• Published 29th Nov 2012
  • 3,033 Views, 99 Comments

Vaguely Familiar. - Reptilicus



Pinkie looks after an injured Rainbow Dash. The two learn alot.

  • ...
4
 99
 3,033

Twinkle, twinkle all the night.

The comforts of home are the easiest to remember and yet the easiest to forget. In her time away from her home Pinkie had forgotten a few things that she truly loved. Her soft bed, stuffed with goose feathers and scented with the aroma of aloe. The warm hum of the ovens downstairs when the Cakes started their day, baking delicious treats for the town. The happy clicking noise Gummy made when the sun rose and he decided to travel downstairs and feast on scraps the family threw to him. Even the occasional interruption in sleep caused by the wailing of the infant twins down the hall felt all too welcoming. In her venture to help out Dash, she had gotten so much closer to her friend. But in the process had gotten so far from her home and things that were familiar. It felt heavenly to be back inside Sugarcube Corner. As her eyes fluttered awake she could hear the muffled chattering of the Cake's downstairs. Mrs.Cup Cake sounded worried as usual, though Pinkie couldn't understand what she was saying, she knew the tone coming from her adopted mother's melodic voice. Same came with the reassuring tone in Mr.Carrot Cake, following soon after his wife's voice. If they were up, then it meant it was probably time for Pinkie to get up. She lifted her head and glanced at her bedside clock, a striped device made to look like a cup of frozen yogurt. It was 10 in the morning. She had slept in, for the first time in a while. Not that there was anything wrong with it. Her days were fun but exhausting. Plus it was quite difficult to wake up when one is in the comforting embrace of someone you love.

Pinkie stretched and leaped from the bed, landing with a quiet honk, and taking a quick look at Dash. Still sleeping soundly. Her idea of making them both breakfast would have to wait. Picking strawberries the previous day had been taxing on the pegasus. She was no longer crippled but still injured, and fatigue came easily to her. And Pinkie was not going to interrupt her friend's rest just to have her make good on her promise the night prior. Pinkie sauntered wearily into her bathroom, with it's pink tile floor, pink linoleum walls with waffle cone wallpaper, and pink ceramic shower. She giggled as she looked in the mirror. Her unruly pink curls had seemingly exploded overnight in a truly awful case of bed head. An afro of pink squiggles churned through the air from the top of her head. She reached her hoof out and turned on the shower, keeping the water sitting comfortably between warm and hot.

Dash didn't have a shower in her house. And the tub she had was clearly seldom used. The freespirited pegasus enjoyed cleaning herself off in ponds, lakes, waterfalls, and particularly moist clouds. Not that there was anything wrong with that. Plenty of ponies preferred to clean themselves in fresh water that was easy to find outdoors. But as the jets of steaming water hit Pinkie's face, rinsing down the sides of her body and soothing her into a state of bliss, she couldn't help but feel she really had the upper hand over those au-naturale ponies. Of course it all came down to the fact that not everyone in Ponyville could afford indoor plumbing. But sinks and hoses for the ease of water retention was a must for a place as messy as a bakery. And as long as they had it, they were darn sure going to enjoy it. Pinkie let out a relaxed sigh as the last vestiges of sleep were washed away by the gentle torrent coming from the pink showerhead. This was definitely the perfect way to start a day. Well this and pancakes covered in apple compote and whipped cream. With some nutmeg sprinkled on for good measure. And grits with sharp cheddar cheese mixed in. Oh, and a blueberry muffin with sweet cream butter spread onto it. Yeah, good stuff. She wondered what the Cakes were baking downstairs.

Her edible thoughts and relaxation were interrupted by her Pinkie sense. Her fourth eyelash on her left eye was doing an interpretive dance. Something classy but also strange. The kind of dance that might get ponies throwing bits at it, were it to take it's act on the road. This particular sense meant that Pinkie was being watched. She opened her eyes and turned to see that Rainbow Dash had entered the shower quietly. Almost materializing behind her in complete silence. Her messy mane and crooked feathers were already becoming soaked by the stream of hot water, as she quietly sat next to Pinkie. Those eyes, those scarlet eyes that the pink mare loved staring into, there was pain in them. Something unpleasant was dancing around on the outside of their perfection.

