• Published 7th Jan 2012
  • 28,914 Views, 2,736 Comments

Phoenix Wright - Turnabout Storm! - Firesight



A famous racer is found dead in the Everfree, and Rainbow Dash stands accused of his murder. Can an Ace Attorney from another world uncover the truth and prove her innocent, or will Rainbow Dash be banished to the sun for a crime she didn't commit?

  • ...
74
 2,736
 28,914

PreviousChapters Next
Part 9 - Discriminating Evidence

The Judge looked disappointed as Apple Bloom departed, sorry to see the adorable filly go. “The witness brought up some interesting information, but the prosecution has still not tied the defendant definitively to the crime. Do you have more to offer in this regard, Ms. Trixie?” he asked the showmare, who nodded.

“Indeed, Your Honor. For her next piece of evidence, Trixie wishes to present this weather schedule,” she announced, using her magic to pull out a sheet of paper from under her desk.

“Weather schedule? Like the forecast for each day? How is that evidence?” Phoenix asked, initially thinking it had to be bogus but biting his tongue to keep from giving an immediate objection, afraid of embarrassing himself again if it wasn’t.

“It’s what the pegasus weather teams are given to know what weather to make in which areas of Ponyville,” Twilight explained quickly.

Phoenix winced at the reminder of his own ignorance, and the humiliation it had caused. I’d almost forgotten about that! I still can’t believe these ponies control the weather! It sounds like some sort of twist at the end of a bad Twilight Zone episode! he shook his head, half-thinking he should say there was no pun intended to his unicorn co-counsel standing to his right.

“Lo and Behold!” Trixie reared up on her hind legs in her trademark performing pose again. “Rainbow Trash was scheduled to make a large thunderstorm at the eastern end of Ponyville. The Ponyville Weather Patrol, which she herself leads the day shift of, had already stockpiled storm clouds for this task; said stockpile is where she got the cloud she used as the murder weapon from!” Trixie’s horn glowed, floating out a large map of the area from behind her rail and placing it on the mounting stand. It showed Ponyville in the east and the border of the Everfree Forest on the west edge of the map.

“The court accepts this as evidence,” The Judge announced formally as smaller copies were floated to him and Phoenix. The Judge’s copy was deposited gently in front of him on his bench, while Phoenix’s flew up sharply at the last second and stuck itself on his face, to some snickers from the gallery. Growling under his breath, he peeled it off and showed it to Twilight so they could study it together.

It’s really starting to look like Rainbow Dash did it. But I can’t give up! Phoenix thought, reminding himself that he had pulled out trials under bleak conditions before. “What about motive?”

“Hmm?” Trixie looked at him, putting on a disinterested air.

“I was told murder almost never occurs in Equestria. What could drive my client to kill another pony?” Phoenix challenged.

“Oh! That one is easy!” she replied with a dismissive wave of her hoof.

“Please explain, Ms. Trixie,” The Judge instructed.

“Gladly, Your Honor. The first thing you must know is that both the victim and the defendant were to participate in a monumental race called the ’Equestrian 500’,” she began.

Dammit! She knows!” Phoenix swore loudly, slamming his fist down on the rail.

“Phoenix! Language!” Twilight nudged him in admonishment and a sharp whisper, making Phoenix realize he’d just cursed out loud.

“Oh! Sorry.” He winced, seeing some pony mothers in the gallery giving him reproachful looks as they hastily covered the ears of their infant foals.

“The victim, Mister Ace Swift, is a champion athlete and has quite the record, completely undefeated in every race he has ever competed in.” Trixie said, adding a bit of trivia to her statement.

“In every race? That is… impressive!” The Judge said, as amazed as Phoenix was when Twilight told him the same thing.

“Indeed,” Trixie agreed, taking on a haughty air again. “Now, Rainbow Trash was probably intimidated by this and decided to get rid of him like a coward, making it easier for her to win! She is the top pegasus athlete in Ponyville after all; she had a reputation to uphold. And if she won? She would not only gain a large monetary prize, but she could reap a very special reward this year for the winners—flight lessons from her idols, The Wonderbolts,” Trixie recited.

“You have no proof that’s what she was thinking!” Phoenix disputed, though he knew it was in fact only too plausible—Rainbow Dash had admitted as much when he interviewed her.

