• Published 7th Nov 2012
  • 44,051 Views, 2,825 Comments

Foal Necromancer - Kytranis



A designated villain finds himself in equestria and his paranoia runs rampent, scaring the locals.

  • ...
100
 2,825
 44,051

Acceptance

“So am I on some kind of folded world?” I ask out loud not expecting an answer. This is what I'm connected to? What does it mean? I need answers and having someone tell me is the easiest way to get them. So to the city then, now how do I get there?

Wait a moment, Gods are supposed to be at their most powerful at their home dimension... I'm supposedly a half-formed god or a demi-god or whatever. So may as well try. I crouch down as I stare intently at the city up above and I jump upwards fully intending to land on the ceiling.

I shoot upwards like a bullet, the air is folding in front of me and seconds later I'm at the level where the mountains meet. I blink in shock at the sheer scope of this world. I'm no longer moving as I seem to be reoriented by the gravity. I'm tilting to the side as I take in the two opposites. The half I jumped off is a massive untamed wilderness, and the only thing it has in common with the opposite half are the matching mountains which are holding one another up, or down.

The one I'm now falling feet first towards is a mass of plains with numerous cities and lakes doting the landscape. I can see orchards and farms all over the place and it's all in neat rows and in a sort of order that just... fits. The city is approaching fast and I ready myself to land.

“Whoa there lad!” An older voice says and I whirl around and realize I landed right in front of a dwarf. I turn and find I have to correct myself. An ancient dwarf pulling a cart full of weapons and armour at that. “Nice o' you to drop in, but ahm in a bit of a hurry.” he says and I step out of the way and he just rumbles down the cobblestone path. I shrug and decide to get some answers.

“Excuse me sir. Could you tell me what this place is? I've... rather stumbled onto this plane.” I tell him as I jog to catch up. He shoots me a sideways look and shakes his head.

“Wizards... bloomin' reckless the lot o' ya. I take it ya're one of those devil may care black robes from Krynn are ya lad?” he asks and I shake my head.

“Never heard of Krynn, is it nice there?” I ask and he shrugs.

“Never been boyo. This be Bytopia, the land o' the restless. If ya ain't gettin dragged to the fire, and ya can't sit still this be yer future home. Ya can work and rest and party on Dothian here, or ya can explore and adventure all about Shurrock with the wild beasties and poke yer nose into all sorts o' trouble.” he tells me as I keep up with ease. “So what brought ya here laddie?”

“I uhm... I've been going through a lot in the last couple days. I just sort of landed here, although I did visit family in Elysium.” I say knowing that the family bit will easily win almost any dwarf over. Hey these people are so predictable that when you've met one, you've met the whole race.

“Good on ya lad. Never turn ya back on clan.” he says grinning to me. I grin back, this is so easy. As a dwarf this man is impossibly reliable, honest to an almost self destructive point, and loves nothing more than a cold mug of ale after a hard day's work. The women don't have beards. That's the only difference. Unless you... nevermind.

“So where are the weapons due?” I ask trying to be friendly. If I'm attached to this world it's best if the people aren't forming pitchfork and torch mobs to hunt after me.

“There's a newly formed group out to hunt for trouble in Shurrock. I'm getting them some gear so they don't come back mauled to bits.” he says and I nod. “It's a rudden shame really, 'parently there's some huge honcho necromancer that young-uns like to go after to prove themselves. I've seen a lot of stupid kids show up here because they reached too far too fast.” he says with a grunt. Oh shit. This went from a potential good thing, to something very bad very fast.

“By the way lad, on the topic of a Necromancer without a name what's yours?” he asks and I cheer internally.

“Charon. A pleasure.” I say offering both of my hands to him and he stops the cart without any issue. Only this dwarf's face and hair suggests age, his body is at it's peak. He grabs them both and vigorously pumps them up and down one time.

“Torgen! The honour is mine good wizard, not many of your kind know how to properly shake a dwarf's hands.” he says with a huge smile.

“The left hand belongs to the shield, if I offer it then I am unprotected and any lies may be seen. The right holds the axe, if I give that hand it means that there is no chance for my attack and I mean no harm.” I say and he chuckles.

