• Published 11th Nov 2012
  • 7,994 Views, 174 Comments

Morning Glory - Jade Ring



The morning after a wild wedding reception, truths come to light...

  • ...
21
 174
 7,994

Chapter 3- To Have and To Hold

Big Macintosh's bed had always been, well, big. It was necessary. After all, he was easily the largest resident of Ponyville. Years of hard labor on the farm had built a mass of muscle that made jaws drop wherever he went. His size afforded him all sorts of amenities, from the personal to the professional. His large bed was just one of those. It had been a gift from the townsfolk after a particularly well off harvest. At the time, he’d disparaged the gift, saying it was too big for just one pony.

He’d been right. But now he saw it was going to be just right for two.

His new bride slept, snoring softly, on his chest. He could barely suppress a grin as he watched her rise and fall with every breath he took. Her entire body fit comfortably sprawled across him, so much so that her hooves barely reached the bed itself. Her mane, vibrant pink, covered half of her peaceful face. Her wings lay on either side of her, the feathers twitching reflexively as she dreamed. The newly christened Fluttershy Apple slept on, lulled by the steady beat of her lover's heart.

Macintosh reached out and stroked her mane as softly as he could, not intending to wake her just yet. She was beautiful, an angel complete with her own set of butter-colored wings. He loved her more than he could possible vocalize, especially with his slightly limited vocabulary.

His memory drifted back, months ago, when he’d first properly made the lady’s acquaintance.

“HEADS UP!”
Scootaloo’s warning came too late as the rubber ball she’d kicked slammed into the side Big Macintosh’s head. Stars floated around the large stallion’s eyes as he hit the ground, his mass causing it to shake.

“Dag-nabbit, Scootaloo! You hit my brother! Fluttershy, could you check on him?”

“Not a problem, Applebloom.”

“Thanks. Sweetie Belle, you go get the ball.”

“Why me? Scootaloo knocked it out of bounds!”

The voices were distant, and he opened his eyes groggily. There she was, surrounded by a halo of light. She had to be an angel, no question. He was dead as a doornail and at the pearly gates. There was no way that a creature of such divine beauty could exist on the mortal plane.

“Are you okay?”

He blinked his eyes rapidly and his vision cleared. Okay, so she wasn’t technically an angel. It didn’t detract from her beauty a bit.

“Eeyup. He groaned, staggering to his feet.

“I’m so sorry. The girls were arguing about the tournament this weekend and I guess they just weren’t paying attention.”

He waved her off, fixing his collar. “You’re Applejack’s friend, right? Doesn’t she realize that Applebloom’s too old for a foal sitter?”

“Ah!” She squeaked, trying to hide behind her own wings. “Um…I mean yes. But I’m not foal sitting. I came to check on Winona. Applejack said she was feeling a bit under the weather.”

“That she has. Forgive me, but I can’t seem to recall your name. It’s rare that happens with a mare as pretty as you.”

Blushing furiously at his compliment, she averted her eyes and whispered the answer.
He heard it clear as a bell. “Fluttershy. That’s a very pretty name.”

She’d been surprised that he’d heard her the first time. Not a whole lot of ponies could say that.

Their courtship had begun the next day, at least it had for him. The first time he’d worked up the nerve to ask her out on a date, she’d made that frightened squeak again and flew off. She did the same thing the next few times, and eventually he resigned himself to the fact that she just wasn’t interested in him.

The day after that revelation, she had come to the farm and asked him out herself, persuaded by a waiting-in-the-wings Applejack.

Months went by like days. After those first few awkward dates getting to know each other better, they had become inseparable. They based their schedules around each other and never went anywhere unless the other was with them. Some days she would help with his chores, tapping into a hidden strength that had shocked him the first time he’d seen it. Some days he would walk her through the forest, providing care and love to the animals too nervous or afraid to come to her cottage. Whatever they did, they did it together.

And somewhere along the line, they had fallen in love.

“You seem kinda nervous, big bunny. Is everything okay?”

“Fine, little wing. Everything’s just fine.” Macintosh replied, sweating bullets.

They walked together through the Everfree Forest, giving little nods to all the creatures they met. The animals were used to seeing them now. Fluttershy’s fears and insecurities had always kept her from venturing too far into the forest. With Macintosh by her side, she finally felt safe enough to aid all the animals that needed help. Today wasn’t a vet day, though. Today was her and Macintosh’s weekly picnic.

They hiked for miles, taking in the flora and fauna, finally reaching their usual picnic spot under the large oak near the center of the woods just after two in the afternoon. Fluttershy set her saddle bag down and started setting everything up.

Macintosh looked around to make sure the coast was clear before reaching for his own saddlebag.

“Uh… little wing?”

“Mmhmm?”

“Know what today is?”

“Of course I do, silly. It’s Wednesday.”

“It’s also six months to the day we met.”

“OH!” She dropped the picnic basket. It spilled its contents out on the grass. “I’m so sorry, big bunny. I completely forgot!” She sounded distraught and was close to tears.

“Nothing to be sorry about, honey. Just thought it was as good a day as any to do this.” He pulled the box from his saddlebag and opened it with a flick of his neck muscles.

The shining bauble glinted in the sun.

Fluttershy’s jaw dropped. “Mac…Macintosh… I don’t know what to say.”

