• Published 7th Nov 2012
  • 1,456 Views, 42 Comments

The Voice of Music - Tavi n Scratch



Cursed with silence and a cruel reflection, music is Vinyl's only escape.

  • ...
6
 42
 1,456

5: Silence at the Gala

The music was beautiful. Vinyl may have been a DJ, but that didn’t mean she couldn’t appreciate classical music, in fact she quite enjoyed it. The harmonies and melodies that a computer could not do justice always appealed to her. She sat in a chair and let her mind wander as a multitude of ponies bustled about the Gala.

She had survived the eight months and now she was here. Tonight she had the opportunity to fix her life and get rid of the demon that had tortured her for as long as she could remember. All she needed to do was to listen for the silence, even if she had no idea what that meant. She remained in the chair, calmly listening to the music, waiting for a sign of some sort sign.

“Ugh, what’s taking so long?” An all too familiar voice echoes in her head. “Why don’t you get off your lazy rump and look around.”

“I don’t see you helping any. Besides, I have no idea what to even look for.”

“Bah, just get on it.” Vinyl felt the voice leave, and returned her focus to the Gala. She wished she could find something to do other than sit and wait, but Twilight was with the Princess and Dash was with the Wonderbolts. To her knowledge Pinkie Pie was free so she decided to go find her hyper friend.

The palace was full of all kinds of ponies, from snooty rich folk to esteemed artists, Vinyl felt a bit out of place. A few of them tried to strike up a conversation with Vinyl, but she just waved them off as she passively searched for Pinkie. Her mind wandered again, she wondered what it would be like once she was able to speak. She’d be able to communicate normally for once, able to talk to her friends. Able to thank them.

In her aloof state, Vinyl nearly walked into a wall. She stopped suddenly stopped inches in front of it. When she stopped she heard something, or rather didn’t. The entire place was silent. Vinyl turned around to see that nothing had changed, she just couldn’t hear anything. The entire Gala had fallen silent.

Then Vinyl heard the most breathtaking sound ever, which she was able to identify it as the rich sound of a cello. The somber melody made Vinyl feel like crying. She instantly knew that she had to find the source of the music.

Vinyl listened hard to determine the origin and figured it was coming from somewhere upstairs. Vinyl galloped up the steps, a sense of urgency had suddenly overtaken her. The sound grew louder and the song more beautiful. She wandered through the halls of the castle until she came upon a simple wooden door.

From behind the door came a melodious tune that awoke something in Vinyl, making her want to cry and laugh. She went to open the door but something stopped her, a sudden sense of apprehension washed over her, could it really be this simple. The piece began to swell to an amazing crescendo that compelled Vinyl to open the door.

In the room sat a mare sitting with her cello, slowly pulling her bow across the strings, tears streamed down her face. Her mane was jet black and her coat light grey, and she seemed oddly familiar, as if Vinyl had met her before. Her eyes were closed and she continued to play, not noticing Vinyl’s arrival. Vinyl sat down, calmly taking in the music.

After some time, the music slowed to a stop. Although she knew she wouldn’t be heard, Vinyl felt a strong urge to speak.

“That was beautiful,” Vinyl’s voice echoed around the small marble room.

The mare jumped a little, then a look of puzzlement appeared on her face, “You can hear me?”

Now it was Vinyl’s turn to be confused, “You can hear me?” The two stood there, bewildered looks on each of their faces.

The other mare was the first to speak, “Since I was born my music has been silent, and now I can hear it, I don’t get it.”

Vinyl spoke up, “ Well ever since I was born I’ve been unable to speak, but now, well, I’m talking to you.”

They were both stunned by the development, such a huge change in their lives. “Well, I’m Octavia.”

“My name’s Vinyl, Vinyl Scratch.” It was an odd experience, being able to say her own name.

“Have you any idea what all of this means?” Octavia sounded confused. The two of them spent a while discussing, trying to understand what was going on.

“Finally.” The whisper made Vinyl shiver. She turned to see Silere standing there, “Look we both know I hate you, but thanks for getting me out.” She faded into mist.

“You okay Vinyl?”

“Did you see that,” the look on Octavia’s face confirmed she hadn’t. “Oh well, it’s not really important anymore.” It’s hard to believe she’s gone. “So does this mean, we’re free?”

“It would seem so.”

“In that case, could you do me a favor.” Vinyl had an idea for some fun she could have with her newfound speech.



Octavia walked up to the pony with a rainbow mane, “Excuse me, Miss Dash, I have a friend that asked me to introduce her to you.”

“Okay, where is she?” Octavia stepped aside to reveal a smiling Vinyl, “Oh, I already know her, in fact she’s one of my best friends.”

“Hey Dash.” Vinyl’s words visibly shocked Rainbow Dash. However, she quickly recovered, a grin already appearing on her face.

“Well how are you, Miss Scratch?”

“I’m quite alright, thank you.”

She was finally able to say it.

Thank you.