• Published 5th Jan 2012
  • 7,959 Views, 231 Comments

Deeper Than Friendship - JustaninnocentPony



Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy's friendship is slowly reaching a new level, but will it work?

  • ...
15
 231
 7,959

Discovery(Old)

A/N: This chapter his not yet been Revamped, so the quality may not be up to par with the rest of the fic. Chapters 1,2,3,4, and possibly 5 are planned to be revamped. If the title has (New) by it, it has been revamped


Chapter 4
------------------
Twilight Sparkle didn’t know if she should have been shocked or amazed as she looked upon the two sleeping ponies in front of her. She rubbed her mane in confusion and paced around the clearing. It was clear that the two Pegasi had been very close friends since they were fillies, but that didn’t explain this; it didn’t explain anything!

She had to think back on it, but first she had to think back on how she even got here to witness this event.

***

Earlier That Morning


It was early in the morning; Twilight had made sure she was the first pony up this day. After all, she did have quite a busy day ahead of her. She had made her schedule, and she had double checked and triple checked it, as always.

Spike was still sleeping in his bed; he was always a stubborn riser. But that didn’t matter today anyhow; Twilight didn’t need his help like she did so many other times. She sat down in her library, and began to focus. She was going to reshelf today, and it was a very delicate process that required intense focus. Twilight did have the biggest library in Ponyville, after all. She concentrated her magic until the books floated up behind her.

She started sorting them into various categories: Magical Anomalies and Discoveries, Pony History, Science, Math, and even some Fiction.

“Lets see, Pony Folk Tales and Mysteries belongs in… History”

“Simple Algebraic Equations for Young Fillies goes to… Math”

“Starswelled the Bearded goes in… Magic…or maybe History, I’ll set it aside for later”. The purple mare had gone through several books before one caught her eye.

“Clouds…how odd, that one should go… wait!” All of the books dropped to the floor except for the one that now floated in front of her. She had been conducting an experiment on clouds but never got the chance to ask Rainbow Dash for samples!

She jumped off the floor and began galloping towards the door.

“What’s going on…?” A very groggy voice asked behind her. Twilight turned around to face Spike and giggled a bit.

“Sorry Spike, I accidentally dropped a few books; would you mind reshelving them for me?” Twilight responded as Spike looked to the floor and saw the colossal mess that occupied it. He groaned and was about to complain before Twilight ran off. Great, now he had a job for the day…

***

Twilight ran around town and checked everywhere she could possible think of for the Rainbow Maned Pegasus to be; The Practice Field, outside of Cloudsdale, Fluttershy’s House and many more. Her search eventually led her to Sugar Cube Corner, the last place she could think of.

She rang the bell that sat on the counter and an excited pink pony responded almost instantaneously.

“Hi Twilight! How are you, I’m super excited today because I get to bake more cupcakes! Well, that’s pretty much like every other day; but this time it’s different! Because today the Cakes are gone and they left me in charge of the whole shop. Meaning lots of hungry ponies will want to eat my cupcakes! Isn’t that exciting Twilight?! Are you excited, because I’m excited. Well, not as excited as the time we beat Nightmare Moon, Or Discord. But really, what could top that. Speaking of which, do you think any important ponies will come by and try anything? Ooo, that’d be so cool!” Pinkie Pie ranted.

“Yeah, Yeah, that’s great, have you seen Rainbow Dash since the party last night?” Twilight had little care for her friend’s excitement, it wasn’t important at the moment.

“Hmmmm, Oh! They’re probably in the clearing” Pinkie Pie declared as if it was an obvious fact that Twilight should know.

“The what now? What clearing Pinkie Pie?” Twilight asked confused

“You don’t know? Well, after Rainbow Dash and you guys left I decided I’d follow her and watch how she’d fix things. She went into this super awesome amazing Clearing in the forest and found Fluttershy there! But I couldn’t stay to watch what happened next because I had to go home and clean up. You know, even when you have an amazing party you still have to clean it up? Doesn’t that bum you out too?”

“Yea thanks, bye Pinkie” Twilight sounded unamused as she galloped out of the shop and started towards the forest near Fluttershy’s house.

***

That’s when she saw it. She came upon the outskirts of the evergreen forest, and started walking through its thick brush and dense atmosphere.

“How am I ever going to find a clearing in this mess?” She asked herself aloud. She then heard the sounds of a snoring pony; one that snored a little too loudly, she might add. She followed the sounds until she found the most beautiful area she ever laid eyes upon. The trees were in a perfect circle around it, the ground was all grass and all smooth; it would have been the perfect place to study. As she was exploring her hoof hit something, something breathing. She looked down to see Rainbow Dash’s Figure, but she wasn’t alone. On top of her sleeping body laid Fluttershy, the two were in a very close embrace and the shy pony now wore a rose in her pink mane.

