• Published 18th Nov 2012
  • 32,671 Views, 4,346 Comments

The Tales of Prince Onyx - Stanislas



[Celestia found a human baby in her garden and decided to keep it.]

  • ...
299
 4,346
 32,671

PreviousChapters Next
39-Philomena

Chapter 39

Philomena


13th of Gryflius, 987 years after the NMM Incident

Celestia was sitting at her desk, reading a royal summons from some other kingdom that she received that morning; Onyx, her son for seven years, was on the floor, playing with a stuffed animal. She took a brief break from reading all that boring stuff to take a look at him.

“Mommy, want to play?” asked Onyx, showing her his tiger stuffed animal.

“Sorry, Onyx, but Mommy has a lot of work to do,” said Celestia—even though she would’ve loved nothing more than to play with him.

“...Okay..,” Onyx moped, understanding why.

Celestia, not wanting to see her son so upset, decided to use what she called “Plan PH.” “But, I do know someone who can play with you,” said Celestia, rising from her seat and opening the birdcage near the wall. She reached in and held Philomena in her hoof. Onyx, seeing the fire bird free returned his good mood and brought out his Philomena plushie.

“Philo wanna’ play?” he said, holding the stuffed animal in his arms.

“Yes, Philo want to play,” said Celestia, leaving Philomena close to her son and returning to her work. The bird approached the kid before she flew around him and landed on his shoulder, making the young prince laugh. The bird then landed in front of him, suspiciously eyeing the plush who looked like her. Taking advantage of Philomena’s inattention, Onyx hugged her.

Celestia raised her head from the scroll when she heard her pet caw. The phoenix was trying to break free from Onyx, who was still hugging her; feathers were flying all around them.

“ONYX! You’re hurting her; release her now!” Onyx, unaware of what he was doing wrong, obeyed his mother. Her tone scared him; small tears welled in his blue eyes. The bird perched herself on a bust in the room, out of Onyx’s reach.

Seeing her son crying, Celestia joined Onyx on the floor and hugged him. “Shhhhh... Don’t cry, Onyx. I didn’t want to yell at you, but when animals cry out like that it means they are being hurt and you should listen to them. I don’t think you’d like being held by somepony and not being free to leave, right?”

“I-I’m sorry, M-Mommy … I didn’t know...” said Onyx between his tears, burying his face in the soft fur of his mother’s chest. Celestia knew that her son didn’t mean to hurt her pet, but he needed to learn that animals aren’t plushes or toys; they have feeling and he needs to respect them. She teleported the bag of phoenix food into her hooves and poured a small portion.

“Look, Sweetie, you could go ask her to forgive you by giving her this.” Onyx nodded before cupping the bird seed between his two little hands. He slowly went in the direction of where Philomena was perched and showed her the seeds. Philomena looked between him and the food; her stomach said to go to the boy, but her brain told her to be careful.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to hurt you,” apologized Onyx. The phoenix didn’t understand what was these words meant, but his voice was calm and reassuring, so she glided from the statue and landed at Onyx’s feet. He sat on his knees and held out his hands. Philomena bent her head and slowly walked towards the Prince; when her beak was within reach of his hand, she took one small bite of food before quickly backing away—in case the boy wanted to grab at her again. Seeing that the prince hadn’t moved, she stood closer to him and ate without fear of being captured again.



Celestia carried a tired Onyx on her back to his room; he and Philomena had been playing in the gardens all day and were both exhausted. Even princes needed a nap. To her great relief, the flaming bird was no longer scared by her son—they had even shared part of his lunch. She slid Onyx into bed with her magic, and returned some order to his room by tucking all of his plushies in at his side before kissing him on the forehead. But when she turned to leave her son alone, Philomena, who was perched on her back, watching what she was doing during all this time, decided to join Onyx in his bed. She tossed away his phoenix plushie and took its place, just beside the head of the little prince.

“Are you sure you want to stay there?” asked the white alicorn. The phoenix made a little noise with the tone of voice that said she wished to stay. It was with a smile that she closed the door to the room, wishing sweet dreams to her son and pet.



Late in the afternoon when Onyx woke up, the immortal bird was still there, covering Onyx’s shoulder with her left wing; she nuzzled him and in her language, wishing him a good afternoon. Onyx, who did not understand, did not move, for fear of scaring her. Philomena, seeing that her new friend was still a little nervous around her, plucked a primary feather from her wing and gave it to Onyx. He held it up, slowly admiring its pure, almost-glowing red. At the same time, Celestia entered the bedroom to check on her son and was surprised when she saw him holding the phoenix’s feather.

“You know, Onyx, when a phoenix gives you one of their feathers, it means that they trust you and will be a loyal friend,” said Celestia, standing by his bed.

Ever since that day, Onyx had always kept that feather with him; he and Philomena had never ceased to be friends. Onyx swore that they could even understand each other.



“Onyx...? Are you alright?” Twilight asked her coltfriend. The two were lying in her bed, tired after their romp in the park earlier that night. She had just given him a necklace adorned with a red feather that she made for him. Onyx was holding it, staring blankly; he hadn’t moved for a few moments.

“...Oh. Sorry, Twiley … it’s just this necklace brought back a few memories of me and Philo... Thank you, again, Twiley,” he said, putting the necklace around his neck and kissing his marefriend one last time before they went to sleep.

Author's Note:

Here you, this chapter is one of my favorite because i miss the time when i was writing these chapter with young Onyx. So here what i will do, if you liked it and want more of these chapter, say it in the comment bellow and if i saw the majority of my fan wanting this well...i will do it....

PreviousChapters Next