• Published 12th Nov 2012
  • 5,820 Views, 261 Comments

Awards of the Heart - Twifight Sparkill



• After saving the Crystal Empire, a modest Spike is left both confused and concerned with having been declared a national hero.

  • ...
6
 261
 5,820

The Wisdom of Kindness Pt. 1

Awards of the Heart: The Wisdom of Kindness Pt. 1by Twifight Sparkill

Pinkie Pie trailed vigilantly behind her petulant purple partner as they traversed the bustling Ponyville marketplace thoroughfare, though she'd pause periodically to greet any passerby she recognized – which subsequently amounted to noticing nearly every pony in the bazaar. Twilight's demeanor had become particularly prickly since they'd left the library in search of Spike, so she was mindful to keep quiet and any socializing politely terse. Eventually, the pair were moving towards Rarity's Boutique, located along the expensive district outskirts.

"... he's not here, Pinkie." the purple unicorn declared, coming to an abrupt halt in front of the store without so much as a glance towards it.

Pinkie had to take a few steps backward to respond, having unknowingly skipped by.

"He's not here where?" She flattened her face against a window, peering about the interior.

Admittedly, the fuchsia earth pony didn't know what the hay was going on beyond the barest facts; something about an apology and a missing dragon? That hardly mattered compared to the brevity of Twilight's sullen mettle – ever committed and resolute, Pinkie was dedicated to helping her friends no matter the crises or hardships, and so their current trek had led here thus far without any interruptions or nagging questions... from Pinkie. Until now, that is.

Twilight turned and started north, avoiding the dress shop altogether.

"I need to rectify this issue immediately," she muttered despondently.

"Okee-dokey!" replied Pinkie.

At least there were lots of things to look at and appreciate during their seemingly guideless jaunt through the boroughs. The tranquil townscape constantly changed, offering a completely different experience with each step or turn of the head. There were so many things happening all at once; ponies moving, ponies working, ponies living. The architecture played silhouetted against an uncut azure sky... Big Mac scratching his butt whilst in a queue at the pharmacy.

Distractions notwithstanding, Pinkie knew she had to escort Twilight for the time being. It was better for everyone involved, she figured, as Twilight could be prone to strong fits of yelling when irate or aroused from deep thought, and all her senses pointed towards something beyond even those recorded extremes.

Directly ahead of them now was the local train station, busy with pony bodies going to and from their particular destinations, awash with noise and excitement and frustration and everything akin to sordid railed travel. Passing a few slumbering ponies slumped in benches aside their luggage whilst waiting between departures, the two came to the ticket counter reserved for distant travel.

"Two tickets for Canterlot," Twilight murmured at the nonplussed sales pony behind the ironwork blind. "Preferably near the dining cart, if you please."

Pinkie hovered nearby, grinning from ear to ear – this was going to be an awesomely interesting trip, she was quite surely convinced.

"So, did Spike go to Canterlot?" she asked, finding herself unable to stay still or silent any longer.

"No," Twilight muttered as Pinkie began bouncing crazily in place. "There's something more pressing that we have to take care of now."

---

Initially, the problem had been a governable issue between two decidedly dissenting parties: one remained adamant that a particular item in question was theirs for having collected it first, whilst the other through raw brute force elected that they rightfully deserved it. Neither was willing to budge in regards to the matter of lawful ownership, so it became necessary for an unprejudiced entrant to justly negotiate a fair and legal decision.

Thankfully, an arbiter made herself available to mediate a peaceful outcome before any bloodshed occurred.

"Angel dear," Fluttershy cooed at the combative small white rabbit in her most placid tone, "I would really appreciate it if you'd give Larry his sandwich back. I know you're very hungry, but you have to be patient too. I promise I'll serve your lunch next. Is that okay?"

The bunny sighed, flattened his ears in defeat, and grudgingly surrendered the sandwich he'd forcibly ripped from a terrified tiger currently hidden beneath a decoratively patterned throw rug adorning Fluttershy's sparse living room.

"Good boy," the yellow pegasus hummed, scrubbing Angel graciously between his ears. The tiger collected his meal timidly then, careful to keep a keen eye on the markedly petulant hare. "You're a gentle pony for being so understanding. That means extra spinach for being so mannerly!"

The isolated tree house that Fluttershy dwelled in, located at the very closest edge of the perilous Everfree Forest, was alive with frantic midday activity – critters of every make and description scurried about in earnest as lunch was attentively served to them by their accommodating pony caretaker. Squirrels, eagles, owls and weasels all clamored for carefully placed containers piled high with appropriate foodstuffs, as foxes and raccoons tumbled about the floor in a maddened frenzy of barking, chittering chaos. The timid pegasus mare performed this daily feeding ritual without fail, satisfying all her animal friends – even those with the most finicky dietary requirements - with a graceful, unflappable expertise.

"Eat up my friends," she chimed, setting the last heaping bowls of food at the awaiting paws of her hungry guests. "I hope you all enjoy your meals."

Fluttershy turned to remark the calming soothe of her home's landscape then, setting down at a window closest to the view she preferred – the open, unfettered forest that marked the beginning of the Everfree Woods. Breathing a long sigh, she felt a blissful peace overwhelm the otherwise obnoxious noise of a hundred animals fighting over food, leaving her with a wonderful content that, to be frank, she simply couldn't explain to anypony else. No matter the work, no matter the task, this made her happiest of all.

This made her special. This made her essential and important. This made her efforts and intentions worthwhile.

It was good. Being needed, being necessary. Very good. Life was good.

---

Spike kicked hard at a pebble in the path, sending it skirting into the overgrown ferns and brush adorning the unkempt walkway he'd been idling along for some while now. He was frustrated and tired; at some point since the recent adventures of the great Elements of Harmony, Spike had found himself the unwanting object of ceaseless attention for a duty he performed despite accomplishing nothing of his own design.

He was told to leave Twilight's side, return the Crystal Heart, and he did just that. Case closed, right?

So why was it so damned important he own up to such on a grand royal stage for what ultimately remained a convenient turn of events? Why was it so hard to be in front of a nation of ponies and decided a hero when... when there was no actual heroism involved?

Following orders. Receiving instructions. He might as well be given the Equestrian Medal of Valor for sweeping dust off the library floor, for all he cared. Why did it have to affect everyone so strongly?

Why did... why did he have to carry the weight of a split-decision he wasn't even allowed to make himself? A reaction is beyond thought, in the sense that it remained an action in response to some influence; what made it an act of bravery when it was nearly unconscious?

That's about the time he walked into Fluttershy's mailbox, smashing his snout.

"Awp!" The dragon exclaimed, falling backward onto the dirt path. He lay still for long moments after the fact, his head having been so drowned in thoughts of other issues that it took his waking senses a while to process what had just happened.

"Oh dear," a voice managed nearby, though barely. "I knew I should have wrapped that awful metal mailbox in soft pillows. It was only a matter of time before someone seriously hurt themselves on it."

Spike rubbed at his poorly face, then regarded Fluttershy with a sigh.

"Right now, a knock to the skull feels awesome. Seriously."

To Be Continued.