• Published 11th Nov 2012
  • 7,328 Views, 1,428 Comments

At the Grand Galloping Gala - RainbowDoubleDash



The Lunaverse-6 must navigate the treacherous Grand Galloping Gala in order to bring aid to Ponyville

  • ...
21
 1,428
 7,328

Epilogue - Look at Ponyville

Look at Ponyville.

Start in its north and east. Look at its apartment buildings and its residential area. Note the state of them. The walls are strong, and the cracked glass and broken windows have been removed and cleared away, awaiting an earth pony who is going to be practicing his trade extensively in the coming weeks. He hums happily as he works: he’d never expected this much business, but he is rapidly becoming a wealthy stallion, even though he is doing all the repairs at a fraction of the cost for his town.

Look inside any home. You’ll see beds, and sofas, and cushions for sitting on. They’re all in place, many of them carrying stains, but the stain are being scrubbed off and cleaned, some of them long overdue anyway. New furniture is prevalent, too.

Move to Ponyville’s east now. The wide-open plaza in this section of Ponyville is bustling with ponies. The Sweet Apple Acres stand is giving out apples, pulled in from vast storehouses and supplemented by what is already good to go. The other farmers are meanwhile even now organizing with each other, taking a break from repairing their farms even as they work together to make sure that everypony gets what they need to repair their livelihoods – and they even take advice from the orange earth pony in the Stetson on how to not just fix, but improve their farms.

Now move to Ponyville’s south, then up to its west. The south and the west of Ponyville are dominated by ‘proper’ businesses – that is, stores, with windows and wares kept inside four sturdy walls. This being a small farming town, the owners of the businesses frequently live in apartments over their shops. Ponyville has a little bit of just about everything available to its citizens, or it normally would. Not right now, but that will change soon enough. Whether the shop be for a clothier, a candymare, a jeweler, or a baker, these businessponies are already hard at work looking over their inventory, finding out what needs to be ordered and drawing up lists. Soon, they’ll be able to open again, and make sure that the ponies of Ponyville had whatever they want.

Now look at Ponyville’s center. The town hall has been cleaned up, the sea of papers that surrounded it gathered up and on the way to organization, and ponies go to and from it as a beige earth pony works with an auditor sent from Canterlot, the two ensuring that the large pile of cash bits that Ponyville has received to help its recovery gets to the ponies who need it as quickly as possible. The weather patrol station, meanwhile, has a new top for its cloud silo, though it sits open at the moment as a blue, rainbow-maned pegasi works hard with the rest of her team to wrangle in the fresh cloud shipment from Cloudsdale to supplement the clouds that they had already made in Ponyville. The Night Court Representative’s home, meanwhile, already has a new window.

Now head from the town proper, and out to the farms. Crops have been replanted, irrigation systems repaired or even enhanced. A carrot farmer is already beginning to see the fruits of her labor, and in just a week her carrots will be ready to be pulled from the ground. At Sweet Apple Acres, trees that have drowned due to a pond breaking its banks have been cut down and hauled off for firewood, while the pond itself is once more back within its banks. The apple trees are already recovering.

Now look to the skies. The sky is blue and full of white, puffy clouds, organized to perfectly balance the necessary sunshine for the crops with the equally necessary shade for the ponies who tend those crops. It is a warm day, but not too warm, and the pegasi have arranged for a constant, cooling breeze.

Ponyville looks like it’s been through a war. In fact, it had been through a party, a party not of the Ponyvillians’ own design, but one that had devastated the town. But, party or war, it was over, and the recovery process has begun. Slowly, the town is rebuilding itself. In some ways it will never be the same – in others, it will be better than before.

As the day closes, the sun sets, and the moon rises into the sky, six friends come together on a hill that overlooks the town. They’re all exhausted, some from physical labor, some from paperwork and scurring from one place to the next, but they’re all smiling at the sight of a town well on its way to recovery. A single thought burns inside the minds of every mare and stallion in Ponyville:

We can fix anything.

