• Published 18th Nov 2012
  • 12,902 Views, 616 Comments

What Choice Do I Have? - chaos2012



Twilight is destined to be the one to destroy Equestria, and she will do anything to stop herself

  • ...
54
 616
 12,902

Emotions are Strong

Celestia's sun was high above Ponyville and lit up the bright blue skies. It was a beautiful day as ponies strolled through the streets and walked by the shopping carts as they searched for different things that peeked their interests.

Out in front of a small diner, Rainbow Dash sat at a table with Pinkie Pie as they waited for the rest of their friends to come and meet up for their weekly lunch get together. Rainbow tapped her hoof on the ground impatiently as she sat there. "Uh! I told you they were gonna be late as usual. Why didn't you set it up later, Pinkie?"

Pinkie Pie just giggled at Rainbow's frustration, "Heh heh, oh silly, if I had made lunch later, than they could be late later, and that means no time for fun after later."

Rainbow continued to frown as she bent over and put her lips over the straw to her drink. Even though she was meeting up with friends, she never liked to wait for too long in one spot. Her body needed to fly, even if it was only a few feet off the ground. Boredom increasing she started to daydream of herself floating through the air as the cool wind blew through her rainbow colored mane. She imagined herself diving through the thick clouds and barrel rolling into a mix of difficult air maneuvers before a massive crowd of ponies as they cheered her name.

"woah!"

Rainbow was snapped out of her little dream at pinkies shout. Looking over to her, she saw her friends pink tail shaking like crazy. "Tail twitch!" Pinkie shouted out. Suddenly, she jumped out of her chair and moved just to the side as a large bag of letters dropped right on top of the seat where she sat.

"Whoops. My bad." a voice said from above.

Looking up, Rainbow and Pinkie saw Ditzy, a gray pegasus and the local mail carrier. Pinkie smiled up seeing her"Hi Ditzy

Ditzy dropped down, her slightly crossed eyes looking at the two, or they thought were looking at them, "Hi Pinkie. Sorry about that. I lost my grip on my mail bag just then." she said as she bent down to start gathering the loose letters that fell out.

"It's ok. I make mistakes all the time." Pinkie replied with a big smile.

Ditzy smiled back, "Thanks Pinkie. I'll try to be careful next time. Take care you two." and with that, she waved her goodbye and took off back into the skies.

Rainbow shook her head and chuckled to herself, "That Ditzy. She's always dropping the mail or crashing into a mailbox."

"Yeah, kinda like how ya crash into the library all the time."

Rainbow turned around in confusion to who said that. Near the grass walking towards them was Applejack, an orange earth pony with a yellow mane and tail. Her brown Stetson hat bounced on her head as she trotted over to the table. "Hey girls, how are y'all doin?" she said with a smile.

"Uh, bored out our my mind, what took you so long? We've been waiting forever for you." Rainbow grunted.
Applejack raised an eyebrow at her friends response, "Rainbow, it's 12:10. Lunch was set up at 12:00. Its only been ten minutes."

"Ten minutes does feel like forever when you have to wait for somepony. What were you doing anyway?"

"Ah had to finish applebucking this mornin' in one of the fields before ah came down. Big Mac had a lot on his plate so ah went over and helped him out."

Rainbow's face then sifted to a smirk, her mind working to get under the farmers skin, "You should have had me come over to the farm. I could've helped out your brother in half the time."

Applejack glared at the colorful pegasus, "Is that a fact?"

"Uh, yeah. How about when when i faced you in the iron pony competition? I think I proved I got you beat." rainbow chuckled and leaned back into her chair with her hooves behind her head."

Applejack walked over to the table, "If ah recall, y'all didn't play fair by using yer wings in half of those events. If ya didn't do that, ah got the top spot in strength."

Rainbow sat up at the statement, "Oh yeah? Well how about we prove it right now in hoof wrestling?" she finished by putting her right elbow up on the table and hoof in the air.

Applejack smiled at the challenge, "Yer on, missy." taking a seat across from Her opponent, she put her own elbow on the table and placed her hoof against Rainbows. "On three. One. Two. Three!"

Both ponies simultaneously began pushing against each other. Both mares shoved with everything that they had to push the others hoof down. Applejack smiled as she began to get the upper hoof, ever so slowly beginning to gain inch by inch, pushing the cyan hoof closer to the table top."Well, it looks like ah got this one, RD." Applejack said through her grunts.

Rainbow Struggled to keep her hoof up as Applejack began to push down. Sweat trickled down her forehead from the amount of energy she was using up. 'How in the hay does Applejack have this much strength left after apple bucking?' she thought to herself. Using everything she had left, she began to push up against the farmer, "I'm not done yet!"

"Yes ya are!" Applejack yelled as she slammed Rainbows hoof down onto the tablecloth so hard that it knocked over the juice that had been sitting on top. The cup was flung off the table and spilt across the dirt before a white unicorn.