“Very good! Where did you learn this? Where you raised by a clan?” he asks grabbing only one handle on the cart, so I grab the other. It moves with surprising ease, I guess it's just well built.

“No, I saw other dwarves greeting each other like that, so when I did it I instantly made friends and they explained it to me. I was a bit younger at the time though.” I say comfortably, and he laughs so hard I think he's about to trip.

“You're a rare one boyo! Just when did ya do this!?” he asks with a huge grin.

“I was nineteen at the time. The next morning I ended up with my first hangover.” I say and he chuckles. “Still I made a lot of good friends that day.”

“Well done lad. A friend with a dwarf, is a friend with a clan.” he says with an approving tone. It seems like I've made an ally.

“Thank you. By the way, think these kids would mind me tagging along? I could use some excitement.” I say and he chuckles.

“Certainly boyo, I was thinking of joining them meself. Do ye have much combat experience?” he asks and I cannot keep the smile off my face.

“Plenty.” I say simply and he chuckles at the one word answer.

“Great, they're just this way lad.” he says and we turn a corner, it takes a lot of skill not to stumble and fall but I manage, barely. “Careful boyo.” he says and I snort good naturedly.

“Didn't expect the turn.” I say simply and as we enter a large open area between the buildings Torgen skids to a stop, with myself matching his pace.

“There you are! What took you, I expected you at dawn!” a male voice calls out and a man a touch taller than me walks out and raises an eyebrow at my presence. I feel... something brush against me... it... it reminds me of Luna, Celestia and Cadance all at once.

“A man of the gods I see.” I state calmly. “Call me Charon.” I hold my hand out to him.

“Augustus, I'm a paladin. How could you tell?” he asks and just as I open my mouth I'm interrupted.

“What's a paladin?” Luna asks and I turn to face her and my jaw drops. She's ravishing. I stare in wonder as the petite elvish woman in a gown of stars walks over calmly. She has an olive complexion and dark blue hair in elegant curls that drape around her form. The black crown with the moon upon it is calmly on her forehead and I... I can't say anything. I'm completely lost for words.

“What do you mean what's a paladin!?” Luckily, Augustus seems to have a lot to say. “A paladin is a holy warrior of a higher call! We are bound to greater moralities than the common man and we strive endlessly, unrelentingly to a better world! We are knights of a the highest calibre who answer to the gods and the people! Not foolish corrupt lords and kings! Who are you to dare to ask such an insulting question!?”

“It was actually a joke from another world. A question so idiotic that it can only be an attempt at humour, or a sign that the questioner has taken serious head trauma.” Luna says calmly and Augustus calms down and runs a hand through his short brown hair. “As to who I am... let's just say that my sister and I have sponsored a few paladins ourselves from time to time.”

Someone I haven't spotted just dropped something, also the silence is amazing. It really brings out the rustling of the leaves and the birdsong. Torgen and Augustus are know kneeling to her. He grabs my arm. “Git, down boy or ya'll piss 'er off!”

“She's more patient than that.” I note wryly and I see her smile. I roll my eyes at this. Torgen looks up at me, shocked at that statement. “How long will it take you to set everything up before the... quest? Excursion? Whatever you want to call it?” I ask and he blinks before getting it.

“An hour or so, gotta make sure all the kiddies know what they're doing.” he says and I nod.

“Can we... can we talk somewhere private?” I ask and she nods. After she finishes nodding a hole in reality opens up, and I can see into the interior of a castle with dark blue and white furnishings. “That'll do... I guess.” I say and follow her through the portal. “If I'm not back in time head out without me. No sense you loosing out because of my... personal problems.” I say and Torgen nods.

I step through the portal with ease and for a moment I feel three places at once. I feel Shurrock, my body back in Equestria and I feel my consciousness and soul here. “Are you alright?” Luna asks, as I stagger for a moment before I nod then shake my head.

“Just... I've never been in three places before... or... am I in three places?” I ask and she tilts her head from side to side. She looks hopeful, but guarded.

“You're connection to your home plane is now acknowledged. Although I must admit, I did not expect Dothian. Is there a mischievous side you're hiding?” she asks and I shake my head.

“I woke up on Shurrock, I travelled to Dothian to get answers from whoever was in that city.” I say and she nods.

