• Published 4th Mar 2013
  • 3,564 Views, 149 Comments

Fallout: Equestria - Change - MetalGearSamus



A single Changeling has awoken to a Wasteland full of horrors. Now, unprepared and unaided except for an unknown voice in his head, he must survive the Wasteland and find love in a land filled with hate.

  • ...
16
 149
 3,564

Chapter 9: New Canterlot

“There’s something living in these lies.”

I woke up to another throbbing head. I couldn't recall anything that had happened after I last talked to Surprise, but I quickly gave up trying to remember when I realized where I was.

"Good mornin' princess," Hairpins intoned, grinning at me through a wall of iron bars. "Fancy seein' you here." I punched a hoof at her face, but she moved back, snickering. "Oh come on now, ah didn't put ya' here."

I growled at her and turned away. I was not in the mood for her taunts. I growled again when I saw where I was. We were in the slave building on the Plantation, turned now into a straight-up jailhouse. Tumbleweed was with Hairpins in the cell next to me, sleeping in a corner. Holster was alone in a cell near the end of the room, while Boss and Fishhooks were in the one opposite me. The stallion and I glared at each other, and I did my best to will his head to explode.

Finally, my curiosity overcame my anger. "Why am I here?" I asked Hairpins, turning begrudgingly back to her cell. She gave me a queer look.

"Wadda ya’ mean?"

"I mean: 'Why am I here?’' Why am I in this cell?" I glanced around again, and noticed I was undisguised. I panicked and immediately triggered my magic. Nothing happened. I couldn't even cast the spell. "Why can't I disguise!?"

“Well, ah’d assume that’s ‘cuz a’ that ring on yer horn,” she said, pointing.

I felt my head with a hoof. I winced when I found a deep gash there, freshly inflamed, and, just above it, a metal ring clinging to the base of my horn. That must be the reason I couldn’t cast spells. I moved another hoof up and tried to pull it off, but the harder I tried the tighter it squeezed, and I finally gave up, gasping in pain. My head kept throbbing.

“You can’t pull off null rings, you stupid bug,” Boss grunted from across the room. “It only responds to magic. That’s why it works.” I glared at him again. His own ring was nestled around the base of his horn. An ugly little thing of black steel.

“As fer how ya’ got here,” Hairpins continued, “all ah know is th’ NCs dragged ya in here an hour ago an’ left. Didn’t say a word, even when ah asked ‘em. Bunch a’ pretentious bastards, they are.” She continued to mutter insults, even after I turned away. I tried to think, to remember what had happened to me, but it was hard to concentrate through my headache. I traced my memories up until I glimpsed Gleaming Armor’s return, but after that was nothing. I sighed. I was queasy and tired, and I wouldn’t be escaping any time soon without my magic. Across from me, Boss was still glaring. I gave him one last spiteful look before curling up in a cell corner.

The pain left me as I drifted off, but as I dreamed my old hunger returned.

Feed!” the world screamed at me. “Feed! Feed!” But I could not. There was nothing here. Nothing but dark walls. I ran, but nothing changed. I wept and begged and ran until my hooves bled but still there was nothing but dark walls and that scream.

Feed! Feed!” I was so hungry I could feel the sound reverberating within me.

“Feed!” the world cired. “Feed and save me!” But I could not. I did not know where she was. I did not know how to eat. I could not find love here. I could not find her. Where was she? Where was my Queen? My mother?

“Up. Save me. Save us! Up!” I tried to look. I tried to find her. My neck was too heavy. I could not look up. I glimpsed a light shining above me, but I could not reach it. I could not gaze into it. I was too weak. Too tired. I tired to move my feet, and found them bound to the ground by chains and roots.

Feed! Save! Up!

I gasped. I struggled. I could not look up. I was too heavy. I could not save her. I could not feed.

...die...

There was a faint light—a new light—in the distance, glowing blue. Wisps of purple smoke crept from it, reaching forward. I felt fear. It was coming. Not for me, I had nothing to do with it, but it was coming this way regardless, and I would be crushed under its procession.

Feed! Save! Up! Run!

It was too much. I curled up against one of the dark walls and squeezed my eyes shut. I could not feed; there was no food here. I could not look up; I was too heavy. I could not get out of the way; I was trapped here. Maybe if I gew small enough I would be stepped over and left alone. Maybe. Or maybe I would die regardless. At least then I would no longer be hungry.

Feed...

...die...

I squeezed my eyes shut and ignored the voices, both the new and the old. I thought of nothing. I got used to my hunger. Slowly, the ground grew cold beneath me, and I breathed evenly in the dark.

I thought of nothing for a while, until another voice bubble up from the abyss.

“...be glad, brother. I do not offer this mercy to others. Serve us. Help us win this war. You’re power could still be of use.” Gleaming Armor’s voice.

“Fuck you—and don’t call me brother, you creepy fuck. I won’t ever serve you.” Boss’s voice. I realized I was awake.

“Then you’ll die.” I rolled over. It was night now. The cell had been as dark as my dream. There was a single light, shining from the tip of a soldier’s horn. Gleaming Armor stood beside him. The light was a piercing white, blinding me to all else. I was reminded of my encounter in the alley, and a stroke of fear shot through me.

“I would rather die.” Boss’s voice dripped with anger. A silence stretched on, but Gleaming Armor did not move. Not even a twitch. For a moment I thought he had become a statue, the lighting gave his coat the appearance of marble.

“So be it,” he finally said. I tilted my head enough to catch the edge of the prince’s grin. “That will serve us just as well, in time. A rather short time, in fact.”

“What? What?” Boss’s voice was a whisper; a small, fearful gasp. The sudden change sent a chill through me. “Don’t tell me that bullshit Cobb told me is true! You can’t—!”

“I can and I will.” Gleaming Armor laughed, a light, trilling sound. A sound that did not belong here. “Do you plan to stop me once you’re dead?” he mocked. Boss did not reply. “I will give you until dawn to decide. After that the matter moves out of my hooves.” Without another word the prince and his attendant strode away. I blinked to clear my eyes of their light’s red stain, and wondered what I had just witnessed.

“Fucking bug,” Boss muttered. “All ‘cuz of that fucking bug.”

“Shut up!” I snarled. After everything he’d done to me he still blamed me for his misery. I wanted to rip out his throat.

“Fuck you, bug,” he grumbled. “Are you happy? Happy that I’m going to die?”

“Yes,” I said.

“Well fuck you. I would have been safe in Tenpony tower by now if you hadn’t shown up. Do you know what you’ve done to me? You bugs don’t even have your own minds. I bet you fuckers don’t even understand what you’re eating!” I ground my teeth together as he spoke, wishing I could snap his neck and taste more pony meat. “You fucking bug—you’re all supposed to be extinct” I growled and slammed my hooves against my prison bars.

“Would y’all kindly shut yer damn mouths!” Hairpins interrupted. “Ah’m tryin’ t’ sleep!”

“You can sleep all you want when you’re dead,” Boss shot back. I heard him huff in the dark.

“Pha!” Hairpin’s scoff turned into a cackle. “Oh you poor, sad suckbag. Ah didn’t even do nothin’. It’s you they’re putting t’ death, backstabber.”

“They—they punish slavery, pins,” Boss said. “You’re just as guilty. They’ll hang you without a second thought.”

“Ha! It’s yer word against mine, an’ don’t you ferget that ah’m th’ one they found pointin’ a gun at yer back.” Boss could only seethe in silence.

I snorted in disgust. I hoped they’d both die and finally be out of my life. I just wanted to go back to sleep; my headache was starting to creep back, and that dream was still heavy on my mind. I laid back down, but, to my chagrin, sleep did not return. I lay awake for several hours, shifting in discomfort until dawn came.

“Up! Wake up, prisoners!” our jailer shouted at us. I heard his keys rattle and our cells slide open. “Get up! Line up! Quickly! His High Justice does not like waiting, and we have bigger concerns than the trials of slavers. Up! Get up!”

