• Published 7th Nov 2012
  • 10,493 Views, 160 Comments

Remember me? - Sugar Moon



Spitfire visits ponyville only to find the little mare she had a crush on all those years ago

  • ...
19
 160
 10,493

Chapter Two

She's here again. Thought a purple filly. That's the forty-third day in a row and two hundred and fifty-seventh day in total. She must love books almost as much as me! With exuberant glee the industrious little egghead took out her 'research journal' and began to write with her magic quill.

Dear research journal,

She's here again. This marks the forty-third consecutive day she has attended the library. More research may be necessary but I feel confident to assume that she is a fellow bibliophile. Of course this can be confirmed once verbal contact has been initiated.

Looking up from her journal she looked towards the desk across from her, where there sat a golden filly with a fiery mane and warm honey coloured eyes. Her own violet eyes followed the contours of the golden filly like a raft down a river, gently and almost lazily, till she arrived at the golden filly's flank. Blushing so hard she was afraid that the residual heat of her cheeks could set fire to the library. She returned to her journal.

She still hasn't received her cutie mark either. This could be a possible conversation starter or “ice-breaker” as noted in chapter 12 page 247 of “befriending ponies for fun and friendship.” Tangentially connected to this, my other research project has reached a difficult phase. After checking every medical textbook Ms Singer has in the library I was unable to find any that matched my curious symptoms that I have been exhibiting, Diluted pupils rule out the pony pox and the quickening of the pulse rules out lupus. When I mentioned my distress to Jade.. I mean Ms Singer she merely giggled and asked if any outside stimuli could be responsible. Twilight frowned as she recalled the conversation.Well she her actual words were “Does it only happen when you look at a certain special somepony?” For some reason her words made me think of the Golden filly I've been thinking of befriending. At that my symptoms returned only in a muted way with a strange blush across my cheeks. After this display of biological rebellion on my bodies part Ms Singer just laughed all the more. I managed to calm her down and she explained that I have a crush. Twilight snorted derisively. I am dismissing this as sheer nonsense as I am a scientist and scientists do not get crushes. Ughhh... no don't write that...or that. Stupid psyhic quill. The minute I can I'm getting an assistant so this kind of thing never happens, so there. Hmmm now what was I mentally dictating... no don't write that either....

Popping the enchantment on her quill with a lance over purple magic she grumbled silently and returned to her research with the quill firmly gripped in her aura.

Despite the lunacy of her conclusions, Ms Singer did help identify what was causing me those symptoms. It seems that I will have to bump up my friendship experiment in the hopes that prolonged contact with her Twilight unknowingly grinned will alleviate the symptoms. I'll solve this crush problem once and for all. Not that I have a crush. That's silly but I'd be a poor scientist to dismiss it out of hoof.

Putting her quill down Twilight began looking up, resolved to finally speak to the golden filly she had been observing.Not in a voyeuristic way you understand, in a scientific way. and the blood pounded in her ears in a cacophony. Her heart felt as if it might just burst out of her chest to get to her first.

But when she looked up that fiery maned filly wasn't there.

Breathing out a breath she did not know she was holding in, Twilight thought dejectedly

There's always tomorrow


Twelve years later. Ponyville.

A knock rang through Twilights library. She started towards the door before she remembered what happened earlier when she answered it. Deciding to play it safe she called out “Come on in. We're open.”

The door opened as a golden maned pegasus walked in.

Twilight sat still entranced by the book she was reading while Spitfire was entranced by another reason.

No way. It can't be.

Sitting no more than 5 metres in front of her was that little purple unicorn she had a crush on all those years ago.

Well she's filled out a little since then. And in all the right places.

Standing there in silence Spitfire didn't know what to do. Here was the pony her filly-hood dreams were filled with, the pony that unwittingly was the reason Spitfire pushed herself so far. It was all to impress one little unicorn. And she was right here.

“Can I help you?” Twilight asked without looking up.

Realising that she was standing there gawking like a adolescent at a magic show she rushed over to the nearest shelf and grabbed a book.

