• Published 5th Jan 2012
  • 7,959 Views, 231 Comments

Deeper Than Friendship - JustaninnocentPony



Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy's friendship is slowly reaching a new level, but will it work?

  • ...
15
 231
 7,959

Best Birthday Ever(Old)

A/N: This chapter his not yet been Revamped, so the quality may not be up to par with the rest of the fic. Chapters 1,2,3,4, and possibly 5 are planned to be revamped. If the title has (New) by it, it has been revamped

Chapter 3
-------------------
Although the sun was slowly setting, it was bright inside of Sugar Cube Corner; “Equestria’s Premiere Sweet Shop”. Inside there were party decorations and games galore; Streamers, Balloons, Confetti, Pin the tail on the pony, and a big, yellow cake. Pinkie Pie was busy bouncing around and blowing her party whistle, Twilight was reading a book, and Rarity and Applejack were sitting at a table.

“Pinkie Pie; have you seen Fluttershy or Rainbow Dash yet?” Twilight asked curiously. At the sound of her name the pink pony stopped and spit out the whistle. She then put her hoof to her chin and tried to think back.

“Hmmmmmm can’t say that I have Twilight” Pinkie Pie responded with little care as she went back to bouncing around the room. Twilight sighed and facehooved at her friend’s random and uncaring behavior.

“Well we simply can’t start the party without at least Fluttershy here” Rarity insisted “Speaking of which, why isn’t she here Twilight? Didn’t you say you reminded her?” She continued.

“Yes, I did Rarity, why would-” Twilight was sounding annoyed before she got cutoff by a door slamming open. Even Pinkie Pie stopped her bouncing to see who had arrived.

“I’m here, sorry everypony, I was late and um…” Fluttershy tried to finish before being rudely interrupted by Pinkie Pie.

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY FLUTTERSHY! Do you want cupcakes? Because I made cupcakes and there’s enough for everypony! Oh, and you have presents from all of us and there’s streamers and Pin the Tail on the Pony and a yummy, yummy cake!” Pinkie Pie screamed ecstatically as she blew her whistle in Fluttershy’s face, it was clear that she already had eaten more than enough sugary foods for the night.

“Um, thanks Pinkie Pie but not right now, I don-”

“Oh and have you seen Rainbow Dash anywhere because we haven’t seen her and last Twilight told me you said that she had some weather chores and a party isn’t a party unless everypony invited is-” Pinkie tried to continue before Twilight put a hoof over her mouth.

“What she’s trying to say is Happy Birthday Fluttershy” Twilight said with a smile on her face. Fluttershy looked from pony to pony who all seemed to by smiling back at her; Everypony besides Rainbow Dash, who wasn’t anywhere to be seen.

“Um…Where’s Dashie?” Fluttershy asked without even thanking Twilight for stopping the cotton candy maned pony’s rant.

“Dashie? Why would you ever use a pet name like that for her?” Rarity snobbishly inquired. Oh no; did she just give something away. She had to say something quick, everypony was staring at her!

“Oh, um, I-I, um, I” Fluttershy tried to squeak out.

“Well it doesn’t matter, what matters is that you’re here” Applejack said nicely. ‘Thank Celestia she cut me off!’ Fluttershy thought to herself as she sighed in relief. But she also dipped her ears back, why wasn’t Dashie there? Had she forgotten about it?

“What’s wrong Fluttershy?” Twilight asked with concern. Fluttershy instantly perked up, she couldn’t give anything away tonight; even if Dashie’s absence made her sad.

“Oh, um, nothing, nothing at all” Fluttershy tried to sound happy as she said it, do to everypony’s, well everypony’s besides Pinkie Pie’s worried face it looked like it hadn’t worked.

“Well? What are we waiting for everypony? Let’s get this party started!” Pinkie enthusiastically shouted as she jumped over to the boom box and pressed the ‘Play’ button.

***

Rainbow Dash yawned as she felt the sun’s warm glow on her back; it was the perfect time and place for a nap. She sat upon a cloud and was looking around the whole city.

“Wow, Ponyville sure is beautiful this time of day” she spoke to herself as she saw the sun setting on every house and building in the town. They were all dark by this time; well, all except for Sugar Cube Corner. Which was odd, Sugar Cube Corner usually closed at 6 pm every night, and it was an hour past that.

