• Published 14th Nov 2012
  • 1,508 Views, 116 Comments

The Luna Diaries - The-rogue-shadow



A look inside the mind of Princess Luna as she tries to adjust to modern Equestria

  • ...
3
 116
 1,508

Entry 5

Dear Diary,
The trip to the observatory today was, in a word, fantastic. I “learnt” all about the stars, the planets and the rotation of the Earth. I’m not going to lie, seeing all of the other students in awe of the night and the endless expanse beyond their own comprehension made my ego inflate just a little. Even Sly, the colt I threw out of the window seemed impressed, which made it difficult not to gloat, or even correct the pony giving the tour when he was getting things wrong.

There was a pony near the rear of the tour that I hadn’t noticed until then. She was a white Pegasus with a scarlet coloured mane. What was different about her was the fact that she almost always had a teacher near her, and I couldn’t figure out why; so, curious, I decided to try and meet this mare. I discovered that her name was Aurora and, unbeknownst to me, she was blind. The teacher that was accompanying her was there to guide her and read the plaques as they were not written in something called ‘braille’ which I discovered was a very special type of writing that consists of embossed bumps on paper or metal or whatever. Aurora can read it by running the tips of her wings across each line of the braille. I kept talking to her for the rest of the trip, and I think I made a good impression on her. I’m very grateful that Tia’s disguise spell automatically changes my voice, mannerisms and according to her, the ‘volume’ of my speech, as I was informed that all of Aurora’s other senses are heightened as a result of her lost vision.

It was nice to finally connect with a pony that wasn’t a part of my staff or bullying me. I started to wonder if Aurora was a friend or not. I had forgotten the feeling of having a friend after so long in isolation. Perhaps reading the reports that Twilight Sparkle sends to Tia every day as part of her assignment in the study of friendship would help me figure it out. It could very well be beneficial to me as school goes on.

I should also mention that I confronted the three guards who I have selected to undergo the process to become my personal guards. All three of them were on guard duty at the time, even though the shift only requires two ponies at the one time. They all said yes, although Swift seemed a little reluctant at first, until a quick nuzzle from Heartstrings quickly changed his mind. I explained the changes that would be necessary and the responsibilities that went along with their new position. Even after learning of the risks involved with their transformation, they agreed. I knew then that I had picked the right ponies for the job. They are all going to be receiving special training in accordance with the old laws that governed the knights of the moon; with a few changes by myself of course. I do need to talk to Tia about it though, even if I HAVE made my decision, in the end, I’m asking her to give up three guards for the rest of their lives in service to me. I pray she is understanding.

Now it is time for sleep. Despite my best efforts and natural habits, I have found myself needing sleep at much the same time as other ponies. I imagine that when I take back responsibility over the night that my sleeping patterns will change.