“So you won't be dealing with much in the way of gnomes then. Pity, they can be quite funny in small doses.” she says comfortably as she walks to a small couch and sits down. I follow, still a little nervous.

“Yes, but without a break you have to stop yourself from strangling them.” I note and she snorts. “Listen... mother I... I'm...” I start to say but the words keep choking. Why is it so hard just to talk? “I'm sorry, you didn't deserve what I've been putting you through.” I say and I can't even look at her. This is... almost painful. Yet... cleansing I guess. She starts to talk but I put a hand up. “Please just... let me get this all out. It's harder than I expected.”

“Go ahead.” She says and I nod.

“I won't... I can't stop being paranoid so quickly. I don't really remember how. I've lived in endless desperation for so long, that I can barely remember a time when I wasn't living like that. I want to give you what you want but, I'm going to screw up. Often and hard. It's going to be a long time before I'm not a walking nightmare to a normal person. It's going to be a long time before my first reaction to a crowd isn't to fill the room with necrotic energy. I have to stop myself, and consider almost every moment and encounter, or my basic reactions would have emptied the castle by now.”

“To put things mildly, I'm a monster, and I know it. I'm a monster with the strength of a god, and so uncomfortable with society and people that I may very well be insane. I don't think it's normal or even sane for something to need to think hard on how to react around it's own race without killing them.” I finish at length and there's a silence in the room. I can vaguely hear music in the distance.

I stiffen as a pair of arms wrap around me, and I force myself to relax and sink into it. “Maybe, maybe you are a monster. But, I believe you can be something more. We all change, and we all grow into different things. You can still grow and have an almost unique opportunity to do so.” she says and I nod. At a whim I will myself to shrink down into a childlike form. A moment later I'm sitting in her lap and snuggled into her arms.

“We've both made mistakes. I should have explained things earlier, it's just... you're a veritable whirlwind. Shall we put them behind us?” She asks stroking my hair gently and it takes a bit for the words to sink in.

“I'd like that... but you must understand. It's still going to be a fairly rocky path.” I tell her and she nods as she runs her fingers through my hair.

“It feels so neat to have fingers to run through your hair, we must do this more often.” she says and I can feel the smile in her tone. “And yes, I understand that the road will be hard. Yet, Canterlot was not built in a day. In the end, there are two ways for something to change. You have changed quickly in response to literally the world changing. You may... have fought a little more... effectively than most, but anypony would have fought just as fervently to have things keep making sense. You are indeed more frightening than most, and much more dangerous than most. Yet, you are either very sane, or very patient. Perhaps both.” she says and I look up in surprise at the vote of confidence. I also blush as I remember that I'm sitting on the lap of a very beautiful woman.

“Something wrong?” Luna asks and I cough into my fist.

“Well... as a pony I... I didn't really know what the standards of... beauty are and now that I... can see you in something I know more about... you're... you are... sorry.” I say nervously.

“I'm sorry? Sorry about what?” Luna asks in a teasing tone.

“That's not It I was... apologizing because... well you're very beautiful and... well... sorry.” I say and she giggles.

“It's probably a good thing that neither Cadance or Celestia are here, we'd never hear the end of this.” Luna remarks and now I'm confused.

“Of what? That I'm realizing that you're attractive since I'm not seeing a horse when I look at you?” I say dryly and she freezes. Did I just insult her, no wait. She's laughing. “Well excuse me for not knowing the pony standards of beauty!”

“So you prefer elves?” Luna asks and I open my mouth to answer before closing it.

“I'm not taking that bait.” I say simply and she smiles at me and gives me a gentle squeeze.

“Do you have any plans I should be aware of?” Luna asks after we sit in silence for a bit.

“Well... that depends on a few things.” I begin and she raises a curious eyebrow. “Is my body resting? Does leaving it behind count as sleeping?”

“It does, your body will treat this like a lucid dream.” Luna says and I grin.

“Then this will be my vent. There are two realms that I appear as an adult in. One that outside of the few small places are peace is a wild untamed place that I must guess is dangerous right?” I begin to explain then ask and she nods. “Then it will be where I relax.” I say and she sighs and shakes her head.

“Are you asking permission or just telling me?” Luna asks and I tilt my head from side to side.

