• Published 29th Nov 2012
  • 3,033 Views, 99 Comments

Vaguely Familiar. - Reptilicus



Pinkie looks after an injured Rainbow Dash. The two learn alot.

  • ...
4
 99
 3,033

The scream becomes a yawn.

When Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie had arrived at the Cloudsdale Clinic, they learned that the young filly, Cinnamon Breeze, had been moved days prior to Canterlot Neurology Center for a special treatment. Whatever the treatment was had been spoken of in hushed whispers between the parents and the well dressed stallions who had come to discuss it. But afterwards the filly had been placed into a carriage along with her parents and the three had been whisked away to Canterlot. Which meant Dash and Pinkie would now need to take the train to Canterlot, the city of the royals, where the two deities, Celestia and Luna, ruled with altruism and benevolence. It was a beautiful city, with peaked white towers piercing the sky with great golden domes atop each one. The domes themselves were adorned with windows, pennants, and tapestries that fluttered through the wind. Great arching bridges between city streets cast shadows onto the purple and lavender cobblestone that made up most of the roads. These too, were lavishly decorated with marble and cloths. One often wondered if the nobility that lived within the city ever truly appreciated just how beautiful the town was. Nobody who ever visited the town ever got off the train without their mouths agape at the majesty of it all. Dash and Pinkie had been here a few times with Twilight Sparkle, who was the personal protege of Celestia. But that didn't make the effect of the city any less stunning, and their already slow pacing due to Dash's injuries, became a slothful crawl as they gazed around at the architecture rising from the busy streets.

The Canterlot Neurology Center itself was a small grey drystone minaret structure shaped like an onion, with louver windows going round the larger curve of it's shape, with copper cladding making dark brown stripes up through the sides of the building and ending at the twisted steeple which curled into the air. At the top tip of the steeple sat a wrought iron finial forming three letters: CNC. It was a strange looking building, to be sure. Inviting while simultaneously bizarre almost to the point of being scary. Pinkie joked about how the building would probably have been adored by Rarity, who could find something positive to say in even the most strange of modern art. The two slowly approached the front desk and asked which of the rooms the injured filly was being kept in. The nurse had been hesitant at first, allowing unregistered visitors to see a child in the hospital, but upon learning that the visitor was the Rainbow Dash from the newspaper, gave them the information that they needed. Now the two sat on a bench two floors below the surface, near a corridor labeled the Sky Skimmer Wing. Dash was checking the small satchel she had brought along to give to the family.

"Yep. It's all in there." Dash commented as she fished around in the bag.

"How much is in there?" Pinkie asked.

"800 bits." Dash said with a wry smile, leaning away from Pinkie, correctly predicting her friend's reaction.

"THATS IT!?" Pinkie screeched with the force of a hurricane wrestling a bear.

"Yeah. That's my life savings, Pinks. I don't make much at the weather factory, heh."

Pinkie's bottom lip trembled. She appeared ready to cry.

"Aww, c'mon pal. I'm fine. Don't do that!" Dash protested.

"But it's so little, Dashie. How do you even survive on only....that!?"

"I've never needed much, I guess. I mean heck, if I'm hungry and broke I'll sometimes just...you know...graze. On like wildflowers and grass and mushrooms and stuff and....oh c'mon don't gimme that look!"

Pinkie's pouting lip was trembling even harder at this point.

"There's nothing wrong with grazing!" Dash growled as Pinkie's arms gripped her in a rib-shattering hug.

"You should have told me or Rarity you didn't have any money! You shouldn't ever have to graze! Rarity has alotta bits and so do I! I get a big allowance from the Cakes when I actually do stuff there or babysit! And I never use it on anything except for that party a couple weeks ago and on food for Gummy but I've gotten more since then! Here...we can go to the bank and I could grab some and then-"

"NO!" Dash shouted, frightening Pinkie who shuffled away looking tearful. "Sorry. Just....no. You and the others have done enough already for me. I'm doing this on my own. And that includes meeting this kid's family."

"You don't want me to carry you?"

"No. This is something I have to do. Alone. So just sit here and wait for me. I'll be back in a few. Gonna try to keep this meeting short in case I start going to pieces around these ponies." Dash leaned down and gave Pinkie a gentle nudge on the forehead with her snout. "Don't worry about me. Okie dokie?"

"Okie dokie."


