• Published 7th Nov 2012
  • 44,040 Views, 2,825 Comments

Foal Necromancer - Kytranis



A designated villain finds himself in equestria and his paranoia runs rampent, scaring the locals.

  • ...
100
 2,825
 44,040

Naming Party

If I had told myself of one week ago that I would end up in an opulent waiting chamber sitting between a soft pink and a dark blue alicorn. Both of them divine princesses, one my cousin, the other my mother, and all three of us waiting for national heroes to arrive. All to help choose out a new name as I had done a 'Public Service' in unmasking a formshifter that they had arrived to help deal with.

If I had told myself all of that. I would have assumed that I would shortly discover a much more potent version of Opium and a cache of Absinthe, then overindulge. Yet all the same here I am. Stone cold sober and still in this situation. “Nervous?” Luna asks gently.

“The last time I had a run in with 'Heroes', I was stabbed twice in the stomach, narrowly avoided numerous hostile spells, barely avoided blades of light and fire. I got a shield smashed into my face, was hurled through spacetime and then died. So all in all it was not a good day.” I tell Luna sternly and she looks a little uncomfortable.

“These girls aren't like that at all. Don't worry about it!” Cadance tells me and I'd roll my eyes if I could. “Oh! No frowning now! These are great girls and they came here to help with the changeling. But, since you did their job for them they're going to lend us a helping hoof on finding you the perfect name!” she explains clapping her hooves together in glee.

“I have no idea what you want from me, but you are hellbound and determined to get it.” I note and she pets me on the head gently.

“Oh come on now! They wouldn't hurt you even if we ordered them to.” Cadance tells me and I look up at her suspiciously.

“Oddly specific example...” I mutter to myself and Luna gives me a slight cuff in the back of the head with her wing. I look up at her in shock. This is the first hint of violence from her. Still if that's how she wants to play...

“You really need to relax.” Luna tells me sternly.

“This is a change of pace...” I mutter in surprise and her expression softens and she nuzzles me... without being able to stop myself I lean into it for a moment before pulling away.

“These girls have saved Equestria time and again. They have never asked for anything in return and have gone back to civilian lives.” She tells me and since I can't blink in confusion I tilt my head. “Applejack is a farmer, Pinkie Pie is a baker, Rarity is a tailor, Fluttershy is a veterinarian, Rainbow Dash monitors the weather around Ponyville and Twilight Sparkle has been the acting librarian.” Luna lists off and I glance away in thought.

“If this land is so peaceful than why would those six be called to action time and again?” I ask honestly curious. While the people have been welcoming I was attacked by a wendigo while within spitting distance of the castle. The changeling was... entertaining to put it mildly. The laughing spirit... I really need to go back and take a look at where it was.

“No world is perfect child. There are always dangers.” Luna tells me and I get the feeling that she's being patronizing.

“Yes there are always dangers, but you are the one who insists that I'm perfectly safe and I've already brawled a wendigo, uncovered a murder and confronted the killer.” I say wryly. “And I'm fairly certain I've been in this world less then three days so far.” I tell her flatly and she gives me an enigmatic smile.

“...and now I'm getting scared.” I note with that look on her face. “Stop that...” I say leaning away. I hear hoof falls coming closer from the hallway and sigh. “Well I guess it's too late to cut and run...” I mutter.

“Yes I'd catch you halfway to the window.” Luna remarks and I glance up at her. Before I can form a thought the door opens, and I suddenly have a bright pink pony with blue eyes right in my face and smiling so wide as to split hers.

“Oh wow you're so cute! It's really nice to meet you my name is Pinkie Pie!” she says at warp speed before turning and taking a huge breath. “So you need a new name right? I'd love to help you with that! Do you have any ideas yourself?!” she asks me and my jaw drops as I try to sort out what she just said.

“Uhm... nice to meet you too...” I say leaning back uncertainly. “How... did you move that fast? It's at least thirty yards from here to the door...” I ask trying to stall for time and she looks back and forth from the door to me.

