• Published 26th Nov 2012
  • 3,207 Views, 148 Comments

Where My Heart Lives - D4ftP0ny



Rarity takes a trip to Canterlot after the Royal Wedding, and ends up making more than dresses.

  • ...
10
 148
 3,207

An Unscheduled Appointment

“So, run this by me one more time, Rarity – why, exactly, are we helping you pack?”

Rarity rolled her eyes, a move mimicked by Twilight Sparkle who stood across from her as the two unicorns neatly folded Rarity’s belongings and packed them into one of her myriad of suitcases.

“For the absolute last time, Rainbow Dash,” Rarity said as she levitated a particularly frilly piece of clothing before her. “You’re helping me pack because I’m going to Canterlot for a month.” She eyed the item critically before nodding. With practiced ease, her blue magic creased the garment and placed it delicately into the suitcase.

From across the large main gallery of Carousel Boutique, a pile of hats that Rarity had discarded as not “Canterlot-worthy” shifted and revealed the curly-maned head of a pink pony with bright blue eyes. Pinkie Pie shook her head violently, ridding her body of the majority of the hats except three that somehow remained on her head as if she had glued them there. “That’s right, Rainbow Dash!” she chirped. “She’s going to Canterlot because everypony there has sent her letters asking for dresses and hats and outfits and everything ever since we got back from Princess Cadence’s wedding because she did such an awesometastic super-amazing job!” Pinkie giggled. “And since there are a lot of ponies in Canterlot, she decided to just go there instead of making the bajillion ponies who want dresses come out HERE!”

The white unicorn had the grace to blush ever so delicately; after all, Pinkie Pie’s compliments were always vibrant and unique. “Oh now Pinkie,” she said, waving a hoof. “Not every pony in Canterlot has sent me a letter.”

“You could have fooled me,” Twilight said with a chuckle as she folded yet another piece of clothing. She levitated the folded item into the bag before closing it with a subtle snap of the clasp. “That pile of letters I saw in your study seemed big enough to have one from at least every noble and celebrity in the whole city!” The suitcase lit up with the bright magenta of Twilight’s magical aura before lifting easily and floating over to settle next to the door. “And I’m preeeetty good at estimation,” the purple unicorn said with a nod, looking extremely pleased with herself.

Rarity smiled a little more and she couldn’t keep the excitement and pride from bubbling up into her voice. “Yes… yes it did seem that way, didn’t it,” she said airily, brushing the curl in her mane with a hoof.

A throaty meow from across the room drew Rarity’s attention. Near the back of the room, in one of the only clear spaces available, Fluttershy was ever so gently wrangling Rarity’s fluffy white cat, Opalescence, into the pet carrier she would be traveling in; after all, Rarity was going to be gone for a whole month- far too long to leave poor Opal by herself. As she watched, Fluttershy smiled at Opal with the patience and care that only she possessed and reached out a hoof, stroking the claw-happy feline from ears to tail once before tapping Opal gently on the rump.

“Come on now, Opal,” she cooed. “There’s a good kitty-kitty.” With a half-hearted hiss Opal gave Fluttershy what Rarity could only call a very definitive feline pout; however, when it became apparent that Fluttershy was not going to acquiesce, the white cat gave a flick of her tail before sauntering into the carrier as if it was her idea to go in there in the first place. Fluttershy closed the door behind Opal before turning to Rarity, her eyes full of excitement. “I’m so happy for you, Rarity,” she said, her wings fluttering gently against her sides. “I can’t imagine what this must feel like for you to finally have the chance to do what you’ve dreamed about for so long! You’ll finally have your chance to –” she blushed slightly, but when she spoke her voice was slightly boisterous and carried a bit of a strange accent, “—to SHINE all ovah Eqvestria and make ZE MAGICKS!” she said, waving a hoof importantly in the air.