The corridor seemed to go on forever, with intimidating grey doors every few feet. Next to each door was a plastic shelf containing documents and paperwork describing the patient within the rooms and the doctors whom had been assigned to them. Every so often a door would open and a pony in medical garb would walk out and make their way down through one of the ends of corridor. On occasion one would pass by Dash as she walked, curious as to why a bandaged pony was limping painfully through the hall with no supervision. She'd flash them a cocky smile which would generally ward off suspicion and they'd disappear. Dash took a look at the door she just passed. 505. She was two doors away from her destination. Her pace slowed further as she approached. Should have planned ahead. What was she going to say to these ponies? She wasn't even sure. Could she just drop the money and knock on the door and run? She can't run with her legs still hurting like this. Dangit. Well, here we go.

Dash sat on her haunches in front of the door. She gave her wings a quick flap just to test their strength, and was answered with a painful pang and the feeling of atrophied muscles. Couldn't fly away if she knocked on the door either. She was going to have to do this personally whether she wanted to or not. Face to face. Pony to pony. She shakily lifted a hoof and gave the door a quick knock, wincing as the sound echoed through the corridor like an alarm. She heard a quiet shout from inside the room and began to back away from the door. With a clatter it burst open and a tiny filly came tumbling out.

Jeez she is really small, was the first thought to come to Dash's mind. The filly really was very small, scarcely larger than a rabbit with shaggy white fur all the way down to her fetlocks. Her black mane was shaggy as well, almost entirely hiding the giant hazel eyes on her face as she ran up to Dash, her droopy tail wagging happily and simultaneously sweeping the floor.

"OMIGOSS WAINBOW DASS!" she squeaked, doing a small dance seeming very happy and excited to have a visitor.

"Hey there..." Dash spoke softly, leaning down to look at the small quivering creature before her. "Are you Cinnamon?"

"YA! I'm Cimmawim! POPPA! Wainbow Dass!" unable to contain her excitement, the tiny filly began running in circles around Dash, sputtering garbled happy words that were difficult to understand.

A very tired and stressed looking chestnut-coated lanky pegasus stallion made his way to the doorframe, followed by an equally tired gold mare with a white wispy mane. Autumn Breeze and his wife, Sea. They both smiled wearily at Dash as they exited. The father looked down at his daughter as she ran in circles, laughing happily.

"Yes I know, honey!" he turned to give Dash a respectful nod. "Thank you for letting her meet you. It means a lot to us."

"She's your biggest fan, you know. After you saved the Princess from those awful changelings." Sea chimed. "It was why we we went to the race in the first place. So she could see you perform."

"I'm honored, really. I am. Also I didn't really save the Princess...I mean I helped. I beat the tar out of a bunch of them. It was Twilight Sparkle who did most of the heavy lifting. So um...." Dash glanced down as the filly began climbing over her foot. "How long has she been out of the coma? Did everything check out, ok?"

"Pwincess Siwestia wuz here!" the filly squeaked. "Poppa sez she made my head betta!"

Dash made a mental note to send Celestia the nicest letter she could possibly write. And maybe a gift of some sort, as well. This was the best news she'd heard in some time.

"So you're my biggest fan, huh?" Dash asked, giving the tiny pegasus a gentle pat on the head. "Can you fly yet?"

"Yah! I can fwy but poppa says I'm not awwowed to fwy until I don' have these." she replied, pawing at the stitches on her face.

"Well I'm glad you're ok." Dash said, hugging the child. "And I'm sorry you got hurt. And I'm sorry you all had to go through this. I uh....actually brought something...."

She fished around behind her body and pulled out the small satchel.

"I've been really lucky. And you guys haven't and I don't think I could live with myself if I didn't help pay for the costs of all this stuff so.....I want you guys to have this."

Sheepishly she held forward the modest sack of bits.

Autumn suddenly looked alarmingly confused at Dash. "Um....miss Dash you already paid for all the hospital bills."

Now it was Dash's turn to look confused.

"I....I did?"

"You don't remember?" Sea asked. "It was only yesterday."

"I'll be honest with all the medications, sometimes parts of my day have been a blur...." Dash replied, rubbing her head.

"Perhaps you should lie down for a while, dear." Sea suggested. "You look rather out-of-sorts. I can't imagine walking here was very good for you."

"Yeah....uh....maybe I will."

With a few warm goodbyes and a last glance of confusion at the family, Dash turned and slowly trudged back down the corridor. Her mind was abuzz with questions that had no answers.

***************************************

"I don't get it. The nurse even said all their expenses had been paid....IN FULL....by someone claiming to be me. And she said this apparently isn't the first time it's happened either."

Dash and Pinkie were making their way back to the Canterlot train station. After having walked through the hallway twice, the pegasus legs hurt enough that she was once again, more than happy to be carried along like a sack of potatoes through the town. She was so confused and certain she'd never been to the hospital before. But who would have paid for the expenses of the family? And why would they have let her take credit? It didn't make sense.

