooden stand as she stared into the tall mirror that reflected her own image. Her natural magenta eyes had replaced the burning red tone that had taken over her irises as soon as she locked herself inside of her home, but no matter how long she looked at her "normal" self, she felt like it wasn't what she was.

When she snapped at her friends just an hour before, she had panicked for what she had done. All of her friends, especially Pinkie, were frightened by her sudden change in both attitude and appearance. Confused, Twilight ran past them toward the library, slamming the door behind her and locking herself inside.

She did not know it at first, but the feelings that she felt weren't unnatural. Deep in her chest, the anger that she released wasn't something that she truly regretted. In fact, she felt almost relieved when she let the emotions flow out of her like that. The way the anger burst out was actually, natural. No matter how much she thought about it, she enjoyed her little release.

She hated that the most.

Gritting her teeth she slammed her hooves down on the desk. "Ahhh!" she screamed out of frustration. The candle nearly toppled over from the impact of her hit. Quickly using her magic, she caught the skinny wax stick and settled it back down on. She stared at the burning tip for several seconds. Despite the many times she tried to avoid fire for the feelings it brought up, fire for some odd reason felt like the best thing that she needed at the moment.

"Alright, Princess Celestia always told me that facing your fear is the best way to overcome it." Twilight said to herself. Taking a deep breath, she focused her gaze on the red and yellow flame. Looking into the tiny blaze, it didn't take long for her mind to create the figure that had
haunted her dreams for the past month.

Herself.

Closing her eyes, she created a black void in which she placed herself in. Directly in front of her was her other form; a mane and tail of fire attached to a bleach white coat. The other form opened its eyes, revealing the red eyes that she had only recently escaped. Twilight’s heart raced as she gazed upon the body that she had seen herself as in countless nightmares.

The fire Twilight grinned at her, "Do you like what you see?"

Twilight felt her heart jump at hearing herself talk, "You... You can speak?"

The fire Twilight chuckled at her response, "Of course I can. We are inside of your own mind,
which means I can be considered part of your subconscious."

Twilight was confused at this point; she was planning on seeing a image of herself and standing up to it to show it was fake. She did not plan on facing a talking version of her nightmare form, "So, you're just my imagination then."

Fire Twilight rolled her eyes, "No, I am more than just your imagination. I am connected to you. I am you."

Twilight glared at her fire self, "No. You are not me."

"He he, of course I am..." the flame maned unicorn responded, "I have always been inside of
you. I have just finally come out."

"You're lying. There is no way that I am like you."

"you're right, you aren't like me... Yet."

Twilight's eyebrow raised from confusion, "What are you talking about?"

"At this moment you are fighting the feelings that are coming from your body. I know that you are afraid of what you are seeing in these dreams of yours." the fire Twilight snickered. "You see what is bound to happen."

"No! I will not ever hurt my friends!" Twilight snapped.

"Of course you will..." Fire Twilight chuckled as she walked towards her standard self, "Your dreams are showing visions of what is going to happen." she continued to smile as she circled behind the frightened purple version of herself, "No matter how much you try and fight the urge, You will soon learn to accept what will happen to you."

"And what will happen to me?" Twilight shakingly asked.

"There is no reason for me to tell you, for you will discover it soon enough."

"No."

Fire Twilight turned and glared at the purple pony, "You foal. You still try to fight the-"

"Of course I am fighting it!" Twilight screamed at her flame self, "I will never become a monster! I will make sure I don't!"

"You don't understand, do you?" the fire unicorn stated, "You do not have a choice in the matter."

"I don't care what you say, I will never turn into you!" twilight charged her horn and pointed it at her flaming version, "Now, leave and stay out of my head!" she screamed as she fired a purple blast of magic. The beam struck her fire version square in the chest, launching the white unicorn back through the darkness.

Twilight snapped her eyes open, revealing herself back inside of her room at her desk. She had no idea what truly just happened inside of her head, but she still smiled at herself, "I did it! I beat my nightmare."

Letting out a small yawn, she blew out the candle on her dresser, causing the room to fall pitch black. She didn't need the light, however, for she knew the way around her bedroom so well that she could maneuver blindfolded. Placing her hooves down, she carefully felt her way over the floor, stepping right over the small basket by her bedside and up into her large bed.

Crawling under the covers, she rolled around for a few moments until she found a comfortable position. Laying her head on her pillow, she closed her eyes and let herself think of happy thoughts with her friends. Perhaps she could finally enjoy a peaceful dream.

---

The train skidded to a halt as it came up to the wooden platform of Ponyville station. The Steam from the brakes exhaled out as the doors to the carts opened up. Spike stepped out from his cart toward the front of the long line of cars. Landing on the station platform, he glanced up and down through the mass of ponies looking for a familiar face. To his confusion, he couldn't find the one he was looking for.

