• Published 7th Jan 2012
  • 2,416 Views, 13 Comments

Progression - Underdogg



Spitfire recognises your talent and tries to turn your life around, much to your resentment

  • ...
5
 13
 2,416

Theory

"So, do we have a deal?"

Spitfire looks at you with an aura that says she hopes you accept her offer.
You take a deep breath and look around the room. You eye every inch of your dressing room, recalling every memory you have in hopes that this would be the last time you would be standing here. Your eyes fall on your manager sitting in the corner.

"Go on, kid. You don't need us."

You look back to Spitfire, biting your lip. His words strike hard and true.

"So... Where do I stay?"

Spitfire sighs in relief at your acceptance. You could tell there was something about her that couldn't bear to see a potential Wonderbolt's talent go to waste.

You watch her eyes dart side to side running through possible living arrangements.

"Well, I do have some space in my house.... Eh... Maybe you can stay there till you get your act together, rent-free."

If you had known this mare better, you could have hugged her and cried. Finally, after 5 brutal years you would be sleeping in a warm house, with a comfortable bed, and not a hard, dressing room floor.

Tears start to obscure your vision, but you quickly wipe them away, in tandem with keeping your composure. The two visitors watch as you make your way to the door.

"Well, are you just gonna stand there? Or are we gonna go fly?" you say over your shoulder. Spitfire smiles and you give an excited grin back.

As you both trot down the corridor to the front door, you notice the burning sensation in your cheek again.

"Spitty?"

"Yeah, Indy?"

"That really hurt y'know..."


~~~


"Look, I ordered the orange scented candles and you gave me the lavender, I would like to return them and -"

Soarin' was sitting at his desk on a cold night, rebuking a poor candle salesman on the phone, when his best friend and and unknown visitor came storming in, wet from the heavy rain further south.

"uh.. So yeah, I'll be there tomorrow and I'll bring booze, don't worry. Save some tail for me would'ya?" and Soarin' slammed the phone down. He swivelled around in his desk chair and gazed at the two intruders, blushing heavily.

"Soarin', I'd like you to meet our newest rookie, Indigo Flight."
You say nothing and lean forward to shake hooves with him. Soarin's blush fades quickly, and he clears his throat.

"So, Spitfire, how good is this protege of yours? He eyes you up and down, as if estimating your talent from your appearance. You half expected him to gag, judging from the look he gave you.

"He's a circus performer from a small traveling circus. I've seen him fly before at one of their shows, and so I contacted the manager. We left a couple hours ago, but we weren't flying very fast."

Soarin' turned his nose up slightly.
"Well, what they say in flying school about form and not speed isn't true here. You have to be fast, fast and agile. If you lack these traits, then there's no way you can perform with us."

You nod slowly, trying to give off a calm and sensible first impression to this pegasus. He looked seemingly chuffed with his small speech, but the way he said it seemed overly revised. He probably said that to every rookie.

Spitfire chuckled under her breath. "Ok, Soarin', I'm gonna hit the hay. If you want you can run over some theory with him."

You and Soarin' watch her leave the room quietly. You hear him cough behind you, making you jump back around to face him.

"Take a seat." he says.
You slump down on a leather chair that sat a fair few inches below eye level.

"So, uh.. What was your name again?"
"Indigo."
"Indigo...."
"Flight."
"Okay, well firstly let's do some scenario practice. I'll give you an question on a maneuver and you answer as best you can, alright?"
"Alright."

Soarin' grabs a piece of paper from a drawer and clears his throat again.

"Number one."
You shift uncomfortably.

"Say you were performing a figure 8 thunder twist with a partner with a north-westerly wind velocity of 8 meters per second, and you approach too low of an altitude. What maneuver should you perform to put you both back in parallel flight, and what is the signal for such a maneuver?"

You stare at him for a while. Soarin' stares directly back, waiting impatiently for an answer. His expression begins to sink as you stare.

"uh... Ok, number -"
"It's impossible."

There is a short pause.

"What?"
"You're trying to catch me out aren't you? The only response to resume parallel flight would be to perform a cross-cut frontside roll, but with such wind speed and not taking into account fatigue, you could kill yourself and your partner. When can I leave?"

Soarin' chuckles lightly.

"That is correct..."

"I did my homework. You got any whiskey in that drawer over there?"


~~

You were walking back to Spitfire's house with Soarin' casually chatting about flight school splitting a bottle of Jack Coltiels. Over the past half-hour you two had completely hit it off. Both of you had been cackling about your pasts, and he had even let you in on some Bolt gossip, which provided excellent dirt on Spitfire.

Eventually you came to Spitfire's house and you bid each other farewells for the night.

"Alright, see you tomorrow!" you say. He holds up a hoof and wanders away, content with the new rookie. You step into her house and close the door.

"Hello?" you say

"Oh, hey Indigo." you see Spitfire lying on her bed in the next room, lying on her side and flipping through a magazine.

Without her hair done up and her signature Wonderbolt makeup on, she looked absolutely divine. You could definitely get used to living with her.

"Hey... I thought you would be asleep?"
"Nah, I couldn't. I guess I should show you to your room, right?" she says half smiling through a tired yawn.
"Sure." was all you could say. She lifts herself off the bed and walks past you through the doorway.

She turns around quickly to see if you were folloewing and catches you staring at her tail, swaying back and forth as she walked.

"My eyes are up here, doofus." she says giggling.

You shake your head and blush a deep crimson hue, as she continues walking in the direction of your room.

Eventually after walking down a few corridors you come to your room, which was bigger than you expected. In the centre of the room lay a huge bed, bigger than any you had ever slept in.

"This is the guest room. You can stay here for a while until we-"

*FLOP*

Spitfire chuckles again as she watches you fall asleep face down on the huge bed. She turns around and leaves you to your blissful slumber.
She turn around and looks at you, hearing your breathing become softer as you enter dreamland.

"Night."