"uh! You're going to get my coat dirty, and I was just groomed!" Rarity exclaimed as she took a few steps back away from the juice. She flicked her styled purple mane as she frowned at the two panting ponies on top of the table, "You two should learn to conduct yourselves in public. It is absolutely appalling for you to just start going at it in the middle of a restaurant."

"Beg her pardon Rarity, but we are outside at a diner. Ah don't think we need to be all fancy here." Applejack responded.

"Wait a second; did you just say you got groomed? You went to the spa when we had lunch set up?" Rainbow shot out.
Rarity smiled, "Of course we went. There was a special-"

"We?" the three ponies at the table said at once.

From behind Rarity stepped out Fluttershy, a light yellow Pegasus with a pink mane. She quietly approached the table and took a seat in one of the open chairs. She looked over and felt awkward as the eyes stared at her, "um, is there something wrong?" she said just above a whisper.

"why did you go to the spa when you knew we had lunch set up? We always have lunch on Tuesday together." Rainbow said.

"Well Rarity saw that there was a two for one special at the spa for this morning, and she said that we would have plenty of time to do our treatment and then come to lunch after."

"Oh it's ok that you got a little held up, we still have to wait for Twilight." Pinkie exclaimed.

"Now that is peculiar; Twilight is never one to be late. She is completely against anything like that." Rarity stated.

"Actually, have any of y'all noticed that Twilight has acted a little different lately?" Applejack responded

"What do you mean?" Fluttershy asked.

"Ah mean, it's like she is always tired even if she doesn't do anything in the day. She never before slacked off her readin', but now ah hardly ever see her with a book."

"She's probably just a little down right now. We should cheer her up with a party!" Pinkie
shouted as she hopped up and down.

"Shh, here she comes." Rainbow interjected as she signaled to the right.

They turned around and saw Twilight walking towards their table. They all noticed the loose strands of purple mane sticking up in a few spots. The small bags under her eyes were another thing that caught the groups attention. They quickly glanced back and forth at each other, curious on what could be ailing their friend. Twilight stopped at the edge of the table and gave a weak smile, "Hi girls, sorry I'm late."

Rarity tried to force a grin despite seeing her friend in such a messy look, "Oh hello Twilight. You look.."

"Like a wreck." Rainbow bluntly stated which caused a table full of glares in her direction. "What? I'm just saying."

Twilight stared at Rainbow for a moment, then shifted her gaze over to Pinkie Pie. Instantly, her mind went black and replayed the horrible vision she had the night before of both of them on the ground in pain as she walked towards them through her own destruction. A slight tremor ran through her body as she tried to force the horrid ideas out, but she couldn't. It wasn't until one of her friends yelled out for her attention that she could register anything.

"Twilight!" Rainbow snapped.

Twilight shot her eyes open at her name. She saw the worried looks plastered to all of her friends faces as they stared at her. shaking her head to clear it, she tried to smile up at them, "Sorry for that. I didn't sleep well last night so my head is a little dizzy."

"Well, if you aren't feeling good, do you think you should go home and rest?" Fluttershy asked with concern.

Twilight contemplated the idea for a moment. She knew she was tired, but sleeping meant she would have to risk seeing another horrible dream while inside of her subconscious. "No, I'm alright, thank you Fluttershy, perhaps enjoying a nice lunch with my friends is the best thing for me right now." she trotted over to the final open chair and took a seat on top. "Right then, let's get some food."

----

After about an hour the six had finished up their meals. Twilight was actually in a much better mood now since she was enjoying the time she was having with the others. All of the horrible thoughts she had earlier had actually been forgotten for a while, giving her the ability to focus unlike she could before.

The six of them were now walking towards Sweet Apple Acres to relax and because Applejack had offered to give them all free cider. Her family had made a large batch not too long ago, and if it wasn't finished off by the next day it was going to be thrown away anyway, so she figured it would be nice to let her friends enjoy it while they still could. "Come on everypony, that cider ain't gonna drink itself." Applejack shouted out as they led the others towards the edge of town.

As they walked passed Sugar Cube Corner, a sudden crash was heard from inside of the kitchen, followed by a trail of smoke that began to billow out of the door. Pinkie Pie gasped at the sight, "Oh my goodness! What in the hay is going on in there?"

Out of the door came Mr. and Mrs. Cake carrying their two fillies, Pound and Pumpkin. They coughed as they stumbled out and down the steps to the street where they were met by Pinkie and the others. "What happened? Are you alright?" Rarity asked.

Mr. Cake smiled at their concern, "We're fine. One of the ovens shorted out and started a small fire. It's out at least. We just had to get out of the smoke."

"Oh my, I glad you're ok." Fluttershy smiled.

