• Published 18th Nov 2012
  • 32,671 Views, 4,346 Comments

The Tales of Prince Onyx - Stanislas



[Celestia found a human baby in her garden and decided to keep it.]

  • ...
299
 4,346
 32,671

PreviousChapters Next
24-Onyx and Blueblood

Chapter 24

Onyx and Blueblood.

Chapter 24

Onyx and Blueblood.


Onyx spent most of the day in his bedroom until it was time for supper; he was still upset. He was sad to have lost Twilight; sure she wasn’t that far from Canterlot, but for him it was as if she was sent to the other side of Equestria. He was angry with himself for losing control; he tried to find Trixie so he could apologize, but couldn’t find her. Onyx asked a few of the guards if they had seen her, but they all said that they last saw her as she left the castle.

When Onyx entered the dining room, he was already in a crappy mood to say the least.


Celestia and Luna were already at the table and were patiently waiting for him. The table was filled many different kinds of food; it had some apple stew, green salads, many jars of cider, wine, bread with butter, olives and a variety cheeses, alfalfa, hay, different kinds of the traditional vegetables; like carrots, lettuce, onions etc. On the left side of the table, Onyx could see meat; some turkey in a brown sauce, red steak and a rabbit stew. At the sight of all this food, Onyx momentary forgot his bad mood; he seated himself at the table on Celestia’s left, who was at the extremity of the table and beside her was the pony that was the ‘talk of the morning.’

Onyx, like always, took a cup of cider, and waited for his mother to give him an explanation for the mare who attacked him this morning and now was at the table with them.

“Mother, could you tell me why we have a stranger at our table?” he asked politely, not wanting to be shot again by the dark mare.

Celestia took a deep breath before she started to explain to him who her sister was.

“Onyx, I would like to present to you my sister, Luna. She’s the one who usually controls the moon... She is back from a long vacation, and, just like you, she came back home.”

Onyx wanted more information about Luna, like where she was before today, why she had attacked him this morning and why, if she is the ruler of the moon, his mother has had to do her job since he was born. But from the look in Celestia’s eyes, it looked like she wanted to say more, but he knew what to do; ‘Don’t ask and eat if you don’t want to get trouble.’ Onyx nodded at his mother’s short explanation and filled his plate with some turkey, bread, and cheese.

Luna looked at him eating meat with a suprised look.

“Thou art eating dead animal?!” She exclaimed, shocked.

“And you, you speak as if you have a cucumber up your-OUCH!” Celestia stomped Onyx’s foot under the table, preventing the insult to her sister.

“I mean... Yes, I eat meat. It’s mainly to stay healthy but this still has a good taste.” Luna tried to ignore the sight of Onyx eating his meat and took some hay with a carrot and a bowl of apple stew, all accompanied by a glass of wine. Onyx looked surprised to see Luna drinking wine, which of course she saw, and felt compelled to comment on.

“What!? Just because we are a mare, we can’t drink wine?” She asked in a harsh tone.

“No, no, forget it.” Onyx answered back, not wanting to continue the conversation. However, Luna didn’t want to stop.

“And why art thou drinking cider? Art thou still a little foal who can’t stand adult drinks?” Celestia tried to pinch her sister with her magic to let her know that she didn’t appreciate how she was acting, but Luna blocked her with a small magical shield.

“For your information, it’s not that I can’t stand beer or cider, but I can’t drink it; unfortunately, ponies add lots of salt to it, and it’s hazardous to my health. AND! This wine is by far much stronger and better tasting, than your pathetic cider.” Celestia really didn’t like where this was going, and she attempted to change the conversation.

“How are you both finding the alfalfa, it’s really fresh tonight.” Both Onyx and Luna looked at her as if she had just said that she was in love with a sheep.

“Mother, you know that I don’t like that stuff.”

“Even if we had been gone all this time, we would have thought that thou wouldst remember that we hate it too.”

All of them continued to eat in silence until Luna rose from her seat and went into the kitchen; when she came back she had with her a bottled breverage, with to Onyx, unknown contents.

“Lulu, please, this is not the time; I’m not in the mood for one of your challenges, especially not this one.” Luna ignored her sister and sat back down at her seat as she served 3 glasses of the bottled liquid.

“Hush sister of ours, we have not played this game in a long time and we want to know if thou and Onyx are strong enough for our challenge.” Onyx who was now curious, put aside his plate and waited to hear what would happen next.

“The rules are simple; we all drink glasses in one shot at the same time, and after each successful round, the glass is re-filled.” Celestia face-hoofed and groaned, she wanted a small supper with her family, not a drinking contest.