Spike was perplexed as he sat there. "That's weird, Twilight never misses picking me up from the train." he said to himself. Being alone here didn't bother him, but the point of Twilight ever not being on time to things did bother him. "She probably just got caught up reading again." He said to himself trying to believe that was the only reason.

Carrying his suitcase, he walked off the station through the main street of the town. Several ponies smiled and waved to him, greeting him from his return from Canterlot. Waving back, he continued to onward, seeing the library ahead of him.

"Hey Spike!"

Hearing his name called out, Spike looked up to see Rainbow dropping down out of the sky. "Hey Rainbow, what's up."

"Just passing by. When did you get back from Canterlot?" Rainbow asked.

"I just got back on the train a few minutes ago. I was just heading back to the library." he stopped to looks past the cyan pegasus to the tree he wanted to reach, "By the way, have you seen Twilight? She Wasn't at the station when I arrived here."

Rainbow snorted at hearing that name, "Twilight locked herself in the library over an hour ago."

Spike stared at her with confusion, "What are you talking about? Why would she do that?"

"We were all having lunch at the diner, then afterward we walked by Sugar Cube Corner and there was smoke coming out-"

"Oh wow, was anypony hurt?"

Rainbow rolled her eyes, "No, nopony was hurt, but that's not the point. Anyway, Twilight saw the
smoke and she freaked out."

"What do you mean she freaked out?"

"She started shaking and she ran off toward the library. When we all tried to ask her what was wrong, she wouldn't tell us. Then Pinkie tried to cheer her up, and Twilight just lashed out at her."

Spike turned his head out of curiousness to that, "She snapped?"

"Yeah, she screamed out for us to leave her alone, and then her eyes turned red."

Spike was really startled now, "R-red eyes? You mean like Vinyl's eyes?"

"No. Twilight's were much creepier for some reason. After she saw herself, she screamed and ran to the library and hasn't come out since."

Spike looked back at the library, "You haven't tried to talk to her?"

"Hey, I'm not the one who went crazy at Pinkie!" Rainbow sneered, "She should come out herself and apologize. Anyway, I gotta get back to Moving clouds around." and with that, Dash flew off towards the clouds in the distance on the outskirts of Ponyville.

Spike frowned at the airborne pegasus as she left. His eyes then floated back towards his home, his mind spinning on what was happening to his life long caretaker. Breathing deeply, he picked up his suitcase and walked onward to the tree once again, only stopping because of the shut door in his face, "Alright Twilight, let's end this secret stuff of yours."

Reaching up, he tried to twist the handle, but found it locked. "Just like Rainbow said." he muttered to himself. Stepping over to the planter to his right, he lifted the small rock in the corner, revealing the key hidden under it. Taking it in his claws, he put it inside of the small key hole and twisting it until he heard the click of the deadbolt shift. Pulling it out, he placed the key back under the rock and twisted the handle open.

Spike looked inside of the main lobby, and to his surprise saw nothing except for the area that the light coming from the doorway touched. Blinking several times, his dragon eyes adjusted to the darkness inside of the room, giving him a much better view. Seeing that nothing was out of the ordinary, he walked over to the light switch and flicked it up, illuminating the library in its white glow.

"Hmm..." Spike thought to himself as he looked towards the stairs, "She's probably up in her room." seeing that door was shut too, He went to the drawer in the kitchen and grabbed the small bedroom key at the back. Walking up the stairs, he put the thin key into the tiny dot-like hole and shifted it until it caught the switch.

Opening the door, he was met with more darkness inside. Reaching to the left, he found the other light switch and flicked up to turn on the lights set in the ceiling. Looking over to the bed, Spike saw the shape under the covers. "He he, Twilight fell asleep on me. She must have-"

"Spike."

"Huh?" Spike walked to the side of the bed and saw that Twilight was in deed sleeping. "She is talking in her sleep." he said to himself. He was about to let her be... Until he saw her quivering under the covers.

Twilight was trembling in her spot, whispering out her assistants name, "Spike... Spike."

---

Spike was running down the dark hallway of the royal castle. His breath came in rapid gasps as his lungs were becoming exhausted from running so hard. His clawed feet scraped across the marble flooring, echoing through the still air. Entering the main courtroom, his eyes shot back and forth around the room looking for the princesses. Yet despite his hopes, they were nowhere to be found.

Spike felt himself losing all hope as he dropped to the ground. His eyes began to become glossy from the few tears that formed from his emotions building up. He quickly used the back of his arm to wipe away he moisture blocking his vision, "Princess, I need your help."