“Maybe a little of both. I don't really know myself.” I admit and she just smiles. Then she frowns, uh oh.

“I couldn't help but notice your kneejerk reaction to my asking if you like elves. Do you have problems with them?” Luna asks and I sigh. Can I phrase this politely? Probably not.

“I've never had a good encounter with elves. Even the ones that didn't follow human bounties still treated me like dirt and were even more frustrating. If people came after me for greed or revenge, fine! In fact, those are great reasons to get in a fight, when you stand to gain something or when you are trying to honour something else. But elves? Nothing but purest arrogance.” I say and Luna looks perturbed.

“It can't be that bad.” She says and I nod.

“It is but, not for the reasons most assume. I can take arrogance... when it's deserved. It will annoy me yes but it won't really anger me. Elves seem to be under the delusion that living longer means you're better. No, it does not. It's what you do with your life. They act like they're the best species when every single younger species that isn't a roving clan of savages has beaten them in wars, rivalled them in the arts and generally spread further and more easily than any species of elf.” I explain and Luna nods sadly.

“Yes that... is a weakness of the species. No real ambition, but a lot of pride.” Luna admits and I nod. “So, any other plans that you think may be relevant?”

“I... have to do something about the changelings. My head was still partially in scare tactics and 'let's see if I can horrify an army' sort of state.” I say and she gives me a reprimanding look.

“And why would you be in that mental state?” Luna asks pointedly and I look up at her.

“Because I was facing an army. One of the best ways of beating a huge amount of enemies is convincing them that you can.” I say with a smirk and Luna shakes her head at this. She looks amused at least. “Hey, it works.”

“I'm not saying it doesn't. It's just that such methods are rather harsh.” Luna states and I shrug.

“When you're trying to survive morality has little to do with it.” I say with a frown.

“True enough however, you're not just trying to survive. Are you?” Luna asks and I shake my head. “So what was this about the changelings?” she asks and I scratch the back of my neck and accidentally brush against her... oh this is awkward. Maybe I should get out of the beautiful woman's lap? Nah, it's too comfy.

“I used psychological tactics against their leader. She seemed to partially break down, mentioned something about no one ever loving a changeling... any idea what that was about?” I ask and Luna blinks and sighs dejectedly.

“It's a tragic story really. She's actually a distant relation to Cadance, cousins actually.” Luna says and I blink. “Chrysalis is both an immortal and a cousin to Cadance. When Cadance ascended and she didn't, she grew jealous. She began dabbling in dangerous magics, and they backfired. She got what she wanted, at the price of what she took for granted.” Luna says and I think.

“She gained immortality and freedom from mortal needs, in exchange for becoming a monster.” I guess and she nods. “That does explain why my necromancy could only weaken her... and why she seemed to go through a small emotional breakdown as I wiped out her minions.” I muse a touch of guilt hitting me as I realize I basically destroyed her family. Talk about familiar territory.

“She doesn't need pity though. She's had numerous chances to turn back, but she refused every time. No pony knows why, but she choose to be a monster repeatedly.” Luna says and I sigh at this.

“This doesn't make much sense to me. Every time there was a chance to get away I at least looked at it. I may have had a very, very hard time with the most recent one but that's only because all the others were traps.” I say and Luna rolls her eyes. “Hey, better safe than sorry.” I say and she nods.

“On the topic of dangers, don't you have a 'play date' to get to?” Luna asks putting up her fingers to quote the words play date.

“Yes I... I suppose I do...” I say, I'm a little reluctant to get up actually. So instead I turn and hug her closer. “Sorry I... I'm sorry for being a wretched fool.” I say and she gently kisses me on the forehead.

“We all make mistakes, some bigger than others, but in the end even gods make them.” Luna says simply before I get up and stretch upwards and back into a fully grown form.

“Be honest... why are you doing all this for me? Why have you chosen to take me into your home and... well into your heart? I can't figure it out.” I say and she just smiles at me.

“My dear colt.” she says standing up and hugging me. “We all want to be loved at some level. We all need a home and family. When I first saw you in that hospital bed broken and injured, I saw myself when I was a filly lying injured before my sister came to comfort me. Yet, nopony was coming for you. Even then something had to be done.” she said and I blink at this. Is this really nothing but pity again?