Applejack tilted her hat up and smiled at the baker family, "Same here, y'all are mighty lucky that wasn't any worse than it was. It could've-" she stopped as she looked over and saw someone missing from their group, "Twilight?"

All of them looked back to see Twilight back in the center of the street where they had just been, staring at the smoke rising from store. Her body trembled as the rush of memories came back to her in full force. She remembered herself sending out the blast of fire to ignite the bakery. She remembered the giant fire ball she materialized to blast the store to bits. Every detail came back to her head in graphic detail.

Applejack trotted over to the frozen unicorn, unsure what was wrong."Twilight, are you alright?"

Twilight looked back to her friends as they crowded around her. Her mind began to spin on what she should do. 'I can't let them know any of this. They would never forgive me.' "I'm sorry, but I... I gotta go." Backpedaling, she turned around and ran down the street back towards the library.

The others stared in confusion at each other as Twilight sprinted away from them. “What got into her?” Rarity asked.

Applejack watched as Twilight ran around the street corner out of sight, “Ah don’t know. She was staring up at that smoke and then she just freaked out.”

“Should we just let her go?” Fluttershy whispered

“No way! she’s been acting weird for a while and she hasn’t been telling us.”Rainbow said as she flapped her wings and floated up in the air, “I’m gonna go find out.” and with that she flew down the road.
---
“Why can’t I get those thoughts out of my head!” Twilight yelled as she ran down the road. She cantered through the crowds of ponies, causing many ponies to jump out of her path. She didn’t care for what the others thought of her odd behavior; she just wanted to get away from everypony else. Looking ahead of her she saw the library in sight, but her vision was suddenly blocked by a cyan pegasus dropping in front of her. Twilight skidded to a stop at the roadblock in front of her.

Rainbow Dash sneered at Twilight as they stared at each other, “Not so fast Twilight. What’s going on? why have you been acting so strange lately?”

Twilight mouth hung open for several seconds, unsure of what she should say. “I... I don’t know what you’re talking about.”
Presently, Rarity and the others caught up soon after Rainbow Dash, all of them with worried looks on their faces. Twilight began to sweat as they came closer, seeing that they were determined to find out what was happening to her.

Rarity stepped forward, “Twilight, what is bothering you? You’ve been acting rather odd.”

Twilight panicked as they all circled her, “Nothing is bothering me. I’m just not feeling well.”

“Twilight, it’s not good to keep stuff bottled inside of ya. talk to us.” Applejack said.

Twilight looked back and forth between her friends as they all kept prying at her. Her heart began racing from the fear of her friends seeing what she was dreaming. There would be no way that they could ever understand her thoughts. They would reject her. They would hate her. She was becoming frustrated that they wouldn’t just leave her alone. “Girls, i don’t want to talk about it. I-”

“Oh, so something is bothering you.” Rainbow interjected.

"N-no! I just... I can't talk about it. Please, just stop." Twilight was panicking, but she also felt something else inside of her beginning to build up. Something that she did not expect since she always had control over it. Anger. She was becoming angry that her friends wouldn't just drop the questions and leave her alone. "Just leave me alone."

Pinkie bounced forward and put her hooves on Twilight’s face, "You know what you need to do? You need to smile!" she then forced Twilights cheeks back so they revealed her teeth, "You see? Smiles are good! He he!"

Twilight shook her face free from her friends grip and stepped back. Her frustration was building now. She glared as Pinkie Pie tried to approach her again, "Pinkie, knock it off!"

“Twilight, trust me, let old Pinkie Pie cheer you up and-"

"I SAID KNOCK IT OFF!" Twilight screamed out. The volume that she reached echoed across the entire street, freezing every pony in their tracks. Her tone was cold and painful, etched into each word that she said.

Pinkie's mane immediately fell flat against her as she trembled under Twilight's gaze. She dropped down to the ground, tears beginning to form in her eyes, "I'm sorry Twilight. I- I was just trying to make you feel better."

Twilight’s eyes went wide as she put a hoof up to her mouth, 'What have I done?' she thought to herself, ‘She wasn’t doing anything wrong.’ She walked up to her crying friend, "Pinkie, I'm so sorry. I don't know what came over-" she stopped as Pinkie backed away from her. Shocked, she looked around to see everypony else staring at her in fear.

Her friends began stepping back from her. Fluttershy quivered as she tried to speak, "Tw-Twilght, what's wrong with you?"

Twilight was afraid now. She didn't understand what was happening. She knew she had overreacted, but she couldn't see why they were scared of her. "Girls, what is wrong? I didn't mean to snap like that, but what is making you all so-"

Her mouth froze as she turned and saw her reflection in a store window to the side of the street. She thought her mind was playing tricks on her, so she tried to shut her eyes and shake her head clear. When she reopened, her fears were proven correct; she wasn't imagining it.

Her eyes were blood red.