• Published 18th Nov 2012
  • 6,461 Views, 148 Comments

The Element of Magic - Blue Dragon



What if Twilight met different element bearers? How different would things end up?

  • ...
5
 148
 6,461

Sweet Talkers

"Come on, Twilight! You can do it!" Spike urged happily. He just knew this transformation spell was going to impress Bon Bon.

"I-I'm working on it!" Twilight muttered, concentrating on the dragon's scales. He stood proudly, looking forward to how great he was about to look. The assistant felt magic wrap around him, lifting him into the air...

And the spell was a success!

"Twilight! You did it! You did it!!!" He exclaimed, beaming at her. He glanced back at the new addition to his body.

"...Why don't...you...give them a try?" She panted from the exertion of the spell. Spike was all too happy to oblige. He flapped his newly made wings until he was airborne. It was a pretty sweet experience. The only thing wrong with them was how they were gray, and didn't match his scales at all. That didn't bother him much, though.

"Wow, Twi! This is awesome! Spitfire wasn't lying when she told me flying was this good!" He flew around excitedly chattering, "And doesn't that make twenty-five spells?"

The unicorn's cheeks colored, and she sheepishly cast her eyes downward. "Well, yeah..."

Now that her concentration had been broken, the dragon's fake wings disappeared, and he fell to the ground with a thump. "Yowtch!" He exclaimed, rubbing his bottom where he'd landed. "Give me some kind of warning before doing that!"

"Sorry, Spike... It just... happened, and it's your fault for saying something like that!" She bristled.

"Whatever... I just know Bon Bon would've loved it! You think you can cast it on me again later, Twi?" The assistant looked into Twilight's eyes pleadingly.

The unicorn giggled at the display. "We'll see."


Spike and Twilight walked casually through town. The unicorn was laughing, but the dragon didn't seem amused.

"Twi, would you stop laughing, already? It wasn't that funny!" He kicked at the ground in annoyance.

"It was funny, Spike! I didn't think you'd run into the wall like that! Maybe you aren't ready for wings just yet." She smiled at him fondly. He was still wearing a frown.

"Says the mare who freaks out when she doesn't have a schedule done a year ahead of time!"

"Hey, hey... Let's not get into that."

Spike pouted, but he couldn't hold a grudge for very long. He was already back to commenting on Twilight's magical prowess. "Anyway, you did that spell pretty easily, Twilight! You're getting good. You might be the strongest unicorn in all of Equestria!"

"No way!" A different voice exclaimed. Both Spike and Twilight jumped in surprise, turning towards the shouting somepony. "The Great and Powerful Trixie is..."

The blue unicorn's voice died down, and she stared at Twilight for a long time. The stranger had a beautiful blue coat, a silver-white mane that sparkled in the sunlight, and her cutie mark showed some sort of magic trick. The mare didn't move at all, and she was beginning to worry Twilight.

"Excuse me, but are you... okay?" She inquired gently. The blue mare continued to stare unblinkingly, until her cheeks turned bright red.

"Trixie is always okay! She's wondering who you are, though." Spike instantly disliked the mare with the way she talked like she was better than everypony else--and the third-person speaking was even worse.

"Um..." Twilight was taken aback, too. "My name is Twilight Sparkle. Who are you?"

The other unicorn was looking at the mare in a way the dragon didn't like. "I'm the Great and Powerful Trixie Lulamoon, here to show my magical prowess to the ponies of Ponyville! You'll... You'll show up, won't you?" Her voice grew to a normal pitch at her last request.

"...Yeah? Sure." Twilight's eyebrow rose on its own, silently questioning this strange pony. However, she was pretty dense, and didn't take the hint.

"Good! The show takes place in five minutes by Town Hall--you'd better be there!" The blue mare gave her one last look before trotting away. A bewildered Twilight remained in place, unsure of what had just happened. Spike stomped the ground in annoyance.

"Who does she think she is? Did you see the way she was looking at you and called herself 'great and powerful'? Twilight! Are you listening to me?!" He glared at his friend. The pony jumped at the sudden assault on her ears, giving Spike an apologetic look.

"Sorry, Spike. What was that?" He huffed angrily, but got over it pretty fast.

"You're not actually gonna go, are you? That mare's got trouble written all over her!"

Twilight gazed at the dragon curiously. "What do you mean? She seemed okay."