* * * * *

Nopony else was about. The guard marched us single-file across the plantation, our hooves tied together by shackles. The ground was soft, and I saw dew clinging to a few weeds that were worming their way up the side of a watchtower. The sky was especially dark today. We halted outside the barracks, where two other guards were standing at attention. Our escort levitated a ring of keys from his side, and unlocked the chains around Boss’s feet. He had been at the head of our line.

“In, and to the left,” was all that the jailer said.

Boss trotted slowly through the doorway and disappeared. “...can’t be right,” I heard him mutter as he stepped out of sight. “Cobb’s always been crazy...”

The jailer took up a sentry position on the other side of us, across from his companions. No one spoke. I was at the back of the line, Fishhooks in front of me. She flicked her tail from time to time, and I saw her head moving ever so slightly back and forth, from the barracks door to our jailer and back again. I found myself doing the same.

Feed...

I couldn’t ignore the hunger from my dreams anymore. It was still growing.

After a long while our jailer moved again. “You next,” he said, motioning to Holster. The stallion glared at our jailer, but did not fight back. I saw his shoulders slump as he stepped through the doorway and disappeared. Slowly, one by one, the others followed. I glimpsed the sun as it rose beyond the cloud cover, and after that the world grew much darker. I looked up. The clouds threatened rain soon.

Feed...

“You. Changeling.” Finally it was my turn. All the others had gone in already. The jailer followed me through the door. I went to the left, and another door greeted me. The last time I had been here, the room beyond had been full of lofts for Garlic’s underlings. Now they were gone. The NCs had installed two small rows of seating near the entrance, beyond which stood two podiums made out of sheet metal and repurposed wood. The smaller one was in the center of the room, facing it’s much larger sibling. Another flag of New Canterlot’s steel sun hung from it. My eyes widened when I saw who stood there. It was some sort of monster. He towered over me, even from this distance, his form so massive he had to duck his body to prevent his horns from scraping the ceiling. His head looked too small for the rest of his body. A squished nose and beady blue eyes gave him the appearance of a bull, but his arms looked closer to those of a griffin, and his chest was of a shape alien to me.

I could not stop to gape, however; my jailer pushed me forward onto the first podium, and a gate swung shut behind me, locking me into its unraised stage. I wasn’t sure what was going on here, but I did not like it.

“Changeling,” the beast before me spoke. “You stand accused of conspiracy against the Equestrian state, conspiracy against the state of New Canterlot, conspiracy to commit regicide, espionage, rape in the first degree, rape in the second degree, murder in the first degree, murder in the second degree, seduction through ignorance, kidnapping, ponynapping, and impersonation of royalty, government officials, and any or all other civil offices. How do you plead?”

I stared at him, agast. What did he mean? Did he think I’d done all those things? Why? I didn’t understood what half of that even meant. How could he know anyway?

The monster leaned forward, huffing in annoyance. “Changeling, did you not hear me? How do you plead?”

...guilty...

“Gilt—” I started to answer.

...NOT guilty, I said NOT guilty!

“Not guilty,” I blurted.

He sighed in annoyance. “As I thought. No early lunch.” He leaned back and picked up something from the podium. It was a small white sphere identical—possibly the same—to the one I had used when I kidnaped Tulip. He raised it slightly and then slammed it three times against the surface in front of him. “The Second Superior Court of New Canterlot is now in session. I, Iron Mallet, High Justice of New Canterlot, shall act as judge and jury for this trial. The defendant, this changeling, is charged by the state of New Canterlot of conspiracy against the Equestrian state, conspiracy against the state of New Canterlot, conspiracy to commit regicide, espionage, rape in the first degree, rape in the second degree, murder in the first degree, murder in the second degree, seduction through ignorance, kidnapping, ponynapping, and impersonation of royalty, government officials, and any or all other civil offices. Let it be known that the defendant has pleaded not guilty to these charges.”

By the time he was done speaking I had recovered enough from my earlier surprise to take a look around me. Beside the guard, there were several others here. A small goat—I’m not sure how I knew what a goat was, but I when I saw the ugly horned creature the name came to me—sat near the corner of the room, and seemed to be writing down everything the monster was saying on a stack of parchment that he had sitting by his side. My eyes widened when I saw Gleaming Armor behind me, sitting on the farthest bench in the back. Beside him was the cloaked figure, obscured even more so by the darkness of the room. The sight of her sent a jolt through me. She had caught me. She was responsible for this. I recalled her voice, and a vague sense of foreboding. My memory was returning, slowly.

Iron Mallet cleared his throat, and I snapped my head back around. “I will be honest with you, changeling, many of these charges are based only on supposition. You did, however, attempt to stalk our prince, and one mare has directly accused you of impersonating her. So it is on the charges of conspiracy to commit regicide, conspiracy against the state of New Canterlot, seduction through ignorance, ponynapping, and impersonation of government officials that I will focus. Did you, a day prior to this one, stalk Gleaming Armor, Prince of New Canterlot, shortly after he returned to the city of Bulbs?”

“N-no,” I said.

“Really? We have accounts from two witnesses that say differently. Do not lie to me changeling. Further deceit will only increase your punishment.” His eyes narrowed and he leaned forward, becoming somehow more monstrous than before. “I’ll ask again: Did you stalk our Prince upon his return?”

“I...” I swallowed. “Yes.”

“Hmph. Very well. Now, why did you stalk him? What was your intention?”

“I was just curious.” I couldn’t lie outright, I realize. I would have to be more creative to salvage my situation.

“Curious about what? It seems very much as if you were plotting to replace our Prince.”

“No, I... I was just gathering information.” I couldn’t let them know about my plan to get love from him. They weren’t far off already.

“Information? For whom?”

“For, uh... just for myself. I’m just curious.” Behind me the prince giggled. Iron Mallet scoffed.

“A circular argument. I do not believe you understand your situation changeling. You are a parasite to us. You should be thanking Celestia for even the opportunity to defend yourself. Do not squander it. I ask again: Why did you stalk our Prince?” He growled the last sentence, curling his lips into a scowl. I swallowed again, feeling trapped. I couldn’t get out of here. I was powerless and surrounded. But then I remembered—I wasn’t the only one in the world with plans.

“I was gathering information,” I said. “I was getting it for a ghoul. I don’t know why she wants it. She just hired me to get it.”

“Ghoul?” This time it was Gleaming Armor who spoke. “Did you say a ghoul?”

“Your Highness, please,” Iron Mallet said. He turned back to me. “What is the name of this ghoul?”

“Pitch.” I replied. “Professor Pitch.”

“And how did you come to meet her?”

“I... I found her research station. I was looking for someplace to sleep and I found her there.”

“Research station? Where is it?”

I pointed vaguely in the direction Rolling had taken me after we escaped. “That way. It’s abandoned and infested with zombies, which is why I didn’t stay.” There. That was a good foundation for a story. I was just getting information. A harmless spy.

Iron Mallet raised an eyebrow. “Very well, changeling, now answer me this: Did you impersonate the mare Tulip and attempt to seduce her late husband Garlic, the pony formerly responsible for the management of this ‘plantation?’”

The abrupt change of topic caught me by surprise.

“N-no,” I said.

Changeling—”

“I didn’t seduce him,” I blurted. “I-I didn’t. I just ate his love.”

Iron Mallet opened his mouth to speak, but shut it quickly. He looked puzzled. “Explain,” he demanded.

“I mean, I just... disguised as her and he gave me some love when he saw me. I didn’t try to, uh, do anything with him.” My mouth felt dry.

“Explain in detail, Changeling,” Iron Mallet demanded.

I froze, but only for a moment. I took a short breath and began talking. I told him about what happened in Bulbs. I changed some things. I left out Spare Parts. I left out Tumbleweed. I said that I had been looking for work on the plantation. I admitted to kidnapping Tulip. I described how their love had been too irresistible. I said I had only wanted a taste. One taste and then I would have left. If not for the battle I would have left. And it was true. I had meant to take his love—his life—and leave. I hadn’t meant for all that nonsense with Light Ray to happen. I had just wanted some love. The rest wasn’t my fault. I didn’t know any better. I wasn’t to blame.

