• Published 7th Nov 2012
  • 44,079 Views, 2,825 Comments

Foal Necromancer - Kytranis



A designated villain finds himself in equestria and his paranoia runs rampent, scaring the locals.

  • ...
100
 2,825
 44,079

Explanation

I like to think I'm courageous but not stupid. I get scared, I most certainly get scared, but I rarely if ever have the option to run without the situation becoming worse. Still if I let this lie it will become worse. If I confront it I may end up seriously pissing off a goddess who's already a little annoyed at me. Nothing for it I guess.

There are no servants nearby, and the doors are so thick that the guards will only hear us if we start yelling. May as well try right? “Excuse me, Luna?” I ask and she looks up startled. I'd made a point not to speak since breakfast and it's been several hours since.

“What is it?” she asks sounding wary. I just swallow my nervousness and decide to plow ahead.

“Two things, why did you go so far as the amulet, and why do you constantly, endlessly treat me like an infirm infant?!” I demand and she sighs.

“How good are you at sensing divination?” She asks and I blink at the sudden question before thinking.

“Bad. I occasionally get a sense of being watched, but that's usually when something is physically present.” I tell her wondering where this is going, is she trying to make a point about something?

“Yesterday evening a divination spell I traced backwards to dimensional barriers homed in on you as you slept. It left when I made a point of comforting you in your sleep. It returned several times consistently drawn towards a specific energy inside you.” she tells me and my eyes widen before narrowing. Well... time for a fight I guess. If they know where I am then they should be here any second now.

“They haven't caught on yet, and it will be a long time until they do if I keep babying you. However my explaining it is a massive risk. They're not watching now, but to dispel the divination would be to arouse suspicion.” Luna explains and I calm down slightly and start thinking. Maybe one of the library books has as divination sense spell or something. My main problem with divination is that it uses so little energy and it uses it so subtly, that I just can't sense it.

“Alright... and the amulet?” I ask a little mollified but mostly worried.

“They're homing in on your...gifts. The amulet both suppresses and hides the gifts. I know that I said that it's important for you to learn to not rely on them, and that is indeed one reason. But, that's mostly the public reason. It's the excuse that everypony will think of for why a small foal is wearing a specialized magic suppression amulet.” Luna tells me and I sigh. So there goes my last ideas of making a fake amulet to wear and switching them somehow.

“Why can't you only treat me like a child when we're being watched? I can't imagine that every time you've babied me they've had their eyes on us.” I ask and Luna looks upwards and shakes her head.

“I would have thought you'd have figured that out by yourself.” She says with a slight smile. “I can sense the divination. However, I get no warning for when it arrives. Rapidly changing the way I act will confuse most ponies and you would have called attention to it. Which would have told anyone with any form of intelligence that something is up.” Luna explains further and I sigh in frustration as I rub the sides of my head. This really does put everything she's done in a new light. It's no less annoying, but the annoyance is only partially from her.

“Just great, one of the main sources of my frustration is too far to strangle.” I mutter bitterly. I have to put up the child act at all times now? Good grief... “Can I at least show a fast development act? Or a quiet bookish type?” I ask and Luna nods. That's a bit of a relief. If I can 'grow up' quickly than I won't have to put up with this for long. If I can add quiet bookish then I won't have to be cutesy, I'll just put my nose in a book.

On the topic of my nose I sneeze into a tissue, I loathe being sick. I readjust the book I'd been reading and gaze down at it glumly. “So... why go this far to hide me? You are the authority in this land, if you say I can stay then I can stay.” I say plainly and Luna sighs and gives me a pitying look.

“I cannot in any good consciousness let Equestria go to war for the sake of one pony, even one that I've adopted. Hiding you is the best option. Myself and Celestia have to put the people of Equestria first, we have to put them above ourselves and our own families.” Luna says and I blink. So I'm safe only so long as my enemies stay away... I guess that's true of anyone but I have consistent food source and these people seem dedicated to healing me. Actually on the thought of being healed.

“Uhm... mom? When can I get my horn healed?” I ask and Luna looks a little uncomfortable.