“So? You have no proof that it wasn’t what she was thinking!” she answered dismissively. “Trixie doesn’t need to establish a motive. How should Trixie know why she killed him? The point is, there is irrefutable evidence that Rainbow Trash did it!” she concluded, and Phoenix cringed to hear murmurs of assent from the audience.

“Okay then, Trixie—let’s hear your explanation of how the murder went down!” Phoenix dared the mare magician, hoping to poke holes in her theory directly.

Trixie grinned as if she’d been hoping he’d do that. “Very well!” she agreed, proceeding to outline her version of events.

“Rainbow Dash went to the Everfree Forest…”

“How can you be so sure she was there?” Phoenix immediately challenged.

She gave him another contemptuous look. “Weren’t you listening to what Trixie said earlier? The storm cloud above the crime scene had her hoof markings! This proves beyond any doubt that the cloud was in her possession!”

“Of course it was—you said herself she’s in charge of the weather teams in Ponyville! Her hoof markings probably end up on all the clouds just in the course of her job!” He mentally kicked himself for not making that point earlier. I have REALLY been off my game this morning!

“Sorry, Mister Wrong, but that won’t work! No other hoof markings except hers were found on that cloud, and on top of that, some freshly molted cyan feathers were found around the clearing—three guesses as to who they belong to, Mister Wrong!” Trixie taunted as she brought out a fresh evidence slip, this one showing blue feather fragments on the ground near Ace’s body, and worse, forensic analysis proving they had been shed no more than four hours before discovery and belonged to Rainbow Dash, causing him to grind his teeth again even as he spared a glance at the defendant’s box. “So there can be no doubt she was present in the clearing that night, and during the time of the murder!” Trixie even anticipated his next objection, causing Phoenix to swallow it.

Rainbow Dash, what were you doing in there? he asked his sullen-looking client silently, remembering the psyche-locks he’d seen on her the previous night and wishing he’d had the time and evidence to break them. “Okay continue,” he invited Trixie, who was only too happy to oblige.

“She saw Ace hanging around the forest for whatever reason…”

“Why would he be ‘hanging around’ that forest anyway?” Phoenix asked.

“That is of no concern to Trixie!” Trixie countered, annoyed.

Phoenix rolled his eyes. “That’s ridiculous! He couldn't have just been out on an evening stroll in the Everfree! He had to have a reason to go into that dangerous forest!” he pointed out.

“If you think it’s so important, why don’t you give us an explanation?” she dared him back, and this time it was beholden on him to do so if he wanted to refute her theory.

But in response, Phoenix could only grind his teeth. “I… I don’t have one,” he finally admitted.

“Thought so. Now, may Trixie continue?” she asked in mock politeness, like she was speaking down to a recalcitrant colt.

“Do you think it’s important why he was in there?” Twilight asked Phoenix quietly.

He nodded sharply, still seething at Trixie. “I know for a fact there must have been a good reason why he was in a place like that in the middle of the night; I just don’t know what yet. I wish I had more time to prepare,” Phoenix rued, cursing himself again for not taking better advantage of the time he had.

“Don't blame yourself, Phoenix. It’s my fault for getting you on such short notice.” Twilight drooped her ears and head.

Seeing her sad face, Phoenix resisted the urge to give her a scratch behind the ears but did put a reassuring hand on her withers. “We’re not going to let that stop us, though!” he promised her, giving the base of her neck a gentle squeeze, surprised at the silkiness of her striped mane.

“Right!” Twilight agreed, feeling her cheeks flush again at his unexpected touch, a wave of warmth going through her body. Sensing and taking strength from his fighting spirit, she stood up straighter again, determined to help him however she could.

“Alright, Trixie. Continue your explanation,” Phoenix invited her, trying to show the mare magician some courtesy even if he never got any in return.

“The remainder of the explanation is so simple that even you could follow it, Mister Wrong!” Trixie threw it back in his face with another insulting grin, causing him to growl anew. “Rainbow Trash saw him at the clearing and an opportunity to permanently retire him from the race, gathered some storm clouds, and—” she conjured a small cloud above the center of the courtroom “—BOOM!!!! fried Ace Swift!” she declared, illustrating her point with a small, magically triggered bolt of lightning that seemed to hit the floor in front of the defense rail with a sharp crack, causing Phoenix to flinch back. Twilight didn’t bother, knowing it was just an illusion—one of Trixie’s many stage tricks.