"What do I mean?" Spike repeated incredulously, "She said she was better than you, and she was talking like a lunatic! We should just go back to the library and--"

"What about Bon Bon? We were just going to meet her at Town Hall!" That shut him up. Spike crossed his little arms, thinking about the situation. He eventually gave in with a sigh.

"I guess you're right... I do want to see Bon Bon..." He mulled over the thought, "...Let's go." The assistant hopped onto Twilight's back, even going so far as to dig his heels into her side. It was quite the gesture of disrespect to ponykind.

"Spike, you're not supposed to do that! It's rude!" She turned and glared at the dragon on her back. He raised his claws apologetically.

"Sorry... Just had to give it a try..." The unicorn gave him another stern look before continuing her trot to Town Hall. It didn't take very long, and there was quite the crowd in front of a portable stage. Spike glared at the mare atop it as they blended into the group of ponies.

"Now," the showpony began in a rehearsed tone, "I will need an assistant for these tricks!" Lots of mares instantly raised their hooves in an excited manner. Twilight remained still, curious as to the magic involved.

"I choose..." Her eyes scanned the crowd, and for some ominous reason, Twilight was sure she was staring straight at her when she finally spoke again. "You!" The unicorn's horn lit up, and Twilight suddenly found herself on stage. Oh no... She immediately thought, feeling dread snake its way into her heart.

Trixie leaned towards the other mare with a devious smirk. "Just go along with me, won't you? It won't be difficult, I assure you."

Spike glowered at the stage, angry that he'd fallen to the ground on his bottom not once, but twice that day. He squeezed his way through the crowd until he was at the front. Apparently, Spitfire, Bon Bon, and Derpy were already there.

The showpony turned back towards her audience. "Prepare yourselves for the show-stopping ability of the Great and Powerful Trixie's magic, and her assistant, Twilight Sparkle."

The unicorn pulled her hat off of her head. "First, we will start off with something simple. Twilight Sparkle, see what you can find inside this hat." Trixie made sure to show the crowd that there was nothing in her cap before pointing it towards Twilight. The lavender mare really didn't want anything to do with this, but couldn't find a way out of it. With a sigh, she reached a hoof into the hat. And...

Nothing was there.

Twilight groped around, trying to find something to pull out. She never was good with illusionary magic, so she knew she couldn't fake something. However, she had been practicing transformation spells.

The unicorn smirked, and faked a gasp. Twilight pulled out her hoof--or what used to be her hoof. It now looked like a purple dragon's claw. In the crowd, Spike quickly hid his new hoof with a sheepish smile.

"What happened to my hoof?" She stared at it with fake surprise. The ponies in the audience seemed taken aback, too. They were probably expecting a bunny to be pulled out of the hat.

Trixie was grinning, too. "My, my! Allow the Great and Powerful Trixie to aid you." She put her hooves on Twilight's claw, her horn lighting up. Somehow, she knew how to reverse the spell, and the body parts went back to normal.

The ponies all stomped the ground in approval--except Twilight's friends. They didn't look too happy.

"Next, prepare to see something you've never seen before!" Trixie's horn cast a bright light that blinded everypony, and when they could see again, there were multiple Twilights. Of course, the original knew right away that it was just an illusion.

For some reason, though, Bon Bon, Spitfire, and Derpy were still glaring at Trixie. Everypony else seemed pretty content with the show. The blue mare wore another smile, spinning a fake Twilight around. The real unicorn was a little confused as to the point of this trick.

"Trixie has a question for those of you in the audience... How will this Twilight Sparkle react to a kiss?"

The real Twilight blushed immediately, not liking this at all. None of her friends did, either. Most of the crowd laughed, saying that she'd kiss her back. The unicorn wasn't sure how to feel about how they thought about her.

Trixie did not seem phased in the least. She leaned down and planted her lips on the fake unicorn's. Immediately, all of the fake ponnies disappeared in a puff of smoke, leaving nothing in their places. The showpony laughed at the look on the real Twilight's face.

Most ponies in the crowd laughed, too. The show went on in a similar manner, embarrassing Twilight more than ever. The blue mare seemed to be acting entirely too friendly to her, and with a huge ego at the same time. The longer the tricks went on, the angrier Spike, Spitfire, Bon Bon, and Derpy became.

Eventually, Spike had enough when Trixie had made Twilight disappear, and reappear in her forelegs. "Grr, stop it!!!"

