• Published 17th Nov 2012
  • 3,733 Views, 89 Comments

Clastic Glow - Rocinante



A one-winged pegasus blacksmith sets up shop in ponyville and takes Scootaloo under his wing

  • ...
4
 89
 3,733

Aether

Soft Body: a metaphysical concept, an aspect of a body that extends beyond what is perceptible to the senses. See: soul.

- - -

A pony with one wing paced the empty floor of the old merchant house. His Pegasus blood itched. The wind billowed gently outside, the sky was clear and welcoming. He didn’t need to see it, the wind called to him. Having the ancient pile of stone stacked around him was comforting. It kept the sky away, silenced the wind. He could have picked a newer building, but the heavy stone rooms here helped him forget, they added their weight to his soul.

The building was one of the oldest in Ponyville, a cornerstone of the quaint market district. He finally had his own shop with his own suite on the second floor. Walking outside his crystal blue eyes scanned the sign he had hung up that morning: “Swage Hammer: General Smith, Licenced Farrier”

“Swage Hammer,” he repeated the name to himself. He had been born as simply Swage; it was Five years apprenticeship, four years journeyman, and an exam before the Elders, that gave him the title Hammer. Now he was a Master smith and allowed to open his own shop. Even take an apprentice if he wanted.

His still couldn’t believe his luck. Finding a town in need of a smithy, that wasn’t some pothole on the edge of the frontier. The previous smithy, Plowshare Hammer, had retired and moved to be with his grandfoals some years ago; taking his tools with him to set up his “retirement shop”. Leaving the small town without a smithy.

And the famous Twilight Sparkle lived less than a mile from him. She would be a priceless asset in his constant research. Of course he had not expected to meet her, or the rest of the Elements of Harmony, on his first night here. He had barely gotten his luggage off the train when he had been assaulted by a welcoming party, thrown by none other than the Element of Laughter herself. He had put on his best face for the whole event, wanting nothing more that to simply sleep. But, it was an excellent chance to make a first impression on all the ponies that would hopefully become his clients. With his entire life savings dumped into moving and new tools, he would need every customer he could get.

Soon the building’s lower floor and porch would be bustling with equipment, but for now he had nothing to do. His massive order of tools for both his smithing and arcane crafts would be arriving by freight later that day. ‘Well, may as well tour the town and hit up the library.

As he meandered the marked district of the little town he found himself within the farmers market. The smells of produce and home cooked treats awakened his appetite. The bag of grain he had brought for the train ride and the sweets from last night left him sorely wanting for fresh food. Turning about, intending to pick a stall at random, he found a strange sight. One of the Elements of Harmony, was selling food from a little wooden cart.

Applejack had just gotten her cart up and running for the day when she recognised the new smithy, form the night before, giving her a quizzical look. “What can I do ya for, Smithy?” greeting him with a smile.

Bewilderment forced his head to an angle as he asked, “You run a food cart?”

“Among many other things,” she replied proudly.

The food on her cart was making his mouth water, hunger overtook his curiosity. “Can I get the baked apples and some apple chips?”

“Sure thing sugarcube.” The one featherless nub that jutted from the side of the pegasus drew her attention with grim curiosity. She placed the order out and paused a moment. “Can I ask...” she just looked to the old wound.

“I was reckless once in my master’s workshop. Didn’t look where I was going.” The nub moved a little as he cast a glance back at it.”

“O’, I’m sorry.” She regretted asking. His forced smile had fallen from him like a veil. The scars on his heart were as clear to her as those that decorated his body. She chided herself for picking at such a wound.

“What do I owe you for the food?” Swage asked with forced pleasantries.

“Normally two bits, but first time’s free. Gotta get ya hooked!” She gave her best wicked grin.

“Thanks.” Swage took the plate of food in his teeth and headed to the nearest unoccupied bench.

As he walked away it occurred to her she hadn’t seen his cutie mark yet. She watched him cross the park until he finally chanced to turn broadside to her. It was a black anvil with gold wings.