I swallowed again as I finished my tale. My mouth felt dry. Iron Mallet’s expression had not changed while I spoke. He kept glaring at me with those blue, beady eyes. “And who was the sniper who killed Garlic?” he asked. “Mrs. Tulip told us of how you escaped.”

“I don’t know,” I said, forcing myself to shrug casually. “He killed him and left. He didn’t say anything when I asked why.” Iron Mallet narrowed his eyes.

“I see. Very well, Changeling, I have heard enough. I, Iron Mallet, High Justice of New Canterlot, shall now announce the verdict.” He cleared his throat, giving me the opportunity to wonder what a verdict was. “On the charge of conspiracy against the Equestrian state, I find you guilty. On the charge of conspiracy against the state of New Canterlot, I find you guilty. On the charge of conspiracy to commit regicide, I find you not guilty. On the charge of espionage, I find you guilty. On the charge of rape in the first degree, I find you not guilty. On the charge of rape in the second degree, I find you not guilty. On the charge of murder in the first degree, I find you not guilty. On the charge of murder in the second degree, I find you guilty. On the charge of seduction through ignorance, I find you not guilty. On the charges of kidnapping and ponynapping, I find you guilty. On the charge of impersonation of royalty, government officials, and any or all other civil offices, I find you not guilty.”

“As punishment for these crimes, we shall hereby conscript you into the Royal Army of New Canterlot. Minimum service of twenty years. Further infractions of the law will result in an extension of this sentence, demotion to more menial labor, or death, depending on the severity of said infraction.” Again he took the white sphere in his hand and slammed it down. “The court has spoken. This session is over.” As soon as he finished speaking he stepped down from the podium, and the goat with the parchment stepped over to meet him. Iron Mallet took the parchment from his assistant and then the two marched quickly out of the room through a door near the back of the right wall. I saw that his feet were hooved. Another anatomical oddity.

I stared at the door in shock, still trying to process Iron Mallet’s last torrent of words. At some point the jailer stepped up to my side.

“Conscript?” I managed to ask.

“Oh yes, Changeling,” Gleaming Armor called from behind me. “Conscription.” I turned around. He was standing at the edge of the seating now, the hooded figure lurking behind him. A playful smile was on his lips. “Were you expecting death for your punishment? Death is rampant these days. It is a plague, in fact. A plague born of the chaos of the wastes. I seek to cure that plague, and to end that chaos. And now you will aid me in that pursuit.” He trotted forward as he spoke, and was now at my side, opposite the jailer. His smile had only widened. I was torn between hating and fearing it.

“Your crimes are unique, but not extreme,” Gleaming Armor continued. “As I said, the waste is chaos. Why should we expect more from those who attempt to live there? We are quite forgiving here. We of New Canterlot believe in second chances.” He giggled again. “There are some crimes, of course, that cannot be forgiven, some ponies which must be made an example of, but, in most cases, we do not waste ponypower. We forgive your sins, and you, in turn, devote your work to us. Our justice is not a guillotine, it is a hammer; a sickle; a wall—it is progress.”

He had circled me, and was again standing beside the hooded figure. “My prince,” she murmured. “Your words are wasted on this creature. I insist you dispose of him. He will not stop his hunt.” The prince scoffed.

“Thank you for your concern, Aegis, but I am fine. If I may remind you: I once thought similarly about you.” He turned back to me. “Welcome to New Canterlot, Changeling. You are one of us now. We are the rock around which Equestria will rise, and you shall either rise with us or be ground away to nothing.” He smiled again, and headed for the door I’d come through. “I will see you later, Changeling. Goldstone, I leave the rest to you.”

“Yes, sir,” said the jailer with a salute. And without another word the prince was gone, followed quickly by Aegis. I had her name now. I felt excited about that, like I had overheard a secret. “Come with me, Changeling,” Goldstone demanded, breaking my brief moment of joy. I followed.

* * * * *

“Gleaming let this thing live?” Lute asked, raising an eyebrow. Goldstone had marched me to her office, which sat at the very back of the barracks. The room was sparse, with one filing cabinet, a flag of the steel sun, and a desk for the General to sit at. A picture of Gleaming Armor rested on one of its corners.

“Yes, Sir,” Goldstone replied. “He seemed quite pleased with the sentencing.”

“Hmm.” General Lute frowned at me. I glared back. “Fine. At least he will be marginally more useful than those mud-ponies. Give me a moment, Lieutenant.”

“Yes, Sir.” I turned my head to watch him go. He looked just like every other soldier I’d seen wandering around this place. Lute cleared her throat, and I gave her my attention. She, at least, had a different hair color. Beneath her bangs I could see a small scar from the head injury she’d taken in her battle with Boss. Her Cutie Mark also stood out. It was a curving red streak that ended in a cartoonish explosion. I had almost taken a liking to her before she opened her mouth.

“Changeling,” she asked, “what is your name?”

“Worker,” I replied. She smiled.

“Good. That’s a fitting name. Now, I can tell by that expression that you don’t like me. I don’t care. I don’t care if anyone likes me. All I care about is that you obey me. You are a soldier of New Canterlot now. That means you are under my command and the command of all your other superior officers. When you speak to us you will address us as ‘Sir,’ and when we ask you to jump you will never ask why; you will say ‘Yes, Sir,’ and you will jump! Am I being clear, Worker?”

I fought down my urge to lash out at her. “Yes,” I muttered.

“What was that?” she asked. “Louder, Worker!”

“Yes,” I said.

“Yes what?” she barked, taking an abrupt step toward me. Her horn was aglow with red light. I flinched back, eyes widening.

“Y-yes... yes, Sir!” I said.

“Good. You learn fast.” She stepped back, her horn cooling, and frowned at me again. “Normally when my army receives new recruits they are sent to bootcamp and trained to become proper soldiers. Unfortunately, we do not have the time for that right now, so it is your job to keep learning fast and obey our every command. There will be fighting soon. Sooner than we expect, most likely, and if you are to survive in our battles you must learn to obey. Follow your superiors at all times and you will be lead to victory. Do you understand, Worker?”

“Yes... Sir.” Battles? Fighting? This was all too much, too fast. I wanted no part in any of it. The second I could I’d slip away and try to find Rolling again. Him or Surprise.

“Good. Now understand this: just because we have decided to forgive you of your crimes does not mean we have forgotten about them. Prince Gleaming Armor and I have informed all our soldiers about you and your powers. Any attempt to leave this building without an escort and the permission of a superior officer will result in your execution. The same is true of any attempt made to remove that ring on your horn. Desertion is also punishable by death. Do you understand?”

“Yes, Sir...” I tried to keep my face neutral. This ‘conscription’ was just another form of slavery.

“Good. That is all I have to say to you for now, Worker. As of this moment you are a soldier in the Royal Army of New Canterlot. Welcome, Private, may Luna protect you as you slumber, and may you see Celestia’s rays once more.” She gave me a curt salute. I returned it automatically, and she nodded in approval, still frowning. “Good. You will bunk with the rest of the criminals in room D. Lieutenant Goldstone will escort you.” She pointed behind me. “Now get out of my sight. You are dismissed.”

I couldn’t trot out of her office quickly enough. Goldstone was waiting for me there. He nodded for me to follow him and then set off without another word.

...feed...

I finally had time to process what had just happened to me, but all I could focus on was my renewed hunger. I hadn’t had any sort of meal in almost two days. I would need to fix that. I took note of who I passed as I followed my jailer through the bunker. Or at least I tried to. Every soldier was identical to the last, except for those who had the odd marking or a medal on their armor. I growled in frustration. Even if I could disguise I wouldn’t have known who I was impersonating.