Rarity giggled loudly at her friend, causing Fluttershy to blush deeper and try to hide behind her mane. “Oh Fluttershy, that was a lovely Photo Finish impersonation. Have you been working on that just for me?”

Fluttershy laughed uncertainly, clearly not sure if Rarity’s giggling was amused or condescending. “Y-yes… I have been, actually…”

“Well, it was positively marvelous, darling,” Rarity said with a toss of her mane, and Fluttershy perked up at the encouragement before the unicorn continued. “But yes, this is certainly a wonderful opportunity for me.” Rarity’s eyes widened as she spoke, visions of her future dancing before them. “Why, who knows what kinds of ponies will want dresses from moi… Nobility, actors, singers, songwriters..!” She gasped slightly. “Who knows, maybe even royalty! AGAIN!”

Fluttershy nodded, her mane bouncing merrily. “Exactly!” She smiled so broadly that she squeaked. “Oooooh, I’m so excited for you, Rarity!”

A small chuckle cut across the room, and Rarity turned towards the door just in time to see Applejack enter the Boutique, swiping a hoof across her forehead. “We’re all mighty excited for ya, Rarity,” she said as she eyeballed the sizeable stack of luggage that still sat by the door. The orange earth pony had kindly volunteered to load the wagon Rarity had rented to get her to the train station, but was starting to look like she’d regretted offering her services. “And we’re all right proud to be sendin’ ya off to Canterlot so y’all can drum up new business.” She picked up one of the nearest suitcases in her teeth and gave it a smart toss and sent it sailing through the air to land squarely atop the pile already in the wagon. “And I’ll even ignore the huge pile o’ luggage y’all are takin’- shoot, a month’s a long time to be gone from home!”

“And I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your kind understanding, Applejack,” Rarity said with a winning smile. “After all, you are quite right – a month is a VERY long time to be gone, which is why I needed to pack so much!”

Applejack rolled her eyes as she tossed another large chest onto her back. “Not that I don’t think y’all couldn’t have packed just a bit lighter,” she muttered, but Rarity didn’t hear her. The excitement was starting to well up in her again, mixing with the anticipation and worry about what was to come to create a warm flush in her cheeks.

“And I’m scheduled to open up shop in Canterlot in less than a week!” she went on, gesturing broadly in the general direction of the capital. “Fancy Pants… you all remember Fancy Pants, of course,” she said before plowing on without waiting for replies, “Fancy Pants was gracious enough to help me secure a temporary space in which I am to set up my small Canterlot extension of Carousel Boutique, but I’m afraid he didn’t give me much time to prepare.” Her nose wrinkled. The truth was that he had given her VERY little time to prepare, almost less than she needed: she’d received Fancy Pants’ letter two days ago and had spent the time since frantically trying to get things organized. “In fact, if I don’t leave today, I shan’t have the time I need to get there and get properly set up before my first clients are scheduled to arrive!”

“Which is why she came to me, asking for help,” Twilight said with a caring smile at Rarity. “I don’t think I’ve ever seen you quite as flustered as you were last night, Rarity,” she went on, folding yet another garment. “It was almost like seeing you before the Gala last year and I was very glad to lend a hoof.” She grinned. “After all, I’ve done my fair share of packing and moving.”

“Indeed you have, darling,” Rarity said, “and I don’t know how I would have done this at all without you – without ALL of you!” She gave each of her friends a thankful smile before turning back to Rainbow, who was hovering idly overhead. “Does that answer your question, Rainbow Dash?” she asked.

“Eehhhh… no.” Rainbow sighed. “I meant–,” She pointed to each of the mares in the room as she spoke, starting with Twilight. “Twi is folding and organizing.” Her hoof went to Fluttershy, who winced as if Dash had physically threatened her. “Flutters is Opal-taming, Pinkie is –,”

The party pony looked up from her hat-mountain and Rainbow sighed again.

“—doing whatever Pinkie Pie does.” She gestured to Applejack who blinked at the cyan hoof pointed at her. “AJ is loading the wagon, and you’re doing a little bit of everything, Rarity.”