"What's wrong?" Pinkie asked quietly.

"I had a bad dream." Rainbow mouthed, almost muted from the pitter patter of the water.

"Wanna talk about it?" Pinkie's voice grew hopeful. "I always find its easier to get over nightmares if I tell someone about them. Although I don't have nightmares very often."

"I was at the track." Dash mumbled, her wet mane nearly hiding her entire face besides the tip of her muzzle. "I was racing again. Everyone was there. All our friends. Even Spike and Scootaloo and Sweetie and Applebloom. Even the Cakes were there. Everyone I knew was waiting for me, cheering for me. And as I took the corner on the first lap, I felt a sharp pain and I looked behind me and.....my wings were gone. And I fell. It was just like that day all over again."

Pinkie reached forward and pulled Dash into a comforting embrace, the shower water rinsing over both of their bodies.

"I'm sorry." Pinkie said quietly into Dash's ear. "I bet you got it from discussing it with that bully yesterday. It probably reminded your brain of all the horrible things you went through."

"It got worse." Dash coughed out, her body starting to tremble as she grasped Pinkie and held her close. "I remembered it all. The feeling of the glass cutting into me when I hit the lights. The sharp pain of the electricity hitting me. The bleachers smashing me apart and....the fire. I could feel it all. I could feel my skin melting and burning as I pulled myself out. And when I got out there was just....silence. And then you appeared. You and Twilight and Rarity and Applejack and Fluttershy all came running up to me. And I screamed for help and....and....."

Dash shook suddenly, her wings sending droplets flying everywhere.

"....then Scootaloo said 'why should we help you?' and then you said 'Throw her back in the fire!' and I heard Celestia say 'Be done with it' and everyone picked me up and I could feel their hooves scratching on my burnt skin and....they lifted me up and....threw me back in and I screamed and screamed and I could feel everything burning away. And then I woke up."

"Oh Nooooo!" Pinkie wailed as she rubbed her friend's back. "It's just a bad dream you know we'd never do anything that mean or horrible, right?"

"Yeah I know. It just felt....real."

"You could have stayed in bed you know. You still look really sleepy. I know you don't like sleeping in beds very much."

"It was fine. When I woke up I just felt...lonely."

The pegasus slowly calmed as the pink hoof of her friend delicately stroked her back. Every small movement as it passed her shoulder blades brought comfort and a feeling of giddiness. She leaned into the slick and welcoming body alongside her, the worries slowly melting away with the droning sprinkles of the shower and the warmth she was absorbing. Dash felt a small bead of courage hit a part of her mind she didn't know she even had. She leaned her snout slightly and as gently as she could she pressed her lips to the side of Pinkie's neck, feeling ecstatic at the quiet muffled moan that her friend produced, nearly lost to the ambiance. A natural instinct hit her, ancient intuition that pegasi felt when they realized who mattered most. With a small gasp of air, her lips parted and a sweet sound was emitted. A small trill like that of a turtle dove rose from her throat without her even realizing it.

"Did you just make a birdy sound?!" Pinkie suddenly shouted, pulling Dash away so she could look her friend in the face with astonishment.

"UH.....UH......Did I?" Dash asked going red in the face as she glanced around.

"You did!" Pinkie laughed. "I've never heard you do that!"

"Yeah well its a thing pegasi do...did....a long time ago. Nobody really does it now...I'm uhhh...."

"Whats it mean? Huh? Huh? HUH?!" Pinkie asked, elated that her friend was capable of such cute sounds.

"N-nothin'!" Rainbow lied, trying to smile through her nerves. The look of exasperation and cynicism on Pinkie's face made it evident she didn't believe that lie one bit.

"Okie dokie lokie...." she coolly replied as she drew Rainbow back into the interrupted hug.

As they embraced in the water again their thoughts were abuzz. Dash couldn't figure out what had made her react so strongly to this situation. It was different than before.

"This is so weird. I mean I like Pinkie and stuff but now I'm showering with her and kissing her and I even made a friggin mating call like some sort of idiot. What in the heck is wrong with me? Do I actually like Pinkie THAT much? I can't even control myself. I can barely look her in the eye and when I do I cant quit staring at her. This is so embarassing. I'm in love aren't I? I am. Crap. Crap crap crap. I'm in love with Pinkie Pie. Well that's just great now what am I supposed to do?"

