• Published 17th Feb 2013
  • 2,112 Views, 48 Comments

Illa Novo Incipit - Darkswirl



The Librarian offers Cortana a chance to live outside of the DigiRealm in Equestria, and The Mantle.

  • ...
3
 48
 2,112

New Enemies and Old Friends

Could you sacrifice me to complete your mission? Could you watch me die?

Cortana shook her head violently as she found herself in the presence of the white alicorn and the box once more. Her form still glowed blue, but something was off about the Alicorn. It stood before Cortana, wounds still littering it's body, but it didn't look in pain. Instead, it seemed to ignore its wounds completely.

And then, it opened its eyes.

«=(Ӂ)=»

All was peaceful in the Canterlot Royal Archives. Princess Luna was the only living being that inhabited the large room, save for two guards near the entrance and the elderly librarian at the desk.

Reading had always been one of Luna's favorite subjects, and one of the only good things about being banished for one thousand years was that when she returned she had enough literature to last her a lifetime!

Luna went to turn the page with her hoof, only to be startled into setting the book ablaze when her sister, Princess Celestia, crashed through the wall and several bookcases before exiting through the opposite wall.

Blinking once in confusion before regaining herself, she abandoned her book and set off for her sister, not noticing the blue bipedal that trailed behind her...

«=(Ӂ)=»

You have been called upon to serve.

You will be the protectors of Earth and all her colonies.

There will be a great deal of hardship on the road ahead.

You will become the best we can make you.

These words echoed through Cortana's head. But this time, it was simply her memory speaking rather than the distorted voice of the Flood fragment and the Forerunner A.I.

Cortana stared in horror at the creatures eyes: red orbs crackling with black sparks. The Forunner A.I. and the Gravemind fragment had taken over the poor creatures body. But what now? What would it do?

Cortana found her answer when six separate flashes made themselves known to the pair; signalling the Crystal's recognition of a threat and immediate use of the world's teleportation grid.

The now-possessed Alicorn bared its teeth in anger before taking off down the hall.

Cortana gave chase.

«=(Ӂ)=»

"Sister! Control thyself!" Luna barked as she neared on her elder sibling.

Celestia, of course, was not in control of her body and could not hear while the Rampancy ignored the cries of protest.

Just when she had neared Celestia's flank and attempted to grab hold of her tail to stop her, Celestia vanished from sight- leaving Luna to crash into the wall and nearly fly out the window into Equestria, below.

Now, struggling with an incredible headache and a racing heart, Luna found it immensely painful and difficult to pen an important letter to a certain Ponyville resident. But the letter would be written, and the Bearers would be called.

«=(Ӂ)=»

"Stop right there, criminal scum!" an armor-clad Unicorn called out as it chased after Cortana. But she didn't have time for that- the fate of this entire world, every living thing within the shield world, was at risk if she didn't stop her Rampancy before it found the Crystals and enacted whatever plan it had hatched.

As she turned a corner, following the debris that was left in Celestia's wake, she suddenly came face-to-face with the dark alicorn from her visions in the Crystals, smacking her head against the others' rather painfully.

"Guards! Seize this creature!" it barked, flaring its wings and lowering it's head to stab at Cortana in case she attacked.

"Wait, you have to listen to me!" Cortana pleaded. "The white Alicorn, it's being possessed! We have to stop it!"

This caught the dark Alicorn off guard, who lifted its head momentarily in surprise before brandishing her horn once more after the Guard arrived.

"And what would thou knowst of our sister's predicament?"

"...I know exactly what happened to her, and I know what she's after now. Please, we have to go after her and stop her from letting the Flood in!"

"The Flood? There is nay a great body of water nearby to produce such a thing that would be devastating."

Cortana gripped her head in frustration. "No, you idiot! The Flood isn't water! It's a parasite! It consumes sentient life!"

A deadly silence fell over the group as Cortana collapsed on the floor into a sitting position, holding herself tightly and rocking back and forth. "I wont let this happen again...Not another race...Not another capture...I wont let the Gravemind torture me..."

"What was our sister seeking?"

Cortana lifted her gaze from the floor to see the dark Alicorn standing before her; wings folded along her side.

"In a back room you have a box full of Crystals." Cortana began.

"The Elements of Harmony? Why would our sister seek those if she is to be evil?" Princess Luna interrupted before quickly apologizing.

"I don't know, but it's not your sister! She's being possessed by the leader of the Flood and something else. I-I'm not sure how to stop it, but we have to catch it first before it starts whatever it's planning." Cortana shouted desperately, hoping that the dark alicorn would do something other than standing around and wasting time.

"Nay. If it is us against my sister, we wouldn't stand a chance. Her magic is far greater than my own and, even as strange as you are, I doubt you could do much against the Goddess of the Sun." Princess Luna denied calmly. "We will wait for the Bearers of the Elements of Harmony to arrive before we will take action."

"You don't understand; if that thing hat's inside her head gets what it's after, then your entire planet will be food for the Flood! Every living creature that can think for itself will be nothing more than a fleshy pod if we just stand here!"

Princess Luna shifted her wait nervously as Cortana awaited an answer. Ultimately, however, the dark alicorn stood firm to her plan and remained waiting.

Cortana had had enough.

«=(Ӂ)=»

"Hello?! Anypony?!" Celestia shouted, her voice echoing throughout whatever prison she was now currently trapped within.

She recognized the swirling expanse of stars all around her as she floated away, but none of the constellations matched those she had seen previously. Instead, she could recognize Canis Major, Canis Minor, Ursa Major, Ursa Minor, and scores of others that littered her sister's beautiful night sky.

But she could see no planet or any large body of anything.

Just stars...

