• Published 12th Nov 2012
  • 5,811 Views, 261 Comments

Awards of the Heart - Twifight Sparkill



• After saving the Crystal Empire, a modest Spike is left both confused and concerned with having been declared a national hero.

  • ...
6
 261
 5,811

The Wisdom of Kindness Pt. 2

Awards of the Heart: The Wisdom of Kindness Pt. 2by Twifight Sparkill

After being forcefully ushered into the feral chaos that made up Fluttershy's domicile, Spike found it hard to ignore the overwhelming noise and stench of woodland intruders despite the distracting ache that persisted behind his eyes. Fluttershy herself seemed unaware, expertly maneuvering between and amongst her pesky patrons as she led the injured dragon into the living room.

Having walked blindly into the letter drop outside Fluttershy's roost mere minutes prior (which admittedly took some feat for its placement making it an inconceivably difficult target), during his trip to nowhere in particular, the young dragon now found himself at the edge of the Everfree Forest and in the insisting care of a hermit veterinary pegasus. Although he'd presumed he wasn't seriously injured from his painful encounter, Fluttershy remained undeterred by contrary opinion.

No doubt there would be some grossly invasive investigation and subsequent diagnosis to come – actual medical credentials notwithstanding, obviously. Best to grin and bear it, the dragon figured.

"I'm so very sorry about the mailbox incident," Fluttershy apologized. "Please, sit down on the couch." She shooed the creatures aside as both made their way to the central daybed, amidst squawks of disapproval from her guests. "Are you in pain? Is there anything I can do for you, Spike?"

"I think I'm okay," he moaned. Spike checked his nose with a few careful swipes of his paw. No blood, nothing that would indicate any worrisome issues. The initial sharp shock was beginning to dull now, thankfully.

"How bad does it look?"

Fluttershy leaned in close, inspecting his snout with measured concern. It took her a long while, eventually lending to scrutinizing his scalp, chin, neck and upper body, to determine. She was agonizingly thorough, which left him uncomfortable.

"Hm," she hummed.

"Hm?" he responded, tilting his head curiously.

"Hm," Fluttershy repeated, though more deliberately.

Spike huffed impatiently.

"... well!?"

"I... I can't really say," the mare finally admitted. "Do dragons bruise easily? I mean, you're purple all over... it's sort of tough to tell."

The dragon sighed, hiding his face in his paws. He was already upset to begin with, now this? The fracas was infuriating, never mind the malaise he'd suffered since leaving the library. It was becoming too much for him.

"... and you do bathe in lava... I guess you look okay enough on the outside, anyway."

"Great," Spike growled, hopping from his seat. "I'm sorry for bumping into your postbox, and I look and feel okay. Right? I didn't realize I'd come this far outside of town, and I guess I didn't bother to look where I was going. Unless there's anything else, can I just go now?"

Fluttershy blanched then, displaying a sudden open horror that caused the dragon to forget his mood enough to flinch.

"Er..." he began.

"... oh my," Fluttershy gasped.

Before Spike could begin to muster a query, the pegasus quickly turned toward the feasting critters immediately about them in the room.

"Everyone out! Quickly! Back to your homes!" she bellowed in an uncommonly stern voice. Within moments, a flurry of feathers and fur erupted amidst a rushing departure, leaving behind an eerie silence.

Fluttershy stayed still, her back to the dragon, and all was quiet.

Spike swallowed hard, staring with wide eyes.

"Uh..." he wondered aloud, interrupting the peace, looking about the vacant house, "... should I leave too?"

"Oh goodness no," Fluttershy stated, spinning around to meet his gaze, fear painted plainly upon her face. "You are in grave danger, Spike. We all are."

---

Riding the train was delightful, Pinkie decided. The clickety-clack of the wheels, the merry tooting of the horn, the bustle of the passengers; all were a cheerful cacophony of sights and sounds that lent to a relaxing, exciting adventure. The countryside swam along outside her window, blurring vibrant wilderness and rural distance in a constantly changing picture frame, only slowing once in a while for whatever station came next. Despite herself, she was quiet and deeply enamored with the calm of travel.

"Beautiful," she whispered, taking a long breath as the procession came to a soft halt at some remote location. "I love trains."

Twilight wasn't listening, instead staring at the back of the preceding seat as if to burn a hole through it. As she had since boarding, despite being offered snacks and drinks.

"I love trains," Pinkie continued. "If I ever decide to be a hobo pony, it'll be because I love trains... and beans. I love beans cooked on an open fire. Oh, and shanty towns! Cooked beans and poor ponies, swapping stories about riding the rails and seeing all of Equestria... wouldn't that be fun, Twilight?"

The purple unicorn didn't respond.

"I don't think I could ever be a hobo pony, though," Pinkie muttered wistfully. "I'd miss having a home. I would miss Ponyville too much." She played with her mane idly, winding the curls around her hooves then pulling them until they sprang back into place, over and over in nervous habit. "The Cakes are such nice ponies, and I love foal sitting and making tasty treats... and I'd really miss all of my wonderful friends. It must be awfully lonely being a hobo pony, having nowhere to go or anyone to love. Don't you think, Twilight? Wouldn't that be terribly sad? Twilight?"

"Pinkie," the lavender unicorn finally spoke, "I need you to do something. It's very important."

The fuchsia mare blinked a few times.

"Okay!" she chimed, leaping to attention.

"Take this bag," Twilight directed, levitating a coin purse from her saddlebags, then placing it in Pinkie's lap. "Get off the train, go to the front of the station for exactly ten minutes, then open it up."

Pinkie wondered at the request, gathering the pouch as instructed.

"Mmka-aaay... and?"

"Go now," the unicorn beckoned. "Don't ask questions."

Pinkie shrugged, offering a salute. "Yes, ma'am! Pinkie is at your disposal! You can count on me! Your wish is my command!"

She hopped into the walkway, made it halfway to the exit, then looked back with sudden concern.

"Um... Twilight," Pinkie asked in a playful tone, "is it a surprise?"

"It is," Twilight nodded. "It's a surprise."

"Okee-dokey!" the earth pony beamed, hopping out onto the platform and into the depot. "I just love surprises!"

Twilight grimaced as her pink companion disappeared.

"... it's a surprise, Pinkie." she breathed, rubbing her head in distress. "I'll never forget you."

To Be Continued.