“I just did! So what are we going to call you Nameless McNoName?” she asks me and I'm taken aback again.

“That'll work.” I tell her quickly and she giggles.

“No silly! That's a nickname! So come on Mr. McNoName! I'll introduce you to the others!” she says and before I can get a word in edgewise she grabs me by the hoof and drags me to a group of others. She stops when I'm face to face with an orange pony with blond hair, green eyes and a large hat. “This is Applejack her family grows all the best apples in Equestria!” Pinkie announces and I'd blink if I had use of my eyes or eyelids.

“A pleasure.” I say courteously. No point making enemies.

“Nice to meet ya partner.” she says holding out a hoof and I take it and she shakes it vigorously.

“And heeeere's Rainbow Dash! She's the fastest flier you'll ever meet!” she cheers holding me up so I'm facing a pale blue pegasus with red eyes and a rainbow patterned mane and tail.

“Hey tiny! You look like you got roughed up!” she remarks and I try to shrug.

“Well... things just happen.” I remark casually.

“Heh, tough little guy ain't ya?” she asks before Pinkie lowers me in front of a white unicorn with a fancy purple mane and dark blue eyes.

“This is Rarity! She makes the most beautiful clothes imaginable!” Pinkie says excitedly, and I figure since this is a refined looking pony to greet her in a more refined manner.

“Charmed.” I say with a slight bow, crossing my right foreleg in front of my chest as I do so.

“Well aren't we the gentlecolt?” she says with an appreciative tone, and she bows slightly in return. Pinkie picks me up and turns me around so that I'm facing a purple unicorn with a dark purple mane that has a pink streak in it and purple eyes.

“This is Twilight! She's so good with magic she can put an angry Ursa Minor to sleep!” Pinkie announces and Twilight blushes a little.

“That must have taken some work.” I say holding out my hoof and she shakes it gently.

“It did. Still it's good to test your limits.” she says with a smile and glances behind herself. A soft yellow pegasus with long flowing pink hair and blue-green eyes steps out to face me. “And this is Fluttershy.”

“Hello.” I say offering out my hoof. I was afraid of these ponies? These mares don't look like they could fight their way out of a one room shack.

“It's nice to meet you...” Fluttershy says so quietly I can only just catch it.

“So... none of you are upset I took away your reason for coming?” I ask sounding more nervous than I am. These girls are just too innocent. Too unbloodied to be a threat.

“Is something wrong?” Fluttershy asks and I back up a little bit and shake my head.

“Just a little nervous in groups...” I say trailing off, and then Pinkie giggles. A shiver runs down my soul...

“Oh you don't have to worry at all! We're here to help you play the guessing game called find a Name!” Pinkie half sings grabbing me over the shoulder and balancing backwards. So here I am leaning backwards beside a bright pink pony who's apparently starting to launch into a song... wierdest day ever.

“Hold it!” I half shout quickly getting a hoof in her mouth to forestall the music. “I'm sure you have a lovely singing voice, but does something like this really call for musical accompaniment?” I ask her seriously.

“Aww... don't like music?” Pinkie asks, all sympathy.

“More... I was attacked by a type of Music based Magic a few times. They carry illusions well, and it was one of the more memorable times I had to use a phylactery.” I remark glancing around to gauge the reaction... nothing... alright back away slowly... gain some distance and then go for the window. Let's not have a repeat of that time with Duke Gerald.

“Oh! Don't you worry now, the only songs in Equestria are happy ones!” Pinkie half shouts as she picks me up into a massive and tight hug. It takes an effort to catch my breath again when she finally lets go. I take a couple steps back for breathing room.

“Wow... just what the hay happened to you?” Rainbow asks me and I let out a huff.

“The cliff notes alone would have you here for a week.” I tell her flatly and she lowers herself to my level and is... I guess you could call it eye to eye.