Endless stars...

«=(Ӂ)=»

"Dear Twilight Sparkle," Twilight read aloud as soon as all of her friends had gathered in the library. "I regret to inform you that my sister, Princess Celestia, has possibly gone mad. Earlier today she burst through a wall into the Royal Archives, setting ablaze several tomes. Her eyes were bloodshot and I believe I saw lines of black throughout her mane, but I could not be sure. She vanished in thin air without the use of her magic, so I fear that Nightmare Moon or another being like her has returned. By royal decree, I am summoning you and your friends to Canterlot immediately. Her Royal Majesty, Princess of the Night: Princess Luna."

An air of dreadful silence and slight fear overcame the library before Rainbow Dash spoke up. "Princess Celestia lost it? Something doesn't sound right there."

"Reckon she's right, Twi- but Princess Luna called fer us, so let's get goin' before it's too late."

"B-But what abut my animals? I couldn't just leave them on such short notice, and be gone for however long!" Fluttershy squeaked in worry.

"Fluttershy, I'm sorry, but the fate of Equestria depends on us getting to Canterlot and finding Princess Celestia right now. Everypony ready? I've only done a mass teleportation spell once before, and it wasn't as big of a distance as Canterlot..." Twilight said awkwardly.

In truth, everypony in the room was nervous- but not because they doubted their friend's ability to pull of such a dangerous spell, but because they were practically hunting down an apparently enraged alicorn who could control the sun.

Everypony gathered in a close circle around Twilight Sparkle, whose horn lit up with purple energy that slowly enveloped the ponies around her.

In an instant, the library was empty.

«=(Ӂ)=»

"I said stand down!" a Royal Guard shouted as he held his ground before the pulsing bipedal.

Cortana struggled to control herself as her body let off low levels of gamma radiation.

These creatures just don't understand! she thought. They don't realize what the Flood can do- what it will do -if that white alicorn gets away!

A small popping sound could be heard behind Cortana, and a bright flash accompanied it.

"Whoa!" a cheery voice sounded. "That tickled Oh, oh, do it again, Twilight! Do it again!"

As Cortana turned around to deal with the new potential threat, she found herself staring into the blue eyes of a pink equine, who jumped into the air as she took a huge breathe of air that sounded like a gasp.

"Reclaimer!"

Comments ( 35 )

1658701 Yes, she is in a physical form. I'm still toying with the idea of whether or not to give her some of her old "powers".

1658701 Chapter's finished. Let me know what you think of the plot twist. :trollestia:

Did Pinkie just say Reclaimer?:applejackunsure:

2135248 Indeed, she just did :3

Whoa bro...

Just whoa.

Instafave.

Dear author, I have to say that you have definitely piqued my interest so far!

Can't tell if Pinkie is just being Pinkie, or is a Forerunner sleeper cell... :rainbowderp:

Guilty Spark? Just what have you been up to? Great chapter, hope to see more of this story soon, keep goin and stay golden^^

2143019 Guilty Spark? Huh?

2144728
When you say reclaimer, I immediately think Guilty Spark. Throw in the fact he was always a bit quirky and that I doubt he'd wager the future of Halo on a simple fist fight, it makes me think he might have had a back up plan. He had a crap ton of melenia to research Halo and the forerunner's legacy. He could have done what the librarian did with Cortana and Chief on a smaller scale, by creating a generic line of ponies to act in his stead should a reclaimer appear in this world... of course this is speculation....

2145019 Nah. Guilty Spark was destroyed, this I'm sticking to.

2146668
Alright then... although what I did say does sound like the idea for a new story...

Spoiler Alert:
343 Guilty Spark is in the second book of THE FORERUNNER SAGA "Primordium". Let just say he's not done yet

2151861 As cool as that may be, Guilty Spark is dead in my story.

2151861 Haha, while that is true, he is so damaged he can only tell them his story. Afterwards, his remains are sent out to space.

2155067 I read the book, only his robotic shell was sent into space.

2155115 Yea the Actual AI 343 Guility Spark high jacked and entire UNSC starship and crew in an attempt to do a rescue mission of the Librarian.

Really good story so far!

:facehoof: Why do I have the feeling that Pinkie Pie is this shield world's Monitor!

so when is the next chapter?:rainbowderp:

2332838 Unknown, sorry :c

2332870aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww:applecry:

2332870 Do you think you can take a break from KIA and do this story? This story seems more interesting seeing as Cortana didn't die and she is now in Equestria and is trying to stop the flood from taking over the planet.

2632611 If you get what I am saying, it is that there is more action in this story rather than Noble Six just sitting in a cell with a language barrier between the two races

How the heck did i reply to my own comment when I never clicked it? and I clicked the owner's name for the first comment not Foxi. So what the heck is going on?

2632619 I see what you're saying, and I'll see what I can do.

of course :facehoof: pinkie:pinkiehappy:

3006710 You're the 36th commenter. :applejackunsure:

Well, other than some extremely minor errors, this story is phenomenal! :pinkiehappy:

I'm seriously digging the mental process that created it, going to have to check out some of your other work... For science... :pinkiecrazy:


Btw, faved.

Good story, any plans on continuing?

5402991 Nope, sorry. The story has been marked as cancelled, and it's up for adoption. More details on my profile page.

5403793 Oooh.. Didn't see that.

wait! wait! hold it! hold it! HOW THE HAY DOES PINKIE KNOW ABOUT THE RECLAIMERS!
OH right pinkie logic forgot about that for a second HEHE opps.

9194617
In the story, Pinkie was actually the Monitor of whatever I even made this to be. So, she was Forerunner in disguise. This story won't be completed, btw.

Login or register to comment