“Oh I'm fine Hun. Just wanted to look around and see if there was a good book.” Spitfire said slightly nervous.

Huffing a quiet assent Twilight continued to focus on her book. She was going to finish it if it was the last thing she did. Interruptions be damned.

Releasing a breath she didn't know she was holding Spitfire looked down at the book she had picked up.

Kamare sutra? Damn you sexy subconscious. Embarrassed she returned the book to pick up another to pretend to peruse.

Ok think girl. The filly you had a crush on is literally within reach. What do you wanna do about it?

A few interesting ideas popped into her head. A few even dash would have thought was physically impossible at such speeds. Besides who would have a banjo anyway.

Bad Spitfire. Can't do that. Just strike up a conversation. Talk about something. Maybe compliment her mane or something. You're the Captain of the Wonderbolts. She's bound to be impressed. It's the most impressive thing anypony can be besides maybe related to the princesses or something. Maybe an element of Harmony but come on there's no chance of that happening.

Clearing her throat she began to speak. “Hey Hun? You couldn't give me a hoof here could ya?” shooting the most cocky grin she could at the unicorn.

Twilight a little peeved at not being able to return to her reading started answering as she he looked up.

“Yes can I...” Twilight's eyes meet Spitfires. That look almost turned Spitfires knees to butter. But she saw something flash across Twilight's eyes. Recognition. At that her smug smile came more naturally. At she felt at ease.

“..help you?” Twilight finished a bit awkwardly.

“I hope so. I'm looking for a book on” Spitfires eyes darted around for some inspiration. She saw the book Twilight was reading. “ romance. I'm kind of a sucker for a sappy story.”

“Oh? Well you're in the right section. Most of our romance stories are there. Even the more risqué ones.”

“Risky? Why are they banned for being too saucy or something?” Spitfire said.

“No well kinda. It doesn't matter. I'm being an egghead again.” A nervous chuckle escaped her lips.

“It's ok. Kinda cute actually.” Twilight blushed. “ So what would you recommend?”

Clearing her throat to compose herself Twilight said “Well we have any book you could imagine really. I'm partial to the long lost love stories myself.” Spitfire could have swore Twilights blush deepened at that. “You know the stories where two ponies find each other after so many years apart only to fall head over hooves in love.”

“Yeah they sound great any of those?” Spitfire said a bit quickly. The irony of Twilights words was not lost on her.

“Hmm I think there is a few with that premise around here somewhere.” Twilight looked through the shelf trying to find the appropriate book. “No. Fluttershy must have them. I'll need to ask spike to get them back.”

“Spike?”

“Oh he’s my number one assistant. He usually so diligent but apparently the wonderbolts are here so that’s where he went. He hasn't got a ticket so I have no idea how he thinks he's going to get in. Honestly I think he was still upset that he didn't get to see them in Cloudsdale with me.”

Spitfires brow furrowed in confusion. Had this pony been coming to here shows all these years and she had never noticed? How is that possible? I'd never forget a face that gorgeous. Also she is a freaking unicorn. Wait a minute, what does she mean the Wonderbolts are apparently coming here?

“Question. How did you get to Cloudsdale. You're a unicorn.” Spitfire asked.

“Oh well I performed a cloud walking spell. Pretty neat huh?” Twilight said happily.

A cloud walking spell? Spitfire didn't even know it was possible.

“Most definitely Hun. Your friend can't get a ticket?If you like I can give you guys a few we have spare. Least I can do for such a big wonderbolts fan.” Smooth Spitty, she is going to be eating out of your hoof with moves like that. She thought.

Twilights hooves clapped in delight. “Thank you so much. He'll be delighted. So you must work for the Wonderbolts right? That must be pretty cool.”

“Yeah its pretty cool.” Spitfire said utterly confused. Does she seriously not know who I am? That I'm the head honcho of the Wonderbolts? In a split second an idea came to Spitfire. How many of her team mates lamented the fact that beautiful mares threw themselves at their hooves simply of because who they were? Ok none but Spitfire thought it could be a problem. I want to get her by being me, not by the fancy rank. This is perfect.