"Hey Pinkie." Dash asked, her voice getting lower in tone. "You and the others aren't doing another Mare-Do-Well thing and pretending to be ME this time or something, right?"

"Nope!" came the cheerful reply. "I guess some pony just felt like making your life a little easier, Dashie. You should be happy! Now you have less things to worry about and you get to not spend all of your bits! Some anonymous pony cared enough about you to make you happy. I think that's pretty special. Not sure why it's making you so upset."

"I'm not upset....ok I am a little upset. It's just weird, alright? They could have asked me first or let me know in advance. I'm probably never going to find out who it was now."

************************************

Days passed and the weather took a colder turn as the first signs of autumn made their way across Equestria. The green shade on the leaves began to tint brown, not quite ready to die and fall off but showing the first fickle signs of the changing of the seasons. Frost began to form in the mornings on the tips of plants, melting into dew once the sun rose and heated the land. Ponies began going out with scarves and hats. Animals began to collect around the warmth of Fluttershy's cottage. The ice-cream vendor wagons started to dole out hot chocolate instead of the usual frozen treats. Ponies stopped taking dips in the rivers and lakes and started finding cozier, warmer places to hang out in during the day.

For the Elements of Harmony this only meant they had a few more convenient excuses to hang out. And quite a few places to hang out in. For today they were having a party. A sort of spur-of-the-moment party caused by an incident earlier that day. What had started off as a frightening run through town had become a sort of blessing in disguise. So, simply by proxy and distance needed to be traveled, the party was being held at the spa near Rarity's house. While it was a joyous event, they were unaware that Twilight Sparkle would be arriving soon with some strange and sombre news.

"Honestly you two, this is a spa not a public pool!" Rarity lectured, rolling her eyes as another ball of spa mud soared through the air.

"Aww, let 'em have their fun, Rare." came Applejack's reply. The two were sitting with Fluttershy in a jacuzzi not far from the mud bath station. "Heck, it's just mud, right? They can always get more."

"Just mud? Dear, this is not JUST mud. It's peat moss, imported ash, oregano, and pure water from the Canterlot Gardens. It is expensive to procure and produce and they're just throwing it around!" Rarity quipped as she glared at the other two guests.

"Sorry Rarity!" Rainbow Dash shouted as she fended off another mud ball thrown her way. "But I can't really relax in this itchy goop. Also are you sure this is gonna help my staple holes heal up? I mean....I'm not a doctor but I can't see how dirty water is healthy in any way."

"BAZOW!" Pinkie shouted triumphantly as a perfectly aimed ball of mud collided into Rainbow's forehead.

"Oh you're gonna get it now!" Rainbow leaped above the surface briefly and swam ferociously towards the pink menace.

Rarity sighed in frustration. While it was a wonderful event that Fluttershy and Zecora's poultices had seemed to instill a new energy into her injured friend, the original reason for inviting Dash to the spa was to help with the recovery process. However as she had keenly observed, Rainbow and Pinkie weren't really made for the spa. They were too excitable, too energetic, and as she kept trying to mention to Applejack, they were seemingly unable to keep their hooves off each other.

Every few minutes of relaxation had been interrupted by some sort of outburst of laughter or play, generally ending with one of the two mares affectionately hugging or nibbling the ear of the other. It would have been cute, perhaps, if it didn't happen every time Rarity finally felt herself becoming less stressed. Applejack of course, couldn't see anything strange going on, which Rarity blamed on the fact that Applejack had all the observational skills of a watermelon.

"So. You still deny it?" Rarity asked quietly to Applejack, pointing a hoof at the two mares a few feet over who seemed to be having an ear-pulling contest like two puppy dogs.

"I don't see it, Rare." Applejack sighed, rolling her eyes. "Rainbow's always liked horsin' around. I don't see how this is any different to how she was before the injury."

"Really? REALLY? How is it someone who can tell that a fruit is rotten before it even changes color can't see that two of her best friends clearly fancy each other? Why am I the only pony around here who can see these things!" Rarity threw her hooves up in exasperation. "Surely you've noticed the change in Dash's demeanor, Fluttershy? I'm not alone here am I?"

Fluttershy had spent the entire outgoing quietly trying not to watch Dash and Pinkie. A small smile had been on her face the entire time, but Rarity's question had wiped it clean off.

"Oh! Um....no not really." the yellow pegasus fidgeted. "Maybe you should explain it...better?"

