• Published 8th Nov 2012
  • 5,740 Views, 1,311 Comments

AppleDash Group Collab - DbzOrDie



Mini-fics written by AppleDash members.

  • ...
48
 1,311
 5,740

PreviousChapters Next
Bowtie (2) - HapHazred

Applejack pushed the door, the wood sliding against a carpet of papers. Each sheaf was adorned with numbers and symbols that might as well have been alien to her they were so complex. She poked her head into the room.

Past the mountains of ink-splattered calculations and over the rivers of crumpled papers, Rainbow Dash stood in front of the mirror, struggling with a garish red bowtie around her neck. She wore a vest the same colour as pale brown straw and that looked twice as itchy, a checkered shirt and hideous sewage colour skirt.

She had come a long way since having a few strange nightmares a year ago.

"Horseapples!" Rainbow exclaimed as she threw the bowtie across the room.

"Um, sugarcube?" she asked, swimming through the numbers. "You havin' a hard time with that?"

Rainbow turned and faced Applejack. "Oh. Yeah, ties suck." She pulled at her vest. "This whole get-up sucks. Eggheads look uncooler than a polar bear in the Marehave..."

"Mohave," Applejack corrected.

Rainbow bristled.

"Uh, yeah. In the Mohave desert." She looked around at the room. "Uh, sorry about the mess."

Applejack didn't know what to say. Part of her was filled with concern at the memory of Rainbow hunched over paper after paper, her mind moving faster than her already lightning-quick writing. Rainbow had never been good at math. She had never been good at physics or chemistry either. However, it turned out that when you were fast enough to go through several hundred equations in a minute, you could allow for some trial and error... and Rainbow was all about speed.

"I didn't know you took this so seriously," she said. "I just thought y'all were fussin' over nothin'."

'Seriously' was perhaps an understatement. When it wasn't about her day job with the Wonderbolts or anything Applejack-related, all she talked about were her 'theories'.

"I... Rainbow scratched her head. "I dunno any more. The dreams don't go away and I think I'm almost seeing something."

Crazy thing was, people were starting to think something of her crackpot theories.

Applejack wrapped her hands around Rainbow's waist. "Them professors from Switzerland seem to think you've got somethin' worth sayin'."

"Y-yeah," Rainbow muttered. "Because everypony takes me seriously when I talk about things like..."

Applejack leaned down to kiss Rainbow. Concerns aside... there was nothing that wasn't impressive about Rainbow balancing sports and her new 'hobby'. Even if it was nothing like the Rainbow she had found in highschool.

"You've worked real hard to prove what you're thinkin' now, right?" Applejack smiled. "You'll be fine."

Rainbow frowned. "...sure, right." She looked down at her ugly vest. "I just hope that this disguise works. I figure that if I look like a nerd, they'll listen to me more."

Applejack raised her eyebrow. "Yeah, 'bout that..."

"I based it off Twilight and then amped it up to eleven! Looks convincing, right?"

"It looks like somethin', that's for sure."

"I just can't get the bowtie right."

"I reckon' y'all don't need it."

"But Twilight wears a bow-tie."

"Twilight ain't you, sugarcube," Applejack replied. "Like I said, you've worked real, real hard to come up with your theories about gravity an' other... um..."

"I dunno what to call them either. 'Universe' sounds super lame." She shrugged. "I call it Earth Awesome 2."

"Earth Awesome 2?"

"Yeah. Because I'm on it, I think, so it's definitely awesome. It also looks like Earth, so... yeah. But it's only number two because on this one, I get to be with you."

Applejack smiled. "Ain't there an Applejack like me in Earth Awesome 2?" she asked, her hands running up Rainbow's lower back.

"No," Rainbow said, lowering her hands towards Applejack's and bringing them up to her chest. "I can tell the difference. And it's not just the hooves."

Applejack rested her head against Rainbow. The two were quiet for a moment.

"Speaking of hooves," Applejack said after a while, "Y'all can't go to an important science conference wearin' horseshoes tied 'round your feet."

"Huh?"

PreviousChapters Next