The unicorn nodded, one eyebrow quirked upwards questioningly. “Yes… and?”

“So, what I meant was…” Rainbow dropped to the floor and shrugged. “Why, exactly, am I helping you pack?” Rarity, Twilight, and Applejack all sighed in vexation – of course Rainbow would say that. She’d probably rather be off napping somewhere, Rarity thought. How typical.

Pinkie Pie suddenly bounded from the pile of discarded headgear, her smile broad. “You’re moral support, Dashie!” she gushed. “Like a cheerleader!”

The Pegasus frowned at Pinkie, her ears drooping down against her mane, but Rarity had to put a hoof to her mouth to keep from laughing as she suddenly found herself imagining Rainbow Dash with her mane up in a perky, multi-hued ponytail and wearing one of those frilly outfits with the skirt and pom-poms.

“A cheerleader, Pinkie?” said Dash, her voice deadpan. “I am NOT a cheerleader. I could NEVER be one of those peppy, air-headed attention hogs.” Rainbow flicked her tail sharply as if to rid herself of the very idea.

“Heeeeyyy…” Pinkie said, her lip jutting out in a pout. “I was a cheerleader…”

Rainbow arched an eyebrow at her as if to say I rest my case, but before she could open her mouth to speak, Applejack cut in.

“Yup, Rainbow decided t’ be one o’ them angry, feather-brained attention hogs, instead!” she said with a sly grin.

“That’s right!” Rainbow said with a triumphant nod. She folded her hooves across her chest and looked incredibly smug until what Applejack had said finally sank in and she turned to give the earth pony a narrow-eyed glare. “HEY…” she began, her wings puffing out aggressively.

Suddenly, Twilight’s calm voice cut through the quickly-gathering tension like a well-kept pair of scissors. “Well, we’re glad that you’re here, no matter what it is you’re doing,” she said. Rarity smiled, and not for the first time she found herself admiring Twilight’s ability to diffuse situations. If there was ever a time when anypony questioned why Twilight was their leader in a crisis, that instinct for reacting just the right way was all that Rarity would need to refer to. Not that such a thing would ever be questioned, of course, but Rarity liked to be prepared.

“And besides,” Twilight continued, “we aren’t going to see Rarity for a whole month! You wouldn’t want to miss your chance to say goodbye to her, would you?”

Rainbow glared at Applejack for another moment before sighing and turning to Twilight with a small smile. "...of course not, Twi," she said before swiveling her magenta gaze to Rarity. "Rarity's goin' off to the big city and I wouldn't miss her send-off for anything." Her smile grew broad as she winked at Rarity. "We believe in you, Rares – it'll be a long month without you here, but we all know you're gonna do awesome in Canterlot. Just don't forget to come back!"

Rarity returned her smile, but suddenly felt the tiny pricks of tears in her eyes. She tried to clear her throat, but found it tight as she wiped a hoof delicately at her eyelashes.

"Is something wrong, Rarity?" Twilight asked, her voice full of concern, but the white unicorn merely laughed hoarsely as a tear found its way down her cheek.

"N-no, Twilight..." she whispered, turning her slightly blurred vision to all of her friends gathered around with her. "It's just... I know that I'm going to be very busy and that it's going to be a wonderful experience, but..." She sniffled and, as one, her friends converged on her, wrapping her into a huge group hug.

"We'll miss you too, sugarcube," Applejack said with a grin.

"Yeah! But you know we'll all be thinking of you and sending you all sorts of really really awesome thoughts while you're gone!" Pinkie said as she squeezed the whole group.

Rarity turned her eyes slowly to each of her friends as they hugged her and in spite of herself she sniffled loudly as she buried her face amid the tangle of legs and manes. "Oh girls..." she whispered. "Thank you all... so much." She felt a nagging emptiness in her chest at the thought of leaving her friends behind. She knew that she was certainly capable of leaving them behind – her previous trip to Canterlot had shown that perfectly well – but that trip had also made her keenly aware of how much she cared for and depended on her friends, and the prospect of being without them for a whole month was suddenly very... intimidating.