Comments ( 142 )

As Hawkeye Pierce would say, Finest Kind.

This oughta dispel the who "Ohhhh, it's so dark" talk.

Well, off to do the review...:ajbemused:

That was a fantastic ending, this fic was overall just brilliant! Thank you for all your work so far. :twilightsmile:
...can't wait for Crisis! :rainbowwild:

Well...

I won't lie. There's part of this I hated, parts I loved. Night Light never got his-and he deserved it. Don't even try to argue. The way you wrote him, he still deserves punishment. I loved the Night Court getting its head bitten off and Trixie's plan. I hated the almost-spiteful hell you put her through.

But all in all, good job. I'm glad I'm part of the Lunaverse, and this final chapter shows why.

Bravo! Encore!

Wow! What a ride...so much intrigue and plotting. There are a few things I'm unsure of. Like whatever happened to Night Light? What did Luna say/do to him during The Castigation? Or Fancy Pants? Surely he and Fleur are good guys.

Good read. It is nice to see this finished though, as at points it did feel rather massive. But it was a story you had to tell and it is nice to see completion. Thanks so much for spending so much time on it and writing such a solid universe and story. Look forward to your next.

It was a rough ride, but looks like we survived to the end.

Soooooo... crisis next? :pinkiehappy:

Love it.

....one thing though: WHat happens when Luna finda out what Trixie did to Blueblood? With the lie and such.


This needs to be addressed, RDD.

I wonder when the next "party" is?:trollestia:

Woohoo!!!

Wait, does that mean I've got a canon season and Lunverse season to wait for?


aawww, i have a sad..... :fluttershysad:

The bookend...is lacking.

2271880
The wait shouldn't be too long, I expect. Besides, the last few S1 fics and side stories are still finishing up, so look forward to those as well.

good story. The knighting of the Elements really makes me want to see at lest some conversation between the two groups of Elements because I'm sure that Rarity would want to be made a knight, or become important in some way, not the Element of Generosity

2272005:

Where done with corruption in the court, with the nobility as outright villains. That doesn't, however, mean we are done with the shadow games, the stuff the Night Court was supposed to be about before the narrative went the wrong direction with it. And that's a good thing, without a bit of duplicity the Night court would be a very dull resource to tell stories with, at which point we might as well have gotten rid of it all together.

I'm pretty sure 2271452 might hunt us down and wipe our hard drives if we do any more Court stuff after this. More seriously, Trixie's action is identical to the blackmail and extortion ('for good reasons') done by the other Courtiers that Luna chewed their heads off about. It undermines the point.

2272005
Fair point.

2272057

I'm pretty sure InsertAuthorHere might hunt us down and wipe our hard drives if we do any more Court stuff after this.

HOW'D YOU KNOW ABOUT THE ULTIMATE MEMORY WIPER 9001?!

I...I mean...uh...

Look behind you, something big and distracting! *escapes*

I really like the idea that Windowpane is becoming wealthy due to the constant destruction of Ponyville's windows ever since Trixie moved in.

And cue dance remix theme credits :pinkiehappy: Well done!

Well...That was an ending.

Ponies can fix anything! Go ponies.

Very good ending. I feel good about this. Not that I wasn't expecting this style of happy ending, but it was a good wrap-up to an exciting and harrowing story.

... and then Pinkie Pie gets to go back to Canterlot later to hang out with her new coltfriend. :pinkiehappy:

I really enjoyed this story, although I was sort of hoping for a scene with Greengrass as he tried to understand what had happened.

One question, was the knighthood honorary and/or something Luna made up on the spot or was it a previous establish rank? Trixie seemed to reconize it but they way Luna was talking made it look like she'd created it specifically for the occasion.

Anyway, I really Enjoy everyones writings and am looking forward to the next season.