The dragon pulled himself on top of the stage, glaring at the showpony. Trixie frowned at him, letting Twilight go. "What is it, dragon?"

"All you've been doing is boasting about your magic and being weird around Twilight! She's stronger than you are!" Spike puffed out his chest with pride, "She can do twenty-five powerful spells in a row! There's no way you're better than she is, so you can just leave Ponyville and never come back."

Trixie gave him a look before a small smile took its place. "Oh, Trixie think she understands... You must have feelings for Twilight Sparkle."

The dragon slipped and fell on his face, blushing. "W-What?!" He stuttered, pushing himself back up to his feet. "I do NOT!"

Spitfire flew onto the stage, wearing a simple baseball cap to hide her unmistakable mane. "He's right. You ought to trot back to where you came from; your boasting was getting on my nerves."

The blue mare laughed a little too loudly. "Honestly? Trixie does have a show she needs to finish, and you are interrupting it."

Bon Bon got up on the stage, too. "If we're speaking honestly, that's my thing. Your tricks are a bit much for somepony you don't really know, aren't they?"

Trixie didn't get a chance to reply before Derpy joined in. The gray pegasus glided over next to Twilight, placing a hoof on her shoulder as she glared at the showpony. "You were making Twilight Spark really uncomfortable!"

"So you're all jealous of Trixie? My, Twilight Sparkle, you have quite the harem going on..." The unicorn didn't even know what that meant. She just wanted to disappear at this point in time. "However, all of you are nothing in comparison to the Great and Powerful Trixie, who can court anypony!"

The crowd that'd been dispersing quickly became interested, trotting back to see what was about to happen.

"In fact," she continued, "Trixie challenges all of you neigh-sayers to a competition! Whoever wins Twilight Sparkle's heart is the victor. And... if I win, she will become my permanent assistant in my travels."

Twilight's eyes widened to the size of dinner plates. "What?! Don't I get a say in this?!"

They ignored her. Spitfire kept her heated gaze on the showpony, the temptation to compete too much to refuse. "You're on, Trix. I'll show you just how ridiculous you look in front of the whole town--and just how great I am with dating, whether it be with a stallion or a mare."

Derpy trotted towards the blue unicorn, scowling at her. "Me too. Tricky, I'll win before you even get to the starting line."

Trixie was about to question the logic behind the statement and about how she'd called her the wrong name, but Bon Bon was already speaking.

"I've never been one to back down on a challenge, especially when it depends on my friend's life! You'll never win, Trixie." The mares glared at each other. Spike looked a little upset that Bon Bon had agreed to it, but felt stronger about Twilight's predicament.

"I know Twilight a lot better than you do, Trixie! You'll see--I know exactly what she looks for in a stallion. You won't last a second." The dragon smirked pridefully.

Trixie grinned deviously. "I suppose I'll make the first move." The showpony pulled Twilight towards her, spun her in a way similar to how she'd handled the fake one, and...

She kissed her.


Twilight was never very good with social interactions. This one, however, really took the cake. Hay, she'd never even thought of romance seriously, except for that one time with a colt she'd had a crush on in Celestia's school. Things didn't work out, and she'd forgotten all about it even existing.

Trixie's kiss, Twilight's first kiss, brought it all back. In the panicked frenzy of her mind, all she could do was teleport away to the safety of her home. It was a strange experience; one that she wasn't sure she liked or not.

And with a mare? She'd never heard of such a thing.

The unicorn couldn't even think straight, wondering how things could've gone downhill so fast. She should've listened to Spike in the first place--just go home, that mare's crazy. But all this nonsense about how friendship is magic convinced her to give Trixie a chance.

Obviously not a good idea.

Twilight trotted up the stairs and hid in her room, mulling over when the next train to Canterlot would leave. She buried herself under the blankets and pillows.

It didn't take long before she heard a knocking on her window. She ignored it, sure that it was somepony from back at the show. The pony knocked on it a little louder, and when there was no response, opened it silently. The mare came in quietly, closing the window behind her.

"I knew you'd be here, Twilight," Spitfire said, smirking, "You should've seen the look on her face when you disappeared. Hey... You okay?" The pegasus glided over towards the unicorn, who only retreated further into the sheets.

"...No..." She admitted. Spitfire let out a laugh.

"You know what else happened? Everypony was laughing at her when she fell on her face, and she cast spells on us. Look what she did to me."

Twilight pushed the covers away and sat up. What she saw immediately made her giggle.