As the six mares hugged, however, Rarity felt her resolve strengthen. Her friends were behind her and she knew, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that they would be here waiting for her when she returned.

She cleared her throat as she raised her head, smiling broadly. "Thank you," she said louder. "All of you... your support means more to me than I can say."

The friends all hugged tightly for a few moments longer before breaking apart, each returning to her appointed task with gusto. Rainbow even forgot to continue to complain as she began helping Applejack load the wagon while Rarity and Twilight finished with the rest of the suitcases that needed packing.

As the last case made its way to the door, Rarity sighed and gazed out the window at the town beyond, brightly lit in the mid-afternoon sunshine. She felt more than heard Twilight step up next to her and without looking at her Rarity sighed.

"I… I am a little nervous, Twilight," she confided quietly. "I mean... I've made dresses for Canterlot ponies before, but this..." She sighed again. "There are a lot of ponies on my list a-and I'm just not sure I can do it without all of you there."

She heard the smile in Twilight's voice as her friend spoke. "We know you can do it, Rarity. We all have the utmost confidence in you and your abilities. Plus, like Rainbow said, we'll all be here when you come home."

Outside, Rainbow and Applejack finished loading the wagon, both of the ponies taking a seat next to the packed vehicle and wiping their brows with their hooves while Fluttershy fanned them with her wings.

Rarity smiled ever so slightly before nodding firmly. "And I most certainly will be coming home, Twilight. As much as I like Canterlot," she turned now and smiled at her friend, "Ponyville is my home. And I would never consider not coming back!"

"I hope not," Twilight said, concern flickering across her purple eyes briefly. "We'd all miss you terribly, Rarity... I really hope you don't change your mind."

Rarity sighed and smiled at Twilight reassuringly. "Twilight, I can tell you for a certainty that I would never consider moving to Canterlot and leaving Ponyville behind."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

...I should move to Canterlot and leave Ponyville behind.

Rarity sighed in a pleasant mixture of exhaustion and satisfaction as she walked slowly to the chair behind her sewing machine; with exaggerated slowness she turned and sat heavily down onto the soft cushion, her mane brushing against the bright red rims of her glasses as she gazed around the room in which she sat.

The room was wide and spacious with a high ceiling that gave it a cool, open feeling. A feeling that was enhanced by a wide front window which afforded Rarity a fantastic twilight view of one of the higher-class neighborhoods of Canterlot... if she could see around the myriad of ponyquins that crowded the broad space. There were several grandiosely-dressed ponyquins in the front window showing off some of Rarity's more fantastical designs, but the majority of the pony-shaped dress forms were covered in less ornate pieces. These were the dresses from her clients, almost a dozen ponyquins all in various states of construction, revision, and design.

It had been almost two weeks since she'd left Ponyville and one by one her clients had appeared, each one richer and more important than the last: politicians, actresses, singers and producers, even minor nobility had poured through her doors eager to have the same mare who had designed the dress of Princess Cadence design something just as stunning for each of them – and she was determined to do just that.

With a soft, contented sigh, Rarity flipped the curl of her mane with a hoof and turned to the sewing machine where the dress of her very latest client lay only partially begun. She squinted at the stitching critically for a long moment before nodding and pressing her hooves down onto the fabric as she began to sew again. This client, like almost all of her others, was a unicorn and she was apparently having this dress made for an event that was occurring at the end of the month; what it was, exactly, Rarity hadn't yet discovered, but she was certain that it would come up in conversation at least once in the second fitting because if there was one thing that Rarity prided herself on it was being able to get her clients to talk.