2272777
Well, knighthoods in general already existed, and I think that Trixie realized she was about to be knighted. As for the Knights of the Realm thing...dunno, honestly. I personally think that "Knight of the Realm" is just what all knights are technically called, but it could be a specific order, I suppose...

I argued with Greengrass and clouds in one of his fics that the Lunaverse seemed hopeless and dystopian. The GGG changed my opinion completely. Thank you for this wonderful wrap up to season one RDD.:pinkiesmile:

I know in a blog after Keep calm and flutter on you were pretty upset about how discord was redeemed and said you were not sure if you wanted him in your fic anymore. I sincerely hope you still include him as I have wanted to see your take on the character ever since I saw how you handled Corona as a villain. :raritystarry:

Question: any epilogue refering Greengrass´ ultimate fate, I mean, after he stopped running away from the Gala like a chicken (like the ones about the musicians who failed to perform the Symphony of the Moon and the Sun)?

2275175
As per what Luna said, no information revealed while under the effects of the truth poison can be legally held against. Unfortunately for Greengrass that affords him no such protection from social stigma; after what was said no other noble in the court will ever deal with him again. He still has his noble title, his wealth, his territory -- technically his seat in the court as well, so far as I can tell -- but his days of any meaningful political influence are forever over.

He has been effectively locked out of the "game", still able to linger as a spectator, but never again to be a player. For a pony like Greengrass, that is effectively the worst possible and most karmicly suiting punishment he could ever be handed.

2278833
I've said it in the past - I view both Trixie/Luna and Twilight/Celestia to be in a daughter/mother kind of relationship, though with differences. Twilight/Celestia is more like a young girl and her mother. She still very much looks up to her mother, is convinced that her mother can't really do any wrong, and just in general has her mother up on a pedestal and wants nothing more than to make her happy.

With Trixie/Luna, it's more like a teenaged daughter and her mother. Trixie is a growing mare and wants to "get out of the house," so to speak, go out into the world on her own and make her own mistakes. She'll go against her mother's wishes simply to be contrary and knows that her mother isn't perfect - but, deep down inside, she still loves her mother very much, and wishes that she could get over her own ego and tell her that sometimes.

They have direct access to Luna? Didn't they already have that with Trixie's Hat?

2279075

Trixie's hat only delivers letters to Luna's desk and before, if any of them wanted to see Luna in person, they were required to go through all processes that anyone else would have to. Now, nothing short of Luna saying "No I don't want to see them" can stop them from having an immediate audience with her.

And so the story (and season 1) ends. I've got to say its been a worthwhile ride. It's had it's ups and down but I am still really glad I read and got invested into the Lunaverse in the first place.

I will agree though that this is the point where the Night Court as Villains angle needs to end. I say this as someone as whole actually enjoyed this angle but frankly, this story closed that chapter with such finality and with no real loose ends that frankly any attempts to continue it would just seem cheap.

While opinion on having the night court being corrupt is divided, I still stand by the opinon that this sort of story was the natural progression of Trixies developement. In the show Twilight's great flaw is her obessive nature and, intially, letting her desire to be a good student outwiegh her need to be a good friend. In Lunaverse Trixie's great flaw was her selfserving nature and, intially, manipulating the ponies around her instead of being a friend to them.

Like or hate the Night Court, I feel it was to Trixie what episodes like "Lesson Zero" was to Twilight, a look into what the extremes of their nature could be like if they didn't have friends to help them.

While first half was sometimes harsh and had a lot of rough patch, I still found it admirable to see to see what Trixie was willing to go through for the sake of her town.

The second half was a lot more hope filled and I was ultimately satisfied with how it ended. We also got to get some focus on Luna which I'm always a fan of.

Simply put I thought this was a really good story and the ideal place to finish season 1

I feel that Greengrass was handled very poorly in this story. You made his driving desire "Take over Equestira" instead of "Do what I think is best for Equestira". I was rather looking forward to him chastisng Luna and Trixie under the influence of the truth poison.