Phoenix proclaimed authoritatively.

The showmare glared at him. “Don’t point that ugly sausage of a finger at Trixie!” she ordered, making the cloud vanish with another flare of energy from her horn.

Phoenix lowered his arm, deciding perhaps it was best not to provoke the mare magician if she could actually summon lightning, starting to see that pony magic wasn’t entirely benign. “You say Rainbow Dash scoped out the victim in the Everfree Forest that night and saw the opportunity to murder him?” Phoenix summarized, preparing to spring his trap.

“Are you deaf, you arrogant ape? Of course Trixie did! And Trixie is always right!” she boasted with her nose in the air again.

Pausing to savor the moment, Phoenix waited a beat before countering with a single word: “Blind…”

Trixie looked at him like he’d gone mad. “What? Blind is not being able to see; deaf is not being able to hear, you ignorant dolt!” she retorted, getting agitated again.

He shook his head, trying to keep the smile off it. “No, blind—that’s how I felt in that forest last night. I couldn’t see my hands in front of my face without a light source,” he recalled, causing Trixie to gasp and gape anew as she saw what he was getting at. “Even Apple Bloom testified as to how dark it was, and I seem to recall you yourself saying that the Everfree Forest was unnaturally dark even in the day! So, given all that, how could Rainbow Dash have seen Ace Swift in pitch blackness and plotted to murder him on impulse?” he demanded to know, still pointing a finger across the courtroom pit at her. “Explain that, Trixie! That is… if ‘Trixie is always right’!” he mocked, moving his hands to his hips.

Trixie recoiled in shock, her pointed hat shooting off her head like a rocket as her magic misfired.

“You got her, Phoenix!” Twilight cheered, certain the trial was finally turning.

In response, he flashed her a grin. “Thanks! I just have to keep the momentum on our side now,” he told her, newly confident. Rough start, but I think I’ve righted the ship now!

“The defense makes a valid point. Is the forest truly that dark at that hour of the night, Ms. Trixie?” The Judge asked.

“W-well… yes,” Trixie was forced to concede as she pulled her hat back on, eyes darting nervously as she flailed mentally for an explanation.

“Then the defense has pointed out a major flaw in your theory!” The Judge said sternly. “Can you offer any other alternative explanations? Because it is quite clear events could not have transpired as you have claimed!”

“We’re all ears, Ms. ‘Great-and-Powerful’!” Phoenix couldn’t resist piling on. “So what other theory can you conjure that I can shoot down next?” he goaded her.

“Why, you—are you mocking me?!” Trixie glared at Phoenix through narrowed eyes as Twilight couldn’t help but smile at seeing Trixie put in her place.

“No. I’m just debunking your flawed theory!” Phoenix replied evenly, barely able to keep the grin off his face, certain he had won again.

Her scornful smile came back. “Too bad Trixie does indeed have an explanation!”

“Care to share it with us?” an unimpressed Phoenix asked over crossed arms, believing he still had the upper hand.

“He didn’t have to be on the ground, Mister Wrong. In fact, being a pegasus means he was traveling by air. Rainbow Trash probably saw him out flying and, seeing an easy opportunity, followed him into the forest. The woods themselves may be dark, but not the sky above it! She could easily have spotted him flying above the treeline in the moonlight. Yes, that’s it!” Trixie nodded to herself.

“Hmm… that makes sense.” The Judge agreed, to no surprise of Phoenix—he knew from long experience how The Judge always seemed to latch on to the prosecution’s theories, unable to see the flaws in them without help. Case in point, Phoenix reflected, there was a particularly gaping hole in Trixie’s latest theory that even Twilight had seemed to spot, giving him a knowing grin.

He grinned back, waiting for Trixie to finish digging her own grave. “She then followed him to the clearing and performed the dastardly deed, killing Ace Swift with a bolt fired from a storm cloud she obtained from her day job! It is dark in the clearing, yes, but being open to the sky, not as much as the rest of the woods. If you followed somepony in there from the air, it would be easy enough to track them using your other senses,” the showmare concluded, visibly pleased with herself again.

“Sorry Trixie, but that’s impossible as well!” Phoenix informed her emphatically, pointing at her again and now feeling fully in control of the trial.

“Wha—? What do you mean?!” the showmare panicked anew, though Twilight thought her reactions were a little too over-the-top, even for her.