“Well, a Unicorn's horn will regrow naturally over a period of a month. The reason we haven't put an acceleration on it is because it would have interfered with the growth of your eyes.” Luna tells me and I blink. The patches were supposed to be redirecting a constant regeneration spell into my eyes, so it would have interfered. I guess. “In fact, it's likely you're horn is less jagged than it was a few days ago.” Luna says and I blink before nudging the horn. It is a little less sharp.

“Alright so dump a bunch of healing spells on me, and I get more magic?” I ask and Luna shakes her head. “What now?”

“We need you to be clear of the sickness first. I... I don't know what normal healing magic will do to it, since you've somehow made the germs undead.” Luna explains and I look left and right a little uncomfortably.

“Uhm... is that what the... living presence of a disease is called?” I ask and Luna tilts her head left and right a little.

“A germ is a catch all term for things that cause disease. There are two types, Bacteria which create lesser diseases and viruses which are the harder to treat ones. Although a Bacterial infection can lead to a viral one.” Luna explains and I nod slowly to myself as I digest everything that was being said.

“So I reanimated the bacteria with my necrotic bombs... what are these things exactly? If I know I might be able to control it...” I mutter and Luna starts staring at me before giggling.

“Maybe. Germs without exception are so small that if you had a few hundred together you might be able to see them.” Luna tells me and I blink at the concept.

“That's... that's a little mind boggling.” I admit thinking about just how many of so many small things would have to come together to make me feel like this. What would they even look like? Insects with some sort of claws or malevolent spells or something? I have a swarm inside me and that's what's making me sick... chilling.

“Is something wrong?” Luna asks at my stunned look.

“Uhm... is the whole... I thought diseases were malevolent life forces... not swarms of bugs so small you can't see them. I mean, an angry ghost or the like is understandable, but something that small and so many of them out to hurt you... just creepy.” I mutter and shiver. “The ones I'm dealing with right now are zombies too! That's even worse!” I exclaim and Luna looks like she's choking down laughter.

“Yes, that's what a disease is. The effects you feel is your body fighting it. When you have a fever, your body is trying to kill the virus with heat. When you're tired, your body is using all of it's energy to attack the disease.” Luna explains and she suddenly seizes up and glances towards the corner of the room. I look in that direction to see nothing, and look back to her confused. Wait... are we being scryed on? May as well pour on the sweetness and find out.

“Uhm... mommy why do you look so worried?” I ask making my eyes stretch out to almost unnatural proportions.

“It's nothing to be too concerned about. There have been some magic users spying on the castle. It just comes out of nowhere with little to no warning, so it is a touch startling.” Luna says and I blink my massive eyes and exaggerate a thinking pose.

“But... isn't... well isn't it a crime to spy on other ponies. Especially in the castle?” I ask and she nods gently before shooting a glare towards the corner of the room. A moment later she breathes a sigh of relief. “Are they gone?” I ask and she nods. I breathe out a sigh of relief myself. “How often does that happen?” I ask and she thinks for a moment.

“You've been far too lucky. This is the first time they've tried to spy on you while you've been conscious.” she tells me and my jaw drops. “This is the fourth time. They usually stick around for an hour unless confronted.”

“Just bloody... wait... how do I even know you're not lying to me?” I ask after thinking a moment.

“Oh goodness... I was hoping we were having a connection.” Luna groans rubbing the sides of her head.

“Yes, that pesky thing called sense keeps getting in your way.” I say with a touch more bite than I intend but I'm working well with this.

“For the love of... what is it going to take to get you to trust me!? I've healed you! I've fed you, sheltered you and asked for nothing!” Luna protests loudly. I back up a moment before scowling.

“Guess what? Others have as well, and just when I thought I was finally safe... there comes the knife. The blade in the night, the poison in my meal, the razor wire around my neck, the arrow in my skull, the spear in my heart. I don't trust you, because only the dead have proven worthy of such a thing.” I say grimly, and she just stares at me. She's quiet now, so very quiet. I shift uncomfortably under the weight of her gaze. “Granted... at times even the dead may betray...” I mutter and her expression shifts slightly, but is still completely unreadable.