For some reason, Blueblood and Pinkie making pancakes makes perfect and wonderful sense. Aside from Greengrass, this was an excellent story.

2276595

Would he really? People now know that he has a disturbing ambition, but it's not like they thought he was a saint before. And any moral indignation they hold against him will be diluted by everything else they learned that night (factory-burning, evidence-forging, ect.)

Greengrass has been set back a couple years, definitely, but at the end of the day, he's still rich and he still has a vote to bargain with, and holding grudges isn't profitable in politics.

I reckon they'll be disgusted with him for a bit, but that'll ease away under the daily necessities of political life, and he could very well convince them not to take his outburst seriously. "I was drugged." "I've changed." "It was flowing through my mind at that second, but it wasn't serious." The last one is the best one, as we all filter out our most absurd thoughts.

Remember, Hitler wrote Mein Kampf, but still became dictator.

The big thing that would screw him is if he gets involved with anything that could bring Luna down on everyone.

Either way, no matter how it rolls with Greengrass, this story has the effect of downshifting him and the Night Court from primary threat to, at the worst, back-burner. And now Corona can take her rightful place as Big Bad.

(I apologize for replying to day-old comments. This would have been posted yesterday but FimFiction spazzed out.)

2287153
I suppose, but there is still Luna's ultimatum to consider as well -- that if any one noble screws up she's going to hold the whole court accountable. Luna probably won't actually throw out the whole court just because a single noble screws up, but there would still be concern that if a noble crosses her at this point she'll throw out any suspected accomplices alongside them.

Added ontop of his very public confession that he has zero respect for anyone else in the court (that he views them all as little more than playthings for his own personal amusment), Greengrass was pretty much always known slime and so most of the courtiers probably see him as the most likely one to step out of line. That's only going to further encourage them to further ostracize him because no one is going to want to risk being in any way associated with him.

So it's not only the grudges that will cause everyone in the court to shun him, but also a matter of covering their own flanks so that they don't get dragged down with him. Even if he really does still has his one vote to barter with, no pony is going to chance cutting a deal with him.

Okay, I REALLY like the Blueblood/Pinkie thing. Also, that Pinks is evidently a philosophical (relatively speaking) drunk. :pinkiehappy:

JEEZ though. The Night Court. Holy hell. I knew they were bad, but....whew. Course, my exposure has been more limited. I don't know if Zizanie's true nature had been fully revealed before or not, but it caught me by surprise. And Night Light, I am disappoint. I am starting to understand why the characters act the way they do. The M6 in particular. It's like this universe's ambient cynicism is a few degrees higher than the mane-verse.

So, not much longer to the season finale eh? :rainbowkiss:

2296805
This WAS the season finale; "Crisis" is the movie.

2296837
I thought The Summer Sun Celebration was the season finale?

2296847
No, that was dropped due to time constraints. I'd love to go back and do it at some point, but I don't know when I'd get the chance.

2296864
Wow, just goes to show how much I am paying attention around here. //dl.dropbox.com/u/31471793/FiMFiction/emoticons/misc_Octavia_O_O.png

Looking forward to Crisis though. Especially now that I read the Gala story. :pinkiehappy:

Phew! Finished all that. Now to move on to the main event! Crisis on Two Equestrias, Here I come!

I actually didn't find anything objectionable with this story, though I haven't read all of the Lunaverse yet either. Anyway, glad you got this off your chest and can now get to writing things that bring you joy, rather than frustration.

