• Published 8th Nov 2012
  • 5,748 Views, 1,311 Comments

AppleDash Group Collab - DbzOrDie



Mini-fics written by AppleDash members.

  • ...
48
 1,311
 5,748

PreviousChapters Next
Scootaloo - Roughhouse

Despite what I thought as a filly, being a Wonderbolt was no walk in the orchard. My wings felt like lead blocks strapped to my back, and at the end of the day, I was all too grateful to be back on my hooves again. The crunch of the gravel beneath them felt so comforting and familiar that I trudged through the pathway to the farmhouse slowly, enjoying the sensation of rocks lodging themselves in my hooves. It was getting lateā€”the sun had just dipped below the apple trees, and the family had long since wrapped up their daily chores and headed in for dinner.

Mmm, dinner. Oh, how my stomach longed for food that wasnā€™t from the Wonderbolts cafeteria. I could smell the apples on the trees around me, their sweet scent wafting in the warm evening air, but I held off in hopes of an even better meal.

A tired smile drifted to my face as I approached the farmhouse, and I reached out, already envisioning those freckles and a long, warm hug.

My hoof hadnā€™t even reached the door before it was shoved open.

ā€œRainbow Dash!ā€ It was not a voice I expected to hear, and to be honest, not quite the one I wanted to hear right now. ā€œHow was your first day as a Wonderbolt? Have you done a show yet? Oh my gosh, youā€™ll be all over the papers tomorrow!ā€

ā€œYou bet I will be, squirt,ā€ I said, trying to convey my excitement through my weariness. ā€œThough it was only the first day. Iā€™ve got a lot to brush up on before we do any performances.ā€

The house was thick with the scent of fresh apple pie and cinnamon, and I struggled to focus on the fillyā€™s zealous words through my hunger and tiredness.

ā€œScootaloo, Sugarcube, give her some space. Dashā€™s plumb tuckered out after all that flyinā€™,ā€ Applejackā€™s voice drawled. She smiled and wrapped me in a strong, warm hug.

ā€œGlad to have you home, Dash. Are you alright?ā€ She whispered into my ear.

ā€œUh huh,ā€ I said, mumbling softly into her mane. I wrapped my sore lead wings around her. All they seemed good for now is for holding her closer.

Later that night, after a belly full of delicious food, a warm bath, and a mareā€™s tender affections, I laid on our bed thinking. I had melted into the sheets, spread my wings, and closed my eyes with a sign, enjoying Applejackā€™s gentle and much-needed preening.

ā€œAJ?ā€ I prompted, a little too timidly than I would have liked.

Between pulling straight my wet flight feathers and fluffing out newly grown ones with her teeth, Applejack responded, ā€œYeah, hon?ā€

I wasnā€™t sure how to tell her how appreciative I was of this, of her giving me a place to come home to after working so hard. Not like my cold, lonesome, fancy cloud house. A real place, full of family, friends, warmth, music, stories, good food, and more love and sappiness than I knew what to do with. I mean, I had everything I dreamed ofā€”impending fame and fortune, awesome talent, and adoring fans. But at the end of the day when none of that mattered, she was still here for me, holding me, cleaning the gunk out of my feathers, and feeding my dumb self who barely knew how to make a hayburger. How in the world was I supposed to thank her for all that?

ā€œā€¦Thanks.ā€ I finally managed. It felt weak and inadequate to my ears.

ā€œā€™Course, Sugarcube.ā€ She nuzzled into my feathers, a feeling that always brought a smile to my lips. ā€œYou know I love preeninā€™ you.ā€

ā€œNotā€¦ just for that. I mean, for everything. For always being here for me. When Iā€™m up in the clouds for so long, I forget just how much warmer it is near the groundā€¦ Near you.ā€

Two green eyes and a grin popped up from between my half-preened feathers. She slowly slid over me, cupping my cheek with a hoof and drawing nearer.

ā€œWho are you and what have you done with Rainbow Dash?ā€ Applejack said.

She laughed melodically as I shoved her. ā€œVery funny, AJ.ā€

I knew then I didnā€™t have to thank her. The world could be ending, and we'd still be here, playing and roughhousing like there's no tomorrow.

PreviousChapters Next