“So what do you do exactly? Are you a roadie?” Twilight asked mildly curious.

“Well..” Spitfire said trying to think of something. This lying business was going to be trickier than she thought. Keep it simple stupid. Think, think. Try to make what you really do sound vague. “..I'm an odd job pony.” She finished, silently thanking Luna for that bolt of inspiration.

“I just do what needs doing Hun. Everything from rounding up the stars in the morning to working out all the flight patterns for the routines and everything in between.” It wasn't exactly a lie. She did do all of that. It was what the Captain did after all. Well that and a few other things.

Twilight's eyes twinkled in mild happiness.

“You do all the math then?” She asked.

“Uh yeah.” Spitfire fire said a little surprised at the ferocity in Twilights gaze. “You have to know it if you want to plan all those complex flight routines.”

“Oooohhhh. Finally somepony who knows the value of mathematics. My friend Rainbow Dash just doesn't see the point of working out the geometry of all her tricks and routines and just prefers to wing it.”

“Best young flyer Rainbow Dash can't count?” Spitfire near shouted in surprise.

“Of course she can count.” Twilight rolled her eyes. “she just prefers to wing it and I quote 'being awesome by myself is more awesome than your facts and figures egghead. That's what the Wonderbolts want.'” Twilight lifted down her hooves after air-quoting her friend.

“Oh. Well that's silly. Even I know that the wonderbolts need to know the ins and outs of flying. Heck how would they work so well in sync with each other without it.?” Spitfire asked rhetorically.

Unfortunately Spitfire didn't better than to not ask Twilight Rhetorical questions.

“Actually I've done some interesting research into the flight instinct of pegasi and their magic and my research suggests...” Twilight droned on in full lecture mode, catching Spitfire off guard.

Wow she really likes to ramble. Spitfire thought standing stock still. Kinda cute actually. I wonder what would happen if I booped her on the nose? I bet it'd scrunch up in the most adorable... and you've finally lost it. Bad Spitty. Ok think, you like her. What would Soarin do? Ask her out. Wait what was that part she was saying about geosynchronous orbit? Never-mind, ask her out you doofus.

“Will you go to dinner with me?” Spitfire blurted out, cutting Twilight off mid-stride in lecture.

“Um what?” Twilight asked slightly confused.

Is she really that naive? Celestia that's adorkable.

“Will you go out to dinner with me?” Spitfire repeated. “ I know you just met me but I'd like to treat you to dinner Hun.”

“I don't even know your name” Twilight said slightly flustered.

“It's Spits” she replied a little hastily. Thanks again Luna. Could have gave the game away there.she silently thanked for the quick thinking.

“Spits” Twilight said as if testing it out on her tongue. “Well Spits I'm Twilight and I'd love to. It's the least I could do for a new friend.”

At that Spitfire's grin faltered for a second before returning wider than ever.

“Great” she said. She is that naïve. Well it's a good start and I always accept a challenge. “So where's good to eat around here Twilight?”

Spitfire was a little embarrassed asking since it was her idea but it didn't matter. She finally knew the name of that little purple filly she had a crush on all those years ago. And apparently still did.

And she was taking her to dinner.

Twilight. Sounds awfully familiar. Ah who cares, probably isn't important. But what is important is how to impress this little honey.

“Hmm” Twilight mumbled, tapping her chin in thought. “I know just the place.”

Author's Note:

Wow that took me a long time. I finally when back re-cut the ending of the first chapter and continued from there from scratch. Honestly I'm a little worried. This story is by far the single most popular story I've written so naturally I'm a little hesitant in continuing/re-writing it. I finally got the guts thanks to a commentator (see comments really are important and I love every single one.) and just said to hell with it really and gave it another shot. I have maybe half of the next chapter written and that might be it for this story. Another two tops but for now this will be it. We'll see how well this chapter is liked and if there is a call for it and if I can actually manage to come up with some decent writing talent I'll finish it. I guess we'll see.

Also lets see who spots the MLP comic reference.