Wow, what a ride! Not much for me to say other than I loved it! Can't believe I'm finally done with season one (not counting episodes that still need updating). I'm glad to seem them all Knights of the Realm now and I'm very curies to know where Greengrass went running off to...surly we'll see him again? There's some nit picks I could have, but in the end it doesn't matter. The Babylon 5 influence was really shinning through in some chapters, which is not at all a bad thing, lol

Whelp, I guess that's it until season 2....hey wait! I still have Movies and Tie-ins to read :pinkiehappy:

2290550>>2272777>>2275175

Regarding Greengrass, I think he has the potential to become a whole new type of antagonist down the road. He enjoyed the 'game' he had to a point of obsession if you ask me, an addiction. Not being able to play anymore...might eventually drive him insane. Not at first of course, someone as cunning and logical as him will keep his calm for maybe months on end and lay low. But as his calculating mind continues to find no recourse, he finds it harder and harder to keep his composure. Nothing he does has any enjoyment anymore, not even his garden. Maybe add a little cutie mark failure syndrome since he basically can't use his talent to his advantage anymore. Eventually, he'll try one last gambit to get the game to resume when he sees a potential opportunity to out-levy Luna's threat, like maybe the reformation of the day court after Celestia's redemption. It fails, Luna is true to her word and strips him of all power, effectively putting the straw on the breaking point of his back(maybe immediately afterwards in the solidarity of his garden he lets loose all emotion in an outburst and destroys the last perfect thing in his life). This would then be the perfect time for a non-pony villain to appear before him, and offer an invitation to join his/her game as he/she is finding the board short of players.

Yes...the game...the game was all that truly mattered to him now. And if the ponies wouldn't play it with him anymore, he would just find someone...or something else who would. Someone...that would force even an immortal alicorn and her six meddlesome pawns, scratch that, knights now to play, whether she wants to or not.

2310732
...I'm gathering that you're new and so don't know about the...unfun times...the Lunaverse has had as of late.

Point being that, now that you've said your piece, I'd like to respectfully ask you to not continue this line of discussion, as all it tends to do is cause fights.

GrassAndClouds2, Emeral, everyone else, please please please, just let this lie.

2311061
Sorry. I don't want to be a part in a flame war.

2311075
I know, and there's nothing to apologize for - you didn't know.

I just want to nip this one in the bud.

2311061

If anything, I was expecting Greengrass to become like Saruman after Isengard: a broken, decayed villain enacting a pitiful revenge on the heroes´ homes before his ultimate semise. But I understand your desire to move on.

2322711
True, but Trixie's the one who put Zizanie up to it in the first place. The entire thing was her idea.

Having it be cleared by Luna is one thing, especially seeing as Luna gave the Night Court the impression that it's actually a long game that's she's been playing for the past few centuries or so. But learning that, in fact, the entire thing was masterminded by Trixie?

2322960

It'd scare those Nobles straight to their cores, it would. That the seemingly bumbling and idiotic apprentice to Luna herself triggered that kind of shitstorm?

I wouldn't want to mess with her anymore after something like that.
__________

Ponyville looks like it’s been through a war. In fact, it had been through a party, a party not of the Ponyvillians’ own design, but one that had devastated the town. But, party or war, it was over, and the recovery process has begun. Slowly, the town is rebuilding itself. In some ways it will never be the same – in others, it will be better than before.

might want to reword this: It was a weaponized party that resulted in the town being destroyed. Therefore it falls under 'party' and 'war'.

2322960
I'm still not seeing the problem. So Trixie would get credit for organizing a sting on one of the most notorious criminals in Equestria. Luna doesn't seem the type to mind credit where it's due, and it'd be going to one of the few ponies she actually approves of.

2332987
The problem being the red dot that this would then place on Trixie's head. It's one thing to see this as the machinations of the "all powerful" and practically untouchable Alicorn goddess, quite another to see it from some lowly idiotic little showmare who while being the princess's protege and the living embodiment of the Element of Magic is easy to "take care of" by comparison. All in all it's being used as protection and a way to keep the Night Court struck with the fear of the crown.

2333125
I guess I'm just not seeing how it's all that different from status quo. The half of the Court with the balls to try anything was already gunning for her, and most of them (the 2-3 most vicious ones included) already strongly suspect she was behind it. Trixie's had bullseyes all over her plot since Longest Day.

Login or register to comment