“You said Rainbow Dash was scheduled to cause a storm on the eastern end of Ponyville, where you say she got the storm cloud from?” he reminded her, slamming his hands down on the rail for emphasis. Next, Phoenix picked up his copy of the Ponyville Weather Schedule and showed it to her, pointing at the left edge of the map. “But the Everfree Forest is in the west, according to this weather schedule you yourself submitted to this court!”

“N-no!!” she gasped in an exaggerated manner that suggested to Phoenix she sensed her case slipping away.

Scenting blood, Phoenix went for the kill. “There’s no way my client could have flown to the other end of town and back to get a cloud while still tracking Ace in that dark forest! And even if she did get a cloud and returned with it, he would have been long gone from wherever she initially saw him!” he concluded to whispers of agreement from the audience, leaving Phoenix finally confident of victory.

“The bottom line here is this: Rainbow Dash couldn’t possibly have tracked and killed Ace in the dark with a storm cloud it would have taken her many minutes to retrieve! Case closed, Trixie!” he gave her a triumphant, satisfied grin, once now duplicated by Twilight at his side, who was looking up at him in open admiration and how cleanly and quickly he’d turned around the case.

“Mister Wright is correct. Even by air, it would take some time to travel back and forth between the eastern and western ends on the town, particularly if the defendant had to carry a storm cloud with her,” The Judge concurred, coming around along with the gallery to Phoenix’s side. “I’m sorry, Ms. Trixie, but I see no reason to continue this trial as you have not established a valid working theory of the crime!”

“B-but Your Honor!” Trixie looked like she was flailing. “What about the defendant’s hoofprints on the cloud? Or her feathers at the clearing?” she quickly reminded him.

“They are not enough, Ms. Trixie.” The Judge shook his head almost sadly. “Such evidence is circumstantial at best: the feathers only prove she was at the scene at some point; the hoofmarks likewise only prove she handled the cloud at a prior point—which, as Mister Wright already pointed out, she would have done anyway in her role as shift leader of the Ponyville Weather Patrol. They do not prove she fired the bolt that killed him and, as Mister Wright so clearly stated, it seems all but impossible that she could have!”

“Game, Set, and Match, Trixie! I’ll accept your surrender at any time!” Phoenix rubbed her face in it, taking revenge for all her insults. He knew his late mentor Mia probably wouldn’t approve, admonishing him that personal grudges had no business in a courtroom, but he didn’t care. Trixie took this case based on nothing BUT a personal grudge! And after as much as she’s been calling me names and questioning my ability, to say nothing of trying to convict Rainbow Dash just to hurt Twilight, she DESERVES to have her defeat thrown in her face!

But instead of conceding, Trixie suddenly relaxed and turned a chilling smile on him. “Hehhehheheh…” she gave a quiet, almost gleeful laugh, the temperature of the courtroom pit seeming to drop several degrees again as she did so. “So close, and yet so far! Thought you had Trixie there, didn’t you, Mister Wrong?”

Phoenix was caught off-guard by her sudden change in demeanor, as well as the air temperature. “What?”

“You are absolutely right, Your Honor, about Trixie’s evidence being circumstantial. However, Trixie’s earlier theory was just testing Mister Wrong. Seeing how far he would stumble down the dead-end path Trixie was leading him on. And it was so much fun watching him work so hard to discredit a theory of the crime that Trixie already knew to be false; her brilliant mind having deduced the truth long before this!” She put her nose in the air and hoof on her chest again.

“Ms. Trixie! Are you saying that you deliberately wasted this court’s time?” The Judge looked angry and ready to cite Trixie for contempt on the spot.

“Not at all, Your Honor! I was simply attempting to entertain our audience as any good performer would. After all, they all wanted to see a show, so I’m making sure they get one!” she said evenly, though all present were certain that she had in fact done so for her own benefit, not theirs. “Besides, a good performer always saves her best and most masterful trick for her final act, which has now come. To that end, Your Honor, Trixie would now like to present her true theory of the crime…” she trailed off and then pinned Phoenix with a stare as she offered up a single, devastating word:

“Premeditation.”

Phoenix and Twilight’s jaws fell open. “You can’t seriously be suggesting—” the former began.

She nodded almost giddily. “That the defendant knew he was going to be there and planned to kill him there? Indeed Trixie is, Mister Wrong! And better yet, Trixie has decisive and irrefutable proof!”