“Then we entered your mind. We haven't seen such things in Equestria for millenia, a throwback to the darkest parts of our history. No one deserves such a life. You deserved better, my worst enemy would deserve better. So I've done what I can to give it to you. Actually loving you as my son wasn't... intentional, but it's not something I regret.” she tells me and I can't help but smile.

“Thanks... I... really thanks.” I said a little shyly. I don't really know what else to do or say here. I'm completely out of my depth with emotional matters.

“Before you go out to 'play'. What do you plan on doing if you run into another god by accident?” Luna asks and I blink. I hadn't thought of that.

“I... uhm... I'll think of something.” I say with a shrug.

“And if that doesn't work?” Luna asks pointedly.

“I'll make something up?” I reply, no really. I have no plan and unless I know which god ahead of time, I can't make a plan outside of be polite.

“If that fails?” Luna prompts with a slight smile.

“I'll wing it.” I say grinning despite myself.

“After that?” she asks with a much wider smile now.

“I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.” I say getting honestly amused by this.

“And if all that doesn't work?” Luna requests as she looks like she's holding back a laugh.

“I'll put my head between my knees and kiss my ass goodbye.” I say wryly and she starts laughing but is trying to stop herself.

“I... oh my goodness! I'm sorry it's just... it's not funny but it is!” Luna says shaking as she tries to stifle the giggles.

“And on that high note I should be going now. I do after all have a 'play date'.” I tell her with a bow, I also make a point to flex my fingers to highlight the word. She nods still trying to stifle the giggles.

“You have a couple of hours to play, then we have lunch.” Luna says and I nod. “Also, don't always think you'll have endless free time. When your horn heals I'm going to be enrolling you in school. You need to socialize beyond the palace and it would do well for the ponies of the outside world to learn of you more.” Luna tells me and I sigh.

“Why am I already dreading this?” I ask plainly and she smiles beautifully at me.

“Relax, it's just a group of foals being taught be a more experienced pony. Nothing to dread.” Luna tells me, I don't believe her. There must be something more to kick up this feeling of dread I'm getting.

Whatever, I'll worry about it later. I have just shy of a month if I'm remembering things right. “Alright... anyways I should get going now. I told them to leave without me if I'm late.” I say and she nods. I feel the huge rope like connection from myself to Shurrok, and I will a portal to open in front of me. The next moment I'm facing a hole in the world to the plateau I found myself on earlier. I turn and give Luna a smile and a wave, might as well be friendly right? That is what you do when on good terms isn't it? I step through and it closes behind me.

“Remember! Back by lunch!” Luna calls just before it closes, I nod before focusing on the city above me on Dothian. I try and picture myself there and will such a mental image to be. I close my eyes and focus hard... come on, come on... nothing's happening.

“Lad.” someone says and I feel a gauntletted hand on my side. I jerk away and call up an orb of pure death to my hand as I brace myself for a slash.

“Oh! Sorry, that... teleport was a little bit more... subtle than I'm used to.” I say crushing the death orb in my hand.

“Think not of it lad. Ye didn't hurt me, so nothing to apologize for.” Torgen says and I look around to see a well armed group of adventurers ready to set out. I'm actually a little giddy. They don't want to kill me, and I'm about to see some action. Nice.

“So... that was necromancy...” Someone says and I turn to see a brown haired man with a prominent chin. He's in leather armour and has a bandoleer of daggers.

“Yes, I'm a natural at it.” I say with a smile and his eyes narrow at me.

“So... do you have a name?” He asks reaching for something behind his back. Its... enchanted, but the case is trying to hide that fact.

“Charon.” I say simply, and the same hand comes back out empty as he gladly grabs the hand I offered. All the tension just fled his demeanour...

“James Ricardo. Trap handler, stealth expert and athlete.” he says with a cheery smile.

“Charon. Necromancer, budding elemental mage and dimensional traveller.” I answer back returning his smile. I think this is someone I've killed before. How... awkward.

Author's Note:

Sorry about the wait on this one. I went to upgrade my computer and the data wouldn't transfer to the new hardrive without a fight. Still I ended up getting 944 more gigabytes of memory and a free upgrade from Windows XP to 7. So not all bad I guess.