“Onyx, please decline. If we both refuse to play, she can’t do it all alone and we’ll eat our dessert in peace.” Unfortunately for her, Onyx wasn’t listening and already had a glass of “Moonshine” in front of him. Celestia got up from her seat and made the bottle of Moonshine and the three glasses disappear.

“Hey! Celly, that’s not fair!”

“Yeah mom, for once this day was going to be fun.”

“Be quiet you two! No drinking contests at this table! Now the two of you will need to start to acting like responsible adults and we will end this night with cake that I had prepared for us and we will enjoy it like a TRUE FAMILY!”

The domestics entered the room to clean the table and prepare it dessert, as with every day, Onyx helped them with their task.

“Why dost thou help them?” asked Luna, who sat there and let the maid clean.

“Why not? Just because we are royalty, doesn’t make us unable to work like everypony else.” he retorted.

The maid came back with the cake and put it on the table, but before she could exit, Celestia asked her something. The smell of chocolate and whipped cream made Onyx want to jump the face first into the cake.

“Mummy, why don’t we eat it immediately?” he asked Celestia, who answered him by pointing towards the front door. Not long after that, the door opened and Blueblood came inside.

“Auntie, I’m here, but why have you summoned me, I was busy with some friends of mine.” Onyx knew that these “friends” in question were probably some rich fancy ponies that Blueblood met somewhere and brought them to the castle to flaunt his wealth. Onyx poured himself another glass of cider now that his cousin was in the same room; he would need it in order to endure his pompous attitude.

“Nephew, if I’ve summoned you it is because I have an important announcement to make. Come, please, take a seat.”

Blueblood sat to Onyx’s left and waited.

“Good, now that you’re both here I can begin. You know that my dear sister, Luna, is back from a long travel today, right?”

Onyx and Blueblood nodded.

“Well, I would some time off alone with her so... I am giving you two the task of running the kingdom during my little vacation.”

Onyx spat a mouthful of cider back into its glass and Blueblood nearly had a heart attack from.

“*Cough* Wait, what? *Sputter* Give us the kingdom!?! B-but I’m not ready, and... and for how long?”

“Don’t worry son, I wouldn’t make this decision if I wasn’t sure you were up to the task. I will only be gone for 3 to 4 days.”

“And how are... Onyx... and I supposed to share the government, my dear auntie?” asked Blueblood.

“Well, one of you wil rule during the day and the other will oversee the night, Luna and I will prepare you for the task ahead before we go. So, who wants the sun and who wants the moon?”

Onyx wanted to take the sun after his mother, but unfortunately for him, Blueblood was faster on the draw.

“I take the sun! Only a fool would take the night shift. The ruler of the sun is by far the more respected and loved between the two rulers and the night is so useless. Nopony can appreciate the job you do if they’re sleeping.”

Luna was on the verge of crying. This morning, when Celestia told her what she wanted to do, she knew that neither of them would want to be the ruler of the night. Even since before her thousand years on the moon, nopony loved her night. Luna felt small tears falling from her eyes; she tried to stop them, but it was all for naught.

Onyx was going to argue with Blueblood, that he was the son of Celestia and therefore should rule during the day, but before he could, he saw Luna’s expression: depressed. It didn’t take long for Onyx to understand why; so he decided to sacrifice his chance in an attempt to cheer her up.

“I will take the night, and do you know why, Blueblood? Ponies sleep during the night because they trust their ruler; they know that we’ll do our best to protect them while they sleep. So yes, I will take the night shift.”

Luna jumped on Onyx and hugged him tightly. Tears were still rolling down her face, but now they were tears of happiness, of pure joy and elation.

“Thank you, thank you! I’ve misjudged you. Thank you! You don’t know how much it means to me to hear that.*sniff* I swear on my sister’s name that I shall no longer bother you, Onyx. Thank you.”

Celestia give a small nod to her son, she understood why he made his decision, and she was proud of him. But what impressed her the most, for the first time since her return, her sister had spoken normally, in the common dialect.

“Good. Now that all that is decided, it is time for the cake!”
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Luna decided to let Onyx keep his room, stating that she would take another one tomorow. Tonight, she was having a good old-fashioned sleepover in her sister’s room.

“So, Lulu... what do you think?” asked Celestia her sister, who was still smilling; grinning like a cat that had eaten an entire mountain of cream.

“He really is a good pony, sister... I understand why you kept him.”

PreviousChapters Next