She now had Phoenix’s full attention. “Your Honor! The GREAT and POWERFUL Trixie would like to submit this additional evidence that does prove Rainbow Trash is the culprit!” Trixie floated up a new piece of paper, sending copies to both The Judge and defense again. This time, instead of sticking it on Phoenix’s face, she impaled it on a surprised Twilight’s horn, to some muted chuckles from the gallery. A visibly annoyed Twilight popped it off with her own magic, floating it to where both she and Phoenix could read it.

“Hmmm… ‘Missing Cloud Report’?” The Judge read the header.

“Go on and read the rest, Your Honor!” Trixie invited The Judge to recite the report out loud.

After scanning through it silently, he obliged her despite his annoyance at her grandstanding. “Storm cloud CN-23 discovered missing at 6:00PM from eastern end of Ponyville during routine inventory inspection following shift change. Weather mare in charge of previous shift: Rainbow Dash!” The Judge quoted, his eyes going wide as he read the name.

“This can’t be!” Phoenix said in disbelief, feeling his victory yanked away as yet another, even more insurmountable wall appeared in front of them, realizing he had once again failed to give Trixie enough credit—she had not only led him by the nose down completely the wrong path, she had clearly reserved her most damning piece of evidence for last, saving it for when it would do the most damage; a knife stabbed right through the heart of his defense.

“It can’t?” The look Trixie gave him said all too clearly that it could be, and was. “Take one guess where cloud CN-23 was found, Mister Wrong!” the mare magician bade him, and Phoenix could only manage a frustrated growl in response, awaiting the inevitable. “It was discovered when the police arrived at the murder site, hovering right above the Everfree Forest clearing!” she proclaimed grandly, the gallery around them erupting in whispered comments as Trixie attached a second sheet of paper to the report, this one from Cloud Forensics confirming the storm cloud over the clearing was the one reported missing.

The Judge realized the significance of it as well as Phoenix. “My word! So the defendant placed it there herself? This indicates she knew the victim would be there in advance and prepositioned the cloud to kill him!” He reached the only likely conclusion quickly. “I’m sorry, Mister Wright, but this makes all the defense’s objections null and void!” The Judge pronounced with multiple raps of his gavel, each blow like a hammer adding a fresh nail to the defense coffin.

“You are correct, Your Honor!” Trixie nodded eagerly. “The real prosecution theory is that the defendant knew Ace was going to be in that forest, so she placed the cloud in that clearing well in advance of him being there,” she proclaimed, certain that with her final, decisive piece of evidence, she had sealed Rainbow’ Dashs fate. “She then waited for him to appear, lured him under the cloud, and then flew up to trigger the lightning, killing him instantly. Boom!” She conjured another mock bolt. “Truly a heinous crime, and one that deserves the most severe of punishment!” She leaned over her bench and pinned both Rainbow and Twilight with a triumphant look in turn.

Phoenix slammed his hands on the table. “But… but... this still makes no sense! How could she know he would be there? And what reason would he have to go there?” he asked, trying desperately to discredit her logic but finding little to work with now, her new theory having neatly sewn up all the holes he’d poked in her earlier one.

Trixie gave a long, drawn out sigh, like she was being made to suffer fools. “Trixie will say this again, Mister Wrong: who cares? The fact is she did it, and as far as this trial is concerned, that is all that matters!” Trixie said, now fully confident of the verdict.

“I’m afraid she is correct. Lack of motive does not preclude a guilty verdict, Mister Wright,” The Judge reminded him. “You and I have both known murders in our own world where no valid one could be discerned. The question before me is, has the prosecution proved beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant committed the crime? And my current answer is that motive or no, she is getting very close to doing so,” he warned him.

“But she hasn’t yet! She still hasn’t proved that my client was the triggerman—er, triggerpony,”—he stumbled over his own words—“Or that my client was in fact the one that prepositioned the cloud! What if some other pony moved it?” Phoenix asked, grasping at increasingly thinner straws, only to find that Trixie had an answer for that as well.

“You don’t give up, do you? Very well, Trixie will humor you. Yes, you could argue another pony moved the cloud. But the evidence shows that the only two ponies in the clearing that night were Ace Swift and Rainbow Trash. Unless, of course, you can prove there was another, Mister Wrong?” she challenged with a sneer.