"So I'm really the only pony who has noticed? Alright here. Look at how the two of them stare at each other. Watch how Dash just follows Pinkie around like a duckling. Or how even when Pinkie is at her chattiest, Dash never tries to shush the poor thing anymore. And when they came in and Dash was wearing that fetching suit I made for her, was I the only one who noticed how Pinkie just couldn't stop staring at Dash? She was practically drooling. Like she was looking at a pure chocolate cupcake with truffle icing."

Applejack laughed loudly at the metaphor while Fluttershy tried her hardest not to yelp in dismay.

"Naw, Rare. I still think yer seein' things." Applejack commented, taking a sip of the iced tea sitting poolside. "Dash follows Pinkie around cause she can't do alotta stuff on her own still. She's just bein' polite when Pinkie talks too much. And I think every pony in the room finds that hoodie you made for Rainbow pretty spiffy. Probably one of the best pieces I ever seen ya sew, and that's sayin' somethin'."

"UGH. What about you, Fluttershy?" Rarity asked with a roll of her eyes at the farm pony.

"Sorry Rarity. I can't see it either." Fluttershy said sadly. She knew it was a lie, and she hated lies. But as Pinkie had always said, telling a friend's secret was the best way to lose that friend. FOREVER.

"FINDERS KEEPERS!" Pinkie screeched happily, landing in the jacuzzi momentarily, with a jar of bath salts clenched in her teeth. All the mud that had been stuck to her body washed off the moment she had landed in the jacuzzi, splashing her friends and sending a muddy wave of water gushing over the sides of the pool.

"LOSERS WEEPERS!" Rainbow shouted, leaping over the jacuzzi with a clumsy flap of her wings.

"Dangit, Rainbow!" Applejack growled more to herself than to the fleeing criminal. "Y'all got mud in the pool and ya spilled mah darn drink and to top if off y-"

She was silenced by a sharp prod in the shoulder by Rarity's cloven hoof, glancing to see her friend nodding frantically past her. Applejack turned to see what had drawn the unicorn's attention, nearly gasping at the event that was unfolding a few feet away.

Rainbow had managed to tackle Pinkie and extract the jar of bath salts that were currently rolling away, destined for places unknown. The pegasus was leering at the pink earth pony she had pinned to the floor. At the moment the two were just staring at each other, breathing hard from exertion, but it was hard to deny there was a hunger in their eyes. They both seemed delighted yet frightened all at once, their bodies nearly touching as water dripped from them both, forming a puddle. Rainbow seemed to recover first, blushing and taking her hooves from Pinkie's shoulders so the earth mare could sit up. Their manes were plastered to their heads from the moisture of the pool, giving them a wild untamed appearance. For a moment the two just sat, staring each other down, in the puddle. The room went silent, even the two receptionists at the counter stopped what they were doing simply to watch the scene unfold. Pinkie began to tremble, clearing her throat and looking away. Rainbow swallowed and rubbed the back of her neck awkwardly.

"Your hair....looks nice like that...." Rainbow coughed out. "All...droopy and stuff."

Pinkie's eyes lit up as a giant smile plastered its way across her features. "Thank you, Rainbow!"

She rushed forward and pulled the pegasus into a very drippy hug. Rainbow's eyelids fluttered briefly before she sighed happily and hugged the pink mare back.

"Oh goodness." Fluttershy squeaked, covering her face with her hooves.

"Just seeing things, hmm?" Rarity said in a mocking tone, giving Applejack a look that screamed 'I told you so'.

The two lovestruck ponies sheepishly made their way to the jacuzzi and jumped in, as a knowing glance passed between their friends.

"S..sorry." Dash mumbled. "About the whole mess."

"Y'all owe me a dang iced tea." grumped Applejack, folding her arms.

The door to the spa swung open, drawing everyone's attention yet again as Twilight Sparkle entered. She seemed rather pensive as she entered the room, and only grew more so at the silence met at her arrival.

"Hey girls." Twilight called. "What's up."

"Not much, dear. Pinkie is just destroying the spa, as usual." Rarity flatly announced with a thin smile.

"Yep!" Pinkie announced proudly. "Hiya, Twilight!"

"Howdy, Sugarcube!" Applejack shouted. "Glad y'all finally made it. Was startin' to wonder if ya got lost."

"I'm late for a really good reason, actually. Is the plan today to go pick strawberries, still? I'm surprised you guys didn't leave without me, yet."

"Yes, ma'am. Plan still ain't changed."

"Good. What's uh....this little party for?" Twilight asked, looking around. "Did I miss something?"

"It's a party to celebrate Dash being able to fly again." Fluttershy said.

"Well I can't really...fly. But I can glide again." Rainbow muttered, trying not to look too proud of herself.

