• Published 15th Nov 2012
  • 945 Views, 16 Comments

A Sky Too Big - TripleStripes



Derpy has gone missing and it's up to Fluttershy to find her, wherever she may be.

  • ...
1
 16
 945

Friends

Tap tap tap tap Fluttershy's ears perked at the sound of her best friend's little hoof on her cottage door. Derpy's here! She thought, smiling. She opened the door, greeted by the smiling cross-eyed mare.

"Hi, Derpy! How are you?" Fluttershy grinned, stepping aside to let her pal in. She laughed to herself for asking this, she already knew the answer would be-

"As happy as a muffin in an oven!" Cheered Derpy, sticking her tongue out. The two pegasi trotted over to Fluttershy's little kitchen for breakfast, which the yellow mare had already laid out on her round dining table. Two cups of freshly squeezed orange juice, stack of pancakes in the center, with some bowls full of fruit, butter, and chocolate chips to top them with, a basket of blueberry muffins, and a small vase with a lone yellow daisy in it. Both of the ponies sat down and dug into their breakfast. Fluttershy finished first, leaning back in her chair to watch the sun rise. Nopony really knew of Derpy and Fluttershy's daily get-togethers. Fluttershy just felt it wasn't the right time, that her other friends wouldn't understand.

"So, 'Shy," said Derpy, snapping Fluttershy out of her thoughts, "Where do you think you want to fly today?"

"I don't know... maybe the lake route? We could go along The Everfree Forest, and take a break by the bridge. We'd be done by about 6:30," Said Fluttershy, stretching her wings slightly. Derpy nodded, finishing off her third muffin. And the gals were off. Excited, Derpy galloped out of her friend's door, got a running start as she began flapping her wings, giggling as she did a small flip. Fluttershy laughed as she flew up to join the wall-eyed pony. This is another secret. Fluttershy has never been that bad a flier. Maybe she was as a filly, but that was only because she was so small. She and Derpy have been been training together for years now, because it wasn't really hard to tell either of them were the best fliers ever, so Derpy teaches Fluttershy how to get higher up, and go a little faster, while Fluttershy teaches Derpy how to stay in place, and to stop without crashing. In reality, these two little ponies were the perfect pair.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next day, Fluttershy woke up early and walked up to Derpy's house. She rang the doorbell, but didn't here anypony inside. She rang it a second time, then heard some movement, and a loud yawn. Derpy answered the door, her topaz eyes full of sleep. Strange Fluttershy thought Derpy never sleeps late Fluttershy shook her head, it was probably nothing. Derpy gave another deep, long yawn, and waved Fluttershy in. They sat down in Derpy's kitchenette, like usual, but Fluttershy couldn't help but feel something was wrong with Derpy. She seemed... quiet. She was slumped in her chair, and she wasn't making any talk with Fluttershy. As more time went on, the more concerned Fluttershy got for her friend. Finally, she asked.

"Derpy, is... is something, uh, bothering.. you?" Fluttershy stuttered quietly, immediately regretting asking.

"What? 'Shy... I... uh," Fluttershy could tell she was getting nervous, as she watched the grey pony look around, and laugh nervously.

"N-never mind. Forget I asked. Soooo," Fluttershy looked around, desperate for something to change the subject, "Where do you wanna go flying this morning?"

"Fluttershy," sighed Derpy, a sad look on her face, "I'm not really in the mood for flyin' today,"

Fluttershy was shocked by this. Ever since they started flying together, they've only missed twice! The first time was when Derpy came down with a nasty case of Hay Fever, the second was when Fluttershy had to go to Canterlot to get her medal for stopping Discord with her friends. Either way, this was a problem Fluttershy couldn't ignore, something was wrong with her best friend. After breakfast, Derpy said she was sorry again, and Fluttershy left. As she walked, her wings twitched. She needed to fly, she needed to get Derpy off her mind.

When she got near the empty grasslands that surrounded her house, she jumped up and started flying. When she got high enough, she pointed herself down, and started gaining speed. The faster she got, the more she thought about Derpy. Tears started coming from her eyes, going straight off her face because of the wind. Was it her fault? Is Derpy hurt? Is somepony being mean to her? Fluttershy was screaming, thinking about what's going to happen now. Derpy was her only escape to keep herself from getting mad at her friends. Derpy was teased just as much as Fluttershy was at flight school when they were young. No... NO! Fluttershy can't lose Derpy! She was too important to her! She was the-

"WOW! Fluttershy! You're goin' fast!," Fluttershy almost screamed when her rainbow maned friend flew up next to her, "Have you finally been followin' my tips? We should totally fly together sometim- wait... are you crying? DID SOMEPONY HURT YOU?!"

"No... no, Dash. It's just, I... uh," Fluttershy looked down at the earth beneath them, "It's nothing, Rainbow Dash. Don't worry about me. Just keep flying, I'm fine,"

"No! Fluttershy, tell me! Was it those boys, Dumbbell and Hoops? Oh, they make me so mad! Where'd they go? What'd they do? Were they teasing you again? Did they-"

"I SAID I'M OKAY!" Fluttershy cried. She was getting upset. She needed to get out of here. Rainbow was caught by surprise when Fluttershy yelled at her. That pony never yelled. She knew Fluttershy wanted to be alone.

"Well, okay, I guess. If you need me, I'm here, Fluttershy..." The way Dash sighed her name out made Fluttershy want to disappear.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later that day at her cottage, Fluttershy has calmed down again, with the comfort of her beloved animals. When she came home, she cried with her bunnies, talked with her squirrels, and sang a little song with her birds. Angel Bunny convinced her that, as the Element of Kindness, it was her duty to make sure her friend is happy, no matter what it took. Fluttershy packed her saddlebag and set course for Derpy's house.

"Uhm... Derpy? He-hello...? Are you in here?" Fluttershy peeped her head into Derpy's house. There was no reply. Fluttershy looked all around the living room, nothing. Kitchen, nothing. All that was left was the bedroom. On her bed, there was an indent. Still warm and a little sweaty, Derpy was here, not that long ago. If she isn't here... she could be anywhere. Fluttershy got a lump in her throat again, and quietly sobbed, putting her head on Derpy's cozy little bed. As she shifted her weight on the mattress, she heard a crinkle, and the sound of paper falling. She hadn't seen it before, it was a scrap of paper (easily recognized as Derpy' penmanship) It said Help with a picture of a frowning face, and lost with a picture of some clouds and mountains.

"WHAT DOES IT MEAN? WHAT IS SHE TRYING TO TELL ME?" The stress was getting to Fluttershy again, and she knew she needed to calm down. She took a deep breath, and decided she should report a Missing Ponies Report on Derpy. She has to put a call in to Chief Golden Justice.