One of them heard me growl, and raised an eyebrow at me as I walked by. The gesture only worsened my mood. The most aggravating part of this experience was how little attention they all paid me, like I was an insect they had to step over. Even Gleaming seemed to only be amused by me. What? Was I not strange enough for them? I knew for a fact that none of them had ever seen a Changeling before—probably. Bunch of identical freaks.

I debated just making a break for the entrance, but all my instincts told me that was a bad idea. I would need more than a pair of fangs to fight these ponies. I needed my magic.

...feed...

After a short walk, Goldstone stopped in front of a door and motioned me inside, holding it open with his magic. I stepped through, unsure of what to expect. I balked in surprise and disgust. They were here. All the slavers, minus Boss. Hairpins and Tumbleweed were sitting on the ground, in the middle of some sort of card game. Holster was watching them, a distant look on his face. There were three bunk beds in this room, and Fishhooks was laying in the one nearest to me, her back turned. I cursed my luck. Why couldn’t they all just be dead?

You again?” I spat out the words. The three on the floor looked up from their game.

“Fuck you too, bug,” Tumbleweed said.

“Well shoot,” said Hairpins, “looks like ah owe ya’ ten caps, Holster.”

“Mmhm.” Holster just frowned at me.

I glanced back at Goldstone, reevaluating my escape idea. He had stepped forward to block the doorway, and returned my pleading expression with a stern look.

“You’d best forget your past grievances,” he told me. “These ponies will be your brothers-in-arms, and when we march, you all will march with the vanguard.” Before I could say anything more, he stepped out and shut the door. I heard a lock click. I groaned as I turned back to my new ‘brothers.’

“Don’t look at me like that,” Tumbleweed said. “None of us like it either. Don’t make it worse.”

Unfortunately, he was right; acting on my hate for them would not improve my situation. I swallowed my retort, and stepped past the trio of slavers to claim a bunk.

You!” The sudden appearance of the voice scared me almost as much as its venom.

A dark form jumped from the top bunk, tackling me to the ground. Before I could react a hoof was on my throat, pressing down. I gagged, my vision blurring from tears as I tried to shake off my attackers. I kicked upward, and heard a grunt. Somewhere to my left there was another shout.

“Whoa, there! Stop that!”

I heard more movement, a scream of frustration, and then the hoof was gone. I gasped for breath and rolled over, blinking to clear my sight. I coughed up green phlegm, but I finally recovered enough to focus on who had jumped me. I wheezed in shock.

“Let me go!” Tulip screamed. “Let me kill that fucker!” She looked much dirtier than the last time I had seen her, with small bags under her furious eyes and several scars around her flanks and torso. Also... was that a bite mark around her neck? She made another lunge for me, but Hairpins and Holster continued to hold her back. I flinched backwards.

“Calm down, missy,” Hairpins demanded. “Do ya wanna get yerself executed?”

“Fuck you!” Tulip shot back. “Fuck all of you! This is all your fault!” She broke free for long enough to point a hoof at me. “You ruined my life, you fucking body-stealing bug freak! I’m gunna fucking kill you!”

I hissed at her and backed away. I didn’t care what that guard said. There was no way I would be staying in the same room as this mare. We’d both end up dead. I kicked the door with a rear hoof and shouted for someone to open it. Tulip continued to struggle, but she was not strong enough to overcome two ponies. I gave another shout.

“Don’t bother,” Tumbleweed said to me. “Fishhooks banged on that thing for a good ten minutes when they first threw us in here. Nopony here cares enough to keep tabs on us.”

...feed...

“I am not staying here,” I snapped. “Not with her.” He shrugged and looked over at Tulip. She’d given up her struggle, and was now blubbering into Hairpins’ lap. Hairpins gave her a few halfhearted pats on the back and looked up at us, her expression a perfect mix of annoyed and confused.

“...’s fuckin’ bug’s fault...” I heard her say between sobs. My anger got the better of me.

“Stop calling me that!” I started toward her, and this time Tumbleweed had to restrain me. “We’re not bugs! And you should be grateful I didn’t just kill you when I had the chance! You’re lucky to be alive at all! You.... fuck you! Just fuck you!” She made an enraged sobbing sound and I tore myself away. I growled at the door and began to pace. Tulip’s crying was the only sound in the room.

“Why are you even here?” I demanded. I recalled the story Surprise had told me in the market.

Tulip didn’t respond.

“Why are you here?” I repeated. “Why? What did you do?”

“Enough already!” Tumbleweed said. “Shut up about your shit. I don’t fucking care.”

I growled at him too.

“Fuck this shit...”

* * * * *

...feed...

I was awoken by my hunger for a third time. I uncurled myself, and got up to test the door handle. Still locked. I had expected as much, but by now my pangs had become maddening, and there was no way I would get love from any of these ponies.

...feed...

The hate between Tulip and I had not gone away; after she had finished with her sobbing, she had retreated back to her bunk, but she had not turned her back on me. We had stared at each other for the rest of the day, with me curled up as close to the door as possible, while Hairpins and the rest continued to play cards. At one point Fishhooks got out of bed to use the bathroom (there was a small door near the back of the room I hadn’t noticed before) and shortly after she returned the light in our room turned off. That was the NCs’ way of telling us it was bedtime. So I’d stayed there, staring at Tulip in the darkness, twitching at every little noise the ponies around me made, until neither my fear nor frustration could fend off sleep any longer.

...feed...

Fishhooks sniffled in the dark. I ignored it, but it happened again, and within a few moments she had fell into a full-on cry. I ground my teeth together and stood. “What are you doing?” I hissed into the dark. She halted with an intake of breath.

“They killed him...” she muttered into her pillow.

“Who?”

“Boss.” She sniffled. “They killed him. He’s dead.”

...feed...

“Good riddance,” I said. She broke down again. I sighed in disgust, and went back to my spot on the floor. Why did she care so much?

...feed...

I rolled over, trying as hard as I could to ignore the hunger in my mind. It was no use. I couldn’t get back to sleep.

...feed...

* * * * *

...feed...

The door slammed open the same moment our light finally came back on.

“Up!” Goldstone shouted to us. “Get up, all of you!”

I wobbled as I stood. Already I was beginning to starve. Behind me the ponies climbed out of their beds. Goldstone yelled at them to line up.

“We do not have much time. Eat your breakfast quickly, then we will brief you on your mission and duties.” As he spoke another soldier stepped into view. “This is Private Sapphire. She will escort you all to and from the mess hall—except you, Changeling. You will be coming with me.” My ears flattened at his tone.

...feed...

The others filed out first. Tulip gave me a nasty look a she passed, and I readied myself to fight, but nothing came of it. Fishhooks was still sniffling. I followed Goldstone back down the hall, where we then split off from the others. He had his back turned to me, but there were too many soldiers passing us for me to try anything. Once again I felt the weight of the ring around my horn.

...feed...

“Here we are.”

Goldstone opened a doorway, and I was surprised to see that he had led me outside. This was where the shooting range had been. The area was fenced in now, and at each corner tall torches had been driven into the ground. They lessened the dimness of the Wasteland’s morning. Near the center, facing me, I again saw the hooded figure—Aegis. Beside her stood Gleaming Armor who was, as usual, smiling, even while in conversation with Lute. Goldstone pushed me forward, and the three took notice.

“Ah, excellent. Thank you, Goldstone,” Gleaming Armor said. “You may leave us now.”

“Yes, sir.” The door shut behind me. Gleaming Armor advanced.

“What do you want?” I asked, taking a step back. I glanced briefly upward. They were stupid to bring me out here. Their ring didn’t affect my wings.

“I know what you’re thinking, Changeling.” The prince laughed. “If you try to escape now, all you will bring to yourself is unneeded pain. Corporate with us.” He was not asking.

“What do you want?” I repeated. He was circling me again, running his eyes up and down my body.

“Information,” he said, stopping in front of me. “We’re going to do some experiments.” He brought a hoof to his wrist, and I noticed that he had acquired a PipBuck. Around its edges his coat was stained pink. He chuckled, and my eyes darted back up to his.

