• Published 12th Nov 2012
  • 2,025 Views, 45 Comments

A Mask Named Majora - Dihinner



Majora desides to mess with link again

  • ...
3
 45
 2,025

The Second, Second day

A light rain cascaded down onto the busy streets of Ponyville. Many looked into the sky with worry and confusion. It wasn’t scheduled to rain today. In fact, the next rain was supposed to be in a week. But, the ponies didn’t have time to worry about that. They have a far larger and more concerning problem to worry about.

Yesterday there was a town meeting. It was concerning the moon.

Of course there was panicking and riots but after that had blown over, a plan was conceived. It was simple and plausible.

The plan was just to simply push it back into orbit.

Of course it was going to take a lot of strength to do it and it won’t be easy. But, the way to pull it off was for all the unicorns in the town to concentrate on the moon and try to push it back.

“Are you sure this will work?” asked Twilight to Rainbow dash, the one who thought of the plan.

“Duh, of course it will work. Why wouldn’t it?”

“Well, we have no idea how long it will take to move it back or if we have enough magic to do it,” said Twilight, “it’s a good idea but I think we need more time.”

“Time? Hah, if I can clear the clouds in under eleven seconds, you’ll have no problem with a bunch of other unicorns helping you,” replied Rainbow dash, “now, I gotta figure out what’s with this rain. Bye!” she said as she zoomed off into the clouds.

Meanwhile, Link and Epona were walking down a path leading back from the castle. They were inspecting the strange helmet that Laughter gave them.

“Why do you think she gave it to us?” asked Epona.

Link shrugged, he had no idea ether. But for some reason, he got a weird feeling in his right left foreleg when he held it. More specifically, the spot where the weird shoe was.

Maybe it’s like a mask,’ Link thought, ‘but, what could it possibly do?

The two walked in silence until they arrived back in Ponyville. The first thing they noticed was that all the unicorns in the area were gathered in the center of town to try and push back the moon with a huge amount of concentrated magic. Link and Epona stared at the sight, all the concentrated magic caused by the unicorns made a brilliant white beam at the moon. For a moment, Link thought they might actually be able to push it back, making his and Epona’s job much easier.

And then the ground started to shake.

A dark aura like thing started to shine off the moon as two large craters glowed orange, like eyes. This disturbed Link at how similar it looked like the moon from Termina. Slowly, one by one the unicorns started to fall from the exhaustion of the beam. Finally, one purple unicorn remained. But, her efforts were futile because the beam of light was non-existent. Eventually, she fell too. A crushing silence enveloped the town as the realisation dawned on them.

There was no stopping it. It was too big and they had so little time.

Somewhere in the distance, a wolf howled…

**************************************************************************

The library was silent. Twilight and her friends had, abet unspoken, all gathered here. The room had a crushing sadness in it that nothing in all their experience had they encountered.

Failure. Sure, they had failed before, but not a failure of this magnitude. When Discord had broken their minds and spirits it was Twilight who had helped them.

And not even Twilight could help them this time.

Of course, Pinkie pie still had a shred of hope, but it was fading fast with every shockwave that the moon caused. She was desperately trying to keep smiling despite the situation. Not even a party could lighten the mood of the silent library. A cool wind passed through a window that sent shivered down the ponies’ spines. Finally, Rainbow dash spoke.

“So, what now?” she asked.

“I don’t know,” replied Twilight quietly, she still hadn’t heard from Princess Celestia about Luna’s mission to stop the moon. But, from the failure today, she had come to assume that the Princess of the night had too, failed.

“What is going to happen when the moon falls?” asked Fluttershy quietly, hoping that her thoughts will be wrong about it.

Twilight checked the room to make sure Spike wasn’t able to hear her; she did not want him to be crushed by this. Not now. “Well… I guess we die.”

That statement just killed any thoughts of hope in the room. Pinkie pie’s hair fell straight and frankly, Twilight found that even more depressing that Pinkie pie, the most… energetic, happy pony she knew had been defeated by the cold fact.

They were all going to die.

Slowly, one by one Twilight’s friends left the house into the night to break the hard news to family and other close friends.

But none of them noticed the strange green light that flashed out of the clock tower…

*********************************************************************

“What happened?” asked Epona a Link got to his hooves. He groaned slightly, noticing something different.

First, the shoe thing and much of his strength were gone. And second, he looked into a puddle on the floor and beamed at it.

“He Link, what’s that?” asked Epona as she gestured to his head. On top of it was a green unicorn horn.

Link wondered what exactly happened, all he did before this was put on the strange helmet that Laughter gave him.

The helmet!’ Link thought, ‘it must be like the masks from Termina! So that means…’ Link pulled the horn on his head with his hooves. A bright flash enveloped him as the helmet shot off his head and landed on the floor with a loud clang.

“How’d you do that?” asked Epona. Link explained the masks of Termina and how the helmet was similar to them. “Oh… hey wait,” she asked, “so if you’re using the helmet, what about the shoe thing?”

Link paused, and then began to search for it on the cobblestone floor. When he found it, he gave it to Epona and asked if she wanted to use it while he was wearing the helmet.

“Hmm… I don’t know, from what you said the transformation thing sounds painful…” said Epona. ‘Then again, I guess I would be able to be more helpful with it…’ after a moment of thinking, she made her decision. “Eh, why not?” she said as she put on the shoe thing. She felt a sharp pain shoot throughout her body as her strength grew and her bones became sturdier. Finally, when it was over she noticed that Link had put the helmet back on. She saw Link yawn and noticed that she felt tired herself. ‘Tomorrow, we’ll find the ones Laughter was talking about. And then, we’ll be that much closer to beating Majora…