• Published 15th Nov 2012
  • 7,836 Views, 175 Comments

Age Swap - Tangerine Blast



A different universe were everypony that was older is younger and those younger are older.

  • ...
15
 175
 7,836

Pegasi and Unicorns

Spike and Twilight walked along the edge of Sweet Apple Acres. They had eaten a delicious meal and were now pleasantly full.

"So what's next on the list?" Spike asked his assistant.

Twilight looked at her checklist. "We need to check on how a Pegasus named Scootaloo is doing at clearing the skies."

Spike looked up to cloud filled sky. "She's not doing that well," he commented. Just then, something slammed into Spike. He stumbled, but managed to catch himself before falling.

He looked to see what had hit him and saw a Pegasus filly. The blue filly flew up to his face and asked, "You're a dragon, aren't you?" She was about Twilight's age, with a frizzy rainbow mane and tail. She was glaring at Spike suspiciously.

"Yes, I am,” he answered, trying to be polite. “Why did you crash into me?"

The filly ignored him. "Are you a spy from a secret dragon army? Have you come to eat us?"

"No," Spike took a step back from the blue Pegasus. "I'm Spike. Who are you?"

"I'm..." The filly started before she was interrupted by a voice behind them.

"Rainbow Dash!"

They all looked up toward the sound and saw an orange Pegasus, with purple hair and a skateboard cutie mark, descending toward them. "Rainbow, what did I say about doing stunt tricks without supervision?"

"Sorry, Scootaloo. But this dragon is a dangerous spy!" Rainbow Dash tried to defend herself.

"Somehow I doubt that," Scootaloo muttered under her breath.

Happy to meet a pony who had some sense, Spike introduced himself. "I'm Spike. And this is my assistant, Twilight Sparkle. You're Scootaloo?"

"The one and only." Scootaloo ruffled the rainbow filly's hair. "This rascal is Rainbow Dash. Why? Have you heard of us?"

"Princess Luna sent us to check on the Summer Sun preparations," Spike explained, "and our list says that you're supposed to be clearing the sky."

Scootaloo pawed at the ground, "That's right, but you see, it's taking so long because Rainbow Dash here is my adoptive sister, and she and my other sis wanted to help me. Which reminds me," she looked around. "Where is Fluttershy? Fluttershy!"

A little yellow filly with a long pink mane and tail descended from the clouds. Three butterflies adorned her flank. "I'm sorry, Scootaloo. I saw this really pretty butterfly and I just had to follow it." Fluttershy's eyes landed on Spike and she tensed up before squealing, "Dragon!" and hiding behind Scootaloo.

Scootaloo blushed slightly before saying, "Sorry, it's nothing personal. Flutters is my adopted sister, too, and she had a bad experience with dragons when she was younger." She turned to Fluttershy, still cowering behind her. "It's okay, Flutters. This is Spike. Princess Luna sent him."

"Bu...bu...but dragons...eat...eat ponies," the frightened filly stammered.

"Spike has a pony about your age as an assistant. Do you think she would be here if he ate ponies?" Scootaloo asked her.

"What if he only...likes Pegasi?"

"Dash just crashed into him," Scootaloo pointed out. "He would have gobbled her up if he ate Pegasi."

The little filly just whimpered and hid her eyes with her hooves.

Scootaloo sighed, "Sorry about that. She's timid at the best of times."

"It's okay," Spike reassured her. "I'm used to it. How were they helping you?"

"Well, Flutters makes sure that there aren't any animals like butterflies or bats in the clouds, and then Dash breaks them apart. I gather all the things Dash missed. You would think it would go faster, but these two get distracted easily."

"Can we see you do it?" Twilight asked.

"Sure! Dash, no stunts this time." Scootaloo added as she prodded Fluttershy. "Hay, come on Flutters. The dragon won't get you in the sky."

"How do you know?" Fluttershy asked quietly.

"He doesn't have wings." Scootaloo gestured to Spike and Fluttershy looked at him with wide eyes.