“I see you recognize it. It detects your kind quite well, but it has surprisingly little information about you or your capabilities. I intend to fix that.” He set his hoof back down. “Lute, if you would, remove his ring.”

...idiots...

I forced myself not to smile.

“Sir.” Lute frowned, but she did not pause to carry out his request. Her horn lit up, and I felt the ring slip off. A shiver went through my body as it passed the tip, and then my magic was back again. I didn’t waste a second. I bolted sideways, jumping into the air and flapping as hard as I could. One of Gleaming’s energy barrier’s appeared in front of me, but I quickly dodged under it. I felt a brief exhilaration, but then Lute shouted something.

“LASER!”

A streak of red flashed past me, crackling in the air, and my right wing exploded into pain. I cried out and fell, slamming into the ground. I gasped for breath, in too much pain to fear further retaliation.

“I warned you,” Gleaming Armor said. “Cheap tricks will not work here, Changeling.”

I screamed, twisting to see what had happened. My right wing was almost entirely gone, the edges of what was left were charred and oozing. I could do little but curl up and moan until the pain faded to a tolerable throb. I began to feel sick.

“Get up, Changeling,” Gleaming demanded. “I do not wish to waste any more time.”

I didn’t move.

“Do you want to lose the other wing?”

I brought my head up. He was not smiling anymore. Lute’s horn was still glowing red with energy. I wobbled to my feet, suppressing my queasiness.

“Good. Now, if you cooperate from here on out, I will heal your wing. You will cooperate, correct?”

“Yes,” I choked out.

“Good. Now, we want to test the limits of your powers. Impersonate Lute.”

I grimaced as I focused my magic, but the pain lessened greatly as my spell completed. Gleaming smiled again. “Glorious!” he said, looking back and forth between us, “an exact duplicate! Impersonate me.”

I obeyed.

“Ah ha ha! Very good, very good... but much too somber. Now, impersonate Goldstone.”

It took me a moment, but I recalled that his Cutie Mark had been a closed lock. Marks were the only way I could tell soldiers apart.

“Good. Now...” His smile widened into a grin. “Impersonate Aegis.” I heard the cloaked mare take a sharp breath. Lute smirked at that.

I focused my magic, but the spell would not complete. I hadn’t seen any of her. I couldn’t form any sort of picture in my mind. “I can’t,” I said.

“Hmm, I see, I see...” Gleaming Armor resumed his circling. “But this is nice, very nice...”

...feed...

“Sir, the idol?” Lute suggested curtly.

“Ah yes! I’d forgotten. Show it to him.”

With another burst of magic, Lute produced a small object from her saddlebags and floated it in front of me. “Impersonate this,” she said. I squinted at it. It was a figurine of a mare, similar to the one of Rainbow Dash that Professor Pitch had, but this was of somepony different. White coat; flowing purple hair; it was in such pristine condition that the small pony practically glowed in the bleakness of the morning. On its base were the words “Be Unwavering.”

Rarity....

The name and a new memory soured the beautiful sight, and I took a small step back.

“It won’t work,” I said without thinking. Even if she were still alive, I’d never want to wear her skin.

“Try,” said Gleaming Armor.

“It won’t work,” I repeated.

“Your commanding officer is ordering you to try,” Lute said, narrowing her eyes.

I gulped, and ruefully focused my magic. I thought of her hair. Of her coat. Of her Cutie Mark. Of everything she had her friends had done to us. Of the pain and humiliation. I thought of Canterlot, and the castle we had lured them to. I thought of her eyes, and finally the spell triggered.

What?

“My oh my!” Gleaming laughed. Lute scoffed. Aegis gasped.

Impossible!

I gasped as well, and turned in a circle to examine myself. I was her. I was Rarity. Quickly, I tried others. Bright Lights; nothing. Spare Parts; nothing. Garlic; nothing. Boss... nothing. I looked at the trio in front of me, slackjawed. This was impossible. She was dead. They were all dead. They were—

...feed...

I felt something much more horrifying.

“Excellent, excellent!” Gleaming Armor said. “Mmm.... I’m very impressed. I never thought I’d be able to see the legendary beauty; Rarity in the flesh!” I looked up at him, unsure of what to do. “Yes, very impressed...”

...feed...

Despite myself, I reached out to taste his lust. I shivered, but kept drinking. I was a bitter, viscous syrup. I did not want it, but it was the first meal I’d had in days. I couldn’t stop my leaching, even as he continued to circle me. I could feel where his eyes were going. I tensed as he touched a hoof to my back.

“I told you this Changeling would be useful, Aegis.” Gleaming shook me slightly as he spoke, like he was showing off a new toy. “Just look at it! Look at what it can do!”

“Reconsider, my Prince,” Aegis pleased. “You cannot tame this creature. All it knows is hunger.”

“For once I’m with her, Sir,” Lute said. “He’s too dangerous.”

“All criminals are dangerous. That is why we shackle them,” Gleaming retorted. “Now, Lute, if you would: take care of the Changeling. I’ve seen what I needed.”

“Yes, Sir,” Lute said with a sigh.

“Good.” The prince took one last look at me, winked, and then trotted back inside. Aegis moved to follow, but paused near the doorway. I turned around as Lute’s horn began to glow. The null ring hovered in the air between us, tinting the world red. She narrowed her eyes at me, and the ring floated forward. I tensed, but I couldn’t bring myself to resist. My disguise faltered the moment it slipped onto my horn, and I hissed in pain as my burnt wing reappeared.

“Oh right,” Lute said. “Aegis, give me a potion.”

I heard the cloaked mare tisk in annoyance. “It is here,” she said. “But never call me by my name again, little pony. You do not have the right to be so familiar.” Something flew over my head and landed in Lute’s magic. She shoved the bottle toward me, and I grasped it gratefully in my forehooves.

“Oh, is that an order your highness?” Lute asked. I splashed the healing potion onto my injured wing. I managed not to cry out in pain as it regrew, but the feeling still sent shivers down my spine. When the process was over, looked up to see Aegis and Lute locked in a staring contest. Or at least I assumed Aegis was staring. I still could not see her eyes.

“All words of mine are orders,” Aegis finally said. “That is the consequence of my title.” Lute opened her mouth to retort, but Aegis cut her off. “Speak no more of this. We have told this creature too much already.” Lute grimaced, sparing a glance at me.

“Yes, ma’am.”

Aegis nodded and turned, following in Gleaming’s hoofsteps. Lute motioned toward the door. “March, worker,” she said. I did, glad that this ‘testing’ session was over.

“Why do you hate Aegis?” I asked her after a moment.

“What was that?” she snapped.

“W-why do you hate Aegis?”

“I can’t hear you, Private!”

“Why do you hate Aegis, Sir?” I tried again, forcing a smile.

“None of your Celestia-damned business!” I dropped my smile. She wasn’t going to just give me information. She hated me, I knew, but at least I’d learned one thing from her: Aegis was the princess I’d been looking for. She’d called her ‘your Highness,’ and I could think of only one explanation for that. I allowed myself that little victory. I hadn’t failed in my quest after all! I could steal her love, or Gleaming’s love... I would just have to do it when everypony knew who and what I was. I didn’t know where to begin, but I couldn’t think of many other options at this point. I had to succeed. Otherwise I would starve.

...you dense fool...

* * * * *

“What do you know about the hooded mare, Aegis?” I asked Hairpins. Lute had dropped me off at the mess hall—which felt surprisingly spacious for how small this building had looked on the outside—and after deciding that I didn’t want any of the brown mush the cook was serving, I had joined my fellow captives at their table. I didn’t really want to sit with them, but I wanted to sit with the soldiers even less, and all tables were occupied. Tulip had glared daggers at me when I approached, but the others had hardly reacted. They had eaten in near silence until I spoke.

“Not much. Only that she gives me th’ willies. Her ‘n’ that creepy prince she always follows around.” Hairpins slurped at her bowl, and looked across the table at Fishhooks. She was still sulking, and had not touched her meal. “Fishy, starvin’ yerself ain’t gunna bring the bastard back.” Fishhooks didn’t respond, but after a moment she sighed and started eating slowly. Hairpins turned back to me. “Ah didn't even know she had a name. Why’d ya’ ask?”