As it would happen, being in Canterlot made this task much, much easier because if there was one thing that nobility, politicians, actresses, singers, and producers all liked to do, it was talk about themselves, their business, and anything that had to do with them. A wry smile quirked her lips as she gently turned the fabric, arcing the thread along the surface as she reflected on how little she actually had to try to strike up conversation with her clients here. In Ponyville it was like pulling teeth sometimes, as if it were the most unpleasant thing in all of Equestria to have a civilized conversation with a seamstress. Here in Canterlot, however, she’d barely had to encourage her clients at all. They were extremely eager to talk about anything and everything: business, pleasure, rumors, gossip, weather, politics, and all Rarity had to do was steer the conversation wherever she pleased.

She finished the seam on the garment she was tailoring and examined her work again, ensuring that the lines were straight and that her machine was working correctly. She’d learned much about the current state of Canterlot from her clients. She’d learned that the city was still buzzing after the wedding and the Changeling attack, and that the city had been bursting with art shows, plays and musical events ever since, obviously channeling all the energy that the citizens felt. I’ve felt it, she reflected as she put the piece of half-finished clothing back to the sewing machine. I felt it the moment I stepped off the train, and I haven’t been able to stop feeling it since. It’s like a correctly applied perfume: barely tickling the edges of one’s senses, but undeniably present.

Whether the rest of Canterlot felt it or not, it was there: an energy that had soaked into Rarity and made her feel like she could do twice the amount of work that she had anticipated taking on…

…which had led to her current state of working feverishly as the sun sank in the sky outside. The unicorn sighed and pushed her glasses up her nose with a hoof. She was having a wonderful time designing these dresses and meeting her well-to-do clientele, but she knew that she was already dangerously close to overloading herself. If she took on any more clients before she was finished with some of these orders she would be pushing herself perilously close to what happened to her when she’d offered to make dresses for each of her friends for the Grand Galloping Gala. And THAT is something that I sincerely hope to avoid. She leaned close to the garment, poking critically at one of the stitches with the tip of her hoof before she slid it beneath the needle of her machine and pressed her hoof to the pedal once more.

At that moment, however, the door of her shop swung open and the small bell set over it chimed softly drawing the unicorn’s attention, if not her eyes which remained glued firmly to her current project even as she smiled winningly from behind her sewing machine.

“Welcome – to the temporary Canterlot location of the Carousel Boutique!” She said cheerfully as her hooves firmly controlled the fabric running through the machine beneath them. “I’ll be with you in just a moment!”

Silence greeted her words and it stretched on for so long that she had almost convinced herself that she’d been hearing things; finally a voice did respond, though it was almost too soft to be heard over the whirring of her machine.

“Please, take your time.” The voice was calm and measured, clearly in no hurry to say whatever it was going to, but there was something in those simple words that drew Rarity’s eyes from her work to the pony who had spoken them.

The newcomer was a mare, a dark gray pony with pitch-black mane and tail. She stood just inside the door to Rarity’s shop her front hooves crossed demurely before her. Rarity slowed her machine to a stop as she watched this new customer. Her eyes were hidden behind a gentle wave of her mane as she looked around the organized chaos that was Rarity’s workspace and with a subtle tinge of surprise Rarity noted that this mare was an earth pony. It wasn’t that she was unaccustomed to working with them – two of her best friends were earth ponies and she loved them both dearly – but here in Canterlot, a city most famous for its unicorn population it was unusual to see an earth pony who wasn’t part of some larger group. Usually such ponies were mere hangers-on, trying to curry favor with a celebrity. She looks like she would rather die than do such a thing, Rarity thought.

“And what is the name under which your appointment has been booked, miss?” asked Rarity as she stepped away from her sewing machine.

The earth pony was silent for another long moment, her eyes still hidden from Rarity’s view. Then, with a gentle, practiced motion she tossed her mane out of her face before turning her luminous violet eyes to the seamstress.