“Can you, Mister Wright?” The Judge followed up, having seen him pull this particular rabbit out of a hat before.

But this time, his trick and evidence bag was empty; Phoenix all but bit his tongue as he was forced to concede yet another round to the insulting mare magician. “I… I can’t right now!” he admitted in dismay.

“Then as this sorry excuse for a defense attorney cannot muster a single valid objection, Trixie submits that it has been established well beyond a reasonable doubt that Rainbow Trash moved that cloud to the clearing knowing Ace would be there, and then killed him with it using the first lightning bolt!” the showmare claimed again.

“To review, Trixie has proven that the defendant had access to the storm cloud used as the murder weapon, had opportunity to steal and move it in her role as shift leader of the Ponyville Weather Team, and can be put at the scene of the crime during the time frame of the murder that night. Surely this court may draw its own conclusions as to what it all means! Game, set and match, Mister Wrong!” She drove the knife deeper by using his own words against him.

With that, The Judge brought his gavel down, ending the debate. “I’ve heard enough. The prosecution has indeed proved its case. With all this evidence supplied, it is beyond reasonable doubt to this court that anyone but the defendant could have killed the victim, and I can safely hand down my judgement,” he announced to Phoenix’s sinking heart, drawing himself up straighter. “The defendant will rise to receive—”

“No, Your Honor! There still might be something we’re overlooking!” Phoenix pleaded, stalling for time, his mind racing, trying to find any chink in Trixie's case, no matter how small.

“The prosecution agrees,” Trixie concurred before The Judge could reply, to everyone’s surprise.

“You do?” The Judge blinked. “But I am ready to pass judgement, Ms. Trixie!”

Huh? She’s agreeing with me? Why? Phoenix wondered, instantly suspicious though grateful for the momentary reprieve, using the time to try and find new avenues of attack against Trixie’s case.

“And Trixie is quite eager for you to do so, Your Honor! But she asks that you delay your verdict just one more minute, as Trixie still has some additional evidence to present: this!” Trixie’s horn glowed again, and a large and somewhat charred-looking manila envelope floated up.

“And what is that?” Phoenix asked, seeing a previously sullen Rainbow Dash suddenly perk up out of the corner of his eye.

Trixie’s smile had turned almost lazy. “We found this in the victim’s saddlebags on the crime scene. A little burnt considering what happened, but the contents are mostly unharmed,” she explained, a strange gleam in her eyes.

Rainbow Dash’s rose-colored eyes widened when she recognized the envelope. “Huh?! NO! Please put that away!!” she said in a scared tone, pulling at her restraints like she wanted to dash forward and grab the envelope from Trixie, somehow more scared of it than her imminent guilty verdict.

Trixie gave Rainbow a very knowing and evil grin. “Be warned, Fillies and Gentlecolts, the contents of this envelope are quite shocking—no pun intended!” she announced, gleeful eyes falling on Phoenix and Twilight next. “They contain a rather illuminating look into the life of Rainbow Trash!”

“Trixie, I’m begging you… please don’t open it!” Rainbow again implored, casting a pleading look at Twilight and Phoenix to stop her.

The latter was forced to give his client an apologetic shake of his head, knowing he could not challenge the evidence until it was revealed. Whatever is in that envelope really has Rainbow Dash spooked! What on Earth is in there? And why is Trixie delaying the verdict to present it?

“Fillies and Gentlecolts! Trixie will now reveal to the courtroom what secrets this mysterious envelope holds!” the showmare proclaimed dramatically, opening the envelope with a flourish of her magic, fireworks shooting out of her horn and going off over the center of the courtroom.

“Please don’t do it, Trixie!” Rainbow Dash begged, drooping her ears and sounding ready to cry, leaving Twilight and rest of the gallery shocked to see the normally brash and proud pony reduced to tearful pleading. “Don’t show it!”

For his part, Phoenix felt a fresh trickle of sweat down his neck as he observed Rainbow’s reaction. I have a bad feeling about this, he thought, worried the envelope contained decisive evidence of her guilt. If it did, Phoenix knew it would be the end of the trial, and there was nothing he could do to stop it—the guilty verdict would come down, and he would have failed in his promise to protect an innocent pony.

All he could do was await the inevitable, and hope he could yet conjure up another miracle.

PreviousChapters Next