The little pony unfurled her wings and flew into the air, keeping close to Scootaloo. Rainbow Dash followed, rolling her eyes and muttering, "He doesn't even look that scary."

The three ponies flew up into a cluster of clouds. Fluttershy would reach into one to check that it had nothing in it before continuing to another cloud. Rainbow Dash would burst through the checked clouds, and Scootaloo would clean up whatever bits of cloud were left over.

Twilight and Spike watched the process with wide eyes. When the group got into a comfortable rhythm, the Pegasi flew through the air with expert timing. Fluttershy even found some butterflies in a cloud and helped guide them to safety before continuing.

Rainbow started to fly fancier, going into a circle while hitting three clouds. Then she got really brave and tried to do a loop-da-loop. It started out fine, but when she got to the middle of the trick, she stopped upside down and fell. The little filly flapped her wings, but didn't seem to know how to fly upside down or turn herself over.

"Dash!" Scootaloo called, diving after the falling filly.

Spike could tell that she wasn't going to get there in time, so he rushed forward and caught Rainbow before she hit the ground. "You alright?" he asked.

"Yeah," Rainbow Dash panted. "Thanks."

"Rainbow Dash," Scootaloo sighed, relieved. "This is why I didn't want you to do tricks." She turned to Spike. "Thank you so much for saving her."

"Rainbow!" Fluttershy had come down and was circling Rainbow Dash. "I was so worried, you were falling and you could have been hurt. You aren't hurt, are you?"

"Nah, I'm fine." Rainbow Dash waved a hoof, trying to sound brave, but her voice was still shaking.

"Um..." Fluttershy slowly turned to Spike. "Thank...thank you for saving Rainbow Dash."

"That was so great, Spike!" Twilight exclaimed, "You were so fast!"

"Yeah," Spike blushed a little from all the attention. "I think we should go now, have to finish checking on the Celebration. Princess’s orders."

"Will I see you around?" Scootaloo asked.

"Sure, probably," Spike told her.

"We definitely will," Twilight reassured her. As soon as they were out of earshot, Twilight said to Spike, "See? The ponies here are nice."

"Yeah, I guess," Spike agreed.

************************************************************************************

Spike and Twilight walked back into Ponyville. The next pony they had to find was in charge of the music for the festival. Twilight was having trouble reading the map, though, and the two were getting thoroughly lost.

"Twilight," Spike sighed, "could you just give me the map?"

"No, no, I know where we're going," his assistant reassured him.

Spike rolled his eyes, but continued to follow the little filly. He wanted to suggest asking somepony for directions, but didn't bother for two reasons. One was that Twilight would just dismiss the idea. The other was that the only ponies around were a light purple unicorn and a grey filly. The filly had weird eyes and Spike got the creeps just looking at them. Suddenly, he started to hear a tune in the air. "Twilight, did you hear that?"

Twilight looked up from the map and listened. "Is that music?"

"Yes, and I think it's coming from this way." Spike walked off in the direction of the music, with Twilight following close behind.

They followed the music to a house near the middle of town. The window was open, and they could hear a beautiful string of music before it stopped and was replaced by a soft muttering.

"Do you think this is the place?" Spike asked Twilight.

"Well, we are looking for a pony in charge of music," she pointed out.

"Good point." Spike knocked on the door.

It was opened a short time later by a white unicorn filly with purple hair and three gems as a cutie mark. She stared at Spike for a second before shrieking, then pulling him through the door. "Sweetie Belle!" The little filly yelled, clutching Spike. "You have to see what I found!"

Another white unicorn mare came from the other room. She had purple and pink hair, with a song note for her cutie mark. "What is it, Rarity?"

"I have a dragon and he's going to take me to his treasure!" The filly, Rarity, told the mare.

Sweetie Belle looked at Spike for a moment before replying to the filly, "Are you sure he's old enough to have treasure?"