- - -

“Afternoon, Mr. Macintosh” Swage spoke from behind a large open forge. Bellows sighed in a crisp even rhythm. The buildings large porch now bustled with tools of all sizes. The full shelves behind him spoke of a steady workload, despite having been in the town only a week now.

Mac had an old plow and three young fillies in tow. The girls, full of life, ran circles around the big red stallion; a stark contrast to the spent and broken plow. Mac shucked the farm equipment onto the table in front of Swage. “Need to get that fixed,” he said, glaring at his nemesis as it crashed on the workbench.

Swage assessed the plow. The hitch had broken clean off; mouldboard and share were both wrought iron. He was sure there had been a steel foreshare, but that had worn away a lifetime ago. The fittings had rusted solid too. “I’ll charge you a lot less to just make a new one.” he said flatly. “I’ll even buy the old iron off you for eight bits.” He paused and looked the device over again. There were clear signs that it had been used recently. “You actually still use this dull thing!?”

“Only plow we got,” Mac retorted, looking at the device he had spent so many years with, assuming it to be a typical example of the species. He blinked, curious what the smythy knew that he didn’t. “So, how much for a new one?”

Swage rubbed a hoof against his left side, grimacing as he added up the hours needed for the project in his head. “Give me the old plow, and I’ll call it sixty bits. I repair anything I make for free for life, too”

“Ya take thirty of that in credit with my sister’s store?” Mac had his best poker face on now.

Swage had been warned by the other merchants that the Apples would haggle for all but the smallest services. Trying to trade produce instead of paying in bits.Thirty bits left him some change after the materials and having to outsource the wood working. He had to buy food anyway. “Deal,” Swage pronounced, extending a foreleg out to seal the bargain.

Mac clearly wasn’t used to having his first offer taken so eagerly. It took him a moment, but he met the smithy’s hoof and shook.

With the work commissioned, he went back to the task he had started earlier. While Big Mac had left to continue his errands, his entourage had stayed behind. The Cutie Mark Crusaders had met up after school as usual. Having no original idea of their own, they took to following Applebloom's big brother in hopes the he would lead them to a new place and, by extension, another idea to earn their cutie mark. And they had struck gold . The smithy didn’t seem to notice them, as he was entranced in his own work. The girls soon found themselves also hypnotized by the fire, sparks, and glowing metal. Their minds raced with desire to try the craft themselves.

He had just got back into his zone when he felt a strange presence. His eyes refocused, looking past the hammer he was wielding. Three pairs of eyes stared back at him with undivided attention.

Swage knew the look in the girls’ eyes. He had watched a hulking earth pony work hot iron for days when he was no bigger, and it only took a week of begging and his best behavior before he had been allowed behind the workbench himself. Turning away from his audience, he drug a small forge near the smallest of his anvils. “Come on back girls. Get it out of your system”

The three friends traded glances in disbelief. “You mean we can try it?” Applebloom stammered out. They all three made to pounce behind the counter.

“Hold up!” Swage interrupted them, getting a crushing look of disappointment as he did. “Two rules.” He threw each filly a pair of goggles. Thick glass bound to cloth by copper bands. “You have to keep those on.” He rummaged through a pile of scrap and pulled out three black bars. Dropping them by the forge he took one and scratched a circle in the dirt around the equipment. “Second, you can use anything inside the circle, but don’t touch anything outside the circle... Understand?”

“Yes Sir,” they answered simultaneously.

“All right, come on back then.”

Scootaloo led the charge behind the counter, but froze in terror when the pegasus stallion turned to reach for something. She hadn’t realized he was missing a wing until she was within a foreleg’s reach of his side; now the wound filled her vision. Something deep within her turned sick. She had heard of ponies losing a wing before, but the story always ended with them dieing. Pegasi that lost their wings always seemed to just wither away, or end the own life. The sick feeling turned to empathy for the fellow earth-locked pegasus. She forced herself to look him in the eye as he turned back around to face the trio.


