• Published 18th Nov 2012
  • 32,570 Views, 4,346 Comments

The Tales of Prince Onyx - Stanislas



[Celestia found a human baby in her garden and decided to keep it.]

  • ...
299
 4,346
 32,570

PreviousChapters Next
44-Final chapter:season 1: Final part Twilight

Chapter 44

Final Chapter: Season 1: Last part


30 minutes before Twilight enters the ballroom

Twilight had been more than frustrated ever since the opening of the Gala. She and her mentor had done nothing other than greeting aristocrats; even though she understood why Celestia couldn’t converse with her, Twilight wished for a miracle to occur. If Shining Armor came by, she could use her little sister charms to persuade him into welcoming all those guests.

She took another look at the endless line of ponies and realised she would not have one moment alone with her teacher that whole night and instead would have to find Onyx.

“Welcome to you, Spinwirl, I hope you enjoy yourself,” chimed Celestia to a blue unicorn. She briefly shook his hoof before another pony walked up. Unlike the others, the pony looked terrified as if he’d seen a ghost.

“Are you okay, my little pony?” asked the concerned Celestia.

“N-N-Nightmare Moon!” shrieked the unicorn, and he ran down the stairs and out the doors, followed by a few others, all screaming about death, doom, and the end of times.

Celestia and Twilight both stayed there, mouths agape, not understanding what happened until they heard somepony crying. They turned to see Luna in tears behind them.

“I... but I... I just—” Luna choked between sobs. She hid her face and ran back toward her room, leaving Celestia, Twilight, and the shocked crowd of ponies behind her.

***

Luna cried in anguish as she assaulted the pillow on her bed. Each strike only made her upset, and the more upset she was, the harder she pummeled the pillow. Hot, salty tears still flowed down her face. Onyx was wrong; she should have just stayed in her room.

Someone knocked at the door.

“What!?” bawled the moon goddess as she threw her pillow against the door. “Go away! I want to be alone!”

“Sister, it’s me. Please let me in,” Celestia gently replied from the other side.

Luna did not wish to talk, but she needed to get something off her chest. Celestia entered.

“Are you alright, Lulu?” asked Celestia. Luna heard her sister’s worry.

“Yes, I’m fine. Everything is fine. Is that all you wanted? I have a lot of things to do here alone in my room.” Luna harshly answered.

“Luna, please don’t play this game with me... We both know how you really feel right now.”

“No! That’s the problem!” Luna yelled at her sister. “You think you know how I feel, but you don’t. Everypony has always loved you more than me, ever since we were fillies. Mother gave you more freedoms and bragged about your grades. You understand nothing! Just leave me be and return to your student.”

Celestia recoiled in shock and thought she felt her heart skip a beat when she heard her sister’s pained, hurtful words. Sure, their mother may have given her more attention at times, but she loved her daughters equally. Celestia never knew Luna’s jealousy started when they were fillies.

“I you must know, I sent Twilight to the ballroom with Onyx... It was so I could have all the time I wanted to be with my little sis,” Celestia softly said. “Speaking of Onyx, where is he? He promised to stay with Luna tonight... He had better have a good reason for breaking his word.”

***

Twilight Sparkle scanned the ballroom, looking everywhere for Onyx. She was nervous; it would be the first time they’d been seen outside of Ponyville. What would others say about them? Before that could happen, she would have to find him first.

She was searching around the gala and bumped into a white unicorn walking absent-mindedly in her direction. “Ouch! Oh so sorry, I was not paying attention. Are you alright...—Twilight!” exclaimed Fleur de Lis when she recognized her. She helped her from the floor and brushed any dust from her coat.

“Thank you Fleur,” said Twilight, back on her hooves, “do you know where Onyx is? He said he would be at a table near the stage, but I couldn’t find him anywhere,” Twilight said in one breath.