“Still that's just life. In the end, everything fails. Or more accurately it's simply existence, as even in death all things fail.” I continue bitterly surprising myself. It feels like I'm exposing a wound I'd ignored to the open air.

“I don't believe that. There are things that are lasting and indomitable. Things that are good that do not end.” Luna says evenly, there's no emotion in her tone.

“I'll believe that when I see it.” I reply and she raises an eyebrow.

“What exactly brought on this fresh bought of pessimism?” she asks and I think. It's not an old wound... my mind keeps returning to recent events. Something has me rattled...

“Elysium.” I say quietly with realization. Luna looks at me expectantly. “I did, everything I could to live a proper life. Even though by most standards my life was an endless practice of insanity, I did what I could to live by the proper morals.”

“What are these morals?” Luna asks me and I sigh. Then I sneeze. Have I mentioned that I hate being sick?

“Keep the peace, your word is your bond, and when you have a duty, fulfill it. It can get really complicated in the clergy but for a vagabond you only have three rules. Don't lie, don't look for trouble, and if you're called for something greater, go.” I reply and she look sideways as if thinking.

“Reasonable, if... simplistic and vague. Did you stand by them?” Luna asks and I nod.

“I did. I did all I could to stand by these simple rules. I never looked for trouble, more than enough found me. I'm very honest and every time there has been a call for champions, even that call yesterday... I answered that call and all others before it.” I tell her seriously and Luna looks startled before she sighs.

“I think I see where this is going... maybe. Still confirm it for me. What does this morality code have to do with you believing that nothing can be trusted?” Luna asks and I frown.

“I followed these morals. A group of morals designed to guide a soul to Elysium when their soul is cast adrift, and it failed. I tread within Elysium and was cast out of paradise! Merely being there was tearing me into pieces! So I guess you could say I've been having a crisis of faith... everything I was taught about right and wrong failed. So why would I believe in anything good if what I held as good, isn't?” I explain and Luna starts looking from left to right. She's scheming something, I don't like that.

“What do you actually know of Elysium?” Luna asks me and I blink. This question certainly came out of nowhere.

“Those that live good lives rest in Elysium. What most don't know is that it's merely a place of comfort and purification before they choose to move to the next life. Those that sin and commit evil acts go to the hells when they die, where their souls are scourged of the taint of evil before they are thrown into the next life.” I explain and she nods tentatively. Knowing how the last few days have been working she's about to launch into a large explanation of how things work here or otherwise that may or may not be accurate. However, accuracy aside it is just plain stupid to argue with a god. No matter how much they are downright begging for it... I've even been forcing myself to think in agreement. Just in case she's listening to my thoughts.

“There are numerous afterlives for both the good and evil. Since you weren't outright attacked on Elysium then we can rule out the thought of you being formally slated for an evil one.” Luna states and I blink. Formally slated?

“Excuse me? Formally slated? Are you saying that I am now destined for hell?” I ask honestly curious.

“No, it's just that it's a very, very rare event when an Alicorn dies and does not return in some capacity.” Luna tells me and I narrow my eyes at her. Enough with the cuteness. I need a straight answer.

“Are you honestly trying to tell me that I somehow transformed myself into a truly immortal being, and that I accomplished this by the sheerest chance of the modification on my phylactery and landing in the appropriate area while dead?” I ask and Luna shakes her head. “Then pray tell exactly how in the blue bloody butt-fucking bowls of hell am I immortal?”

“You've already lived longer than any pony or human can naturally.” Luna states flatly. She's dodging the question.

“That's agelessness. A wholly different thing that's not all that hard if you set your mind to it.” I tell her and she rolls her eyes. “And don't even think of mentioning the phylactery. It's a cheat, not an answer. You are implying that I've stumbled on an answer.” I tell her and she raises her eyebrow at my terminology and shakes her head.

“Anyways, to clarify what I think might have possibly been a question... if one by implication... an Alicorn is Immortal due to a connection to another plane of existence. This plane is where any worshippers of ours, or followers of our personal philosophies will go to rest. Celestia is connected to the Seven Mounting Heavens. I hold a connection to Arvandor and Cadance is tied to Elysium.” Luna explains and my eyes widen.

