• Published 20th Nov 2012
  • 1,974 Views, 52 Comments

Colfire - solsticebrony888



Colgate seeks to see her old friend Spitfire again, but is a friendship the limit?

  • ...
6
 52
 1,974

Chapter 2

“She really said that? You’re funny, Colgate, but you’re not a good liar,”

“No really! I swear, she tours all across Equestria, but only meets fans, not friends. We’re going to hang out tonight!”

Carrot Top chuckled, laying comfortably on her roommate’s couch, “Oh really now? Just going to hang out in public with one of the most idolized ponies in Equestria? How’d that even work?”

The blue unicorn poured some water into a glass from the kitchen adjacent to their living room as she spoke, “You forget that she gets to go places most ponies can’t go. Or, she can just pay the owner of a bar to only have her and somepony else stay. She said she would meet me wearing a large hat and glasses, so fans wouldn’t won’t flip out at the sight of her. Gosh, I am excited,”

“Wow, so you’re not joking after all. Ugh, now I feel extremely jealous! My friend knows a Wonderbolt, and is now going to be hanging out with her. Now I have a lot of questions to ask you!”

“Okay C, ask away,” Colgate said, taking a spot in a chair across from the couch her friend was laying in.

“So, how’s her personality? She seems cocky whenever I see them perform.”

“Eh, I’d say that’s more a show she puts on. To be honest, she was nicer than I expected, but in a cool way, if that makes any sense. She can pull off being one of the coolest mares in Ponyville without being a complete jerk, too. I guess that showed when I first met her,”

“Does she have a coltfriend? She could get any stallion she’d ever want.”

“I don’t think she does. I didn’t really ask. She did say that she dated Soarin’ for a while, though,”

“What? HA! Soarin’s a player, he probably has ten marefriends at once. No wonder she’s single.”

“I will say this though, she was in amazing shape. I was talking to her after she took off her uniform. It made me feel a bit jealous, considering the most exercise I get is walking to my work. I almost feel out of place, she’s a ten, I’m like a six!” The unicorn stated with a laugh.

“Why were you smiling so much when talking about how good of shape she’s in?”

I was smiling?

“What do you mean? I’m just saying, up close, she’s extremely fit. I felt fat near her, heh, maybe seeing her healthiness inspired me, I don’t know.” Colgate responded, kinda bothered by the question.

“Sounds to me like if you were a fillyfooler, you’d be all over that.”

“As if a six like me could get a ten like her. You’re funny,” Colgate retorted quickly, “And besides, I’m not, so you can stop saying I am.”

“Heck, I’d be all over that and I’m not a fillyfooler. She sounds pretty gorgeous without her uniform on.” Carrot Top said with a smile, “Then again, I’m not even a six.”

“Oh hush, you’re better looking than I am. We’re just the run-of-the-mill mares around town, but I have no problem with that. It keeps things normal, and I like normal.”

Carrot Top adjusted her position on the couch, then yawned, “Ugh, today was tiring. I’m going to take a nap or something. When are you going to meet Spitfire? Will any other Wonderbolts be there?”

Colgate pondered the question for a second, “I think it’s just going to me and her. I don’t think she’d want to spend any more time with the Wonderbolts than she also already does. I have to leave seen soon, it’s in like an hour from now when I am supposed to her.”

“Where?”

“It’s a secret.” The blue unicorn said with a chuckle.

<><><><><><><><><>

Heh, I’m actually nervous. It’s been a while.

“Formal or casual... formal or casual?”

Spitfire sifted through the limited amount of clothes she owned that weren’t uniforms. The Pegasus contemplated wearing any at all; considering it was going to be much more casual than formal, since she’s just going to hang out with a friend.

“Soarin’, do ponies even really wear clothes when they spend time with friends nowadays?”

From the side of the Wonderbolts’ training room came a response, “I dunno. I don’t think friends care about what their friends wear or don’t wear when they hang out. Are you going to meet some fans or something?”

Lowering to the ground, Spitfire continued, “No, it’s actually the old friend who was a V.I.P at our races earlier today. We hit it off.”

“I have a feeling she’s just hanging with you just to have you meet her friends, sign autographs, do all that stuff. You’re too trusting sometimes; ponies have a lot to gain just by meeting us. It’s easier to mooch off of us than to work as hard as we did for what we’ve achieved, y’know.”