Pinkie's thoughts were similarly confusing.

"Okay so she just kissed me. It wasn't really a romanticy sort of kiss but we are in the shower together. And we're hugging. So I guess this is pretty romantic. I mean showering together isn't really something friends do? It's something couples do. Does that mean we're a couple? Does Dashie make birdy sounds because she likes me as much as I like her? Because that would be super duper! I mean I'm pretty sure she likes me but if I ask I'm going to freak her out. I don't like her when she's freaking out. I wish I could make birdy sounds so she'd feel better. She looks really embarrassed."

These disturbing trains of thought would soon be broken by yelps of anguish as the shower water grew increasingly cold until it felt like liquid ice. Which in retrospect is a poor metaphor for water. The two mares dashed out of the bathroom and dried themselves off, feeling cold and uncomfortable as a knock was heard at the door. Followed by a familiar voice.

"I'm not sure what you're doing in there, Pinkie dear, but all the hot water is gone. I know you like to shower but an hour is sort of pushing it, don't you think?" scolded Mrs.Cake from the other side of the door.

********************************************

Applejack and Twilight were chatting amiably in the central of Ponyville Park as the day slowly warmed from it's chilly morning. The conversation had started with a subject that Applejack was an expert at: apples. But invariably it had turned to the events of the previous day. Particularly the ones surrounding their two smitten friends. Even Twilight, who was generally not able to read pony's body language had picked up on the intention. Her bookish nature was leading her down a path of wonderment and the possibility of studying the relationship. Something Applejack would not allow.

"Are you sure, Applejack? I mean I don't think they'd mind if I asked politely. Are you sure it's...well THAT specifically? I didn't really notice anything out of the ordinary."

"So it didn't bother y'all how they kept feedin' each other strawberries yesterday and starin' into each others eyes?"

"I just thought they were playing around."

"Naw, sugar. Those two got it bad. Well heck I ain't ever seen Rainbow lookin' so happy to just hang around with someone. Not even me when we're competin' over somethin'. She's like a nervous lil' schoolfilly whenever Pinkie's givin' her special treatment."

"Why not just come out and ask them?"

"I dunno I think its best if we leave 'em be. Don't wanna seem nosy like Rare. If they wanted us to know they'd tell us. I mean ya already know Pinkie's pretty open about all her habits. No secrets with her. She ain't told us cause she ain't comfortable with it yet. And I'm sure Rainbow's probably feelin' the same way. When they want to tell us....they'll tell us....and by the looks of it here comes one of 'em to do so"

Applejack waved happily to the small blue figure on the outskirts of the park that was hurriedly making its way toward the farm pony and librarian. Rainbow Dash approached the bench, her head held low and constantly furling and unfurling her wings nervously.

"Well howdy, RD!" Applejack called to her incoming friend, tipping her hat. "First time I've seen ya without Pinkie tied to yer hip. How are things with ya? Have a nice breakfast?"

"Good day, Rainbow." Twilight waved. "How are you feeling today? Are your joints improving? Can you flap your wings yet?"

"I haven't really tried. Hey....um...can I talk with you guys about something?"

"Hey girls!" came a sweet and quiet voice a few meters away.

The three turned to see a familiar yellow pegasus trotting down the street with a green satchel at her side.

"Oh good, Fluttershy!" Dash sounded relieved. "This actually makes this a lot easier. And saves me a trip."

"Whats.....going...on?" Fluttershy asked as she approached the group. "Did I miss something important? I'm sorry."

"Not yet." Dash mumbled, pointing toward the bench. "Could you like, sit there with the others. I want to do this in one shot and this is already going to be really uncomfortable for everyone."

Fluttershy squeezed onto the bench in-between Applejack and Twilight on the bench. The three turned their gaze to Rainbow who was starting to pace in a circle, looking very serious. With an exasperated sigh the pegasus sat on her haunches and took a deep breath.

"So yeah. I'm in love with Pinkie Pie. There. Said it."