"Why were you trying to fly?" Twilight asked, looking concerned. "You're supposed to be taking it easy."

"Your cloudwalking spell wore off on my sleeping bag, Twilight." Pinkie began. "And when I went to go check up on the Cakes it fell through the floor. And when Dashie woke up from sleep she thought I'd fallen through the floor and she was scared I'd fallen off the cloud and gotten hurt so she glided down to the forest and ran all the way to Sugarcube Corner. She was so worried and sad! But then we were both really happy because she was able to fly and run without needing help!"

"Oh." Twilight blinked. "Well I guess that's a good sign. How was the staple removal?"

"It was like getting stabbed by worlds tiniest knife a few hundred times, Twi." Rainbow replied, grimacing. "But at least I can sleep comfortably again. And run around without feeling those things pulling on my tummy. Plus, I got a cool scar out of it."

Rainbow stood on her hind legs to showcase the dreadful crooked scar going down the center of her body, causing everyone else to wince.

"I always kind of wanted a cool scar. Now I got the coolest scar in Ponyville."

"Yes and you only had to nearly die to get it." Rarity mentioned with a lopsided grin.

"Rainbow, I know Zecora has some powders that are good for smoothing furrows and wrinkles in skin. I'm sure they could help with your scars....that is if...um...you wanted to." Fluttershy whispered.

"Heck, no! These scars make me look cool! Right, Pinks?"

Pinkie nodded dreamily, staring at Rainbow's torso.

"Get rid of wrinkles, you say?" Rarity inquired, shooting a surprised glance at Fluttershy. "Clearly I need to give miss Zecora a visit."

"Oh for Pete's sake. Ya look fine, Rare!" Applejack growled, looking at the ceiling. "I don't even see the point of comin' to this here spa anyway. Waste o' bits."

"A waste of bits? A WASTE? I'll have you know that I -"

"Girls, please." Twilight interrupted. "Before we get too far into this argument on what constitutes as a constructive expenditure of bits, I actually need to borrow Dash for a moment."

"Awww, really? I was just starting to feel all....relaxed and cleansed and other words Rarity uses." Dash grumbled pulling herself out of the jacuzzi and shaking the water off, sending droplets spraying everywhere.

"It's sort of important, Dash." Twilight replied quietly looking pensive again. "It has to do with your hospital expenses."

"Oh goody." Dash sighed as she exited the door with Twilight. Whatever this was about couldn't be good.

**************************************

"So how have you been, Dash?" Twilight asked as the two of them made their way across the street.

"I've been pretty great!" Dash announced happily. "Everything still hurts but I'm not immobile anymore."

"How have things been at home? Are your living conditions still....up to par for recovery? Nothing to worry or complain about? No incidents?"

Dash shot Twilight a skeptical look. "What're you getting at, Sparkle?"

"I'm just worried." Twilight mumbled. "After the night Pinkie forgot to give you your medication I've been worrying about letting her stay there. Then when I found out you tried to fly today, when I'm sure your wings aren't healed yet, just reminded me how worried I've been. It's ok if things aren't working out, Dash. Applejack and Rarity and I have plenty of extra room if you need a place to stay. That is of course if things aren't going well...."

"You kidding?" Dash asked looking surprised. "Living with Pinkie is great! These last few weeks have been awesome!"

"Really?" Twilight's voice rose a few octaves, seeming confused. "I would have thought by now you'd have gotten tired of her...quirks."

"Nah, she's cool." Dash replied. "I'm actually gonna start working at Sugarcube Corner. Just so I can hang out with her more. At least until my wings are back in shape."

"Oh! Well that's....unexpected." Twilight coughed, turning towards the streetcorner with a concerned look. "Alright Dash we're almost to him. Please don't get upset or anything."

"Him? Upset?" Dash asked. "What's going on?"

A small flock of sparrows flew overhead accompanied by a chilly gust of wind and a few autumn leaves rustling through the cobblestone street. Twilight came to a stop and sat at the corner clearing her throat as Dash looked on confused. There was a quiet creak, like that of a door swinging open, and the sound of hooves approaching from around the corner of the bakery they were currently sitting next to. Dash glanced around, wondering what the point of all this privacy was. Then a stallion turned the corner, looking directly at the pegasus with a grief-filled expression. His coat was buttery-brown, with long straw-colored hair in his mane that nearly hid his eyes from view. He numbly slowed to a stop near Twilight. It was a stallion Dash had known for a long time, and was in no rush to see again.

"What are you doing here?" Dash growled, flaring out her wings and backing up a few steps looking furious and ready to pounce. "Can't you just leave me alone?"