*BOOSH*

The large stained glass window of Princess Cadence and Shining Armor was suddenly shattered by an object being thrown through it from the outside. The body smacked down onto the floor and skidded across the surface in the mix of all of the glass. It was Celestia, her body littered his hundreds of deep cuts and burns across her fur. Blood slowly trickled out of her open mouth.

"Princess!" spike screamed out as he started to run over to her, but stopped as he saw the wave of lava rush into the room through the open window. The massive molten mass immediately melted anything that it touched; the marble floor sizzled and dissolved as it was passed over. The carpet and walls burst into flames from the intense heat before they were even touched by the invading mass. Then, even the princess was enveloped in the body of molten rock. She screamed as she was covered by the lava, thrashing around to try to escape, but was eventually covered completely and disappeared under the mix.

Spike trembled as he saw the lump of lava where the princess was slowly begin to fall, until blending in with the rest of the pool. He stood there motionless as the mass slowly came up to him and past around his legs. His dragon body was immune to the heat of the lava, allowing it to pass by him painlessly.

Suddenly, another mass underneath the lava in front of him began to rise up. As the melted rock fell away, it left a towering flame set on the back of the head of a unicorn, it's eyes staring straight at him with malicious intent. Stepping out from the rest of the magma, the white body of Twilight was soon standing on the surface of the still flowing pool right in front of her former assistant. She smiled down at the frightened dragon, "I did forget that about you; you are immune to heat. That's too bad, because that means you will suffer that much longer."

Tears now freely flowed from the dragons eyes as he stared at the one that he loved. He treaded through the thick pool as he made hi way towards her, "Twilight! Please stop this! I don't want you to do this!" his claws were inches away from her legs trying to embrace her, but was suddenly caught inside of an aura of magenta magic lifting him out of the air and holding him in front of her face.

Twilight laughed as she saw the terrified look in the dragons face, "You act like I don't want to do any of this. I enjoy being able to do whatever I want with my power. I will burn this pathetic world to embers. Don't worry though, you will not be here to see it."

He magic shifted into a collar around Spikes neck and began to tighten. The young dragon thrashed in the air as he felt his windpipe constricted, blocking any room for him to breathe. His claws reached up to grab at it, but he was helpless under the power of his tormenter.

Twilight grinned as she watched the movement of the young dragon become less and less frequent after every passing moment. Soon, his arms fell to his side limp. The only form of life he had left was by the slight twitch in his eyes and for the corner of his mouth trembling. She lifted him closer to whisper into his ear, "Goodbye little Spikey whikey, perhaps you will meet your little crush in the afterlife."

---

"TWILIGHT!" Spike yelled

Twilight screamed out as she heard her name called and the feeling of something shaking her. Thrashing out from the constriction of the sheets, she fell off the side of the bed onto the wood floor. Scrambling up, she crawled to the corner of the room and curled up instinctively. Her eyes shot around the room, taking in where she was at the moment to prove the last thing she was was fake.

This didn't calm her down.

Her breaths were coming so fast she never took a full intake. Her coat was scraggily and damp from her bodies sweat. Her skin twitched from fear as she sat their. Her eyes then went to her bed, where she saw the frightened face of a purple dragon on top of the mattress. "S-sp-Spike?"

"Twilight, are you okay?" spike asked as he sat up, "You started thrashing in your sleep so I tried to wake you up. Was it another nightmare?" his eyes went wide as Twilight rushed forward and jumped onto the bed, wrapping her hooves around him and pulling him tight, "Oomph! Twilight, what are you-"

"Spike! I'm so sorry! I'd never want to hurt you!" Twilight screamed out as she embraced Spike, "I will never hurt you, I promise!"

Spike felt drips falling down onto his face from above. Shifting his head up, he saw that they were tears from Twilight. "Twilight, what's going on? What's wrong?"

Twilight didn't respond, her weeping too strong to stop. She put a hoof behind Spike's head and pulled it to her chest, giving her room to lay her head over his. "I will never hurt you... I will never hurt you." she whimpered.

Spike didn't know why, but he began to cry himself. Seeing his caretaker in this position hurt him so much. "Twilight, Please tell me what's wrong." he reached his arms up and wrapped them around Twilights neck.He pushed his cheek into her fur and allowed his own tears to flow, "Please Twilight, tell me what's wrong with you."

Both of them sat together for what seemed like an hour, their bodies never letting go of each other. They slowly rocked together, embracing as if this was their last time together. They didn't try to talk anymore, instead just fell into the bed as one and tightened their embrace. Twilight was soon able to stop her tears, kissing Spike on the forehead. Looking down, she saw that he had fallen asleep.

Putting her head back on him, she sat quietly in the bed. The house was silent once again... Except for the whisper inside of her mind.

'I told you that you cannot stop what is going to happen. You do not have a choice.'