“You’re being ridiculous, Colgate is one of the nicest ponies I’ve ever known. She’s spending time with me because she knows I need a break from the spotlight. You can be so cynical sometimes, Soarin’”

“Well, when you’re signing autographs and taking pictures with fans, instead of hanging out with your new friend, you’ll know I’m right.”

“Fat chance, Sore-flank. You’re just jealous I actually have a friend now.”

Soarin’ laughed slightly obnoxiously, “Yeah! Every night I spend with a different marefriend, I always wish I could have a friend.” He said, thick with sarcasm.

“Shut up.” Spitfire chided, though knowing the fellow Wonderbolt was just messing with her, “We’re just going to go to a bar and reminisce on the days when we both went to school together. I can relax and enjoy the privacy. I probably should get going soon.”

Spitfire used a brush to comb her mane to the side to make it look a bit nicer than its usual windblown look. She wasn’t going to wear anything, but she knew to at least clean herself up a bit. Though being quite the tomboy, she found herself slightly enjoying a chance to express a more feminine side of herself.

I hope I don’t come off as that typical rude superstar.

Spitfire found herself slightly nervous, but excited at the prospect of getting to hang out.

I can't just say 'Wonderbolts this and flying that', I'd just bore her. I need to be interesting, beyond just my obvious stardom.

Taking a temporary hat and glasses with her, she exited the Wonderbolt’s training facility and flew high up so nopony would hopefully see her. Spitfire, despite her worries, was still very excited to hang out with a friend for once. Not a fan, a friend who genuinely wants to spend time with her and hang out together.

It’s darker outside than I thought it was.

After a few minutes of flying the general direction of the Hoofbeat Bar, she descended to where she would see the sign that adorned the top of the building. It was a small bar, typical to those that any regular pony would go to after a hard day’s work.

I never thought I’d be excited to go a regular old bar, heh.

Spitfire spotted the blue unicorn from the air, both arriving nearly at the same time. Colgate quickly noticed the Pegasus as she flew down. Spitfire landed a few feet away from her.

“I’m so glad you could make it, Spitfire.” Colgate said kindly, with a smile.

Colgate is so nice. There’s no friends around her to beg me for autographs, either. I’ll have to tell Soarin’, it’ll be awesome.

“I definitely wouldn’t miss a time to hang with an old friend of mine. Ready to go in?” Spitfire said, returning the smile, then realizing she didn’t even need the hat or glasses to hide herself. There didn’t seem to be another pony in sight.

At the counter, they both sat and each ordered a glass of cider, Spitfire setting her hat and glasses on the chair next to her.

“I guess you didn’t really need those since it’s dark now, huh?” Colgate asked, looking towards the hat and glasses.

“Heh, no I didn’t until left. I didn’t know Luna would raise the moon so early tonight.”

“How long did it take for you to gain so many fans? I mean, you’re one of the newer Wonderbolts, yet you’re the team captain, you must have a lot of fans just because of that.”

Spitfire pondered the question, “Oh, when I first joined, it was almost instant. Like, after the first show, BAM! Everyone wanted my autograph, a picture, anything, really. It was amazing at first, being the center of attention. I didn’t expect to lose so many friends. Ponies I knew back in school just assumed I forgot about them. They didn’t know how busy this job is. It’s not just flying in loops and patterns for crowds, it’s constant practicing, while at night trying my best to respond to fan mail. It’s overwhelming, I didn’t really have many chances to hang out with them. I’d never purposefully forget about somepony, but it’s just what happens when you’re in the spotlight constantly. Y’know, I’m probably more envious of you than you are of me.”

“I agree, I couldn’t handle being in the spotlight at all.” Colgate said with a chuckle.

“I’m serious though, you live such a nice, I guess private lifestyle. You get to choose to go out in public without being swarmed. Ugh, it’s not very cool for me to be whining like this so I’ll stop.”

Colgate laughed, “No, I’m your friend for a reason, I’m here to listen, Spitfire.”

Spitfire smiled half-heartedly, “Well, I told you about it a little earlier. This is my first time actually hanging out with somepony in a long time. I’m enjoying this right now more than my past five performances, and that’s saying something,” The Pegasus sighed, “Life seems a lot more fun when things aren’t just given to you anytime you want them. When you have to work, save-up, study. It makes it much more, I guess enjoyable. It’s hard to enjoy something when you really didn’t have to work for it all. Maybe that’s why I’ve been single for so long, I could get any stallion to date me if I wink and give them an autograph. There’s no, I guess anxiousness­ involved. I don’t feel nervous, I don’t get butterflies. It’s just not the same anymore. I may be famous, but if I could go a week of just being normal, it’d be fantastic.”

