• Published 8th Nov 2012
  • 5,749 Views, 1,311 Comments

AppleDash Group Collab - DbzOrDie



Mini-fics written by AppleDash members.

  • ...
48
 1,311
 5,749

PreviousChapters Next
Scream - TwilightUCrazy

Rainbow's ears pricked from her slumber as her wife's ear-splitting scream echoed through the house.

Applejack's heavy-thudding hoofsteps trampled against wood as she charged down the stairs leading up to the second floor of her home.

"Where is she?! Where's-"

"SHHHHHH!" Rainbow shushed harshly, trying hard not to move too much. "Would you keep it down? Are you trying to wake up everypony in the house... if you haven't already?"

Applejack seemed taken aback by Rainbow's reaction.

With a sigh, "papa" slowly unfurled a wing, and revealed the tiny Sunshine Delight snoozing contentedly on her chest, much to Applejack's visible relief. She was cradled safely in her wife's powerful and protective wings, free from harm. Somehow she had remained asleep despite her birth mother's racket just moments before. She stirred at the noise of hoofsteps, then settled back into an easy warm milk-induced slumber again.

"See? Safe and sound," Rainbow reassured her.

With the softest shaky steps she could manage, Applejack tip-hoofed gently to the side of the couch her mate had taken to nesting upon, and a bashful smile bloomed on her face.

"How long ya been up?" Applejack asked, referencing the late hour. Or, perhaps it was early by then.

"Couldn't tell ya. Probably a couple hours. Not really tired enough to sleep anyway." She paused. "What're you doing up? Shouldn't you be sleeping? You did kinda just push another pony out of you a few hours ago," she said with a grin.

"Well... A-Ah woke up and Ah didn't hear Sunshine breathin'. Then Ah went to 'er room and she weren't in 'er crib and Ah thought maybe she'd gotten out and-"

"Shhh..." Rainbow consoled her wife much more gently the second time around. Her wing settled again around her daughter, just below Sunshine's head in order to give Applejack sight of her.

It was enough to settle her down.

Applejack leaned over, biting her lower lip to try and suppress a grin, but the giggle escaped her anyway. "Yer gonna make such a perfect daddy," she cooed playfully.

Rainbow smirked. "Yeah, well..." She didn't have a clever quip to offer. Her attention was too focused on her little filly.

Applejack leaned in to kiss her cheek.

"She does take after you y'know," Rainbow finally said.

"Hm?"

"Did you see how she tried to bite my tail while we were leaving the hospital?" she finally rotated her magenta gaze over to meet Applejack's emerald.

Applejack smirked. "Get outta town."

"I'm serious!" Rainbow protested softly in a humorous tone. "And she didn't just try to grab on either! No, she bit at my tail! I heard gums making contact! She wanted a piece of me!"

Applejack snorted a soft laugh, and Rainbow managed to suppress her chuckling, lest she disturb the resting foal.

As the mirth subsided, Rainbow's eyes wandered back to her sleeping bundle of joy, and let one of her hooves stroke softly through that sunrise-colored mane of hers. She let out a deep sigh, and leaned forward to kiss her daughter on the forehead. "I think I'm in love all over again..." she muttered happily.

Applejack smiled and snuggled her muzzle underneath her wife's chin.

There, for awhile, there was nothing to be heard but two mares and their foal, breathing in the peace of the evening, with only the stars and the moon peering in through the window to bear witness to the newly-born family. Crickets chirped somewhere off in the distance, but faded into the background noise of a soft breeze stirring the house and causing the old home to creak.

"I want another one."

Applejack had herself a double-take at Rainbow's sudden declaration.

"I mean it." Rainbow turned to her with a serious smile. "I want another one."

Applejack frowned. "Rainbow..."

"I'm serious, Applejack. This is like the most awesome thing in the world to me right now. I'm just laying here watching my foal sleep on my chest, while my wife has an episode, wondering where her baby went."

Applejack made a face. "It was not an episode."

Rainbow grinned. "Totally was."

The orange mare next to her sighed and shook her head.

"Applejack..." Rainbow said again, "seriously, tell me this isn't the most incredible thing ever."

Applejack betrayed the slightest of smiles, but couldn't help keeping a skeptical expression about her.

Rainbow sighed. "Look, I know I said I only ever wanted to have one, but... I'm totally on board with this right now. I mean, I don't think I've ever been this happy in my whole life. I mean, the hay with joining the Wonderbolts. This is it!"

Applejack decided it was her turn to shush her wife, and Rainbow softened her tone.

It took her awhile, sitting, thinking, pondering Rainbow's words, how sincere and genuine they seemed; those eyes of hers full of excitement and happiness, looking forward to a future that hadn't even peeked over the horizon yet.

The hour didn't allow for clear thinking and conversation. It could resume in the morning.

"Tell ya what," Applejack smiled warmly, "we can have us another foal; this time though, yer gonna be the one doin' the carryin'."

Rainbow rolled her eyes.

"Oh, yeah right. Sure. Like you're going to let me carry a foal in my gut. Me, Miss Daredevil Supreme!"

"Fair point." Applejack smiled and sighed, nuzzling her wife's neck again. "Think we could talk about it later though ā€“ say, in a couple years?"

Rainbow smiled and nuzzled along over Applejack's forehead and stroked her chin over her golden mane. "I'll hold you to it."

Then the whimpering of Sunshine Delight stirring from her sleep broke the line of conversation. A soft wail emerged from "daddy's" coat as she awoke.

Rainbow smiled. "Alright, alright, I know you're hungry. Mommy's here," she said with a smile, picking the little foal up in her hooves and passing her off to Applejack.

Rainbow cleared a space on the couch while Applejack made herself comfortable. She settled in behind her wife and daughter, and enveloped both in her protective, feathery embrace.

"Remember," she said softly into Applejack's ear.

That earned her a look from the nursing mare.

"Two years," Rainbow winked.

Applejack smiled and met Rainbow's lips with her own in a chaste kiss that spoke volumes more about love than any compilation of poems or novels could ever hope to express.

"Ah promise."

PreviousChapters Next