Swage lit up the little forge and briefly gave them the beginners tips before letting them loose to try the skill themselves. He was confident that they had enough sense not to grab the hot end. Going back to his own project, he kept an ear on them more than an eye.

The girls still chattered as their anvil rang behind him. He held up a newly finished cream boat to check the seams. The copper bright pink for the last acid wash. All he had left on this project was to tin it. Tinning was the first chore his master had let him on his own to do. He still found it deeply relaxing.

“Wow, you’re brave!” a loud voice spoke near him. He hadn’t seen her approach. It was Twilight Sparkle, she was grimly looking at the the girls behind him.

Glancing back at the three he shrugged. “Eaa, they’re harmless. Better to give them something to do than let them find something to do... What brings you over?”

“Those books you wanted came in this morning. They’re too old to leave the climate-controlled room, though, so you’ll have to come by to read them....” Twilight paused, the aether around her rippled form the presence of magic. She looked around but saw no reason for the sensation. “That’s some pretty esoteric stuff you asked for.” Again the strange feeling nagged at her.

“Something wrong?” Swage pried.

“No, I thought I felt a spell near me,” she explained, still unsure of herself.

“That’s probably the half dozen enchantments I’m working on back here.” Grabbing a freshly polished stew pot, he placed it on the counter between them. “This is a big seller, food won't burn to the bottom. I also have never-stick enchanted pans.”

“Oh no, if Spike hears about this I’ll be broke. Wait, what, you do enchanting!? Well, that explains the books.” Twilight looked from the smithy to the cookware.

Swage Scratched at his mane as he spoke. “Yea, enchanting is what I did for my Masters demonstration before the Guild Elders.”

Twilight assessed the pot with her magics. It was enchanted and while not exceptionally powerful, it was many times greater than anything she ever heard of a non-unicorn doing. She knew very well the Pegasus and Earth Ponies had no less magic in them than Unicorns did, but Unicorns had a physical tap that allowed their magic to enter creation as they willed. She had never heard of a non-unicorn attempting more than the simplest magics. Zecora’s potions and charms were the most exposure she had to ritual magic of this nature.

“No wonder you got the Master’s title so young.” Twilight looked around the workshop for a moment. “Can I watch you make something? I’d really like to see how you do this.” Foal-like curiosity was thick in her voice.

“You mean see how a Pegasus does this,” Swage scowled

Twilight stammered, “Oh I’m sorry I didn’t mean too.. It’s just...”

A strange cackle burst out of the smithy. “Sure, I’ll make a little art project for you. Have a seat, watch however you like.”

///

Although slightly perplexed, she wasn’t going to turn up the chance to learn something new in the field of magic. Getting comfortable she reached out with her magic and carefully surveyed the smithy.

He sat and cleared himself, she felt his aura drop to a smooth focused state. Opening his eyes he took out a few small billets of metal: copper, gold and a tiny bead of platinum. All his movements were trance like.

“Step a little closer Ms. Sparkle,” he said with a voice like the possessed. She obeyed.

Abandoning her eyes altogether for her sixth sense, she gently probed and analyzed the Aether about the smithy. She felt something, the lost wing, it was still there, sort of. His soft body remembered the wing and was desperately trying to find the lost flesh.

The static crackle of the aether was starting to be replaced with patterns and familiar hums, he was shaping magic within him. It was a familiar process; were he a unicorn his horn would be glowing. The eye within her horn watched the raged ghost wing solidified within the astral space as the spell he was weaving built its power.

He was moving now. She could hear fire and hammer. The smithy’s soft body warped, extending past the flesh and taking the tool he held within itself. The tool now an extension of his very soul and will. With each blow of the tool, the lifeless form it pounded started glowing brighter. A spell was taking shape within the metal he was working, it was a very weak spell, but a spell. Moments later the item went hot with magical force.