“So I was trespassing when I went there?” I ask and Luna nods.

“More than that, you have a connection to another plane as well. It was trying to pull you in another direction when you entered Elysium that way. Whenever you jump from one world to the next you must now travel to the place you are connected to as a waypoint.” Luna tells me and my jaw just drops. No way. There's just no damn way. I could not have possibly...

“I'm going to need proof before I believe any of this. No changes of topic. No wandering of course or anything of the sort. Proof, now.” I tell her standing up and glaring at the much larger being.

“Oh come on, you're sick can't this wait?” Luna asks and I shake my head. She sighs deeply and nods. “If this is proven, will you start to trust me? Truly trust me?” Luna asks and I blink at the hint of desperation in her voice.

“Trust is two ways and it's rather clear you don't trust me.” I tell her poking the amulet and her eyes widen.

“But you... I can't...” Luna says and I narrow my eyes? Can't? Why?

“Explain.” I say quickly.

“I... I have nothing but respect for your... gifts with the dead... if you only used it for that...” Luna says and now I'm back to confused.

“I have only used it for death, the denying of death, the suspension of death, the bringing of death. These are the things I have done.” I tell her and she sighs.

“You've used these gifts for violence.” Luna tells me and I blink.

“And?” I ask, honestly curious about this now. She coughs into a hoof.

“What is the most... inappropriate thing in your home culture?” Luna asks and I must admit, that caught me off guard.

“Sex I suppose... although the elves tend to find death just as uncomfortable... and dwarves find laziness insulting... halfings hate hunger...” I explain, and my mind starts to wander off a little before I shake my head and refocus myself.

“Yes... well Ponies find violence just as disturbing.” Luna says plainly and I gawk a little. How can... how can any society be built up without some form of violence? Even if you only defend yourself, natural predators and the occasional sociopath make violence a necessity. You don't even need the sociopath, sometimes bad luck turns people into monsters.

“How did... but... alright, I need an explanation.” I tell her and she looks uncomfortable.

“Fine. Our society is holds five virtues above all others. Honesty, Loyalty, Kindness, Generosity, and Joy. Violence is seen as the absolute betrayal of all of these qualities. It is an act of Cruelty that often springs from Greed. To be successful in a fight you often have to be treacherous and deceitful, and a fight only spreads misery.” Luna explains and it almost hurts to try and understand this viewpoint.

“Just because... oh for god's sake just because something is on the opposite side of the scale does not mean it's evil!” I half shout getting ready to rant.

“I know! Many thought that since Night is the opposite of day, and the day is good that the night must be evil. It's not. I'm not. But, it's a very easy pattern to fall into. So much so, that even I am... disturbed by your easy take on violence. Necromancy is to you mainly a tool of violence. You've used it to preserve yourself, but you don't need it in that capacity anymore. Did you know that some of the guards are having night terrors about your cat?” she explains then asks me and I blink before grinning.

“Seriously? That's hilarious! Understandable, but hilarious!” I say, a smile grows at the thought of a grown stallion shivering in fear in front of a little black kitten. Then I sneeze again and my good mood is gone.

“The point is, that you are so familiar with violence, with pain and with death that you are downright casual with it. It barely fazes you, half the time you barely notice pain or acknowledge it. That's dangerous. So no, I can't trust you without that amulet now that I've seen just how comfortable and free you are with such things.” Luna continues, I growl to myself and muss up my hair to get my focus back.

“So putting a slave chain on me with your brand is the next logical step? Excuse me if I consider that an injury on top of the piles of insults I've been getting.” I say growling, now rubbing the sides of my head to help me keep my temper.

“I never told you how strong a block it was. All of your power is still there, it's not taken, it's not even on a strong leash. You just have to concentrate much harder to get it now.” Luna tells me and my eyes snap open, I stare at her for a moment to process what she just said. There is a silence between us.

“You haven't stress tested the amulet have you?” she asks dryly and I shake my head slowly. “Oh for the love of... would you please try to use your powers? Dig hard.” she tells me, and I close my eyes and concentrate. I feel the hole inside myself and it's covering... I feel the outside of the covering and I press against it. There's no wield. So I plow my thoughts into it as I did every time I've done something truly grand, and it breaks open! No, it didn't break. It was meant to open.