"Is that all?" Applejack said with a snort. "Shoot even I figured that out."

"I guess you and Rarity were right, Applejack." Twilight grinned. "Rainbow are you sure this isn't a case of Transference?"

"I have no idea what means. Also you already knew, AJ?" Rainbow was aghast. She thought she'd hidden it so well.

"Hon, when you and Pinkie splashed through our pool yesterday...shucks. I ain't ever seen two ponies tryin' harder to resist smoochin'."

"Transference is when someone who is sickly falls in love with their caretaker. It can happen to doctors and psychiatrists rather often."

"I....don't think its that." Rainbow murmured. "I mean I always kind of avoided Pinkie cause she made me feel weird. It just got really worse."

"When?"

"Well um......" Rainbow pawed the ground, kicking around a few pebbles. "It was the night of the sleepover at AJ's house. I wanted to sleep in an apple tree and Pinkie followed me. Pinkie asked me why I avoided her and I lied and...she saw right through me. And we just talked..... and it hurt me. Like it felt physically bad to me that I was avoiding her. And then after that we started....um....snuggling. I was really worried after that night that I was changing."

"Why didn't you tell us about it, Dash? Or me? I mean if you were in the south field orchard I couldn't have been more than a few seconds away at the tent." Applejack asked, looking concerned. "Ya shouldn't bottle this stuff up."

"I didn't tell you AJ cause....well...." Rainbow gulped and looked at the ground sounding hurt. "I was afraid you'd tease me and....I felt really weak and I was afraid I'd start crying or something stupid if you teased me so I just sort of kept my mouth shut."

"Oh, sugarcube!" Applejack slid off the bench and pulled Rainbow into a hug. "Y'all should never be afraid of tellin' me anything. I know we give each other a hard time but when it comes to serious matters I'd never poke fun at ya."

"So what happened after that?" Twilight asked, pulling out a quill and parchment and beginning to jot down notes.

"Well...I dunno I got really comfortable having Pinkie Pie around and I liked...holding her and hearing her laugh and talk. And whenever she was gone I'd feel really lonely. And then last night um....she kissed me."

"She kissed ya?" Applejack asked, trying to keep her voice down.

"Yeah on my ear and I got really scared at first but then I decided I liked how it felt. Then this morning um....wellp. I ended up kissing her in the shower and...."

"THE SHOWER?"

"Not like that!" Rainbow spluttered growing upset. "I was lonely and had a nightmare and wanted to talk to her. Then one thing led to another and we were kind of...making out I guess. I don't know I've never really done this before. I didn't even know I liked mares before. And I've never had a special somepony. This is all really new and weird to me."

"Is that what prompted you to tell us all this?" Twilight asked as she wrote notes furiously, smoke curling out from the quill as it danced at unheard of speeds on the parchment.

"Well no um. I was feeling really awesome about all this and....I sang."

"You sang?"

"Yeah. Uhh......I'm not sure how to put this." Rainbow asked, growing red in the face.

"Twilight." Fluttershy whispered. "Remember the bird calls? She means those."

"What on earth are ya talking about?" Applejack asked.

"Well when a pegasus loves some pony...a lot. Like a special somepony. We have songs we sing like birds do."

"I ain't ever heard any pegasus sing like a bird."

"It's a very private and intimate act, Applejack." Fluttershy continued. "And not every pegasus can do it anymore."

"You've been pretty quiet this whole conversation." Rainbow mumbled. "What are your thoughts on all this, Shy?"

"I think it's wonderful, actually." Fluttershy said with a smile as she joined Applejack on the ground and hugged Rainbow. "I always hoped one day you'd find someone special. Someone you could open up to. And it's someone as sweet as Pinkie."

"Are you sure that someone is Pinkie?" Twilight asked.

"Y...yeah." Rainbow quietly began. "I mean....I don't mind talking to her about mushy stuff. And....she tells me I'm beautiful and I've never had anyone say that to me and it makes me feel really happy and shy. And when I make her laugh or make her smile I feel like....I dunno. Like it's the best moment in the world. And when I look at her eyes I can't like...stop looking. And when she holds me I feel.....safe. And I want to keep her safe and happy. Everything about her is just....distracting and great and comfortable and I like it. I'm actually surprised you guys are taking this so well."