Twilight jumped back and nearly screamed; how was this happening? How had they got to this?

***

That’s the question the Purple Mare was asking herself now. It just didn’t make any sense. How her two best friends could be together like…like…like this. It was too uncanny, it wasn’t right at all. She forgot her experiment and started galloping away. She had to tell somepony what she had seen. Her mind darted to her friends, they had to be her first source to tell!

***

“Darling, whatever is the matter? You look simply awful” Rarity was right. Twilight’s mane was in a confused mess, hairs sticking out here and there. Sweat was beading down her forehead partially from being in such a hurry as well as from her shock. She hadn’t looked this worked up since she forgot to send her letter on friendship to the princess.

“Rarity, you won’t believe it! This is just the…the weirdest thing ever!” Twilight said in frenzy.

“Well dear, are you going to tell me about it?” Rarity asked impatiently. Twilight paused for a moment and explained her situation. After she was done, Rarity just stood there and giggled into her hoof.

“Why are you laughing?” Twilight asked angry and confused.

“Because dear, isn’t it obvious?”

“No?” Twilight blankly answered. Rarity shook her head and began to explain.

“They’re in love Twilight, and from my guess this has been going on for some time.” Rarity spoke as if Twilight was oblivious. Twilight took a step back and shook her head in confusion. Love? Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy…in love? It would explain how close they seemed to be to one another lately; not to mention the worry they’ve shared for each other.

But it wasn’t right in her mind.

“What’s bothering you Twilight?” Rarity asked with little concern in her voice.

“This isn’t right. I mean, Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy?” Twilight had no idea why her friend couldn’t understand it.

“Well, they deserve as much right to be in love as a colt and a mare do, don’t they?” Rarity said wisely. Twilight groaned heavily in frustration, how could Rarity not see the problem with this?! The fact that they’re the same sex was an issue, but a minor one. What if they broke up deep into their relationship? They could never be friends again and Twilight would be forced to pick a side! And then no matter what she did she’d be disappointing somepony!

She had to do something before it got too deep, before somepony got hurt.

Just than a certain cyan eyed mare flew in from above. She looked well rested, as if she had been lying on the cloud the previous night. Twilight snorted at the thought; she hadn’t been lying on a cloud, but she’d been lying under something alright.

“Rainbow dear! Oh, we were just talking about you. How are you doing?” Rarity asked delightfully. Rainbow Dash was obviously off in thought, instead of being focused on the white mare in front of her, she was looking to the clouds. Rainbow snapped out of it after a brief delay.

“Oh…um…Yea I’m fine, I came by because Fluttershy wanted me to check on preparations for the dress you’re making her” Rainbow said while scratching her mane and sounding only half tuned into everything.

“Oh, yes! Just let me check how it’s doing. I’ll be right back” The white mare spoke as she disappeared from the doorway and into the workshop. Twilight tried her best to avert her eyes from the Pegasus beside her.

Rainbow Dash’s gaze drifted back to the clouds again; she couldn’t stop thinking of Fluttershy. She longed to be with the shy mare even though she had just come back from doing exactly that. There was so much perfect about her; her adorable voice, her big blue eyes and warm smile, the way she always inserted politeness into her sentences, her beautiful pink ma-

“It’s nearly done Rainbow Dash! Tell Fluttershy her new dress will be more than acceptable!” Rarity squealed with excitement. Rainbow Dash suddenly snapped back to reality and shook her head.

“Is something wrong Dashie?” Rarity asked curiously

“Huh…What? Oh, um, no, thanks Rarity. You guys said you were talking about me?” Rainbow Dash sounded confused and incoherent with her response.

“Why we were dear! About you and-” Rarity was about to drop the fact that they knew like it was nothing! Twilight put her hoof over Rarity’s mouth and nervously laughed.

“No one, you and no one” Twilight tried to sound truthful but could feel the act quickly slipping. Rarity spat out her hoof and gave her an annoyed look.
“As I was saying, before being rudely interrupted, we were talking about you and Fluttershy” Rarity said carelessly. Twilight could feel herself wanting to punch the mare as she said it.

Rainbow Dash felt her heart sink; how could they know? She started backing up, hastily looking around until she hit something; or rather, somepony.

“Howdy ya’ll, what’s goin’ on?” A thick southern voice spoke behind her. Rainbow screamed and jumped back into another pony.

“Hey guys! Want some cupcakes?” An excited pink mare shouted behind her this time. Another scream, and this time she found herself in front of a shy voice.