“I'm not sure I understand.” I say as I open my eyes again. My voice is now echoing despite my whisper like tone. I can also make out small wisps of red mist in my vision. Weird, but let's focus.

Luna looks impish. I don't like that. “Is this about the fact that you still have your power despite you assumptions, or is this about your fetching new mane and tail styles?”

“What?” I ask in confusion looking back at myself and I find myself at a loss for words. My tail, my hair... it's red mist with... figures standing in the distance. But it's not. “What in the...?” I ask reaching out to the vague shapes in my tail and they move away. I'm far too fascinated to care about dignity at this moment so I chase after them. Come on. I can't get closer... what are these things? Trying to fake them out and diving in the other direction to get a closer look. There is a silence but I put it from my mind.

“Come on!” I half shout doing a hard back flip, yet again both the mist and the figures vanish. I then freeze as I realize just what in the hell I've been doing. “Uhm... oh shit...” I say and there's a choking noise from Luna. She's doing everything she can not to laugh out loud. “Well... how do I undo this?” I ask and wait for her to calm down.

“I apologize, it's just...” Luna says before breaking out into laughter. “I never expected... I never thought I'd see that!” she laughs again. I huff at this but my anger is short lived as the answer that should have been obvious comes to me. I grab my now flowing wisp like mane and pull it towards my eyes. The shapes start to come into focus, then I'm suddenly looking out the other side. Is it all just an illusion? It doesn't feel like one.

“You're body is reacting to the massive reach of power... you need to get used to the barrier.” Luna says and I nod. Now... what do I do with this? Having my physical state stuck like this with nothing to kill or animate, means I'm going to be standing out a lot for a very long time.

“Yes, that and I need to somehow vent my energy without committing genocide.” I say with a sigh and Luna stares at me.

“Exactly... have you ever simply put the energy back where it came from?” Luna asks and I blink.

“Back? It's an endless well of darkness that's constantly spilling over. Pouring energy back into the well simply causes it to come back out at the same time because it's already overfull.” I say stating the obvious. She smiles at me. I don't like it when she smiles at me.

“Have you ever actually tried?” Luna asks and I blink.

“No... it always seemed a pointless gesture.” I say before pulling at the energy in my body and directing it at the hole in myself. It passes through the barrier without issue and is simply gone. “What in the!? How does that even work!?” I demand, the blatant defiance of logic staring my right in my face. I feel like I've been slapped.

“Think of it less like an endless well and more like an endless ocean. Your physical body is as a ship upon it it, and it is empowered by the water itself when it is taken aboard. However, although the endless ocean is the greater portion of your being, the ship is all that can act upon the physical world, and to interact with it your greater self needs to be brought into the vessel that is your body.” Luna explain and I blink a bit to sort out that analogy.

“Does this analogy suit you as well?” I ask and she nods.

“Yes, however it should go without saying that my own ship is larger. To a mortal being the well analogy is accurate, and to you it was appropriate in the past. However as you grew older, and used your gifts more and more the well grew in size and scope. The constant use, near endless use, made a well into a lake, then from a lake it grew into an ocean. What started as a small connection inside you grew into the largest part of your being.” Luna explains and I sigh again.

“So is that a god?” I ask. “A thing of massive energy with a physical vessel?”

“That's... a part of a god. Not the whole. There is more to the both of us.” Luna says and I sigh. “However...”

“However?” I ask egging her on.

“You haven't been an Alicorn for long. Your connections are half formed. To go back to the explanation of whom is connected to where, your connection could very well be half formed. I've... helped it along as you slept however, so it's strong but still only half formed.” Luna tells me and I blink rapidly.

“So... let me get this straight, I was somehow forming a connection to another dimension without my actually knowing. This connection was forcibly pulling me towards it's source while I was in Elysium and it made me feel like I was being torn to pieces. Have I gotten it right?” I ask and Luna nods. “So now that this connection is formed I can in fact go to Elysium without issue?”