"Twilight felt I needed to be honest about my actions lately." Hoops calmly whispered, looking at the ground and shuffling.

"Which means what to me?"

"I'm the one who paid for the expenses of the other accident victims." replied Hoops quietly.

"What do you want? A medal? A pat on the back? Forgiveness for being a jerk to me and my friends ever since I was little?" Dash stepped forward, spitting at Hoop's hooves with malice. "Cause you aren't getting any of that."

"No, actually." Hoops began calmly. "I don't really deserve to be forgiven. I would be foolish to hope for that now. I just sorta wanted to explain myself. During the race I...I was just so full of myself. And it made me so happy to see you suffer. And when you hit that lamp it just....it all went out of me."

"Bull." Dash growled turning away.

"I wasn't expecting you to believe me. I'm not a trustworthy guy." Hoops continued. "When I saw you pull yourself from the fire and screaming I realized that nothing had changed. You were still the same screaming filly that me and my friends would make fun of. In the decade since then I was still the bully and you were still the victim. And right then and there I knew that I was a terrible pony. Everything I'd ever done was for my own interests and I'd ruined the lives of others just for a few jollies here and there. I'm not expecting forgiveness, I'm just trying to redeem myself in some way so I can sleep at night again. This has been a very eye-opening experience for me."

"Hoops went to Celestia to ask her what would be the best way of trying to change himself into a better pony. So she sent him my way. He's paid for the expenses for everyone involved with the crash, Dash. And that includes yours." Twilight said softly.

"Yeah, make sure to brag about it." Dash spat.

"No one knows but us and Celestia." Hoops replied calmly.

"Then why? Why do all this anyway?" Dash growled.

"Because....I can't help but think......if I hadn't made fun of you that day. If I hadn't egged you on. If I hadn't been such a bully to you when we were foals....if I hadn't become such a sociopath......maybe you wouldn't have pushed yourself to race that day and none of this would have happened. I can't take back all the things I said when we were young. I can't go back and stop myself from being a huge jerk as an adult either. But I can take responsibility for things I helped bring about."

"Hmmph." Dash mumbled, her expression softening. "Well thanks for spending your money to help others I guess. How'd you afford it all anyway?"

"Rich uncle." Hoops grinned slightly. "Been saving it for a rainy day."

"So why even tell me about all this? You could have remained anonymous. Did you think this would make it all ok? That I'd be OK with seeing you again after that day? After the last thing I heard before I crashed was your voice mocking me from your precious little booth? That could have ended up being the last thing I'd ever hear, you know that right?"

"Twilight felt you should know. She said it would probably bother you if someone did some good in your name without asking first. Apparently something similar happened once before and it bothered you a lot. Plus, I wanted to ask you something before I leave."

"Fire away, I guess." Dash gave Hoops a suspicious look.

"Is there anything more I can do? To make things easier for you." Hoops asked. "I know your recovery has been difficult."

"You know what? If you want to make me happy, take this whole half-baked song and dance and give it to someone who really deserves it. FLUTTERSHY. You and your jerk friends made her life miserable. She's still not over it. She's frightened of meeting new ponies. She's too scared to talk to stallions, even ones she likes. She's too scared to leave her house most of the time. She's been traumatized since then. And it's your fault. YOU made her this way."

"I'm planning to speak with her. And others whose lives I've affected negatively." Hoops replied. "Not sure what I'm going to say. To any of them."

"Good." Dash growled, getting up. "I'm going back to hang out with my friends. Good luck on your quest to be less of a jerk or whatever, Hoops. And thanks for ponying up the money to pay for my stuff, I guess."

"If you need anything. Ask." Hoops said with a small nod. "I owe you."

"No." Dash called as she walked off. "You owe Fluttershy."

"Sorry about that, Rainbow." Twilight said as she caught up with the marching pegasus. "I thought it'd be best if you knew. I don't like keeping secrets."

"It's cool, Twi." Dash mumbled. "If he can find a way to make Fluttershy...... hurt less...maybe I can find it in myself to forgive him. But he won't. I know he won't."

"Well that's good, Dash." Twilight nodded approvingly. "I'm very proud of you."

"Yeah yeah, whatever."

************************************************

Strawberry picking out on the berry plantations was a fun albeit inefficient affair. For every one of the juicy little berries that was picked, two were eaten happily by the group who had arrived. Not that the farmers could complain, they still all managed to fill ten barrels with the ripe red fruits. More than enough to last throughout the winter and be used in the cordials that were popular during the cold seasons. It had taken all day and they had skipped dinner, but the Elements of Harmony stood back to admire their work. Nearly one hundred acres of strawberries picked. Not too shabby. But the evening was coming and although the day had been fun, the six friends knew it was time to depart and head home. They almost all each went their separate ways. All but two who made a beeline for Sugarcube Corner.


