• Published 20th Nov 2012
  • 19,617 Views, 1,309 Comments

Luna's Librarian, Twilight's Moon - TheLastBrunnenG



Astronomer and Moon Princess, Evening and Night, Librarian and Lunar Majesty

  • ...
45
 1,309
 19,617

Your Turn

Around a flickering campfire on the outskirts of the sprawling orchards of Sweet Apple Acres sat five mares, warming their hooves on a cool autumn night. Crickets and crackling firelogs were soon drowned out by the clattering of a bouncing pink pony carrying a jingling, jangling drawstring sack.

“Ooh! Ooh! Party game! Even better than ‘pin the toupee on Cranky’!” Holding the bag open proudly, she looked expectantly at the four ponies eying her suspiciously.

“Pinkie, dear, do you really expect us to thrust our hooves into that bag, completely unawares? Why,” scoffed the white mare, “the last time I did such a thing, I was cleaning alligator spittle off my hooficure for days! Positively ghastly.”

The party pony rolled her sly-blue eyes and thrust the bag closer. “Well, duh! Next time don’t wash your hooves with alligator-bait flavored soap, silly! Now, everybody reach in and pick one. Super-neato, I promise! It’ll be like Truth or Dare, only not.”

Reluctantly each pony put a hoof in the bag, looking at each other hesitantly before retrieving its contents. Four of them now held a golden torc apiece, sparkling jewels forming the centerpiece of each. The fifth, a cerulean Pegasus, held a golden tiara topped with a magenta star.

“Pinkie!” gasped Twilight, “where did you get these? We can’t use the Elements of Harmony for a camp-out party game! We have to get these back to Canterlot! Oh, Princess Celestia’s going to have my horn for this…”

“Relax, sugarcube!” The purple mare cocked her head as Applejack tapped the circlet she held against a rock, each knock forming a dull, clunking thud. “See? They ain’t the real Elements. Mighty good fakes, though.”

Pinkie giggled, nodding furiously. “Mighty righty! Now, here’s the game. Whatever Element you’re holding, you have to do or say something that fits it. I call this game, ‘Comfort Zones are for Wusses’. Oh, oh, can I go first? Yes, me, I can! You can. We can. Okay, here goes…” She held up a shining neckpiece featuring a multi-faceted jeweled apple. Inhaling deeply, she held her breath for a long moment before offering, “Everypony thinks I’m an indiscriminate pansexual polyamourous slut because I try to make everypony happy and smiling and rolling in the hay nonstop with everypony who had a frownie would be one way to do it. Do it! Get it? Anyway… I’m actually a virgin.” Four ponies gasped collectively and stared at her. “I can make ponies happy with games and parties and cupcakes all I want, but there’ll only ever be one first time, and I’m saving that for somepony special, because it’s a gift I hope will make them smile more than a party ever could. And that’s the Honest truth.” She put the Element back in the bag and shrugged. “Okey dokie, Dashie, your turn!”

Shaking her head as if waking from a strangely lucid dream, Dash held up the golden tiara. “Magic? You gotta be kidding me! Do I look like an egghead? Or a unicorn? Sheesh! Okay, okay… I, uh, I admit it. I’m jealous of unicorns. Yeah, I know, laugh it up, ‘horn envy’ and all that. Truth is, I’m terrified of anything happening to my wings. They’re what makes me so awesome. If anything ever happened to them, the only way I could fly again would be through magic. With a spell like the one Twi used on Rarity, just maybe not as un-cool as gossamer butterfly wings. So – yeah. The last time I saw a shooting star, I wished I could do magic, just… just in case, you know?” She tossed the tiara into the bag and sat heavily on her haunches.

Twilight saw the four look at her as she twirled a circlet in her hooves, its gemstone balloon shining in the firelight. “Laughter, huh? Not sure if this will make everyone smile, but here goes.” She cleared her throat but kept looking down, orange flames and blue sparkles dancing in her eyes as a slight frown creased her muzzle. “Last week I said I had to return to Canterlot to answer an important question from the Princess. I said I had to do some research in the Canterlot Archives and I told you all I was working on a new spell. When you all wished me luck with Celestia – well, I lied. I wasn’t there to see Celestia. I wasn’t working on a spell, and I never even went to the Archives.”

Applejack put a hoof on the purple pony’s shoulder. “Sugarcube, you’re right, that ain’t exactly makin’ us laugh. it ain’t like you not to be honest with us. We’re your friends, and whatever made you say all that, Ah know you had a right good reason for it. So why’d you really go back to Canterlot?”

As she looked up, a widening grin crossed the lavender unicorn’s face and her blush was evident even in the warm firelight. “Well,” she smiled, “I was going to see a Princess, and she did have a question for me.” She put down the Element and reached up with both hooves, slowly parting her pink-streaked mane to reveal a gleaming golden band at the base of her horn. She barely had time to whisper, “And I said ‘yes’!” before four smiling mares tackled her and peals of laughter broke the orchard's midnight peace.

Author's Note:

TMP Prompt #169: “Alternates”. The Mane Six are the bearers of the Elements of Harmony … but not the Elements they currently possess.

Retrospective and extended Author's Notes:
This was a relatively early prompt, and it shows. I don't think it came off like I envisioned it. Serious LUS in effect, too. It needs more rewrite than I care to give it this long after the fact.

Yes, Fluttershy missed the campout. Insert cliche about an "animal emergency" here. In truth the prompt was only 30 minutes and I was already running long, so her part got cut. Applejack and Rarity made it to the party but their scenes got cut as well.