“I’m afraid I don’t have an appointment,” the mare answered in the same measured tone as before, as if she were not only considering the words she said but the rhythm with which she said them. “I heard that you were in the city and had a free moment in my schedule to stop in.” The mare took several steps into the shop now, her hoofsteps just as careful and measured as her voice. Her violet eyes wandered the room once more before finding Rarity’s again. “I was hoping to have a dress made for an event at the end of the month and it would certainly be…” she paused a moment, as if she were tasting the words before she said them. “It would be an honor to have a dress made by you, Miss Rarity.”

Rarity felt pride well up in her chest, but she kept her face carefully neutral. Her eyes swept the mare again, mentally taking measurements even as she debated with herself. She was very close to biting off more than she could chew, as the saying went. She had enough dresses to keep her well and truly busy for the next several weeks and would have very little time for walk-ins regardless of how badly she wanted to take care of each and every pony who walked through her doors.

But what kind of mare would I be, what kind of designer would I be if I turned down a client, ANY client, no matter how busy it would make me? She thought as she suppressed a sigh. That would make a fantastic impression upon Canterlot: Rarity, the element of Generosity turns down earth pony client. Rarity glanced at the setting sun outside before turning back to the other mare with a coy smile. I suppose there’s only one thing to do: let’s see what this mare has to say for herself, shall we?

“Well, I’m afraid that I have many clients to tend to,” she said, brushing her mane with a hoof in a gesture that she knew very well implied a great deal of self-importance. “I have so many ponies vying for my attention, so many letters that were sent ahead of time that I’ve had to press my schedule to its limits!” She sighed in a vaguely dramatic fashion. “I guess what I’m trying to say, darling, is I’m just not sure if I have time for you if you haven’t already made an appointment.” Rarity’s sapphire eyes appeared casual as she met the mare’s gaze, but she was watching the other pony intently.

The gray mare’s demeanor didn’t change as she met Rarity’s eyes and when she spoke her voice was the same deliberate tempo as before. “I thought you might be busy,” she said, “but fortunately, I don’t believe that the dress I would like will take too much of your time. I want something simple and elegant—” her purple eyes went to the ponyquins at the front window and when she turned back Rarity was surprised to see a touch of temerity in their amethyst depths, “—nothing like that garish plumage you have in the front window.”

Rarity’s face remained friendly and smiling even as she felt her eye twitch ever so slightly and her interest in what this mare had to say click off completely. The nerve! Those are some of my most couture designs! Edgy! Fashionable! Complicated! It was all the unicorn could do to keep from huffing in indignation… but this pony was still a potential client, no matter how busy Rarity knew she was and no matter how little she actually wanted to help the simple gray mare now. The unicorn nodded.

“Well, those are dresses made specifically for unicorns and they are a great deal more complicated than a dress I would make for you.” She smiled sweetly. “Unicorns can handle much more complex designs than pegasi or earth ponies can. Anything I make for you would be decidedly more… simplistic.” There was nothing inherently insulting about Rarity’s words, but she knew that they could be taken as an insult… and quite frankly she didn’t care if they were right then. This pony had the audacity to walk into her shop, ask for a dress, and then ridicule some of her most fantastical designs! She deserved insults that were much more than “thinly veiled”.

To Rarity’s surprise the mare simply cracked the barest hint of a smile and her eyes sparked with mirth. “Miss Rarity, I have seen your clients – it is a miracle that some of them have the coordination and concentration to tie a bonnet, much less be able to get themselves into one of your more grandiose visions.” Her smile quirked just slightly, at the corner of her mouth. “In fact, I’m quite certain that most of them would end up tied in a knot if they attempted to wear those.”

Normally, Rarity took great offense if anypony insulted her patrons, especially if they were as rich and influential as they were here in Canterlot – after all, one never knew who might be watching – but there was something about the way this mare spoke, about the simple, matter-of-fact way she presented the idea of her clients tied up neatly in one of her grand dresses that Rarity couldn’t stop herself. Her hoof shot to her lips to stop the giggle from bursting out and only half-succeeded resulting in a very unladylike giggle-snort that seemed to echo in the silent room for much longer than it should have.