“Say yes, Fluttershy. Say yes and I’ll be by your side for the rest of your life. I’ll protect you, and hold you, and keep you safe from any harm that’ll come to you. I’ll provide for you and love you until the day that we di…”

Her kiss silenced him, and they collapsed onto the soft grass.

They parted, and he looked into her eyes. “Is that a yes?”

She grinned, a different kind of tears streaming down her face. “Eeyup.”

His recollections were interrupted when he felt a familiar tickle in his throat. ‘Oh no, not now!’ He tried too late to stifle the cough, and his chest shook, waking the angel.

"Oh, I'm sorry big bunny. I didn't mean to bother you." She yawned cutely and made to slide off. "I'll move."

"Don’t you dare, little wing." He responded, wrapping his arms around her. He squeezed, not too tightly though. He didn't want to crush her.

Big bunny... little wing... neither of them was quite sure where the pet names had begun. It was towards the beginning of their courtship, that was all that was certain.

She smiled at him and his heart melted. "So, I guess it's official then. I'm your... wife."

"Eeyup."

"And you're my... husband."

"Eeyup."

"...wow."

He chuckled and kissed her. "It feels weird, huh? After so long, to finally say that?"

She nodded and snuggled deeper into his embrace. "Mmmmm, do we have to get up yet? I'm really comfy."

He shook his head. "Not just yet. S’pose I can put off the chores just this once. Pretty soon, though. Our train leaves at noon, remember?"

She sighed. "I can't believe we're actually going to Manehatten."

"The best honeymoon possible for my little wing." They lay in silence for a while until he reached down and tilted her face up to his. "Honey, last night..."

With an audible POMF, Fluttershy's wings exploded outward on either side, fully extended and erect. She squeaked in embarrassed horror and hastily made to pull them back down.

Macintosh couldn't help it; he began to laugh heartily. He regretted it an instant later as tears began to pool in her eyes.

"Why… why are you laughing? That's not funny, b…big bunny. That's not funny at all..."

Macintosh shushed her and wiped the tears away before they could fall. "Hush now, little wing. I didn't mean nothin' mean by it. Honest."

She rubbed her cheek against his hoof. "Sorry. It's just a little embarrassing. Last night was so... unlike me."

Macintosh chuckled again. "Part of me hopes that's not true."

She playfully tapped him on the chest. "Stop that. I knew what that special Honeymoon Cider would do; I just didn't think it would be so strong."

"Me neither. That's why I was gonna ask if you were okay."

"Why wouldn't I be?"

"Well... sometimes I don't know my own strength..."

This time she shushed him. "Shhhhhh. You were a perfect gentlecolt." She smiled at him demurely. "It was even better than I ever imagined."

"And just what did you imagine?" He raised an eyebrow, feeling a familiar stirring down below.

She laughed that light and airy laugh that had always enraptured him. "Stop being so naughty, big bunny." She looked at him with hooded eyes. "There'll be plenty of time for that later."

"Fluttershy Apple, I don’t know what’s gotten into you, but I like it."

“If I’m not being too vulgar, I think you know exactly what's gotten into me.”

They both laughed at their lame attempts at dirty talk and again lapsed into comfortable silence. Fluttershy sighed dreamily. “Fluttershy Apple… It sounds…”

“Right?”

“Mmm-hmm.”

Macintosh closed his eyes and felt the threat of sleep again coming for him. Against his better wishes, he forced his eyes open again... finding Fluttershy staring at him intently.

"Uh oh. Did I do something wrong? Am I getting a taste of the famous Fluttershy Stare?"

"Nope." She kissed him. "Not today, anyway. I was just thinking; do you remember what Zecora said after the ceremony?"

His brow furrowed. "Kinda. I always have trouble remembering those rhymes of hers."

Fluttershy cleared her throat. "'While this truly is a blessed day, there still remains one thing to say. Later tonight, you two become one, but something else will rise with the sun. You set down the road, together in life...'"

"'...but only once wake together as new husband and wife.'" Macintosh finished for her.

"She meant to savor this moment, Macintosh. Because no matter how long our life together may be, this is the only morning where we'll be husband and wife for the very first time."

"I love you, Fluttershy."

“I love you too, Macintosh.”

She kissed him more deeply than before, and when they parted she began trail small kisses down his neck.

"Whoa there, little wing.” He laughed. “I thought you said there'd be plenty of time for this later."

She kissed lower. "Maybe I changed my mind."

"Or maybe you've still got some of Granny Smith’s cider in your system."

"Are you complaining?"

He shrugged and surrendered to her energetic ministrations. "Nope."

Later, she was again lying on his chest. She listened as their hearts raced together and it thrilled her that she had this much power over somepony for the first time in her life.

"Little wing?"

"Yes, big bunny?"

"I think we need to take some of that cider to Manehatten with us."

She slid upwards until her face was by his ear. "Wanna know a secret?" She whispered, her breath tickling his skin.

"What?" He looked and caught the mischievous glint in her eye.

"I never drank the cider."

//////////////////////////////////////////////

Special Note: The pet-names 'Big Bunny' and 'Little Wing' are not of my creation, but are taken from the fanfic 'Windfall' by WarrenHutch. That was the fic that convinced me to start writing, so the use of the pet names is my little tribute. Seek out the story, you will not regret it.