“Hm... Normally I'd say yea right to that but...” she begins before pacing around me. It takes a measure of will not to kick her in the head... “Well no offence dude, but you look like you went through one of those griffon meat grinder things.” she tells me.

“Rainbow Dash! Do not be rude. Aside from his eye problems he looks like a perfectly charming little colt!” Rarity protests and I have to fight off a grin. I have no idea what this race finds attractive, but it is good to know I am.

“Get in a little closer Rarity. He's covered in scars. They just blend in with the fur.” Rainbow says sounding somber and Pinkie looks like she's shaking. Is her puffy hair straightening?

“Uhm... is her hair deflating?” I ask completely confused at what I'm seeing.

“Oh no! Pinkie that nightmare was just a nightmare! A bad dream and nothing else.” Rainbow says quickly and she's all but teleported to Pinkie's side and is holding her gently.

“I know Dashie but... if all those little ruffles in his fur are scars then... this was even worse!” she says with a look and tone of abject horror.

“They didn't happen all at once you know. Most were years apart. Also I can normally control how much things hurt. So it wasn't that bad.” I say honestly and she perks up a little.

“Really?” she asks and I nod. Why am I comforting this mare? “Okay then!” she exclaims and her hair is suddenly back in its upright position and she's bouncing on the spot. “Right! Now we need some names for you... oh I know! Shining Hope! Wait, Spring Wind! Oh even better, Sunny Smiles!” she blurts out quickly and my jaw drops.

“Uhm... no thank you...” I say a little confused. How do any of those names suit me in the slightest?

“Uhm... just a suggestion but... maybe if we knew a little more about you it would be easier...” Fluttershy volunteers, she sounds terrified to do so.

“Alright... what do you want to know?” I ask a little warily as I'm surrounded... perhaps I should rethink things... I sit down to present a smaller and more friendly profile but I keep my legs bent in such a way that if there's an attack I can dodge.

“Where do ya'll come from partner?” Applejack asks and I sigh.

“Well I was born in Tir'Aegwin. In the Gerabald Barony. A swamp farm village called Three Bends. I'm also willing to bet that you have no idea what I'm talking about.” I say dryly then hear a scribbling sound. I turn and see Twilight eagerly taking notes. “Or maybe you do...”

“Princess Celestia gave us a quick briefing. About you being a human from another world that took a form of the type of pony you'd be here. In other words an alicorn colt. It's fascinating really the other contexts for magic you've developed in a more hostile reality, and how you've managed to basically ascend despite massive adversity, and survive what I've been told is several times the life expectancy of your species and...” Twilight tells me going faster and faster until there's suddenly a round pastry with a hole in it in her mouth. She looks towards Pinkie who is now giggling... what is going on?

“Twilight! You have to let him answer first!” She says around her giggles and I shrug.

“Actually she was just saying how interesting things are... No one's asked me a question since Applejack did.” I mutter to myself but the room clearly catches it as Cadance begins tittering.

“Oh right before I get distracted again...” Twilight says before rushing over and hugging Cadance. “It's so good to see you again!” She announces and I look back wondering what's going on.

“Twilight's brother Shining Armour is Cadance's husband.” Applejack tells me and I nod. Alright so they're sisters in law who act like blood siblings. That's sweet. I guess.

They exchange pleasantries for a few moments before Twilight comes back with a smile. Cadance is also paying much more attention now. This could be bad.

“Alright then, since I have everyone's attention and you want to know a few things about me... I'm one hundred and seventy four years old. I've been a wanted criminal for a hundred and fifty years with an ever increasing, and ludicrously large bounty over my head. I am a natural born mage with a sliver of death magic in my soul that I have nurtured into a fortress of power. I have felt the sting of death itself nearly a hundred times, yet refuse to die. I have conquered armies and torn down castles. I have cracked open the secrets of life and death, and walk in two worlds simultaneously...” I start listing off before catching the expressions. Eager and entertained on some, and pity and horror on others.

“That's freaking awesome!” Rainbow announces and I leap back a bit in surprise.