Rarity froze in place for a heartbeat, her blue eyes locked on the other mare and to her horror she felt her cheeks begin to heat slightly with the fires of embarrassment. Oh for the love of Celestia… a fantastic impression to make on potential clients, Rarity!!

Finally, the unicorn mustered what little dignity she had left and lowered her hoof, managing to look affronted rather than embarrassed about the whole situation as she cleared her throat with a loud humph!

“It is impolite to speak of others in such a manner,” she said simply. “Especially when one does not know said others and is merely judging them on appearances alone.”

The mare watched her closely for a moment and Rarity had to fight to remain still beneath her penetrating gaze. It felt as though this earth pony was staring right through her to see the very judgmental thoughts Rarity had harbored about her when she had first walked through the door. However, after several moments of silence the mare nodded infinitesimally.

“As you say,” she said in that same, perfectly measured timbre. “I did not mean to offend.”

Rarity tossed her mane as she turned back towards her sewing machine. “None taken from me, but do be mindful of your tongue. My mother used to tell me that a wayward tongue could do more damage than a wayward sword.” She heard the mare behind her exhale loudly and when she spoke it was easy to hear the smile in her words.

“Your mother sounds like a smart mare,” she said simply. “I shall try to endeavor to do just that.” Rarity heard the gentle scuffling of hooves across the tile in her shop, and after a few moments of silence the mare spoke again. “You never answered my question,” she said.

Rarity tossed her mane again as she glanced over her shoulder and smiled coyly. “You never asked a question, darling.”

The mare’s eyes narrowed ever so slightly, but the tiny hint of smile returned to her lips as she sighed. “No, I suppose I did not.” She shifted on her hooves again and looked pensive for a moment, as if she was trying to choose her words perfectly. “Miss Rarity, would you please allow me the honor of wearing one of your creations?” she asked quietly. “As I said, I have an event that I am to attend at the end of this month and I was hoping that you would be kind enough to make a dress for me.”

Again Rarity’s pride swelled. I’ve never had anypony refer to wearing my dresses as an honor… is it really an honor?

“Well…” Rarity sighed and shifted on her hooves. “Truth to tell, I actually AM very, very busy…” She let her eyes wander over the mare’s figure, ideas already dancing in her mind as she smiled. “But I will do it.”

The other mare’s shoulders dropped noticeably, as if she had been holding her breath the entire time and only now let it out. She sighed, and when she brought her eyes back to Rarity’s relief and happiness shone in them.

“Thank you, Miss Rarity,” she said softly. “Thank you.”

“Please, drop this whole ‘miss’ business – just Rarity is fine,” she said with a wave of her hoof. “And think nothing of it. It will be my pleasure to make something fabulous for you to wear…” She trailed off before gesturing to the other mare with a hoof. “Though you will have to tell me your name so I can write you into the book; I’m afraid I can’t just write down gray mare in the appointment slot.”

The other mare’s smile broadened slightly and Rarity’s ears twitched as the barest hint of breathy laughter touched them.

“I suppose not,” she conceded.

Rarity hurried to her desk, which sat on the opposite side of the room from the sewing machine and with a flare of sapphire blue magic her appointment book whirled from the side drawer, landing smartly in the center of the desktop with a gentle thwump. Rarity’s magic danced over the cover and pages, flipping them quickly until she found the first empty spot, a week out almost to the day. She smiled happily and picked up the quill that sat next to the book.

“Now,” she said, pressing the quill to the page, “what name shall I put down?” The mare smiled at her again, her eyes meeting Rarity’s squarely.

“My name is Octavia,” she said.

Rarity smiled. Octavia… “A beautiful name,” she commented as she scribbled the name in her book. “And I promise that your dress shall live up to that beautiful name!” She closed the book and turned back to Octavia with a radiant smile. “And NOW, Octavia: let us begin!”