"Yeah, I know. I was so mad--but it is kinda funny. I didn't even know she could tell I was the captain of the Wonderbolts." Spitfire's cap that she was using to hide her fiery mane was now designed with Trixie all over it. She pulled it off and tossed it to the side. "Seriously, can't believe that was the best she could come up with."

She shook her head. "Anyway, what're you gonna do about this?"

"I don't know...Pretend to like somepony, I guess..." Twilight shrugged half-heartedly, not really sure what she was planning. The pegasus smiled.

"Pick me--I'm the obvious choice. It'd make sense since we've gotten the chance to talk alone, right? 'Sides, that Trixie has trouble written all over her."

"Funny... That's exactly what Spike said about her."

"Really? You should listen to him a little more, then. That mare's got a few loose screws, if you ask me. I was talkin' with Bon Bon, Derpy, and Spike. We knew you didn't like how things turned out, so we decided to go ahead and fake our way through this. Trixie's a fake through and through, anyway. What do you think?"

Spitfire watched her closely. Twilight's brow furrowed. "I'm studying the magic of friendship, though. Wouldn't that be a contradiction?"

"What, so you want to take this thing seriously?" It was her turn to be incredulous. "You want somepony to make you fall for them just for the sake of a competition in which you wouldn't win at all? She's obviously got something planned to even try somethin' like this. Come on, Twilight Sparks."

The unicorn frowned, thinking. There really wasn't any way she could win. If she tried to call this thing off, she wasn't sure Trixie would even listen to her. Plus, if she even saw her, she'd probably go to the extremes and kiss her again. If she took this competition seriously, then she'd end up with a broken heart or even leaving her friends. The last choice... if she faked a love for somepony, the study of friendship wouldn't have any meaning. Being truthful to friends--or possible to friends--was a must.

There wasn't a logical way this time.

"...I don't know..."

Spitfire sighed. "Look, those three are distracting her right now. All you have to do is go up to her and tell her that you have feelings for somepony. That'd shut her up pretty fast. And don't worry; she won't kiss you again."

Twilight thought it over, and decided it was the best course of action. Maybe they could be friends once Trixie knew she wasn't interested. "...Okay, Spitfire. You win."


Twilight and Spitfire made haste back to Town Hall. It seemed that Ponyville had finally gotten used to its new celebrity's presence, and she didn't really need a disguise. The hat was only used because she was in a crowd of ponies, and didn't want to risk anything.

At the show, lots of things Twilight would have rather not seen were happening. Spike was glued to the ground upside down, Bon Bon had goat horns and a goatee, and Derpy's wings were suddenly three times larger than they were beforehoof. Spitfire chuckled apologetically.

"Forgot to tell you what happened to them... Sorry." Twilight shook her head, trying to get the images out of her head. She trotted straight up to the mare responsible with a determined expression.

"There's no point to this, Trixie... I'm... I'm..." She couldn't finish, but luckily, Spitfire did. The captain glided next to her and slung a hoof over her shoulder casually.

"We're already in love. Sorry, Trix, I tried to tell ya. Looks like you'll have to find somepony else."

Trixie gave her a dry look before turning her gaze onto Twilight. Several minutes passed before she spoke.

"Prove it."

"W-What?" Twilight sputtered, her head spinning. Trixie's mischievous grin only grew as she watched the two supposed lovers.

"Prove it," she repeated, "Prove that you're actually in love."

Twilight's jaw dropped, and she could sense Spitfire's uneasiness. Her wings opened and closed on their own as she glanced at the ponies still watching them. Even Twilight could see the reason that she was hesitant--her loyalty was conflicting with her need to be the perfect pony to her fans. There was no way she could make Spitfire make that kind of decision.

"...Okay, Trixie... It's not true..."

"N-No, Twilight, it is! I'll show you who's my mare, Trixie!"

And that was when Twilight's second kiss was claimed by the captain of the Wonderbolts.


Trixie hadn't been too happy, but it definitely silenced her. She'd been suspicious at first, but the kiss was definitely convincing. However, she needed to hear it from Twilight, and she knew exactly how to do it.

"Perhaps you two are in love, but Trixie must have confirmation! Twilight Sparkle, you must prove your love for this pony." Trixie's horn lit up, and a magical aura enveloped Spitfire. The pegasus wasn't comfortable with the magic, but didn't have a chance to react before she disappeared.