“No reason,” I said. Hairpins frowned.

“If yer lookin’ t’ get in ta th’ prince’s pants, ah c’n tell ya right now that that freaky mare ain’t th’ way t’ go. Whatever they got is strictly business. An’ ah don’t think it’s that kinda business nether. They got some dark magical plot brewin’, I c’n tell.”

"Dark magic?" What was she on about?

"Sure, like, uh... what was it you were sayin' earlier, Tumble?"

Tumbleweed, who was sitting at her side, looked up from his half-empty bowl. "I didn't say anything," he said briskly. "It was Holster that said it. I still don't believe him." All three of us looked across at Holster.

"Dark magic," he said. "Balefire, necromancy, mind control, that sort of shit. The kinda magic that poisons your soul. I think that's what these ponies are after. That's why they're working with that zebra."

"Zebra?" I frowned.

"What the hell are you talking about?" asked Tulip.

"You said that mare's name was Aegis, right Changeling?" I nodded. "That's a zebra name. That explains why she's trying to hide herself."

"Bullshit," chided Hairpins. "How do you know that's a zebra name?"

"I was around when they were raiding a few years back. I heard enough to recognize. Besides, does 'Aegis' sound like a pony name to you?"

“Yeah okay... but why the hell would these bastards work with zebras?” Tumbleweed jerked a hoof at one table of soldiers.

“Quiet!” whispered Holster. “And like I said, they want dark magic. You’ve heard all that mumbo-jumbo about how they’re gunna ‘revitalize the Wasteland’ and whatnot, how do you think they’re gunna do it? Not with this little army, that’s for sure. Look, I...” he glanced around, to be sure he wasn’t being overheard. “There was this one time, right before the NCs came down and smashed those zebras in Chard. I saw some shit. Stumbled into a group of those zebras raiders hiding out in an old barn. They were chantin’ around some weird circle of green fire—”

He looked up abruptly. I turned, scooting closer to Hairpins when I noticed that Goldstone had appeared behind me. The jailer pursed his lips.

“Making friends, are we? Good. We are expecting a counter-attack from the Steel Rangers soon, and we need every one of our soldiers ready for battle.”

“How soon?” I asked. Goldstone smiled.

Very soon. Now get up, all of you. The general wants her new recruits to get some training under their belts before real combat.” He whisked away the plates on our tabled with his magic, and nodded toward the door. Hairpins grumbled about having her breakfast cut short, but the rest of us obeyed silently—I made sure to keep my distance from Tulip as we were marched back through the barracks.

* * * * *

“TASER!” Lute screamed again, and again I barely managed to juke the blue bolt that flashed from her horn. I stumbled and fell, and when next she shouted I could not manage to roll away in time. I gargled in pain as my body spasmed as electricity washed through it. The shock was over after only a moment, but it left my limbs numb and useless. Lute grinned down at me from the platform she stood on.

“Good, you’re getting better. Now get up and do it again, dirtbags!”

We were out in the shooting range again, and this time we were the targets. Our ‘training’ was little more than a race: we began at the edge of the barracks and had to made it all the way across the range without getting hit by Lute’s magical bolts. The general herself stood on a raised stage that had been built at the back of the yard. If we could touch the stage we would ‘win’ that particular race. Even after several hours, the best anyone had managed had been almost two thirds of the way across the yard—where I now lay.

“I hate this,” I muttered as I slunk back to the starting line. Goldstone was still sitting near the doorway, watching us impassively.

“Ya know, ah ain’t even mad anymore,” Hairpins drawled. “Ah just want this shit t’ be over with so ah c’n sleep.” Her whole body sagged, and her mane had started to droop after all this exertion. I probably did not look much better. All my limbs were sore, and even though my wing had healed its earlier wound, it still ached at the memory of what Lute had done to it.

...feed...

Already my hunger was creeping back.

“On your mark... go!” Lute shouted, and we were off. Pain shot through my tired muscles, but once I was in motion my aches were forgotten. I sprinted forward, breaking into a sporadic zig-zag as soon as Lute sent a bolt my way. She could only fire at one spot, but she still managed to keep all six of us on our hooves for the first several meters. Holster was the first to fall, followed by Tulip and then Fishhooks. Lute’s barrage intensified, and I felt my horn tingle as one of her blue bolts nearly hit its mark. Miraculously, I managed to make it to my record, and saw that nopony else had fallen. A trio of shots flew at me; I ducked and was forced to scamper backwards in order to avoid them all. I launched myself forward to regain momentum, and saw Tumbleweed nearly trip into a bolt. Hairpins had managed to get farthest ahead, and just as I thought she might make it Lute rushed across the platform.

“FLASH!” she cried. White light burst from her horn, blinding me. I yelped and stumbled forward, putting my head down instinctively. “TASER! TASER!” I heard Hairpins go down. I blinked to clear my vision, but a million pins of fire plunged into my back and I collapsed. I groaned in pain as my senses returned, and looked up at the mare I was quickly beginning to loathe. She was looking down at Tumbleweed, bemused. The stallion had a forehoof planted firmly on the edge of the stage; the rest of him sagged.

“Excellent work, soldier,” Lute grumbled. “Your performance was almost impressive for a mud-pony.” Tumbleweed’s eyes widened in rage, and he lunged upward. Lute shot him down with a bolt to the chest. She frowned. “Goldstone! Take these sad excuses for soldiers and drill them on formations. I won’t accept this level of weakness in my army. If nothing else you will be memorable canon fodder.” She jumped down, stepped over the still-recovering Tumbleweed, and trotted across the yard.

I began to rise, but Lute halted shortly after she passed. She looked back at me with an annoyed expression.

“What?” I grumbled.

“Gleaming wants you. Now.”

What?” I tensed.

“Get up you maggot. I have better things to do than foalsit the likes of you.” She continued forward, and I had no choice but to follow. I was too weak to resist; each step was a battle against invisible mud. At least I would be spared any more of this training.

* * * * *

“Tell me, Changeling, do you know what this is? I believe you’ve utilized one before.” Gleaming Armor balanced the white sphere he was referring to on a forehoof, the usual smile on his face. We were in his bedroom; a simple room with only a desk and a straw mat with some bedding. Lute stood behind me, guarding the doorway.

“It’s a magical trap.”

“Hmm.” Gleaming pursed his lips. “That is an interesting way to think about it, but no—this is a memory orb. We found it here, among the spoils we took from Garlic. I gifted it to the honorable Iron Mallet upon our most recent victory, but I have since found need to use it.” His face softened, turning reflective. “It was quite embarrassing, to ask for a gift to be returned. Were that minotaur a more prideful person I’m sure he would have been enraged at the offense. But even then it will be worth the damage; if you make it so.”

“What the hell do you want?” I was tired of his pretentious spiels. Even now I was fantasizing about ways to kill him.

“Gaze into it. I need you to see somepony who is in here, and then I need you to become them.” I stared at him, waiting for him to continue. He frowned. “Applejack. She is the orange mare who appears briefly in the beginning. Note her and remember her. This memory is rather long, I’m told, but it is the only way I have to show you her image. Do you understand?”

“Yes,” I mumbled. As much as I hated him, I was in no position to resist his requests. I was tried, and even with my magic I would not be able to fight these two ponies.

“Very good. Lute, if you would.”

“Yes, sir.”

I felt the ring come off, and my magic return. Gleaming presented the orb to me, and smiled. “Just touch it—reach out with your magic, and the memory will do the rest.” I hesitated. “Must we clip your wings again, Changeling?” I sighed.

“No.” Lute opened her mouth, but I had already triggered my magic. The world rushed away as my mind was thrown back into the abyss of time.