The unicorn took a moment to ponder this as an older stallion returned with their cider, “Well, maybe you could…I don’t know…” Colgate sighed, then continued, “I think you need to just take a vacation somewhere and just take a break from performing. Relax. I think taking some time off from performing will make you enjoy it much more when you get to perform again. Maybe you’ll meet a stallion you like, I don’t know.” The Pegasus chugged half of her cider, Colgate looking at her and chuckling,

“Ah. That was refreshing. Maybe I do need a vacation. But we’re going to be touring this next month in Las Pegasus, then Manehattan. It’s not like I won’t try my best on the performances, but the whole time I’ll be thinking about being here, hanging out with you.”

Whoa… Colgate thought. Her heart soared, facing the other way to avoid Spitfire seeing the sudden redness on her cheeks.

Didn’t see that one coming, Celestia knows I hate being flattered.

“I’d much rather be here, drinking some cider with you. It’s a break from the normal. It’s better.”

“Well, now you’re just flattering me, I’m not that interesting.”

A Wonderbolt just told me she’ll be thinking about me when she’s performing. Carrot Top would never believe me.

Spitfire took another chug of the cider, then ordered a second one, “I’m paying, okay?’

“No, I’ll pay for myself, it’s fine.” Colgate responded with a slight smile.

“Yes.”

“No.”

“Yep.”

“Nope.”

“Yes, final answer!” Spitfire said with a hearty laugh, “It’d be my pleasure.”

“I’ll pay next time then.”

“Hmmmmm. Nope.” She responded, both mares laughing for a bit.

When they finally calmed down, Colgate decided to attempt to chug her Cider. Lifting up the cup with her magic, she started spilling some of it instantly, causing her and Spitfire to laugh.

“I’m not very good at drinking so much at once,” Colgate said, wiping her mouth, “That was definitely fun, though.”

Spitfire burped, “I can’t say I expected you to attempt to chug some cider, I’ll give you an A for effort.”

“I didn’t really try; it was more like a C- in effort.” The unicorn responded with a laugh.

Spitfire stood up, “I gotta go to the restroom, I’ll be back soon. Make sure you don’t chug any cider until I am back!”

The Pegasus walked in the opposite direction towards where she assumed the restrooms would be. Colgate sighed happily, sipping on the cup of cider she had.

Wow, she’s in really good shape.

“I feel fat.” Colgate said aloud, for no reason.

She kept finding her eyes drifting towards Spitfire’s backside, only for her to quickly avert her attention elsewhere. Her heart fluttered each time she saw Spitfire’s body, before the Pegasus turned to find the restroom on the other side of the bar.

What’s wrong with me? There’s no reason for me to be doing that. We’re both mares, that’s so weird of me. I’m not a fillyfooler.

The unicorn ignored the fact she had been staring at her friend’s flank and decided that it was just a side effect of the alcohol.

She still makes me feel out of shape though. I can’t help it. She’s muscular, but not in a creepy way. She’s skinnier than me, her flank’s shapelier. She has a prettier mane, beautiful eyes…

“Ya okay, Colgate?”

Colgate’s eyes snapped open, “Yes, of course. Gosh, I don’t handle my alcohol well.”

“I can’t have much more to drink anyway, I’m probably already too drunk to fly back to my home - jeez, why are you blushing so much. You still get embarrassed easy huh?”

“Yeah…”

I’m never getting drunk again…

“We don’t need to drink more to continue having fun, you up for around of pool? I’ll win this time, you know I am competitive by nature.”

Calm down Colgate, nothing to worry about. Spitfire didn’t see you staring at her flank. I’m drunk, there’s no other explanation. Deal with it later.

“Alright, but you won’t win!”

Things quickly returned normal for Colgate. She and Spitfire got along famously. Colgate ended up winning the majority of their games of pool, probably the only thing she'd ever beat the Wonderbolt at. Their friendship definitely wasn't conventional, and it definitely wasn't going to be a normal friendship, but their both were happy to have somepony who they can relate to- even more than they had expected to.

Their night of hanging out ended at about one am when Spitfire decided she needed to get back to the Wonderbolt's training facility so she can get enough rest for the next day's practices.

Both mares went to sleep happy and content, knowing they had just solidified a new friendship.