“What?! No, that's scary and you know it!” I protest pointing at her.

“Naw, that's awesome!” Rainbow says flippantly.

“Anyways partner, we're here to help ya'll find a name.” Applejack says interrupting Rainbow and I sigh. “Somethin' wrong?”

“I've been without a name for so long that I really don't want one.” I say a little nervously.

“Oh come now! It's simply gauche not to have a name not to name to give when introducing yourself.” Rarity admonishes me and I sigh again. “Now don't be dejected little dear. This is a good thing.” she tells me and I have to fight back another sigh.

“Hmm... so how 'bout... Spirit Seeker? It makes sense don't it?” Applejack suggests and... it's not bad but...

“No.” I say softly.

“Then... maybe...” Twilight begins pulling out a thick tome and flitting through it. “Seele Augen? Or... Quaesitor Anima. Maybe... Insani Mors?” She suggests and my eyebrows go up.

“I have no idea what languages those are.” I say incredulously. “Also I'm fairly certain the Insani part was an insult of some kind.”

“Nec-Romancer!” Cadance half shouts. I turn to glare at her. The impact is lost as I'm trying to do it with a headband. “Wait! Sweet Dreams, after all I bet Velvet had some about you! Oh! Even better Silent Soul!”

“Silent? Since when the hell have I been silent?” I demand shocked at the slew of bad ideas.

“Charming Shadow?” she then offers and I think.

“Not too bad...” I mutter but it's unfortunately overheard.

“Alright then we've got a possible!” Twilight announces and I turn in time to see her writing it down. “Also for more exotic names there's Filius Nox, Nova Vita, Mortis Dominus, Umbra Vita...” Twilight lists off before seeing my attempt to glare. “Dark Hope then?”

“Maybe?” I say before deciding to put a bit of a stop to the more annoying ideas. “Also can we keep them in a language I understand?”

“So is Momma's Boy in?” Rainbow asks, and I flinch away then stare at her in horror. Most everyone is trying to avoid breaking out in laughter.

“Oh hell no!” I protest and that breaks the tide and the room descends into laughter for a minute. I huff in annoyance before chuckling with them a bit. It's infectious.

“Alright. Basic rules then. A simple name to be used in public and a more noble name to be used with titles. The simple name is something that will be something a stallion would not be embarrassed to have. The noble name has to be representative.” Luna instructs and I take a breath. Hopefully that will keep things under control.

“So Charming Shadow and Dark Hope are acceptable... we should have a few more to chose from.” Twilight remarks... “But we need a few names for the Noble titles to be tacked on to...”

“Nyx? That sounds adorable!” Pinkie suggests.

“That sounds like a girl's name.” I reply. “Is it really so bad that I don't have a name?” I ask and there's nodding. “Fine, but don't draw too much attention to my being a necromancer. If my enemies find their way here than pointing a giant sign towards me is a good way to use my phylactery again.” I remark and there's a slight lull in noise.

“Hmm... that makes this a tall order.” Twilight says mostly to herself.

“Uhm... I have an idea...” Fluttershy says quietly and I turn to her. She's just... too frail to ignore. I feel like I'm stepping on eggshells and I'll kill someone if one of them breaks. “Uhm... if it's not too much though.”

“Go ahead. I'm listening.” I tell her gently. Again eggshells.

“Well... what if it was something that could also be a nice thing? Or had more than one meaning?” she asks and I nod. It's a good idea. So long as she doesn't try anything too cutesy with it.

“Well maybe... Night Shade?” She suggests and my eyebrows go up and I bring a hoof to my mouth to think. A lot of plants are in the Nightshade family some are food, some are medicinal, some are spices and some are just outright lethal.

“This is a good idea...” I remark as my mind turns to other aspects of the name. Luna a goddess of the Night has adopted me. Shade can represent shadows, as well as be another word for a ghost.

“We got a winner! Good idea Fluttershy!” Rainbow announces. “Oh right we still need a fancy schmancy noble name for you as well.” she says before sitting down. “I can't think of nothin.”