“Um…Rainbow, I needed something and…” Rainbow Dash was about to try and fly off when she sighed and gave up, landing on the ground.

“So… you’re all here and you all know” She said bitterly.

“Know what now?” Applejack asked confused

“Yea, nopony told me anything!” Pinkie Pie said offended.

“Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy are together” Rarity replied. Applejack’s eyes widened and Pinkie Pie gasped, bringing her hoof to her mouth. Fluttershy squealed as she heard the words. She turned to Dashie, who looked back. From what she could tell, the rainbow maned Pegasus was just as shocked as she was at their friend’s discovery. They looked at each other for what seemed like ages; as if they were deciding what to do telepathically.

“Well? Are you two love birds gonna say somethin’ or just sit dere’ all day?” Applejack asked, breaking the tension. Both Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash jumped.

“Well, it’s a…um…it’s a long story” Rainbow Dash stammered out.

“We’ve got time. Besides I’d like to here about how this started” Twilight didn’t sound too happy with them. Rainbow considered herself lucky that Twilight was the only one displeased; or, as she could tell. She had yet to see how Applejack, Rarity, Or Pinkie Pie were feeling about it. They all carried unreadable expressions on their faces.

Rainbow Dash glanced at Fluttershy, who nodded her head in agreement. If they needed to tell them, now was as good of a time as any to do so.

Dashie took in a deep breath and began to explain everything. From her confession in Cloudsdale to the previous night’s events.

***

After she was finished she looked from pony to pony; their shock had eased a bit during the story. But this was still a surprise to them, none the less.

“So…Is this official or?” Applejack chimed in.

“We don’t know yet; but it sure seems like it, doesn’t it” Dashie said as she looked to Fluttershy with a smirk on her face. Fluttershy blushed and returned it. Rainbow got up and took her place next to the pink maned pony. Fluttershy responded by giving her a light nuzzle and smiling.

“Ugh! Would you please not do that here?” Twilight grunted annoyingly. Fluttershy squeaked and began to apologize until Rainbow put a hoof on her chest. She stopped and tried to keep her attention focused on Dash so she didn’t have to look to the rest of the ponies around her.

“Well I for one think its sweet” Rarity interjected politely. “Big old Rainbow Dash and sweet little Fluttershy falling for each other, how cute!” She continued on. Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash blushed immensely, trying to look away.

“Ha! Rainbo’ and ‘Shy together; I’d call hayseed on that if I didn’t hear it from the horse’s mouth!” Applejack said before starting to laugh hysterically. Rainbow Dash snorted at her bad pun as Fluttershy giggled beside her. Pinkie Pie gasped again and everypony looked to her.

“You know what this calls for? A Party!” she screamed, jumping up and down; Everypony bursted out in laughter at her randomness.

“No thanks Pinkie Pie,” Rainbow Dash managed to squeeze in between laughs. Telling the truth wasn’t as bad as it seemed; all of their friends seemed to be taking it better than expected. All besides one, Twilight stood in the circle with a frown on her face. This wasn’t amusing to her, not one bit.

“Common Twi’, Lighten up. What’s so bad about this?” Applejack asked as she bumped the purple mare with her shoulder.


“Don’t you guys see?! This can only end badly!” Twilight said urgently.

“What are you talking about Twilight?” Rainbow Dash asked in an annoyed tone. Twilight groaned in frustration and teleported away; she had to think of this some place else. Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy exchanged a worried look.

“Don’t worry girls, I’m certain she’ll come around once she’s thought about it” Rarity reassured them.

“I sure hope so” Rainbow replied.

***

Fluttershy walked into her house, accompanied by Rainbow Dash. The shy pony sat on the floor and was soon joined by her friend.

“Well that went better than I expected it could ever go” Rainbow Dash stated, relieved.

“Yea, I’m glad we could get it out there.” Fluttershy agreed as she buried her muzzle in Dash’s neck. Rainbow Dash smiled and wrapped her hoof around Fluttershy’s neck, pulling her ever so closer. “I just hope Twilight comes around”

“Yeah, me too” Rainbow responded as she kissed Fluttershy lightly. Fluttershy returned it and stayed close to the cyan mare.

***

Twilight paced around her room, every now and again picking up a book and pretending to read it. Spike had already been asleep when she arrived home, even though it was only noon. She didn’t blame him; restacking the shelves must’ve been ten times as hard without magic on his side.

She studied his restless body as he slowly inhaled and exhaled, squeezing his blanket tightly.

“If only I could just sit around and sleep all day like you do Spike, instead of having to deal with problems like this” Twilight muttered to herself as she looked outside her window. At least she knew now how the relationship between Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy started and why, even if she didn’t understand it. She did know one thing for sure though; somehow she was going to have to end it.

END