Rainbow Dash brushed it off as she laid her head on the cloud and closed her eyes. ‘Pinkie Pie and the cakes must be doing one of their all night Saturday specials’ she thought. But…it was Wednesday, not Saturday…

Rainbow instantly bolted up as panic rushed to her head; it was Fluttershy’s birthday! She took off from the cloud and began flying to the lit up sweet shop.

“I hope I’m not too late!” she said worriedly before stopping in her tracks; she hadn’t gotten a gift either! How was she going to look showing up at the party being the only pony without a gift! Rainbow turned all around, every shop was closed by now, what was she going to do?

She continued to turn and turn as she rubbed her head. Then something caught her eye, a Rose! Fluttershy would love a rose! She soared down to it and was about to pick it before something else came to mind; how was it going to look when she gave Fluttershy a rose…? She tried to think of something else she could give Fluttershy as she looked to the sky. The sun was almost down and it was getting dark; what if she missed the party completely! She sighed reluctantly and picked the rose, it would have to do.

She began to fly off towards Sugar Cube Corner; hopefully she would make it in time.

***

Music blared loudly as everypony was having fun playing games, eating cake, and dancing. Everypony but Fluttershy, though she tried her best to seem happy, she couldn’t seem to keep it up with Dashie being gone. Why should it even matter that she was gone? Why did it make Fluttershy feel like something was missing?

Fluttershy was sitting at a table, lightly poking a piece of cake. She sighed and hoped that before the night was out that Dashie could make it. She rested her head on her hooves and continued to stare at the doorway. Applejack stopped dancing and came over to her table.

“What’s wrong sugar cube? You’ve been actin’ sad all night” she sounded worried for her friends well being.

“um… I don’t want to talk about it…” Fluttershy gave up the attempt to sound happy.

“Common, please tell us, we can’t bare to see you like this” Applejack persisted

“I…I can’t” Fluttershy barely whispered. Applejack sighed and sat down next to her. Pinkie Pie bounced on over, followed by Twilight and Rarity.

“Say something, anything, please” Twilight begged.

“We’re very worried dear” Rarity said softly.

“Yeah! Quit being a party pooper and say something!” Pinkie Pie yelled annoyed. The other three ponies gave her a quick dagger eye glance before turning their attention back to Fluttershy.

“Does it have to do with Rainbow Dash not bein’ here?” Applejack leaned in and asked.

“I-I-I-I don’t want to say” Fluttershy squeaked, averting her eyes from the other ponies.

“Well how are we goin’ to know what to do if you won’t tell us anything” Applejack didn’t let up. Fluttershy didn’t want to speak about Rainbow; she was afraid she’d give it away about what’s been happening between them.

“Please” all four ponies asked in unison while looking at their shy friend. Fluttershy’s heart was pounding as she lowered her face partially below the table. She was shaking now, it was too much pressure; she had to go, she couldn’t stay here.

“I-I-I have to leave, I’m sorry” Fluttershy managed to say; she didn’t wait for another response as she began to run away.

“Fluttershy wait!” Twilight shouted behind her. Fluttershy didn’t listen as she bolted for the door. She ran outside and continued running down the street as she could hear her friends calling her name from behind.

***

Rainbow Dash crashed into Sugar Cube Corner at an immense speed.

“Where’s Fluttershy? Am I late?” She hastily asked

“Oh, you’re late alright” Twilight said harshly. She looked at all of her friends, they were not happy in the slightest.

“Did I miss it?” Rainbow Dash asked with pain in her voice. They all nodded and gave her death stares

“Why weren’t you here? Fluttershy practically ran off when we asked her what was makin’ her so sad; and it turns out that somethin’ was you're absence” Applejack shot at her.

“Yea, you stupid big Meanie Pants!” Pinkie Pie shouted. Rainbow Dash felt awful, Fluttershy must be devastated. She started to back out.

“And where do you think you’re going?” Rarity spat.

“I have to make this right” Rainbow Dash said as she ran out the door and flew off in pursuit of Fluttershy.

“Should we follow em’?” Applejack turned to twilight and asked. Twilight thought for a moment and shook her head in disagreement.

“We’ll let them sort it out themselves” Twilight said lightly.

“Did anypony else find it suspicious how worried they seem to be about each other recently?” Rarity asked curiously. All the ponies stopped and thought for a bit; they saw it now too.

“Yeah, that is quite odd… Isn’t it” Twilight said thoughtfully.