“Well we need something that sticks to the memory and is fairly unique... Wait! Where did I put that?” Twilight asked and she raced to the door and started pulling tomes out of a pair of saddlebags. “Ah here we go... uhm...” she said flipping through the pages. “How about Thanatos?” she offered and I could not stop myself from slapping my forehead. Which hurts quite a bit when you only have hooves.

“He rejected that before you even arrived Twilight.” Luna says gently.

“Can we just stop already? I hate being the centre of attention, it usually leads to stabbing.” I remark before slapping myself in the forehead for letting that slip. The room goes quiet. Luna sweeps over and I'm pulled up into a hug. She also nuzzles me gently... god damn it why does it feel so good?

“Those things don't happen here... you're going to be fine.” Luna mutters gently and I almost believe her. But...

“I've already stumbled across a murder plot, an insane spirit and came face to face with the murderer.” I remark as dryly as I can with a warm feeling rising from my stomach. Why does this feel so damn good?

“Have you been hurt in any way?” Luna asks and I shake my head. “Have you felt like you're in danger at all?” she asks and I nod. “Excuse me?”

“Well I always... I mean I can sense danger...” I say trying to justify my... caution. “The wendigo! I did wrestle a wendigo less then an hour ago.” I justify and there's a few gasps. “Alright alright. That is grasping at straws.” I admit in shame.

“You wrestled a wendigo! Awesome!” Rainbow half shouts, now she's hovering right in front of my face. She had to do some fancy flying to get behind Luna so quick.

“Uhm... thanks?” I say unsure what to do about all this.

“Still we need to get back on track. You have quite the gift for distracting us.” Luna says putting me on the floor gently. “So Night Shade for a more casual name but we also need one that goes well with a title.”

“Can't we just stop here?” I ask and Cadance quickly motions Applejack over to where she is and begins whispering to her. Applejack nods and a few moments later an aura encompasses the entire room... An aura of truth. Oh no.

“Is this really so bad?” Cadance calls out.

“Yyy....” I start to say yes but the word won't come out. “I refuse to answer.” I state quickly. “I hate truth fields.”

“I think they're fun! You can play truth or dare, and you know everypony's playing fair! Hey! That rhymed!” Pinkie cheers out and I sigh. Luna then leans down so that she's whispering in my ear.

“Do you hate me for trying to be your mother?” She asks and I wince before sighing. I don't really know myself so let's look to fate.

“No... just annoyed at times.” I say and my eyebrows shoot up in surprise. That caught me off guard. Truth auras... even if you don't know it, you say it.

“Than why are you fighting this so much?” Luna asks and... I shrug.

“A change this extreme is nightmarish. I don't remember how to live in peace. It's been too long.” I say and again surprise myself. “Is there no awkward fact that won't come out?”

“Sorry partner. All ya'll can be is honest.” Applejack says and I sigh then I get to thinking.

“So who would like to hear in graphic detail how I gouged out my own eyes with a rusted knife?” I ask with a shark like smile crossing my face.

“No!” The room shouts and I start chuckling.

“Then maybe the time I had to pull a burning spear through my own body?” I ask further and I get another shout towards the negative. At this point I'm full on laughing. “Sorry! I'm so sorry it's just hilarious that a normal day to me is a nightmare to everyone else.”

“That is a normal day to you?” Rarity asks shocked.

“Yes.” I say simply. “Granted I haven't had a normal day since coming to Equestria.” I admit. “The closest thing was when I fought the wendigo.”

“Can we focus on the names again? Please?” Fluttershy asks and I nod.

“Alright then... getting back on track I have two here that you might like. Moros, the god of impending doom. Then there's Charon the ferryman of the dead. Charon is also the name of the largest moon of the planet Pluto which is also often tied to death itself as well.” Twilight explained and the room turned to stare at her.

“I uhm... I've been studying up on alternate realities. This is about a culture called Ancient Greece on another world.” Twilight admits and my eyebrows go up.