"Why's that, Sugarcube?" Applejack asked. "Did ya think we wouldn't approve?"

"I dunno. We're the Elements of Harmony. We're supposed to be friends. And here I am falling in love with my best friend. I can't help but feel it's wrong somehow. Plus I mean....I'm LOYALTY. If I'm taking preference for one friend over another what does that say about me? It's like I'm broken."

"That's a silly way of looking at it." Twilight said reassuringly. "Those are titles we earned by having those traits as the best of our personalities, Dash. It's not a job. It's not like we're princesses or clergy or something. Do you think Celestia would have been ok with Rarity flirting with her nephew if she didn't want us finding love?"

"I guess not." Dash mumbled, starting to brighten up.

"You should tell Pinkie how much you care for her." Fluttershy whispered. "I just know it'd make her happy. And I'm sure she feels the same."

"I agree. Dash y'all should buck up some courage and tell ol' Pinkie Pie how ya feel. You two fillies deserve each other. Don't let this slip through your hooves. Y'all don't wanna end up like me. Pining for some pony you can never have." Applejack agreed with a sad tone to her voice.

"I want to tell her." Dash replied. "But it's not just that. There's another thing buggin' me."

"What's that?" Twilight asked.

"It's just.....Pinkie has done so much for me these last few weeks. I mean...you guys all have done so much for me and I never would have pulled through this without you guys. You really are the best friends a pony could have but....Pinkie has sacrificed so much to be with me. She stayed with me so long, rarely leaving the house, never visiting her family and seeing the twins. Spending so much to keep me happy. Carrying me around. Missing out on parties and special events I know she loves. And she says it's ok but I know it hurts her. And I just........" Dash let out a long sigh. "I wish there was something I could do....to show her how much I appreciate her. To show her how much I care."

"Well have you tried thinking up ideas?" Fluttershy asked.

"Well...I was thinking maybe I could like.....spell out the words 'I love you' with some clouds above her house. But then that'd require me to fly and I can't do that again yet. Plus everyone in town would see it and get confused. Then I thought about like.....creating a new trick or stunt and naming it after her....but I'm not sure....." Dash kicked a rock away in frustration.

"You know Dash...." Twilight began. "These are all cute ideas but they are all ideas YOU would like to do. Why not do something that you and Pinkie would BOTH enjoy."

"All I'm good at is physical stuff." Dash grumbled, looking downtrodden.

"That's not true at all." Twilight replied cheerfully. "What about your newfound love of reading? What if you read her something. Something special. Something you wrote for her. I'm sure she'd love that."

"That.....is.....BRILLIANT!" Dash shouted happily. "Thanks, Twi! I'll write her something. Not sure what. Maybe I'll write something with me saving her from ninjas and robots and stuff!"

"OR! Or......" Twilight softly interrupted. "You could write her something honest that explains exactly how you feel."

"Or I could do that."

"Besides." Applejack said. "Knowing Pinkie she'd probably think ninjas and robots were actually attacking."

********************************

Rarity narrowed her eyes at the small darning needle clasped in the bend of her hoof. Beads of sweat poured down her beautiful features as she gently, gently, began to place a small zig-zag pattern along the crease of the fabric that sat bunched in front of her. On any other day she would be using her magic to knit and sew but this was a tiny detail. So minute in fact that she didn't trust her own magic to be able to perform the intricate act. It needed complete silence and total concentration. She had already sent Sweetie Belle away, letting the foal play outside. But now she was alone in the workshop, alone with her thoughts, pouring every ounce of energy and brainpower into the delicate weavework that she was applying to the jade fabric.

"SHE KISSED ME! SHE KISSED ME! SHE KISSED ME!" Pinkie sang (bellowed) as she came crashing in through the front door, sending mannequins and spools of thread scattering, and hopped madly about the floor, up the wall and across the ceiling. "SHE KISSED ME! SHE KISSED ME!"

"ARGH!!!!!" Rarity screeched, briefly sounding like an angry pirate as the darning needle sliced right into the fabric, tearing the delicate strings and leaving a big ugly mark that could never be properly repaired.

