• Published 12th Nov 2012
  • 2,713 Views, 124 Comments

Ponies and Pactios: A Negima Crossover - funkyferret

  • ...
3
 124
 2,713

"I Should Have Just Stayed Home Today" by Twilight Sparkle

"I Should Have Just Stayed Home Today" by Twilight Sparkle

A warm beam of mid-afternoon sunlight peered in through the crack in the curtains of the top floor of the tree-turned-library, bringing light into the otherwise gloomy room. The lights were all off, and the room was silent. A figure lay in the bed, positioned where the sunlight could not reach it and disturb the beds occupant, whom was cocooned in blankets. Across the room, a lavender unicorn kept vigil over her patient's rest. Her mouth was set in a thin line and her brow was furrowed in concentration.

Twilight sighed as she stared at the lump under the covers. Only the small movement, the rise and fall of his chest as he breathed, indicated that the bed's occupant was still alive. She rubbed a hoof across her forehead as she looked down at the brown unicorn colt lying in her guest bed. "Why did it end up like this anyway?" she muttered to herself.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Twilight Sparkle yawned and stretched under the covers of her bed. She glanced out the window. Celestia's sun had barely cleared the horizon; it was still quite early by the librarian's standards. She began to go through her usual mental checklist, then paused as she remembered something. Rarity had asked for her help this morning. Twilight did not know how long her meeting with the fashionista would take, which made planning the rest of her day rather hard. If she hurried over there now maybe they could finish early and then she could at least plan out her afternoon. Mind made up, she grunted and rolled out of bed, before using a flash of magic to return it to a mild semblance of order.

Twilight headed downstairs. An inviting smell lured her towards the kitchen where her scaly assistant was making breakfast. The dragon smiled at her as he continued to flip pancakes in a practiced manner.

"Good morning, Twilight," Spike said pleasantly. "You're down here earlier than usual today."

Twilight grunted in acknowledgement and shuffled over to pour herself a cup of coffee. She sipped the hot beverage and hummed happily.

"So, we're going to Rarity's today?" the dragon asked.

The unicorn took notice of his choice of words. She set her drink down on the table and looked at him sternly. "Not we, Spike, just me. You have chores to do today."

"Twiliiiight," Spike whined.

She shook her head. "If you had gotten them done yesterday you wouldn't be in this situation."

Spike's spines drooped. He sighed.

Twilight smiled at him, feeling a bit guilty. She trotted over to him and rested a reassuring hoof on his shoulder. "I bet Rarity will keep me busy most of the morning," she said gently. "When you finish up your chores, then you can come join us. I'm sure she'll have something for you to help with."

"Thanks, Twilight." The little dragon smiled at her.

She tousled the spines on the top of his head before heading back to the table and taking a seat. "Now, how about some breakfast."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Twilight stood as still as she could. Bits of fabric, ribbons, needles, and other objects whirled around her. At times, their orbits came a little too close for comfort. "Umm, Rarity, are you sure this is necessary?" she asked.

The white unicorn looked up from her work. "Of course, darling. Having a live model brings an extra dimension that those dull cloth dummies could never have. This way I can see my work come alive and make sure it's absolutely perfect for the customer."

"But why me?" Twilight asked, trying to keep her frustration out of her voice.

"Fluttershy swore off fashion after she ended her modeling career, Applejack is 'busy', and Rainbow Dash has refused to help after I used her as a model last time. As for Pinkie, she's... Pinkie. That just leaves you, and I really do appreciate your help. I promise, it won't take much longer."

Twilight gritted her teeth, resisting the urge to mention the fact that the fashionista had said the same thing before... several hours ago. She thought wistfully of her bed, while doing her best to stay upright. Her eyes glazed over.

Twilight was torn from her stupor by a loud thump noise. She glanced around. "Was that Spike?" she asked, turning to Rarity. Unexpectedly, the white unicorn's eyes were not on the door where the tardy dragon would enter. She was looking straight up, mouth hanging open. Twilight glanced up as well. Her own jaw soon plummeted towards the floor. A mass of darkness, peppered with flashing red lights, churned overhead.

"W-what is that thing?" Rarity cried.

Twilight shook her head. "I... don't know. But it can't be good." Calling up her magic, she prepared to fight back.

As if it was a living entity that sensed her intent, the red lights flashed as one. A wind kicked up out of nowhere, forcing the two ponies to shield their eyes as Rarity's supplies were swept up in the tempest. The windows banged open, and the darkness rushed out. It hovered above the boutique, smoking in the noonday sun. For a moment it stayed there, as if uncertain. Then it flew away towards the Everfree forest, bits sloughing off of the main cloud as it went. The dregs faded away in the sun; mere moments later, nothing remained of the strange apparition.

Within the boutique, two windswept unicorns slowly rose to their feet. "What a mess," Rarity cried out as she looked around. "How horrible! This will take hours to-- good heavens, who is that?"

Lying on the ground was a small light-brown unicorn, little older than the Cutie Mark Crusaders. Twilight approached the still form, carefully looking him over. Entangled in his mane was a small white ferret with a black tail tip. The ferret wasn't moving. The mane itself was odd. The top of his mane was short, reddish-brown, and unruly. Towards the back of his neck, the mane was longer, dark brown, and drawn into a short ponytail. His tail looked similar, though it lacked the band to hold it in shape. He had no cutie mark and showed no outward signs of injury. She ran a quick diagnostic spell. "He's out cold... and seems to have a minor head injury, though that might be just a result of the fall," she said. Looking down, she noticed a pair of glasses lying partially underneath the colt's body. The frame was bent and one of the lenses had cracked.

"Who is he? If he had anything to do with that... thing, he might be dangerous," Rarity cautioned.

Twilight shook her head. "I would have sensed it if he was. Besides, why would a colt be involved in black magic?" She looked down at the little pony again. Despite what she had said, there was something a little off about him...

The door to the shop chimed, and Spike walked in. He looked around and froze in his tracks. "Whoa, what the heck happened here?" he asked.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Twilight shook her head, clearing it of the memories of what had happened that morning. Of course she had sent a letter to the Princess immediately. The response she got was unexpected. Celestia promised to send some guards to look into the problem, but had tasked Twilight and her friends with looking after the colt instead of assisting them in the search. It was rather aggravating that she couldn't just jump into researching the topic, but she had a duty to fulfill. After all, the Princess must have a reason for her decisions.

Then there was the issue of where the colt would stay. Rarity's shop was in disarray and she still had an order to fill. Fluttershy had happily taken in the white ferret (she said it was actually an ermine), but was unwilling to house a strange pony. Pinkie Pie and the Cakes didn't have any extra room and Rainbow's house was inaccessible to earth-bound ponies. Applejack had room at the farm, but they had been worried about moving an injured pony that far. This meant Twilight got stuck looking after the colt... and by herself at that, since Spike was over at Rarity's, helping her clean up. Now Twilight's entire plan for the day was completely out the window. "I should have just stayed home today," she muttered.

The figure in the bed moved, drawing her eyes back towards it. The pony twitched, and his eyes fluttered open. "Minna-san, nigete kudasai!" he yelled.

Twilight blinked in confusion. "What? A foreigner?"

Author's Note:

This chapter received minor editing to address some minor issues.