• Published 20th Nov 2012
  • 19,617 Views, 1,309 Comments

Luna's Librarian, Twilight's Moon - TheLastBrunnenG



Astronomer and Moon Princess, Evening and Night, Librarian and Lunar Majesty

  • ...
45
 1,309
 19,617

The Power Vested in Me

No no no no no no, this can’t be happening! Yes it can. It is! No, this shouldn’t be possible. It has to be a Prince or a Princess and I’m not a Princess. I’m just a unicorn. Just an egghead librarian unicorn. Whose sister in law is Princess Cadance, Ruler of the Crystal Kingdom. But that’s by marriage, and it doesn’t count, does it? Of course, my brother was Captain of the Canterlot Royal Guard, and now Prince Shining. Or is it Prince Armor? Aaauuugh! Concentrate, Sparkle! Still doesn’t count. I’m not a Princess. Not a noble. So this can’t happen. Can’t be happening. Right now.

The nobles will never accept this. There will be a revolt. Equestria will be sundered, the land torn by strife and… what am I saying? Think, Luna! It does not matter what the aristocracy believes. I am a Princess and my word is law. If I declare that she need not be Royalty, then so it shall be. Until the revolution. No, no, no, that is not right! She is the Bearer of the Element of Magic, hoof-picked personal student of my dear sister, savior of Equestria many times over – that should be enough for any pony. But it is never enough for tradition, is it? We are doomed.

This will never work. She’s immortal. Ageless, undying, never ending, synonym, synonym, thesaurus, and you’re rambling to yourself again, Twilight. I’ll be old and grey and she’ll be old and blue. Well, eons old but young-looking, and really more indigo than blue. Rambling again! Why would she want to watch me grow old? I don’t even want to watch me grow old! Note to self: achieve immortality. Looked it up already. Side effects… unpleasant. No, no, forget it, this will never do.

She is so young! I am ancient. She could never want a decrepit old mare like me. I am older than the hills. No, really, I am older than the hills. I should know, I made them. Ah, focus, Luna! You know this is impossible. You have watched more ponies pass away from the ravages of age than there are stars in your precious sky. She will grow old, and frail, and she will leave you. And still these will be the best decades of your endless life. No, the pain will be too much, too soon. I cannot do this to myself. To us.

Luna can’t live in a tree. I already live in a tree. With a dragon. She’s too tall to live in my tree – our tree. With the dragon. And Ponyville can’t handle a Princess! They can barely handle a couple of parasprites. As it is, every time Celestia or Luna visits, the town shuts down from all the bowing and groveling. And I can’t go to Canterlot, not constantly. Great libraries, great food, great Princesses – no, no, it just wouldn’t work! I have to be near my friends. What if there’s an emergency only the Elements of Harmony can deal with? I’d be too far away in Canterlot! So we can’t go forward with this. It’s a matter of National Security! Right?

I cannot ask her to come to Canterlot. I cannot make her leave those whom she has worked so hard to befriend. Nor can I leave my post. Accursed bureaucrats! Can they not run a nation without my guiding their every decision? But Celestia managed to hold the world together without me for a thousand years. Surely she could handle a century more? No, listen to yourself, Luna! You could never abandon your responsibilities after leaving Equestria and your sibling for so long. There are always days when the Night Court is out of session, and each month there is a New Moon when my services are less critical… No, still I.. No. It is not right. Responsibility, that is what I must adhere to, true? Nothing else. Or – no.

Celestia will never forgive me. I know what she said, I know what she proclaimed to the nation, to our friends, to the crowd, in letter after letter. Surely she couldn’t have meant it! This is her sister, after all! I’m a sister-stealer. That’s it, I’m a goner. It’s the moon for me. Maybe she’ll send us both… Ack! What am I saying? I was supposed to study friendship. She probably thinks I’m a dismal failure, because this is way, way beyond friendship. This is over the hills and far away from friendship, and there aren’t enough Friendship Reports in all Equestria to cover this. This is amazing, and wonderful, and so very, very not what Princess Celestia had in mind when she sent me to Ponyville. Why did she have to let me stay in Ponyville, knowing that’d be the first town to host Nightmare Night after Luna came back? Well, there’s still time. The moon’s up – looks kind of cozy. She could still exile me. Maybe. Hopefully.

Celestia has never lied to me. So why would she begin now? Her blessing, her approval, her encouragement – surely she could not have meant all those things she said. She must harbor some secret disapproval, some deep resentment. I have stolen her most favored pupil, her favorite student, her confidante and surrogate daughter. Will she banish me again for my treachery? Or will her repressed rage at my perfidy turn her heart cold and enrage her, bringing forth the cruel Tyrant Sun? Perhaps I’ve been reading too much into current popular fiction. In any event, there are too many risks to go through with this. There is still time to call this off. For the good of all ponies, I must abstain. I must!

Okay, why can’t I breathe? You’re hyperventilating, Sparkle! Keep it together! You’re becoming a nervous wreck. I can’t do this. It’s too… too… too everything. Someone’s asking me a question, I think, but I’m shaking so much I can’t hear them clearly. Do you really want to go through with this, Twilight? Do I really want to be Luna’s shaking, hyperventilating, nervous wreck?

My sister is speaking but I hear nothing. Have I gone deaf? All I can hear is my heartbeat. I have never heard my own heartbeat before! Why can I not focus? Why have my senses abandoned me? What has this mortal mare done to me? Is this your truest desire, Luna? Do I wish more than anything to be an unfocused, flustered Princess, deaf to all but my own heart?

“I do.”

“I do.”

“Then by the power vested in me as Princess of the Sun, I hereby pronounce you, Princess Luna, and you, Twilight Sparkle, to be Mare and Wife, to have and to hold, until the end of time. May you follow in the hoofsteps of joy and may your hearts know only Harmony!“

Author's Note:

TMP Prompt #139: “Tomorrow Is Not Like Yesterday”. The day everything changed.

Retrospective and extended Author's Notes:
Another chapter I loved, and an early one at that. I had to resort to the bolt / italic trick to differentiate the internal monologues, but I liked the end effect.

"Side effects… unpleasant." is a line by Mordin from Mass Effect.

For the Twilestia collab I wrote a companion piece to this (which was itself an expansion of the final prompt I wrote for TMP) in which we hear Celestia's thoughts instead: wanting Twilight for herself, jealous and crushed that Luna ended up with Twilight, but performing the ceremony anyway.