Twilight jumped, something powerful had moved in the Aether. ‘The wing!’ It had lost all resemblance of its old flesh. It was now a shapeless reaching mass that crackled gently with energy. It looked all with world like the reach of a unicorn’s horn. Her mind filled in the blanks, her eyes opened with surprise. ‘He’s using the phantom wing like a horn!

Her eyes darted around the shop, it was perfectly boring on this level. Nopony knew what fantastic things were happening within the astral. Her eyes met the smithy’s as he worked, he smirked. Something pinched at her magics wickedly, closing her eyes she rejoined the ethereal show. A tendril of energy now connected her to the object, but it faded out of existence before she could analyze it. She watched as the tool lost its aura and the wing faded back to a cobweb shadow. The item though, it had a near living presence to it. He was still working on it, but in a mundane way.

She sat her magics to rest and reopened her eyes.

///

“This is well and truly yours now, Ms. Sparkle,” Swage said as a gleaming writing pen emerged from a pan of soapy water. He laid it down before her.

“Are you sure? That’s an expensive gift,” she protested.

“It as useless as a rock to anypony but you, now. Pick it up. You’ll see.” He gestured to the pen. Grinning a bit more than he would have liked.

Twilight went to reach for the pen with her magic, but it snapped to attention before she had even completed the thought. The pen took to motion, writing in the air. Had it ink and paper, her confused internal monologue would have been spelled out. A big toothy grin spread across Twilight’s face as she grasped what was happening. “You aligned the metal’s crystals to my aura.”

“In a nutshell,” he let out a big sigh, “and that’s it for me today! I’m going to clean up and head over to the library.” He looked over his shoulder. “Wrap it up girls. I’m closing shop as soon as I’m clean”

“OK!” comes the three voices as one form. ‘That’s starting to creep me out a bit,’ he thought

Looking again to Twilight, “Hang out for a moment and I’ll show you what I’m working on.” He winced, realising he just asked Twilight Sparkle to “hang out” with him.

She nodded. “Sure thing.” Her attention turned towards the pen as she distracted herself with it, swishing it about the air like a new toy.

Swage took to his end of the day cleaning ritual; the girls followed his example, dowsing their fire and brushing the tools off. He decided to check out their efforts before going inside to wash up. “So, what’d ya make, girls?”

The little unicorn had made, well... something. He didn’t know what it was supposed to be, but she was very proud of it and he wasn’t about to tell her she shouldn’t be. The pegasus had a “marshmallow roasting fork,” and he supposed it would be fine for the job. The earth pony, though, had made a very lovely lantern hook. Even made the mounting plate look like a fleur-de-lis. ‘The mare has some talent!’ he thought.

The three stood clutching the work, grinning like the school kids they were.

“Well girls.” He opened the door to his study. “It’s getting late; you should be getting home.”

“What is that!” They said in unison. ‘Yep, that is creepy’ he confirmed to himself. They were all pressed around his fetlocks, nosing through the threshold before he could react. He sighed and simply got out of their way.

“That’s some setup you have in there!” Twilight said looking into the room to see what the fuss was about.

The room shined with brass and crystals; one wall had become a floor to ceiling chalkboard, it was full of arcane scribblings and formulas. The center of the room was dominated by a pony mannequin supporting a sparsely feathered metal skeleton. A little imagination could clearly see that once completed it would look all the world like a pegasus wing.

Swage motioned for Twilight to come in. “This is what I was going to show you, anyway. It’s my life’s work. I’m going to fly again with this.” Scootaloo let out a resounding “WOW!” while the others had a skeptical expression. He continued, “Every part of this is tuned to me like that pen is to you. It’s taken me two years to get this far, but I can spend a lot more time on it now.”

Twilight studied the chalkboard. The enchanter was dancing a fine line between insight and madness.

[Done with this much...sorry for the delay but things came up and I had trouble with my scheduling.] - MrMinimii