• Published 11th Nov 2012
  • 7,991 Views, 174 Comments

Morning Glory - Jade Ring



The morning after a wild wedding reception, truths come to light...

  • ...
21
 174
 7,991

MicroChapter- A Storm is Coming

He found her in the barn, the color of her mane almost blending in amongst the hay she was using as a bed. He shook his head and smiled as she snored loudly. “Derpy?” he whispered.

No response.

“Derpy?” He asked, raising his voice just slightly.

Nothing.

He sighed and prodded her side gently. She grunted and tried to roll over. He leaned closer and whispered in her ear. “Derpy, it’s time to wake up.”

His voice, tinged with the accent only he seemed to have, jolted her awake and her eyelids slid open. One eye settled on his face, while the other remained focused on the barn floor. “Hey Doc.” She yawned, speaking in her slow voice. “You vanished last night, so I got sleepy and decided to wait for you here.”

He chuckled and nuzzled her. “Sorry I had to leave so early. Guild business, you know.”

She nodded, starting to get up. “What time is it?”

“About a quarter past eight.”

“I better get moving, then. I left Dinky with Roseluck, and she probably has stuff to do today.” She looked at him sideways. “You wanna come with me? Maybe say hi? She misses you.”

Time Turner sighed. “I know. I miss the little muffin, too. It’s just…things have been so busy lately… we’ve got a new recruit, TP’s been giving me a hard time…” He trailed off as watched as she shook the hay from her body and felt the pull he always seemed to feel around her. He shook his head to clear it and steadied himself for what he was about to say. “Derpy?”

“Yeah?”

“I’m… I’m afraid I’m not going to see you for a while.”

Derpy froze. When she turned her wall-eyed gaze to him, tears were beginning to pool. “Did I do something wrong?” She lowered her eyes. “I’m not surprised. I always do something wrong…”

“No! You’ve done nothing wrong.” He nuzzled her again. “It’s just…” He stopped himself. Colgate hadn’t specified exactly how much he was allowed to tell.

“It’s just what? Another mare?” She started to pull away. “I bet she’s not tied down with a foal…”

“Derpy, no…”

“I bet she doesn’t’ talk funny like I do.”

He took her face in his hooves and did his best to look into both of her eyes. “You know you’re the only mare for me, Derpy Hooves.” He took a deep breath. “I can’t tell you everything right now, though I wish to Celestia herself that I could. I need you to trust me. And I need you to promise me something, Derpy. Promise me that you’ll stay safe. And promise me that you’ll keep Dinky safe.”

She was taken aback by the seriousness in his voice. “What are you…?”

Promise me!” Desperation tinged his voice, but he quickly reeled it back in.

“I promise, okay?” She was getting scared now. “Just calm down and tell me what’s going on.”

He looked at the barn wall, seemed to look past the barn wall. “Something bad is going to happen, love. Really bad. The reason I’m so worried is because the Guild has forbidden me from interfering.”

“Why?”

“I honestly have no idea. In fact, I’m not terribly sure what I’m allowed to tell you and what I’m not. All I know I can tell you is this; a storm is coming, and you and Dinky will have an important role to play before it’s over.”

“A storm?”

“I can’t tell you anymore. You’ll just have to trust me.” He shuffled his hooves in embarrassment. “Even though I’ve never really given you a reason to trust me.”

She smiled a little smile that made his heart swell. “You’ve also never given me a reason not to.”

He smiled back and kissed her. “I’ll be back just as soon as I’m allowed.”

“I know. I'll be waiting.”

He kissed her forehead, took her in one more time, and then bolted out the door. A flash of light, the smell of ozone… and he was gone.

Derpy walked out of the barn slowly and cast an eye skyward. “A storm…” she muttered. As part of the Weather Team, she knew a thing or two about storms. They were usually good, bringing rain, bringing life. Most, if not all, storms were controlled by the Weather Team themselves. Only the Weather Team Captain, Rainbow Dash, had keys to the Storm Cloud Production room.

The last unregulated storm had resulted in the death of two Ponies. Two prominent, well-respected, and loved ponies.

If the Doctor and his Guild were worried enough that they would leave Equestria, then this would be a serious storm indeed.

She thought back to the chestnut stallion and his tender words. She thought of his gentle caresses under the moon and the way Dinky loved to ride on her ‘Uncle Doc’s’ back. She even thought about the wedding the night before, and how it had
made her think about an entirely new level to take her and the Doctor’s relationship.

In the other hoof, she was having these thoughts about a stallion who wouldn't even tell her his real name.

“I promise... we’ll stay safe. Just come back to us.” She whispered, pretending her mysterious lover could hear her, wherever he was. She stretched her tired wings and took flight.

It was going to be difficult explaining this to Dinky.