“Yes, although you will strain yourself if you do not go to the source of the link first. Yet it will also make travel easier as from the source you can easily travel anywhere. No complicated spells, no rituals or portals, Once you're old enough at least.” Luna says and I blink.

“Is a hundred and seventy years not old enough?” I ask incredulously.

“A hundred years is, yes. But you're only chronologically that age. Physically you're not even ten, and you've only been truly immortal for a few days.” Luna tells me.

“Yes, I don't see a problem here...” I say and Luna sighs.

“Have you mapped out the ways from reality to reality? Do you know how to walk the paths of infinite and not get lost?” Luna asks and I shake my head.

“I need a guide to find my way around in the entropy of existence between places. Last time I simply left my body behind and used my still beating heart as a way back, I used the... connection to my family to find them in Elysium. If I go without an anchor then I'm irretrievably lost with only that one place as a guide.” I note out loud and Luna nods.

“Yes, normally. However, I can find you, and if I can find you and can bring you home.” Luna says and there's something in her tone I can't quite identify. I feel out with my spiritual senses and I detect something. A strong bond.

“Or I can use Bones as a link back.” I say with a grin and Luna blinks rapidly.

“That'll work too.”She admits and my grin widens. “You do realize that when you arrive there you'll likely have a different physical form right?” she asks and I nod.

“Yes, it's probably a spirit realm. Although the flesh may intrude, the spirit is present to the point of being physical.” I say and she nods. If she tries anything while I'm gone then I'm going on a rampage. “Alright, here I go.” I state and I close my eyes and press myself up and out of my own flesh.

I stand up comfortably, once again a being of smoke and thought. I feel several light tethers in this world and a few shockingly strong ones. One of concern and trust leads away and downwards... it feels innocent. Rain-Drop. Another strong one is burning loyalty to an insane degree tempered only by love. It's Bones. That caught me off guard.

There's one to Luna too. It's... she... she really cares. She honestly, truly cares. I don't... I don't even know how anything could fake this. This is the ultimate expression of the soul, you can't lie in this state. I don't even think it's possible...

I tear my focus away from the threads of emotion. I focus on the big one, the braided rope thicker than most legs. It's more than a connection. It's part of me, a two way link. I focus on the link and command it to take me.

“Whoa!” I half shout, stumbling backwards as I find my eyes covered with black cloth and myself suddenly on two legs instead of four. The backs of my ankles hit stone and my legs give out from under me. I'm suddenly sitting on an all too soft rock. This is far too comfortable to be right. Why am I wearing such a ridiculous hood anyways? I grab onto it and sweep it back. The bright light is intense but it doesn't hurt me.

I'm in human form again and clad in soft black robes. With an exaggerated hood that now hangs behind my head. I'm on a green plateau with a few moss covered grey boulders. Below is a large forest with a heft breeze shaking the leaves and massive mountain just behind. I look behind me and see another huge mountain. “So... my spiritual plane is a valley... I honestly expected more in the way of graves and corpses and such.” I mutter still looking around. Maybe there's some zombies or something that will make sense.

“Am I really in a paradise of my own?” I ask standing up and walking around. Everything feels so... perfect. I'm not standing on grass but a field of clovers, I'm passing by natural patches of wild berries and root vegetables. Mix in some shelter and any fool could survive here for years if necessary. Then I look up, and I see the city where the sky should be, and the mountains of theirs that connect to the ones near me. It's so far that I can't even see the people, I can only vaguely make out the buildings. Yet even from here I can tell it's clean and well maintained.

“What the hell? Where am I?”

Author's Note:

So here's the latest one. To those questioning things I am borrowing names from D&D mythology for the alternate heavens. Elysium is a dimension of peace and self-expression, The Seven Mounting Heavens is a place of Law and Goodness where justice is a pure and truly good concept. Arvandor is a place of art and music where the sun never rises, but it's a warm bright night and the plants are more then content off of moonlight and starlight.

And before anyone thinks that the divination spells was just something I pulled right out of my rear to justify Luna's treatment of Charon. No, it's not. It's a portent of things to come, but how will it come? Will a scrying sensor show up the moment Charon speaks of his past? Will a group of assassins simply emerge into the castle and hunt him down? Or will something else happen?