"You sure about this, Dashie? I mean I don't mind staying at your place it's pretty comfortababble and nice." Pinkie objected as she went up the almond stairs to her room in Sugarcube Corner, followed by Dash. "It's not that far!"

"It is that far and plus you've been sleeping up on my cloud for weeks now. Don't you WANT to be able to sleep at home again?" Dash entered Pinkie's room, a claustrophobic chaotic den of party favors and pink and yellow furniture. "You can sleep in your own bed. It's not fair to you that you have to babysit me all day."

"I have missed my bed..." Pinkie eyed the pink and white bedsheet hungrily before pouncing onto it, sending pillows and dolls flying into the air. "I REALLY missed my bed."

"Also think of it this way, Pinks. If your sleeping bag already lost its cloudwalking spell, yours is probably running out too. If it hasn't already. And I know Twilight's gonna be upset if we bother her at this time of night just so she can redo it."

"What did she want to talk to you about? Not that it's any of my business but I am curious! Curious as a cat! Or a caterpillar since they tend to crawl everywhere!" Pinkie continued bouncing up and down on the bed, catching some sick air.

"Oh THAT." Dash grumbled, pulling her hoodie down and straightening her mane with a hoof. "An old bully who used to bother me and torture Fluttershy decided to try and make amends. He was the announcer at the race who kept drawing attention my way whenever I screwed up or lost ground. I told him off."

"Applejack yelled a whole bunch of bad words whenever he started saying anything." Pinkie said with a laugh. "We had to convince her not to go up there and beat him up. She wanted to do it so badly too."

"Ha! Good ol' AJ." Rainbow shook her head with a grin.

The pegasus hopped up to the windowsill and gave the round window a push. It swung open with a creak as the cool night air rushed into the room. Rainbow spread her wings, steadying herself to leap onto the roof and glide down to the dark streets below.

"Goodnight Pinks." Rainbow called, casting a quick glance back at her friend before she cast off into the dark. The lonely look on the party pony's pink face made her stop in her tracks entirely.

"You.....could stay here tonight if you want." Pinkie murmured, her voice barely above a whisper. "There's plenty of room and I wouldn't want you to be lonely at your house."

"OH...." Dash nervously rubbed the back of her neck as she looked at the bed. It was pretty large, to tell the truth. And it looked very soft. Pinkie was nearly sinking into the sheets as if they were quicksand. "Well if you don't mind, I guess. I don't wanna be in the way..."

Dash swallowed and tried to calm her nerves. She wasn't particularly a fan of sleepovers. And this was with Pinkie, someone whom she was already growing worried that she was growing too close to. In the back of her head she did want to stay. Snuggling with Pinkie at night just felt so comfortable. And waking up with Pinkie happily wrapped up in her arms made Dash feel strangely proud. Proud that she had this incredibly generous and kind pink mare with her who made her feel like a champion. Like the winner she always wished she was and pretended to be. A warm sense of relief flooded her body as Pinkie gave the sheets a small pat with her hooves, inviting Dash to join her. Dash grinned sheepishly and hopped onto the bed, sinking into the bedcloths.

"It a lot warmer in here than up in my cloud." Dash mentioned as she began to pull her tracksuit off. "I can see why it bothers earth ponies so much to stay up there. It must feel like freezing."

"Yeah..." Pinkie said quietly.

Dash tossed the garment to the floor, turning to see that Pinkie was in a sort of daze. Her pupils had dilated and her cheeks had gone very pink. It took a moment for Dash to realize this was an effect of having undressed right in front of her. Especially since it was in that suit that always seemed to distract Pinkie whenever Dash wore it.

"Earth to Pinkie!" Dash waved her hoof in front of her friend's face. "Please establish contact. Commencing countdown, engines on."

"Oh whoops!" Pinkie gasped returning back to normal. "Sorry! I was thinking about things. And when I thing think I get kind of distracted."

"You really like my suit, huh?" Dash asked raising an eyebrow and grinning devilishly.

"Well yeah it makes you look so attractive!" Pinkie blurted, suddenly looking shocked and trying to reword her sentence. "Cause um it's a really good suit you know and Rarity always does such good suits that always bring out the best in a pony's looks and you know I always have such an appreciation for costumes and disguises and things that change how ponies look so it makes sense that I'd really like her suit and I DO like her suit and I like it on you cause it looks really good on you and I don't think it'd look as good on anyone else and-"

The tirade was silenced by Dash placing her hoof gently on Pinkie's muzzle.