***

Fluttershy was running down the street towards her cottage, tears flying from her eyes; she didn’t even want to face her friends tomorrow, she just wanted to be alone. Her clearing would be the perfect place to be right now; nopony would ever bother her there. She reached the clearing, tears still forming in her eyes as she sat down on the grass and cried. Tonight had been horrible; not only would her friends not let up, but the pony she cared most for didn’t even bother to make it. Why did she care so much about her cyan colored friend?

Rainbow Dash flew all over town, checking everywhere for where Fluttershy could be. She checked her cottage, her garden, the meadow, the park. She couldn’t find her anywhere! Rainbow flew down to the street and checked all directions; she then hung her head in shame. How could she be such a horrible pony as to forget her best friend’s birthday? She sighed and laid on the park bench; she looked to the stars and longed to be with the shy Pegasus.

“If only I could be I could be with her in that clearing again; that was such a magical night” she sighed to herself as she rested her head on the bench. She closed her eyes when it hit her, the clearing! Fluttershy had to be there! She wasted no time as she took off and started flying towards the forest.

***

Rainbow ran through the forest breaking twigs and scattering leaves; she was uncaring of whatever sounds her hooves made. Eventually she reached the small area, and sitting there on the grass in front of her was none other than Fluttershy. Her mane was a mess, and it was obvious she had been crying. Rainbow Dash carefully trotted up behind her.

“Fluttershy?” she spoke softly. At the sound of her name Fluttershy spun around and saw her friend standing a few inches from her. Joy swelled through her heart as she looked up to the worried Pegasus.

“D-D-Dashie?” Fluttershy spoke between tears. Rainbow Dash nodded as she helped Fluttershy up off the ground.

“I’m so sorry Fluttershy; you have no idea how bad I feel.” Rainbow spoke, tearing up herself. Fluttershy didn’t care, she was just happy to see her.

“I-I-I forgive you” Fluttershy said in a small voice. Rainbow Dash smiled and remembered the rose she had gotten for her.

“I… I got you something” She said as she pulled the rose out from her mane. Fluttershy felt her heart skip a beat looking upon the wonderful specimen. She blushed and smiled back at Dashie.

“I-it’s perfect… I love it” Fluttershy said breathlessly. Rainbow Dash walked over and placed the rose in her friend’s mane. Fluttershy then tackle hugged her to the ground and held on tight. Dashie blushed and returned the hug; she could feel her heart beating out of control now. Fluttershy could feel it too, along with hers as she retracted from the hug and looked into Rainbow’s eyes. Maybe it was love she felt; maybe she had fallen for her best friend.

Fluttershy moved forward and kissed Rainbow Dash deeply, closing her eyes. Rainbow nearly had a heart attack as she returned the kiss and held it for as long as she could. After awhile both of them pulled back, furiously blushing. Fluttershy laid her head upon Rainbow’s chest; Rainbow Dash could feel her heart explode as she wrapped her hooves around her shy friend’s back.

“Fluttershy?” Rainbow Dash asked as if she wanted to tell her something.

“Yes?”

“I…” Rainbow Dash seemed hesitant to say what was on her mind.

“Hmmm?” Fluttershy asked lightly

“I…Love you…” Rainbow Dash instantly regretted it; what if she got rejected again? Fluttershy was redder than an apple as she thought on her friend’s words. Did she love Dashie? She could only think the answer to be yes; there was no other way to explain what she was feeling towards the rainbow maned Pegasus.

“I-I-I lo” Fluttershy could barely speak; she was trying to say it back but the words wouldn’t leave her mouth.

“What was that?” Rainbow Dash started to listen closely

“I-I-I-I” Fluttershy’s voice started to drop

“I can’t hear you” Rainbow tried to be gentle with her. Fluttershy closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

“I love you too!” She blurted out as she felt the warm feeling surge through her again; but this time it was different, stronger, more so than it had ever been before. Rainbow Dash blushed as she looked into the yellow pony’s eyes; she smiled and laid back on the grass, looking to the sky. Fluttershy laid back down on Dashie too as she felt her wings spread out again; but this time she didn’t mind it, this time it made her happy.

All of the presents in the world couldn’t compare to this joy she felt right now, here with Rainbow. Nothing mattered right now, not even what everypony was thinking about her running off like she had. She closed her eyes and squeezed Dashie tighter; hoping this would never end.

She had never felt anything like this in her life; these rapid heart beats, the warm feeling, how being around the cyan colored pony made her feel stronger, like she could take on anything.

There was no question about it; this had been her best birthday ever.