Fleur giggled at Twilight’s reaction before she answered, “I saw him conversing with a gryphon outside in the garden. She seemed angry, although I don’t know why. They have been out there for a while... I wonder what she wanted.”

Everything was clear to Twilight; the gryphon had to be a spy sent by the Gryphon Emperor to take back Onyx, but after a second thought she found the idea absurd.

“Thanks Fleur, I’ll go find him.”

“Yes, I hope you enjoy dancing with him as much as I did!” called Fleur before going back to her husband. Twilight heard the last statement but did not pay it much attention.

She wandered out to the Royal Gardens. She couldn’t wait for their dance together, feeling his arms around her and rocking back and forth to the slow music—and perhaps a bit more later that night.

Abruptly interrupting her fantasies, she saw the most horrifying scene: Onyx was there, kissing somepony else behind her back. She heard her heart shatter within her breast. Tears welled up and rolled down her cheeks as she stared. Clenching her teeth, she tore off a nearby tree branch and clocked the gryphon who fell to the ground unconscious.

“You... you jerk! You m-monster! Why Onyx!?” Twilight yelled at the mortified prince, tears flowing down from her eyes.

"I come find you outside, and what do I see, you cheating on me with some harpie!? Don’t ever talk to me again, Onyx of the Sun, or I swear to Faust that I’ll have you thrown in a dungeon, even if you are Celestia’s adopted freak!”

“T-Twillight... wait—”

Before Onyx could explain himself, Twilight hopping through teleports spells until she got home , leaving the prince alone with an unconscious gryphon and shocked onlookers.

In Ponyville Twilight collapsed in her bed, crying every tear into her soaked pillow.

***

Celestia slowly closed the door to Luna’s room behind her without sound. After their talk, Celestia promised she would try everything in her power to get the ponies to stop fearing her sister. It was relaxing just to be with each other and talk about family.

It was time to prepare for the Council. Leaving her sister behind, Celestia trotted off in the direction of Onyx’s room. Knowing her son and student’s relationship, Celestia hoped she would not be interrupting Twilight and Onyx. She would have a little discussion about breaking promises.

On her way she saw Shining Armor, still in his purple namesake, giving yet another goodbye kiss to his fiancee.

“Promise me you’ll be careful.”

“I promise,” answered Shining as he ended their embrace. Celestia felt something close to envy for Cadance; it had been more than a millennia since she last enjoyed the company of a coltfriend—somepony with whom she could cuddle during the night, confide her feelings, or comfort her after a long day buried in work—even gods had needs from time to time.

Vanquishing the last of any lewd thoughts, she arrived at the doorstep of her son’s bedroom. Knocking three times, she awaited an answer but nothing came; she tried a second time without success. Feeling a bit worried, she opened the door. He wasn’t there

“Where is he?” groaned Celestia as she returned to the hall. She asked if anypony knew where he was. She explicitly told him to be ready to leave and waiting for her at midnight.

***

While his mother tried to locate him, Onyx was outside in the garden Celestia found him in when he was a baby. He’d been sobbing quietly as he replayed what Twilight said over and over in his head. Throughout his life he had been called a monster more than once but never by someone he considered part of his family, if he really ever had a family. Twilight’s deep-cutting words physically hurt and made him question if he should even live with ponies.

“Without me here, Mother would not need to go to the Council, and I wouldn't have broken Twilight’s heart. Maybe I should leave… maybe I don’t belong,” though the brooding prince.

“No… No, it isn’t my fault. Axandrea is the reason Twilight is heartbroken. It’s the Emperor’s fault Celestia is forced into the Council, not mine.” Onyx stood tall with newfound passion.

“Strong Shield always told me to be strong, and I shall. Tonight, the Council; tomorrow, Twilight!”

Author's Note:

A little one this time. Now i shall return the other fic who wait after me. The next Chapter of ToPO shall be the last one of season one.


Little tiny quiz: Who best villian in this story? Chrysalis, Trixie, Emperor or Strong Shield?

PreviousChapters Next