<-=======ooO Ooo=======->

I was not me. This body was purely female; rigid and unchanging. The notion was the first thing I felt. I then noticed where I was: a roadway, lit brightly by the sun above. My head moved against my will, and I saw the mare Gleaming had mentioned. Applejack stood near the door of a vehicle, two ponies in what resembled dumbed-down Steel Ranger armor at her sides. It struck me then that I had seen her before, on that poster in Bulbs—but even if I had remember earlier I would not have told Gleaming. I would give them nothing for free, I vowed, and even if this memory gave me trivial information, I would still learn something about the past from it. The mare I inhabited grinned.

“See you soon Applejack! I’ll make sure to say hi to Twilight for you!” At once, I recognized her voice; the high and piercing whine of Pinkie Pie. I wanted to cringe at the sound of it, but I could not express myself in this state.

“Thanks, Pinkie. Ah’m glad we got ta chat.” The orange mare gave a final wave goodbye, and stepped back into her vehicle. Pinkie flailed a hoof in the air until the door closed, and began bouncing away the moment after. I could not believe what I was experiencing. She bounded down the sidewalk, humming a tune to herself with her eyes closed, utterly oblivious to the dozens of ponies she was no-doubt nearly colliding with.

Mercifully, the sensations ended quickly, and she settled down to a trot after fishing through her hair for... something. She did not look at what she had removed, but from what I could tell it was some sort of small metallic case that rattled as she opened it. With a swift movement of her hooves she popped what felt like a small pill into her mouth and swallowed. She then returned the tin to its place in her mane.

I had no idea what the pill was, but if it had any effects on her, I couldn’t feel them. Pinkie continued to trot forward, glancing left and right to take in the scenery, and I was forced to take it in with her. Around her was a cityscape, with buildings taller and more numerous than I had ever imagined. The streets were full of ponies, carriages, and the odd vehicle I couldn’t identify. We passed a small flower shop on one of the street corners, and Pinkie paused to take a whiff of some red and yellow buds. The smell was pleasant, but dull. Pinkie smiled at the nervous-looking store owner before resuming her lively trot.

These sights and sensations stirred something in my mind. This was normal; this was what Equestria had been like before the end of the war. Moving; busy; alive. Surely I could had never gone hungry here... and yet somehow we had starved.

...feed...

As Pinkie continued, the details of the city began to reach me. Reminders of the war were everywhere; above us on billboards and posters, and around us in the windows and walls of buildings.

“Work for Equestria... Fight for Equestria!” they said.

“Let’s all fight: Buy war bonds!” they demanded.

“Never trust a no-pony!” they warned, “Zebra eyes are zebra spies!”

“Pinkie Pie is watching you! Forever!”

On they went.

Pinkie looked over at a pony reading a newspaper. The headline began “Zebras strike in—” but the rest was lost under a fold. He glanced up, and Pinkie smiled, but his eyes widened, and he quickly looked back down. Pinkie’s ear twitched, and I felt her cheeks drop infinitesimally.

We reached her destination abruptly when she halted in front of a pair of sliding glass doors. Pinkie checked her sides and back—presumably to see if she had been followed—and then glanced up at the lettering above the storefront: “Berry Wears: For all your medical needs!” The words even had the same mare I’d seen in Chard leaning over them. I would have raised an eyebrow if I could have, but Pinkie only smiled and walked through the doorway.

The store was dimly lit, and Pinkie skipped to the back before I could take in much detail. The space was smaller than I had expected; more than twice the size of Gleaming’s room, but not by much. The walls and several shelves were lined with organized rows of products, but Pinkie seemed more interested in the mare at the counter. She was purple with a lighter mane, and for a moment I saw Twilight Sparkle. But this was not that mare. Her hair was clumped and messy, with several strands of grey beginning to grow in. She was leaning back in a chair, taking a deep swig from a blank brown bottle while reading another copy of the news. When she saw Pinkie approaching she smirked.

“Hiya Berry!” Pinkie chirped.

“Well hey there, Pinkie. What brings you to Baltimare?”

“Me and Twilight have some super secret war stuff to talk about today, but she’s busy giving another of her boring speeches right now and I’m almost out of Party Time Mint-als! And a Pinkie without her parties is just no Pinkie at all, you know?”

“Oh yes, oh yes.” Berry nodded, getting up and walking around the cashier desk to put hoof over her friend’s shoulder. “Don’t worry, I’ve got plenty of them—as many as you want! But you know we’ve got franchises all over, right? Don’t tell me the Pinchy’s been doing bad business in Ponyville...” She frowned, concerned.

“Oh of course I know that, silly. I had plenty the last time I bought them, but now I don’t anymore— simple as that! And I’m always so busy now keeping everypony safe and finding all these stupid spies!” She stomped a hoof down and huffed in disgust. “But you know that, Berry. That’s why I need them so bad. I... I just can’t do this on my own anymore...” Strangely, I felt her hair droop slightly as she said those last words.

“Of course, of course. Nopony can Pinkie. Nopony can save the world on their own. That’s why we all gotta have friends, am I right?” Berry shook her slightly, bending to show Pinkie her smile. “So tell me, you need anything else, or are the PTMs it?”

“Nopey-dopey!” She lifted her head up and smiled again. “Although... lately my Pinkie-sense is getting weaker, even with the Party-Times. They don’t help me as much as they used to. Do... do you have anything stronger? Or do I just need to eat more of them?” Berry’s eyes widened, and she gave her a funny look.

“Stronger? Oh-ho girl I’ve got plenty of things that are stronger, but I—”

“Give it to me!” Pinkie demanded, practically pouncing on Berry. “Pretty please! I’ll take as much as you can give!”

“Whoa, take it easy.” Berry frowned. “I’ve got stuff that’s stronger, but I don’t think it’s the right kind of strong.”

“What!?” Pinkie snapped. “What does that mean?”

“I mean the effects... aren’t as focused as the mints. They help you think, right? Well the stronger stuff boosts... everything. It’s... look, I can’t actually sell it normally without prescriptions; it’s strong stuff, Pinkie. You can’t just take it willy-nilly.”

“I don’t care, Berry, I need something stronger. I need it, or else everypony is going to get hurt, I... I can feel something big coming. Something really big, Berry. If my Pinkie-sense can’t figure out what it is, nothing can. It’s still a ways off, but... I’m... I’m the only pony who can stop this, Berry. Please, Berry, please...” Tears welled up in her eyes, and I felt her lip quivering.

Berry looked Pinkie up and down. “Alright,” she said. “I’ve got some samples in the back. Follow me.”

“Yay!” Pinkie burst back into happiness. She bounced up and down as Berry unlocked the door to a storage space behind the main desk. “Oh this is so exciting! Stronger than Party-Times... Oh! Oh! What if they’re strong enough for me to see the future! Then I could save everypony for sure! I could see where they would be, where they are... I could win the war myself! I could just sneak in and stop all of those meanies and then nopony would be sad ever again! The war would be over and everypony would be so happy—!” The door opened, and she sprinted in. “Oh! What’s this? What’s that pink thing? It’s pretty! Oh wow, this is so well organized, Berry!”

“Thanks Pinkie...” Berry stepped in front of her and removed an inhaler from one of the storage racks. It was Dash; identical to the stuff I’d bought. “This is it. The strongest I’ve got,” she said. “But... look, Pinkie, don’t take too big of a hit on your first go, alright? This slows everything down, and makes you tick faster, but it can be too much to handle for some ponies. This is military grade stuff.”

“Okay! Okay! Just... can I have it now? I won’t take too much, I promise—Pinkie promise! Just let me try some. Please, please, pleeeeeease?”

“Yeah, yeah, okay. Here you go.” Berry held out the inhaler, and Pinkie snatched it up. “Just press that button and breath in, but not too much like I said—”

Before she could finish talking Pinkie had already put it to her mouth and taken a deep puff. She blinked for a few moments before frowning. Berry raised a concerned eyebrow.

“I don’t think it work—Ooh-ooooh—”

The world stopped.