"I don't have any treasure," Spike told them, trying to pull Rarity off of him, but failing. "I'm here on business for Princess Luna. This is my assistant, Twilight.” He finally gave up on freeing himself from the little filly and looked at the mare. “Are you Sweetie Belle? The one in charge of music?"

"Yes," The white mare confirmed. "Rarity, you can release him now."

Rarity let go of Spike, grumbling that all dragons should have jewels. Twilight went over to talk to her as Spike conversed with Sweetie Belle.

"Is Rarity your sister?"

"Yes,” Sweetie Belle answered, smiling. “She's a neat freak, and can be pretty bothersome sometimes."

Spike laughed. "At least she isn't buried in a book twenty-four seven. What does Rarity's cutie mark represent?"

"That she likes putting jewels on things. That's why she was attacking you; dragons usually have a hoard of jewels, but I’m sure you knew that. She only got her mark a while ago, and she's very proud of it."

"I can believe that. May I hear what you're working on for the celebration?" Spike asked.

"Sure, follow me." Sweetie led Spike into another room were a piano was set up. Spike had no idea how ponies played the piano with hooves, but Sweetie Belle made it look easy. She played a melody and then stopped, making a change on the music sheet in front of her.

"Are there any words in the song?" Spike asked.

"Oh no, I'm just writing what the orchestra will play. No one's going to sing." Sweetie sighed a little and looked down as she said that.

"Do you like to sing?" Spike asked the unicorn.

"Oh yes, singing is so wonderful. My talent involves all music, but I like singing the most."

"Well, why not sing something right now?" Spike asked.

"Um, sure." Sweetie agreed, blushing slightly. She went over to a dresser and ruffled through some papers. "Here's a nice one." She started singing, looking at her music sheet. “I'm just a little bit caught in the middle. Life is a maze, and love is a riddle. I don't know where to go, can't do it alone. I've tried, and I don't know where I am." She stopped and smiled at Spike, "That's one of my favorite songs."

She really had a beautiful voice, and Spike felt inclined to tell her that.

"Yeah, music is my special talent. I've been singing since I was a little filly."

"Spike!" Came a wail from the other room as Twilight tore in, her eyes glistening with the start of tears. "Spike! Spike! Rarity.....Rarity said that blank flanks aren't special!" the purple filly wailed, burying her face in Spike.

"I didn't mean it like that!" Rarity came in after Twilight, looking just as upset. "It just slipped, I'm sorry Twilight!"

"Rarity, you need to watch yourself more,” Sweetie scolded her. “Just because you got your cutie mark doesn't mean you can make fun of other fillies."

"I know," Rarity hung her head. "Can I try to make it up to you, Twilight?"

The purple unicorn sniffed and nodded.

Rarity ran off to her room.

"I'm sorry about Rarity," Sweetie apologized. "She can be a little insensitive some times."

"It's alright," Spike reassured, cradling Twilight. "It’s just that Twilight's sensitive about her cutie mark."

Rarity came back a moment later with a purple necklace adorned with red jewels.

"Oh, Rarity, it's so beautiful," Twilight said, admiring the jewelry.

Rarity's chest seemed to swell at the complement. "Thanks. I made it in case I was invited to a fancy party, but I want you to have it."

Twilight took the necklace with her magic and secured it around her neck. "Rarity, it's so wonderful. Thank you so much."

"Do you forgive me for making fun of your blank flank?" The white unicorn asked, her eyes pleading.

Twilight nodded, staring at the necklace.

"I think we should go now. It's been nice talking to you," Spike said, gesturing Twilight towards the door. "You finish that piece, Sweetie Belle."

"I will, goodbye Spike."

"Goodbye! Take good care of that necklace!" Rarity called after them.

"I will, thank you again!" Twilight called back.

"Did you like Rarity?" Spike asked Twilight when they were out of earshot.

Twilight nodded, staring at her necklace. "She can be rude, but she's really nice."

Spike nodded. "The ponies here are very friendly."

Twilight pried her eyes from her necklace to Spike, a grin across her face. "I told you they would be."

Spike just rolled his eyes. "Where to next?"