Although everypony was a little dazed by the recent events, Derpy was able to recover fast enough. "Hey, where did you take Spitfire, Tricky?!"

"I am the Great and Powerful Trixie, not what you dumbly pronounce as 'Tricky.' Your friend has been transported to a safe location--I assure you--but Twilight Sparkle must prove her love if she's to--"Twilight glared at the unicorn, silencing her without a word.

"Tell me where she is, or I'll get it out of you." Despite the intimidation, Trixie maintained a cool head.

"Feisty... I like that in a mare. Trixie wants to know why you don't just give up and travel with her." The unicorn was smiling in a creepy way--in Twilight's opinion.

"Trixie, I don't like you! I don't even know you! Where's Spitfire?" The lavender mare watched her calculatingly. Trixie let out a sigh.

"Fine, say what you will. And just--just have your friend back. You could so much better, Twilight Sparkle." Spitfire dropped from the sky, hitting the stage with an audible thump. "And I'll be back. Just you wait, Twilight, I'll prove to you just how much better I am than this pegasus ruffian."

The captain finally collected herself, snarling at the unicorn. "HEY! How dare you use your magic on me! You'd better get going, 'cause nopony messes with me or my friends! I don't care about how great you think you are, or even how GREAT you think your feelings are for Twilight! I DON'T CARE! I just want you out of here right NOW!!!" Spitfire's infamous rage flared just as much as her wings did. Ponies all around cheered for her--apparently she wasn't the only one annoyed with this big-talker. Even Trixie seemed intimidated.

"Trixie will not stoop to such--"

"I said now!" Even Spitfire's friends cowered at the strength in her gaze. Twilight was even tempted to label her as having Bipony Disorder.

When the unicorn showed no signs of leaving, Spitfire took a threatening step towards her. She gulped, but stood her ground.

"Trixie is no coward!"

Bon Bon snuck around the showpony, and whispered eerily into her ear. "You know, Trixie... I heard from a friend of mine that you boasted about having defeated an Ursa Major, and when only an Ursa Minor showed up... You split town. I don't know about you, but that sounds a bit cowardly to me."

Trixie's skin crawled. "That's--That's a rumor! Nothing more than mere lies!"

Derpy nodded slowly, getting the hint. "I heard it, too! You could, um, always stay here with Twilight Spark, but I think everypony in town's heard of the rumor."

Spike could barely contain his excitement at the look of horror on Trixie's face. "Eww, you mean that Trixie?"

"...Trixie does not believe any of you. The ponies of this town adore her, see?" She motioned to what remained of her crowd. "Your lies have no affect on her. Her magic is based on illusions, so it's only natural that I would be able to see through them."

Trixie had a point, but all it did was annoy Twilight further. "Trixie, I didn't want to be mean earlier, what with my study of friendship, but I think this is on the border of stalker-ship, if that even exists. I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to leave."

"...I see, Twilight Sparkle. You do not wish to reveal our relationship to everypony. Trixie understands, and she will be back for you when she is ready to elope with you." The lavender mare's jaw dropped.

There was a lesson here, she knew. Trixie's life was so consumed with everyday tricks and illusions, that she'd lost sight of the truth. It was very saddening, and it was then that Twilight realized that chasing her out of town was not what she should be doing.

"Trixie... I'm sorry, but I don't like you that way. We can be friends, though, and maybe you could visit. Is that... Is that okay?"

Spitfire stared at Twilight incredulously, but she paid her no mind. Trixie frowned in thought, glaring at Twilight's friends.

"Trixie thinks she understands this, too. Yes, she will return, but to Twilight only. Twilight Sparkle's friends are not ponies I approve of." The looks of anger coming off of everypony else led her to glower at them, too. "However, Trixie thinks she needs to get going. Ponyville is not a place for me, and not for you either, Twilight Sparkle. I'll be back for you."

And with that, she disappeared with a flurry of magic, her magician's hat sitting where she was once standing. Twilight blinked a couple of times, unsure of how she should feel. On one hoof, she was glad she could put all of this behind her, including the rather abrupt kiss from Spitfire, but on the other...

Would Trixie be back soon?

Author's Note:

Time flies by too quickly with school... I'm sorry for the delay with this chapter, but I hope you liked it regardless! ^_^
Speaking of which, I really didn't intend for it to turn out this way. Seriously, it just kinda happened when I tried to make it different...
Oh, and Octavia and Lyra? Hangin' out at the orphanage. ;)