Pinkie blinked. Suddenly, everything tingled. It was not a strong sensation, but suddenly it was as if there were a billion little balls all bouncing off of her coat and skin. Before us, Berry, who had been bringing up her hoof to gesture, was now frozen in motion. Pinkie moved forward, but the air resisted, and she had to shove her way forward—as if wading through water. My mind was boggled by the sensation.

“What?” Pinkie mouthed—no sound came from the movement, even when she tried to say it again. “What’s going on?” Still no sound.

Panicked, she began looking around—a process made difficult by the air’s newfound viscosity—and then finally decided to make for the store’s entrance. This took great effort; though the air was difficult to shove through it was still not dense enough to allow for proper swimming. When she reached the door she was panting, and opening it took an even greater exertion. Breathing was just as difficult: the air was heavy on its way in and out.

Pinkie grunted, and the door budged open. She gasped silently for both of us. The world was frozen—ponies were stuck mid-trot; a newspaper was suspended in the air, in the midst of being blown about by the wind; a stallion bent over a fruit stall in an impossible equilibrium. As Pinkie trudged through this silent sculpture, I felt her jaw moving over and over. “Twilight,” she was trying to say. “Twilight... help... Twilight...” I noticed, as we moved, that everything was tinted in a strange shade of blue.

We struggled along for minutes, managing to at last to get into the rhythm of an arduous trot. I could not tell where we were now: Pinkie had shut her eyes tight, possibly to block out the increasing blueness. All I could sense was her shaking limbs and her voiceless begging. Then, all at once, an incredible hunger. Not my hunger—physical hunger, and a weakness that swept through every inch of her being. She stopped, panting at the ground, but that only increased the strain in her chest. The blueness receded and Pinkie looked back to check her progress. That was a mistake. The resistance stopped, but at once she began to see a red tint and black spots, and though she gasped for breath no air came—the space behind her was a vacuum. Immediately, she turned back around, plunging her head back into the syrup of air. But her body’s weakness was still there. She floated downward, resting on her knees.

“Twilight...” she mouthed again. “Help...” She reached back into her mane, grabbing at the only resource she had. The resistance was incredible, but she tugged and tugged until finally it gave. She brought it down in front of her and smiled, but her expression dropped abruptly. A flame, bright and tiny, grew from its edge. Slowly, ever so slowly, the flame grew, spreading to encase the case while growing brighter and brighter until Pinkie had to turn her head. I could not know if she had the same realization as me: we were watching an explosion in slow motion. When its heat stung her hoof she tossed it away, opening her mouth to shout. I noticed the blueness around us fade away in a brief instant.

The world came rushing back to life—and then an incredible heat and the sound of a thousand whip cracks blasted me back to reality.

<-=======ooO Ooo=======->

I pulled away from the orb with a gasp.

“Incredible, isn’t it?” Gleaming Armor mused. “I believe the General put it best: ‘That’s some shit.’"

“Thank you, Sir,” Lute muttered, glancing aside.

“What the hell happened?” I asked.

“We are not entirely sure.” Gleaming shrugged. “But we are not here to explain strange, drug-induced memories. Show me what you learned. Change into Applejack.” He did not smile, but his eyes were eager. I closed my eyes and sighed. I pushed my questions down, and concentrated on Applejack’s image. Her face; the green of her eyes; her Cutie Mark... I focused my magic, thought of her as clearly as I could, and then—nothing. I blinked in confusion.

“Is there a problem?”

“N-no, no.” I tried again. I frowned. I tried again. “It’s not working.”

“What do you mean?” Gleaming’s eyes narrowed.

I tried again. “I can’t do it. I can’t disguise as her.”

“Did you not look?” He towered over me, eyes smoldering.

“I did! I did!”

“Describe her.”

“Orange—blond! W-with freckles and an apple Cutie Mark. She wore a hat!”

“Now disguise as her!”

“I can’t!” I yelled. Gleaming nodded to Lute. Before I could protest, another laser struck me. I screamed and collapsed as part of my foreleg evaporated. The world went red for a moment. When it cleared Gleaming was above me, and I was curled up on the ground, holding my nearly severed limb. Lute had hit me perfectly on the knee. Only a thin slice of flesh was keeping the two halves together.

“I do not expect you to understand such things as my desires, Changeling,” Gleaming spoke, “but I will show no mercy against those who seek to undermine them. Now change into Applejack.”

I could do nothing but gurgle. I felt sick.

“Change into her!”

“I... I can’t,” I pleaded. “We...” I gagged. I wanted to vomit. This injury was bad. Very bad.

“Why? Do not lie to me, Changeling.”

“We...” I gagged again. “We can’t... disguise as the dead...” My head swam, and I felt bile at the back of my throat. Pain continued to pulse through my foreleg. This was bad. I would never walk again. I could die from this.

“Yet you disguised as Rarity—is that the best lie you can conceive of?”

“Please,” I begged. “I don’t understand why... but we can’t—we’re not supposed to—” I forced myself not to heave. “—be able to—” But I couldn’t hold back any longer: I threw up, retching and sputtering. My wound exploded again as I inadvertently coated it in green slime. This only caused me to vomit more. But the pain suddenly faded. I collapsed onto my side, unable to say anything more as my limb grew numb. My world started to fade to black.

“Well, well, what is this?” Gleaming sounded curious. “How very interesting...”

I came too only a few moments later. Gleaming and Lute still stood over me, but the threat in their stance was gone. I glanced back and forth between the two, slowly catching my breath. I looked down at my leg. Whatever I had vomited up, it was not the contents of my stomach. The green goop had already hardened around my wound, filling in the flesh completely and wrapping the joint in a hard casing. I looked at it, and, on instinct, reached out with my magic. The casing glowed, then burst into nothing. A jolt of heat swept through my limb and—a miracle!—I saw that it was whole again. A small scar traced where the hole had been, but other than that it appeared as good as new. I allowed myself a smile.

...a good worker...

I stood up cautiously, testing my foreleg, and grew confidant enough to put weight on it. I looked at Gleaming Armor.

“Very impressive, Changeling. I have decided I believe you about Applejack.” He frowned. “This is unfortunate. When I first saw you I had hoped to subdue the Steel Rangers by symbology but alas—it seems their fate is to be that of all the other cancers in this land. As for you, we must think of a new use...” He stared at me, brow furrowed in thought. I glared back, unmoving. A cold fury twisted itself up inside me.

“Let me go,” I demanded.

Gleaming Armor smiled slowly. My fury turned to fear as I felt where his thoughts went. Hairpins had been right. I would find no love here, even as Aegis. This path was a dead end.

“Lute, escort him back to his quarters.”

“Yes, Sir.”

Again the null-ring went on. I did not speak to Lute as she marched me back to my quarters.

“In,” was all she said to me when we arrived. The door slammed shut behind me, and I made for my corner near Fishhook’s bed. Nopony else was back yet; or so I thought. A rustle from above me caused me to turn and look up. The knot in my gut unraveled into relief.

“Worker?”

“Surprise! You’re here!” I couldn’t believe it.

“Yeah...” The pegasus climbed cautiously to the ground. She was without her weapons, but still had her customized armor. “I figured I should save you, but after—” I jumped forward, wanting to hug her. She stopped me with a hoof to the chest and frowned.

“Er, thanks, but don’t... don’t touch me...”

“Uh, sorry,” I said, backing down. There was a pause.

“Look,” she said. “After this—when we get out of here you’ll owe me from now on, got it? Every one of these NCs is fuckin’ crazy.”

“Of course,” I said. “I’ll do anything. Just get me out of here.”

New Perk: All-Purpose Green Goo - You may heal yourself at any time without using a healing potion, but doing so drains your energy proportionally. +5 Medicine. (Note: The perk All-Purpose Green Goo and the perk Completely Corrosive Acid are mutually exclusive).

Author's Note:

Holy crap an update! Not even I can believe it. O_o

As always, I welcome all comments and criticisms. And thank you Kkat for creating this universe in the first place, and all the others who have worked so hard to help expand and enrich it. You're all really awesome. /)^3^(\