She clenched her teeth and screwed her eyes shut. Turning, she was prepared to give Pinkie a piece of her mind. Unleash a lecture the likes of which would go down in history. But then the pink pony's words registered in her brain. Who kissed what?

"Rainbow Dash kissed you?" Rarity asked, feeling all her anger leave her instantly as nosy curiosity made itself known.

"YES! SHE KISSED ME! SHE KISSED ME!" Pinkie continued to sing, leaping across the ceiling with little regard for gravity until Rarity pulled the pink mare to the floor in front of her with a zap of teal levitation magic.

"Spill it. Right now." Rarity demanded, crossing her arms and leaning back in her desk chair.

"Okay Okay! So last night after we got done picking and eating strawberries, Rainbow walked me home. And then I went to bed and we decided she should stay and I got excited and kissed her and she didn't seem to mind. And then when I woke up to have my shower and brush my teeth with my favorite pineapple flavor toothpaste, Rainbow came into the shower cause she had a bad dream and then she started kissing me on the neck!" Pinkie squee'd, shaking from excitement.

"Is that all?" Rarity asked, trying hard not to contain her excitement.

"Well no...." Pinkie replied, growing quiet. "After that she made this weird noise and looked really frightened and embarrassed. But then I hugged her again and she seemed ok."

"Why isn't she here with you?" Rarity levitated the ruined fabric into the trash bin.

"I'm not sure. She said she wanted to talk to Fluttershy and she ran off without any breakfast."

"Hmm. Was this the first time she's kissed you?"

"Yep!"

"Well she's probably trying to figure out her feelings. I'm assuming you two haven't really talked about how much you appreciate each others company?"

"Well...." Pinkie shuffled uncomfortably. "Not really. Rainbow told me how lonely she was once. So I wanted to be sure she didn't feel that way anymore. She's been pretty happy about it all I think."

"She probably just wants advice. I get the feeling this is probably a bit uncomfortable for her. Though why she wouldn't come to me for romantic advice is a mystery. I am an expert." Rarity snorted slightly and sat next to Pinkie Pie. "But the important thing here is that she reciprocated your feelings."

"I'm really happy." Pinkie whispered. "This is the best thing that's happened to me in a while. I hope I didn't scare Dashie off, I got kinda excited when she kissed me and yelled."

"Have you ever told her how you feel? How much you like her? I know in the past you probably would never have dared."

"The past?" Pinkie asked, tilting her head. "What do you mean, Rarity?"

"Well, while the others may not have noticed, I could always tell you liked Dash. I mean she's the only pony in our little group you have such an adorable pet name for. And you fuss over her so much. To tell the truth darling, I always felt sad for you. You enjoyed her company so much but she never seemed to feel the same. I think this has all been very fortunate to turn out this way. You're both young and inexperienced with this sort of thing, clearly."

"What should I do, Rarity?" Pinkie whined, flopping to the floor. "I'm not good at this. Should I throw her an 'I Love You' party? With heart-shaped balloons or something? I'm not even sure where I'd get that sort of stuff. The balloon store only carries round balloons. And they got upset when I asked if they had square ones."

"A party? Oh goodness no. Something elegant and quiet and romantic." Rarity began, her eyes glazing over. "Candlelight. Wine. Some light opera or modal jazz setting the mood as the lights dim. Both ponies looking their best. An entree the two can share under the light of the full moon."

"That doesn't sound very fun!" Pinkie squeaked, rolling over onto her belly. "But I'm willing to try anything! How do I even set up half of that stuff? I don't even know what modal jazz is. What's a modal? What's an entree? How do I even convince Dashie to attend something like this?"

"Don't you worry your head over this." Rarity began, drawing herself up and beginning to make a list on a piece of parchment. "I have sat idly by for too long. Letting you two break each others hearts. I shall plan it out and get you two at the right place at the right time. I am an expert on romance, after all."

Pinkie's eyes gleamed. "You're so wise, Rarity! You're like a wise old wizard from the top of a mountain except you don't have a beard and you don't turn ponies into frogs but help them find love instead!"

Rarity flinched. "Pinkie, please. Don't ever call me old."

"Sorry!"