"Ok! Ok! I get it!" Dash grinned at the embarrassed pink pony.

"Sorry." Pinkie grimaced, fumbling with one of the pillows. "It just makes you look really beautiful."

"You know you're the only pony who has ever called me that." Dash said softly, leaning forward to nuzzle Pinkie on her neck. "I don't really agree with it but....thanks."

Dash leaped into the air and tugged on the cord of the ceiling fan. There was a click as the lamp turned off, muting the bright colors of the room into a dull blue, tinged with the white light of the rising moon outside the window. Dash made her way to the blinds ready to draw them closed.

"Don't do that! You'll block out the moonlight!" Pinkie cried.

"Oh alright." Dash leaped back into the bed, curling up under the bedsheets. "I know some ponies cant sleep with the moonlight. They need pitch black darkness for whatever reason."

Pinkie flopped into the bed next to Dash. It was way different than the couch in Dash's house. Here they had plenty of room to look at each other. Two pairs of eyes stared unblinkingly at each other. The quiet breathing and steady heartbeats being the only sound in the room. They lay admiring each other for some time. Dash outstretched her wing and gently placed it on Pinkie's back, pushing her close and drawing their bodies together until their abdomens were pushed against each other. One tough and rugged, and the other soft and gentle. Pinkie watched as the wing retracted back to Dash's side and with a quick motion she gave it a gentle stroke, fascinated by the limb and it's power.

"Dashie...." Pinkie began, her voice trembling. "Whats flying like?"

"I'm not sure how to describe it." Dash put her arms around Pinkie's shoulders, drawing their bodies closer together. "It's like that feeling you get when you're looking out over a hill or into a forest and it looks like it goes on forever. That feeling of freedom where you know you can go anywhere and do whatever you want and there's nobody around to tell you not to. And when the clouds are rushing past you and the wind is whistling so loudly you can't hear anything else....the speed of it all. It's just awesome."

Pinkie snorted happily and nuzzled Dash on the cheek.

"One day, when my wings are working again Pinkie." Dash began. "I wanna take you up there. Flying, ya know? I want you to see what the moon is like from up there. Down here it's like a floating coin in the sky. But up there...it's like this big amazing ball of light that makes everything just seem magical."

"I'd like that." Pinkie mumbled, resting her head on Dash's neck and wrapping her back legs around Dash's waist, pulling their bodies into a warm intimate embrace.

She glanced up at the cyan ear that sat only a few mere inches from her eyes. This feeling was so elating. So amazing. Here in this quiet she had everything she'd ever wanted. She had her Dashie and for the first time in a long time, there was nothing wrong, nothing to worry about, this moment in time was perfect. She felt her subconscious spurring her forward, into action, and without thinking about it Pinkie gave the ear a gentle lick, the most natural of a kiss she could think of. Immediately she felt Dash's entire body tense up, all the sinewy muscles contracting. A small whimper escaped from Dash as her body shivered. Pinkie was filled with fear. Had she gone too far this time?

Please don't push me away. Please. Please don't push me away.

A few tense moments passed and then relief came in the feeling of Dash relaxing again. Pinkie sighed happily. Her fears gone for the moment with the quiet breathing of her friend.

She didn't push me away! YEAH!!!

"Sorry." she whispered. "I got carried away a little."

"You're so weird, Pinkie." Dash cooed, rubbing her snout into Pinkie's neck, causing the pink mare to giggle. "But that's why I like you. And I like this...you know? This whole thing we have here. It makes me happy."

Dash wrapped her prismatic tail around Pinkie's curly one, grinning as she heard the sharp gasp from near her shoulder.

"Hey, what do you want for breakfast, Pinkie?"

"You're gonna make breakfast? You can cook?" Pinkie sounded surprised. Nobody had ever seen Dash cook anything. Except for cooking up some excitement for an athletic event. Wakka wakka wakka! Pinkie made a mental note to remember that joke.

"I'll be honest here, no. But you've given me so much and I haven't given you anything back. I mean...I can make eggs. Eggs are simple and easy to cook. Want eggs for breakfast?"

Pinkie giggled loudly and buried her face into Dash's mane.

"I'll take that as a yes, then." Dash replied with a hint of sarcasm.

Meanwhile on the far side of the room, Gummy the wall-eyed alligator and pet of Pinkie sat silently in the darkness of his cage. His plans for world domination would soon come to fruition. All he needed to do now was wait.

"SOON" he thought, blinking his blank purple eyes that knew only infinite hatred and sorrow. "...............SOON."