“Exactly how often do people fall through realities?” I ask a little perturbed at how well people are taking everything. If I ran into something that fell between worlds I'd probably have run away.

“It's not an everyday thing, but most ponies know a pony who met a dimensional traveler. However they mostly come from a world different from yours.” Luna says and I nod at that. It makes sense.

“So how is such a thing so common in any way? The sheer force I needed to break dimensional barriers literally killed me!” I tell her shocked at this revelation.

“The more common travelers live in a reality that is pretty much a dimensional thoroughfare.” Twilight says. “Most of our information comes from there. It's an multidimensional crossroad really. Fascinating stuff actually. The people there have been exposed to all sorts of cultures and magic and sciences...” Twilight explains and it sounds as if she's about to go on a tangent... now guessing from what happened last time. Yep, there's the pastry. Hey... that's a Cinnamon Roll!

Wait no! Focus! Ignore the delicious treat! “So there's an alternate reality where every poor soul living there either gets garbage from somewhere else dumped on them, or they get hurled through time and space at random.” I state before eying the Cinnamon Roll that Twilight is eating. “Got any more Cinnamon Rolls?” I ask and before I know it Pinkie's shoved one in my mouth. It's warm even... wait what warmed it? Ah who cares? It's good!

“Are you done dancing around the topic?” Luna asks me and my eyebrows go up but I shake my head regardless. “Well then we best hurry up before you distract us again.” She mutters and I can't help but chuckle.

“So ideas for a more noble court name?” Luna asks quickly.

“There are three that are fairly appropriate. Thanatos, Moros, and Charon. All of them have roots in Earthen culture, but most of everything from pony culture does at some extent.” Twilight lists off and I try to protest around the Cinnamon Roll.

“He already rejected Thanatos. So it's down to Moros and Charon.” Luna remarks.

“They're both... fitting with his past and have an air of authority to them.” Rarity muses “Granted they are a little grim sounding but... he does hold ties to death...”

“Why don't we just flip a coin then?” I ask my mouth cleared of the delicious Cinnamon Roll. “I don't really like having a name but it's clear I'm not leaving this room without two sets.” I say trailing of into muttering at the end.

“So sun side up for Moros and moon side up for Charon?” Applejack asks pulling out a coin.

“Sure why not?” I say and a coin goes flying into the air. It's rather amazing how absolutely everyone is staring at the coin like it owes them money. It hits the floor and bounces before rolling and coming to a stop right in front of me. An ornate crescent moon visible on the brass coin. “So Charon it is. Are we done then?” I ask stretching my neck a little causing it to pop a few times.

“Of course not silly! We get to have a Found a Name Party!” Pinkie shouts pulling out a canon and I jump away as hard as I can. The canon detonates and bright colours shoot everywhere. I've dived to the ground at this point and I'm covering my head to defend myself from shrapnel.

“Why are you on the ground Nighty? The party cannon can't hurt you!” Pinkie tells me and I look around and the room is covered in scraps of brightly coloured parchment and parchment chain links. There are bright coverings all over the place and a large banner. The banner reads. Congratulations on your new name, Night Shade / Prince Charon!!

“How... how did you get a banner with my names ahead of time, when we just picked out my names?” I ask more than a little stunned.

“It's Pinkie... she just does these things. We're not sure how...” Flutteryshy says gently.

“Hey are those Cinnamon Rolls?” I ask noting the tray baked treats. Wait... there's a whole plate of them where did they come from?

“Yeppers! They sure are! Now come on! It's a party!” Pinkie declares appearing behind me and throwing an arm around my shoulders. I don't even have time to protest. At least I can get some Cinnamon Rolls out of this...

(Thank you everyone for the name suggestions. I used a few that I realistically saw the Mane 6 suggesting before the Necromancer yanked them off track. Also listing all of them would have added on hundreds and I could not bend the speech to include so many without getting ridiculous.)