• Published 4th Mar 2013
  • 3,601 Views, 149 Comments

Fallout: Equestria - Change - MetalGearSamus



A single Changeling has awoken to a Wasteland full of horrors. Now, unprepared and unaided except for an unknown voice in his head, he must survive the Wasteland and find love in a land filled with hate.

  • ...
16
 149
 3,601

Epilogue

From The Wasteland Survival Guide

Changelings*

Changelings. They are always hungry. If you learn nothing else from me, learn that. But, you ask, what is a Changeling? What do they eat? What do they look like? The answers are simple: They are parasites. They eat our emotions.

They can look like us. Any of us. But they don’t know what we know. To expose them, catch them in a lie or contradiction. What you do with them after is up to you.

They are a rare sight these days. Before the war, they almost conquered Canterlot, and since the war they almost went extinct. I thought they had gone extinct, actually! So be careful, but don’t get paranoid. They are a threat, but rarely are they deadly. They feed on our emotions; happiness; love; not our bodies. But what is a pony without those good feelings? They are rare enough as it is, these days. Don’t let your fleeting moments of happiness be stolen away.

Don’t become just another hungry monster in the Wasteland.


*This new section was made possible by the contributions of Seel Ranger Kernel and her associate, Surprise.

Author's Note:

Well, after seven years and just over 200,000 words, it's finally done. I know I wrote this slowly, and I am incredibly grateful to everyone who has read through to this point, especially those who have stuck with me throughout all these years. Thank you for reading, and I hope you have enjoyed the journey.

If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to post them. I will try to answer whatever I can. I appreciate all the feedback I get, even if I don't always reply to everyone. You're all incredible. :)

I would like to give one last thank you to KKat, as well as all the other FO:E fic writers who contributed to my early inspiration for this story.

As for me, I haven't been active in this fandom for quite a while now, outside of this story and my original plot notes. Details and surviving characters changed quite a bit from the plans I originally had, but the broad flow of the story is basically the same as I had written down back in 2013. This is all to say that I am done writing for the MLP fandom in general. I finished this last project, and I've simply moved on to other interests. I might, at some point, go through this monster and make edits/clean things up, but that won't be for a long while, if ever.

HOWEVER, if you have enjoyed my writing, and you do want something more from me, I have self-published an original sci-fi book, which can be found on Amazon in both ebook and paperback: [https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BGDVSGSX]Thalci Varner and the Red Children of Paradise. Although it is much shorter than this fic, the writing is more refined, and I was able to make a much more cohesive work (at least in my opinion). Plus I also have a sequel planned, so there's more to look forward to!

Regardless, I hope you are all staying safe during this trying time, and keeping your friendships strong. Thanks again!

Comments ( 15 )

Well that was one of hell of story. I'm glad that you found enough patience to write it to end.

Thanks for coming back to finish the story, rather than leaving it.

10256991
And thank you so much for reading it to the end!

10262861
Thanks! It did feel good to finally mark this as 'complete.' I don't even really disagree about the mess comment, haha

I wonder if Worker will ever get the "Thorax" treatment.

Its good to finish this

10273161
Thanks! But what do you mean by Thorax treatment?

10273219
Right so Thorax started out as a Black Changeling than metamorphosed into the colorful ones. So will Worker end up going down that path? It seems shes started on it

10273226
Oh I see. Idk, I only considered the MLP canon up to season 3-ish when I first planned this, so I didn't think of Changelings as anything other than how they were presented in the wedding episode and the early comics. As far as I was concerned, the important part is Worker's internal change, regardless of how they look

I just finished reading this and I enjoyed it. Thank you for taking the time make and finish your story.

10291475
You're welcome and thank you!

The whole way through, only one thing bothered me, how could a changeling be bothered by tight spaces?
Even still, time and time again this story proved to be near the best I've read out of the FOE stories I've read aside from the original, Hooves Of Fate, and Project Horizons.
I will be reading that story you published on amazon.

10605205
Fantastic to hear! Glad you liked it, and thank you for checking out the book!

10664521

Sorry for any confusion! The lack of punctuation was on purpose; meant to give the impression of a train of thought/rush of memories as Worker's vision started.

Glad to see you're enjoying the story!

While it was good that you came back to finish the story, the ending seems, honestly, lacking. The whole chapter felt like a rush of trying to invoke as many sad feelings in the reader without bringing the narrative to a satisfying end.
Basically the entire last chapter was you killing off most of the characters with increasingly improbable events, for example, if they were the first in such a long time to make it to the crystal empire, then how, and why, did three enclave soldiers also end up there?

Your tendency to give detailed recountings of some (rather boring) events, yet only refer to others as "they trekked for 3 days" gives the story a disjointed feel.

Also, some interesting dynamics that could've been explored were just burned immediately, the interactions between Rainbow Dash and the others could've been great. Perhaps those first reactions to the "friendship-hive-mind" could have made an interesting few paragraphs.

And the lack of explanation or consistency in regards to the hive-mind thing also irks me, if these links are friendship-based why did Rainbow Dash get immediately connected despite not being their friend at that point?

Honestly, after finishing this story, while I'm not left wanting more, it's not because the story was nicely concluded, it's that I don't think I'd be able to read more awkward interactions followed by random character deaths.

11352905

The Enclave soldiers got in because the Windigo blizzard disappeared and the hateboom cleared the sky. I found that reasonable.

Rainbow Dash’s death was anticlimactic, though, and clearly written in just to stay consistent with Kkat’s FOE, since this story is set before FOE. If Rainbow Dash were to survive this story, it wouldn’t make sense how she never shows up in the later events of FOE. So she had to die, and it’s just unfortunate how anticlimactic it was.

Login or register to comment